shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your “jewelry rules”, if any?

Another fun discussion topic that struck me today.

My personal jewelry rules are as follows:

- I feel naked without earrings and I absolutely HAVE to wear them, even if I’m just going to the grocery store

- I don’t like to wear rings on neighbouring fingers, so if I wear a ring on my ring finger I will only wear another ring on my index

- I hate stacking bracelets/bangles with my watch and I never will. In general I almost never stack two bracelets together either

- I almost always wear a watch, and only on my left wrist

- I always wear a necklace with a low cut top, even if it’s slightly low cut. The second you can see even a hint of décolletage I will wear a necklace, even if the necklace doesn’t actually cover up any skin.

Let’s hear yours!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i like the rule of 'look into the mirror before you leave and take one thing off' - don't always follow it though

i don't buy expensive earrings, that's the jewelry item i tend to lose most often. i'll usually pair the earrings to my outfit, not necessarily the rest of my jewelry.

i wear my chunkier necklaces or pearls pretty much only for professional meetings (or, the rare zoom appearance these days)

when i mix metals i like to tie everything together somehow (one piece with two-tone or multi-color metals)

i don't wear rings on my pinkies or thumbs, they don't stay put as well as on other fingers

i'll leave my wedding set at home and wear an alternate or plain band if my ER clashes with something else i want to wear. i love it but it doesn't go with everything.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too feel naked without my earrings.

White metals only, except perhaps for the bezel around a blue/green CS.

Only 1 ring per hand.

Diamond for RH, and pearl or CS for LH.

One watch and nothing else on my left wrist.

No more than 3 bracelets/bangles on my right wrist.

No matchy matchy.

DK :))

elizat

Ideal_Rock
One ring per hand. Usually I don't wear right hand rings.

I don't layer or stack necklaces or bracelets. I don't stack rings either or wear bands. Just one ring at a time.

I usually wear earrings outside of the house.

Other than that, no real rules.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never wear jewelry at home.

When I go out, I always wear earrings and one of my engagement/wedding rings.

I often wear a thumb or index finger ring.

I won't wear 2 rings on one finger, or rings on adjacent fingers.

I will wear a right hand ring or necklace when I'm dressed up.

I usually don't stack bracelets, but on the rare occasion I do, I won't wear more than three.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every day when I leave the house I must have:
*Necklace
*Earrings
*One bracelet on each wrist
*At least one ring on each hand, sometimes two. And more if I'm stacking!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One ring (or wedding set) on ring fingers, only, and I usually do not wear a RHR.

Minimum leaving the house to run an errand: earrings and either wedding set or diamond band on left ring finger.

If I go out to eat, etc: earrings, wedding set, pendant or necklace, maybe a watch or bracelet. I'd never have things on both hands and both wrists. Too much for me. Three is my max. (That's kind of the "put on jewelry and then take one piece off" philosophy, I guess!)

I don't stack bracelets or pendants. I like to keep my fine jewelry in excellent condition. I clean my diamond jewelry often in jewelry cleaner. I use the ultrasonic more rarely.

I like classic and antique styles that will stand the test of time. I also like to have a few pieces of iconic branded jewelry.

I probably wear 3-4 things 95% of the time. Then add another 5-6 that I wear occasionally. I have a good many things that I don't wear but am saving to give to my daughters for special birthdays over the years. I really need to slow down and not collect as much. I am working this year on getting my most worn pieces set or upgraded to their final form!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I'm another one who never wears jewelry at home. The moment I come in, I wash my hands then put everything away.

I never wore or will wear, yellow gold. It makes me looks sickly.

Only wear rings on one finger at a time.

Never wear bracelets or watches, and my fave earrings are basic studs.

The only things I layer are my pendants.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear jewelry almost 24/7. At least a ring, a band if not my ering. Stopped wearing earrings to sleep. Now, unless exercising, I wear my ring, and usually earrings. But everything else just depends on my mood.

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
I wear a diamond solitaire necklace all day, every day. It's on a 14 kt 16" wire and is weightless.
Platinum micropave eternity with 2 rose gold DK stackers daily.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
No watches (I always have my phone with me, which has a watch function)

Minimum to leave house is wedding band and earrings, but only small post earrings if face and hair aren't done.

For the most part, buy less expensive jewelry from now on.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t take my rings off unless I’m washing my hair. I always wear my engagement ring and a diamond band on my left hand and a right hand ring on my ring finger. Anytime I’m not wearing a RH ring I give myself a minor heart attack “wheres my ring !!!” until I remember I’m not wearing one.
I only very occasionally wear a pinky ring as well, never any rings on my thumbs, pointer or middle fingers.
I always wear a chain necklace with pendant and I rotate amongst my many choices. Some are only for “going out”.
I always wear a watch and bracelet or two on my left wrist. I wear nothing on my right unless I’m going out. I walk Mica (Saluki) on my right side and she is the one that gets overexcited at the sight of a cat. Don’t want to risk loss or damage.
Nearly always wear stud earrings during the day, but never to bed and never in the shower. I only wear dangles for going out.
Seeing as I’m retired and not wearing a business suit anymore I don’t wear brooches and rarely my pearls. They used to be a work wear staple.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Haha I love this thread! Bring on the quirks.

I cannot wear any rings on my pinkies or thumbs.

I dislike wearing rings on adjacent fingers, but if I decide to they need to be staggered so as not to touch.

I always carry a cleaning cloth because I have very sensitive eyes and feel crazy if I can see the slightest blemish or dust spot on a stone.

My rings always come off to eat or wash my hands (hence why I've lost two super-ideal diamonds in rings I had custom designed).

Anytime I'm wearing a necklace I center the clasp every few minutes without even thinking about it.

All jewelry comes off to shower or sleep.

I don't like to wear anything around my wrists, which SUCKS because I love the look of bracelets.

I'm sure there's more, but that's enough for now :shhh:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot I don't stack necklaces, except for two rows of pearls with one clasp as in a double-stranded pearl necklace.

Also no necklace with dangling earrings unless they are very small dangles; and all jewellery comes off except my Fitbit watch when I go to bed.

DK :))

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
Rings come off in the shower (I hate the feeling of tight rings so mine are all a touch looser than they should be and I worry about them slipping off). Earrings come off at bedtime. Necklace stays on all the time.
Earrings, necklace, e-ring, wedding band worn daily. Initially I stopped doing this during the pandemic but eventually decided that even if I'm just wearing leggings and walking my toddler to the playground I like wearing SOMETHING.
I very rarely wear anything other than the above, especially since I haven't had a "special occasion" of any kind to dress up for in over a year.
Bracelets are not my thing. I love the data from my Apple Watch and I feel like bracelets don't "go" with the look for me.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I love this thread! Bring on the quirks.

I cannot wear any rings on my pinkies or thumbs.

I dislike wearing rings on adjacent fingers, but if I decide to they need to be staggered so as not to touch.

I always carry a cleaning cloth because I have very sensitive eyes and feel crazy if I can see the slightest blemish or dust spot on a stone.

My rings always come off to eat or wash my hands (hence why I've lost two super-ideal diamonds in rings I had custom designed).

Anytime I'm wearing a necklace I center the clasp every few minutes without even thinking about it.

All jewelry comes off to shower or sleep.

I don't like to wear anything around my wrists, which SUCKS because I love the look of bracelets.

I'm sure there's more, but that's enough for now :shhh:

Just a suggestion: carry a jewelry pouch so you can tuck your rings away when you feel the need to take them off.

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Always wear earrings, ER, wedding ring and eternity on left hand, a right hand ring or stack, necklace and bracelet when going out.

Ring and bracelet stacks in odd numbers.

Only rings on ring fingers

Do not stack necklaces.

Take jewelry off when home except wedding band and left hand eternity.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
only wear rings on ring fingers.
Don't stack anything except rings.
Always wear watch on left wrist (i'm right handed)
wear earrings, and a ring on each ring finger, and watch, everyday, even if not leaving the house.

Edit --I should probably add that these aren't "rules" but what I seem to end up doing, so more of a "preference".

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only jewelry rule is to wear what I love when I want to wear it. That’s it.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t have any particular rules, but I feel naked without my wedding ring.

Also, this is sort of different, but does anyone feel a connection between diamond stud size and age? I wear 1ctw studs most days and I feel like the size is perfect for me right now. I know it’s completely in my mind, but when I wear my smaller diamond studs I feel like I look younger. And even though I do plan to upgrade to a larger size eventually I have no interest in doing so right now because I feel like anything larger would make me look older than I am. This is just on me personally, I never see other women and think “wow those earrings make her look young/old” and I know it’s all in my mind anyway. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just my own flavor of crazy?

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rings only on ring fingers.

Ering plus one or two wbs on left hand.

If I wear a bracelet on my right hand, no RHR. Bracelets may be stacked up to three.

If I wear a pendant, no RHR. Sometimes I will wear my dbty with another pendant but usually just one.

Watch on left hand, no bracelets on left hand.

Earrings always. Plain studs if wearing a pendant. Cluster studs only for dressing up.

Note- at the PS gtg a few years ago I broke a lot of these rules. I think it is expected to go all out at PS functions lol!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread!
Rings on left hand ring finger only (this is new, finding RHRs uncomfortable lately), necklace that complements the outfit, same studs, either WG prongs or YG bezels.
Lately have been wearing my Apple Watch because I’m getting a lot of texts during work and it’s easier to check if it’s important (students love when I switch it to Toy Story characters too!).
I wear bracelets only in the summer when going out and I will stack them!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
- I always wear at least one pair of earrings, my wedding and engagement ring when I'm out, plus usually one RHR, a bracelet and a necklace. At a minimum, always something on my left ring finger and some earrings, or I feel nude!

- When I'm home, all hand and wrist jewellery comes off!

- No watches, I can't stand the feel of them on my wrist

- I only wear rings on my ring fingers, I dislike the feel of rings on any other finger

- I've discovered I'm not a stacker of rings or bracelets, so only one RHR and only 1 bracelet, always on my right wrist

- I only wear rose gold, but any prongs/baskets holding diamonds I prefer to be white gold/platinum, but any solid metal pieces or bands on rings are rose gold

- I like my 5 stone e-ring to be my standout piece, so nothing to overshadow it. My centre stone is .70ct so I like to keep all other single stone pieces, like studs, under .70ct each. Sounds strange now that I'm saying it! :rodent:

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Fun.

-Rose gold and white metal together look great to me but not rose gold and yellow gold.

-Not a fan of gold-plated silver or very many simulants. Sterling silver and semi-precious stones are awesome though.

-I always wear something on my wedding ring finger even if it isn’t a wedding or engagement ring. If I forget, I say I’m disengaged. :p

-95% of my stones are <6mm.

-My professional dress code attire is one stud each ear, one ring each hand, one bracelet, one necklace. Outside that environment I will stack bracelets and rings but for some reason am not into stacking necklaces.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t have any particular rules, but I feel naked without my wedding ring.

Also, this is sort of different, but does anyone feel a connection between diamond stud size and age? I wear 1ctw studs most days and I feel like the size is perfect for me right now. I know it’s completely in my mind, but when I wear my smaller diamond studs I feel like I look younger. And even though I do plan to upgrade to a larger size eventually I have no interest in doing so right now because I feel like anything larger would make me look older than I am. This is just on me personally, I never see other women and think “wow those earrings make her look young/old” and I know it’s all in my mind anyway. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just my own flavor of crazy?

That’s me. Bot diamond studs but just big earrings. Bigger and dangly earrings look absolutely amazing on other people. I’m looking at you @yssie . Makes me drool and fantasize. I put them on and I feel old. I was scarred growing up in the 80s, watching Alexis and Krystal wearing gold door knockers on their ears.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results