shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your “jewelry rules”, if any?

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I only have a few rules:
Yellow or rose gold only - (personal preference. I make some minor exceptions - generally in the summer with very bright silver and stones that override the silver look, or for gifted pieces.)
14k or greater (darn allergies)
Pearls always alone (no layering or stacking) to avoid damage
On our wedding anniversary, I always wear pearls from the rehearsal dinner or wedding day.
Always my wedding band - it helps me feel close to my husband :)

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I almost always wear my CBI in 18kt yellow gold ring as my wedding ring, except when I am going to be in the water. When I fish, swim, kayak or just play with the grandkids in shallow water in the lake, I take it off. I lost my first wedding ring while snorkeling in Okinawa and learned my lesson well. Gold had gone from $35 per ounce up to a over $150 per ounce since I had the ring made and I was no longer in Brasil and would have had to pay five or six times what it cost to make in the first place. As a poor Marine Sgt. I was just not in the market at that time.

I have a Chris Ploof ring that I wear on my right hand with the same rule. No in the water wearing. I spend so much time in the summer in the water, that I will frequently just put them both in the safe for weeks at a time.

Salt water is the worst, as not only does it make your fingers slippery, but the salt desiccates them a little, making them not only slippery, but smaller than normal.

Wink

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost always wear my CBI in 18kt yellow gold ring as my wedding ring, except when I am going to be in the water. When I fish, swim, kayak or just play with the grandkids in shallow water in the lake, I take it off. I lost my first wedding ring while snorkeling in Okinawa and learned my lesson well. Gold had gone from $35 per ounce up to a over $150 per ounce since I had the ring made and I was no longer in Brasil and would have had to pay five or six times what it cost to make in the first place. As a poor Marine Sgt. I was just not in the market at that time.

I have a Chris Ploof ring that I wear on my right hand with the same rule. No in the water wearing. I spend so much time in the summer in the water, that I will frequently just put them both in the safe for weeks at a time.

Salt water is the worst, as not only does it make your fingers slippery, but the salt desiccates them a little, making them not only slippery, but smaller than normal.

Wink

@Wink -

My husband and I both have / had Chris Ploof rings. I had the meteorite and he has the Damascus steel. Which one do you have? Are either of us twins with you? :))

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have the Damascus steel Makume Gane. I hope my twin, your husband, got the same, live long and prosper genes that I am blessed with.

Wink

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I always go out with at least one piece of jewelry.

Makeup and earrings are a set for me. I either wear both or none.

I have a dainty bracelet with a star and moon charm thats 18k gold thats on one of my wrists at all times. And I really do mean at all times (except when I am cleaning it). My mother got it for me when I was 10 (I was a big fan of star and moon patterns), and I have been wearing it for almost 20 years now. It's holding up well and it's been on me for so long that I feel like it's a part of my identity haha. Seeing it always makes me smile because when I was looking at the bracelet in the store at age 10, my mother told me to not be ashamed of asking for expensive jewelry and that I can wear anything I want.

Edit: Attaching a photo of the bracelet.

No ankle bracelets or toe rings and no watches.

i am impressed !

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Always have earrings on as I have multiple piercings. There is something very refreshing about a naked ear tho.

I don't like multiple rings on one hand - stacked is ok, but not adjacent fingers. Generally one stack per hand or one ring per hand.

I'm not a huge fan of mixing metals, except for blackened with silver or gold.

I like to keep an edge to things. If I wear pearls, add something blackened or with my skull pendant, leather etc.

I believe you don't have to spend much to have fabulous jewelry, but some stuff I just won't wear. Pandora charm bracelets, those big open heart diamond pendants of the 80's and 90's come to mind. I won't say anything but I cringe when I see them. Some of my favorite pieces cost a few dollars to put together. A shell from the beach on a leather cord, or a wire-wrapped agate my son found.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Always have earrings on as I have multiple piercings. There is something very refreshing about a naked ear tho.

I don't like multiple rings on one hand - stacked is ok, but not adjacent fingers. Generally one stack per hand or one ring per hand.

I'm not a huge fan of mixing metals, except for blackened with silver or gold.

I like to keep an edge to things. If I wear pearls, add something blackened or with my skull pendant, leather etc.

I believe you don't have to spend much to have fabulous jewelry, but some stuff I just won't wear. Pandora charm bracelets, those big open heart diamond pendants of the 80's and 90's come to mind. I won't say anything but I cringe when I see them. Some of my favorite pieces cost a few dollars to put together. A shell from the beach on a leather cord, or a wire-wrapped agate my son found.

i need to see pictures of these favorites ......

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Clean diamonds = happy sparkly diamonds. Hot water rinse for earrings after exercising most days and wash with dishwashing liquid at least once a week. Pendant and rings off when exercising, house work and sleeping.

Matching metals colors (typically platinum/white gold), gemstone types and earrings/pendant styles whenever possible. Length of necklace and design matched to neckline of clothing. Try to coordinate metal color with any other metals on accessories (handbag, shoes, belts). Yes, crazy obsession with matching.

E-ring and wedding ring sits flush (personal preference). No e-ring in situations of high risk of lost/damage.

Jewelry comes off at home. Minimal jewelry when travelling and will bring a small jewelry box to keep items together and safe from damage.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i need to ban myself from putting earings in my sponge bag if we go away for the night
for some reason i keep thinking this is a safe place
the only safe thing about it is at least i find all the broken pieces

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
Yellow gold and rose gold only -- except for diamond hoops in white gold because I thought it would make the diamonds more sparkly (which it does but white metal does not play well with my fair skin). My daily wear if leaving the house is engagement ring on left hand and multicolored diamond anniversary band on right hand, small hoop or dangle earrings, watch on right arm. Typically a simple pendent on a chain or a small DBTY necklace.. Maybe a single bracelet or small stack on left arm if I'm feeling sassy! I always remove jewelry when I get home. I am getting a wedding band for Christmas after 35 years of married life so we will find out if I'm comfortable wearing it with my ER!!!!

Last edited:

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
My personal rules:

-no dangling earrings. I love the way they look but they tend to give me a headache. (I have one pair of extremely lightweight hoops I wear occasionally and for very short periods of time.) 9 times out of 10, I'm wearing one of my two pairs of diamond studs.
-no rings on adjacent fingers; I don't like the way it feels
-on the occasions where I don't feel safe wearing my engagement ring & eternity band, I wear a plain gold band. I have to wear a ring on that finger otherwise I keep panicking that I must have lost my rings.
-I never sleep in any jewelry. Everything gets taken off, cleaned, and stowed safely before bed. Similarly, I don't wear in jewelry in the bath/shower/etc.

While not a rule and more of a tradition, I wear my wedding earrings on our anniversary as well as for any black tie/white tie events. (They're gorgeous. Victorian OMC cluster earrings set in YG. Very sparkly and extra.)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results