shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L Those are zircon, emerald/tsav, & tourmaline (it's screaming at me:lol:)?

Would you wear zircon and cuprian together?

I posted that up above around the middle of this page

That’s a tsavorite in the middle. :)

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I posted that up above around the middle of this page

That’s a tsavorite in the middle. :)

Would you show more of zircon and cuprian together, under normal light setting? The 10/7 post were taken indoor?

Just trying to learn.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Warm light
55766A74-7DE5-483A-AAE0-52BBACD48DC6.jpeg
Would you show more of zircon and cuprian together, under normal light setting? The 10/7 post were taken indoor?

Just trying to learn.
That was taken in a combination of indoor and outdoor light.

Indoors, the zircon photographs darker with my phone, but it is a very light bright gem. It’s so hard with my iPhone 8 to get a decent photo of it. It’s such a gorgeous gem, it looks fake. It sparkles to the moon. Zircon is a seriously underrated gem.

My best photo of it taken with my husbands better iPhone. Also a photo indoors of the cuprian and the zircon, the latter which looks much better irl. The things most cameras can’t capture, besides sparkle, is luster.

Cooler light
7B312114-53D2-46D2-BC81-329AE9883A6D.jpeg

With better camera
34AD4FBF-D881-4680-A70D-3C2E4D2F1C88.jpeg

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I'm about to give up on my blue sapphire quest when I saw this!

I’m glad! I can’t wait to see what you find. Your collection is one of my very favorites!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I’m glad! I can’t wait to see what you find. Your collection is one of my very favorites!

That's a lot of pressure, joking! I've seen probably 100+ blue sapphires in person and online but nothing clicked, sigh. I guess it's a good thing to be picky, no?

Thank you and I"m glad you like to see them.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Warm light
55766A74-7DE5-483A-AAE0-52BBACD48DC6.jpeg
That was taken in a combination of indoor and outdoor light.

Indoors, the zircon photographs darker with my phone, but it is a very light bright gem. It’s so hard with my iPhone 8 to get a decent photo of it. It’s such a gorgeous gem, it looks fake. It sparkles to the moon. Zircon is a seriously underrated gem.

My best photo of it taken with my husbands better iPhone. Also a photo indoors of the cuprian and the zircon, the latter which looks much better irl. The things most cameras can’t capture, besides sparkle, is luster.

Cooler light
7B312114-53D2-46D2-BC81-329AE9883A6D.jpeg

With better camera
34AD4FBF-D881-4680-A70D-3C2E4D2F1C88.jpeg

Oh, we have a same geriatric phone! :lol-2:

Does your zircon, dare I say it, has a slight steely undertone?

I went to see a blue zircon in person and FAKE is the word for it. I liked it when it was fully “on” but then it muted like a medium dark indicolite next to my mediocre Paraiba. That was a bit disappointing and I had high expectation. The cut of that zircon was decent too. Maybe it wasn’t the best example and I need to see one that’s lighter in tone and higher in saturation…?

Zircon is known for the sparkles, not glow?

Well cut is important for this gem so it doesn't go "off"?

Sorry for many questions. TIA.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, we have a same geriatric phone! :lol-2:

Does your zircon, dare I say it, has a slight steely undertone?

I went to see a blue zircon in person and FAKE is the word for it. I liked it when it was fully “on” but then it muted like a medium dark indicolite next to my mediocre Paraiba. That was a bit disappointing and I had high expectation. The cut of that zircon was decent too. Maybe it wasn’t the best example and I need to see one that’s lighter in tone and higher in saturation…?

Zircon is known for the sparkles, not glow?

Well cut is important for this gem so it doesn't go "off"?

Sorry for many questions. TIA.

It can look steely, but I like that. I think it holds its own against the paraiba because of the incredible light return and luster. It’s the color of a deep blue aquamarine, which tend to be slightly grayish. Paraibas are all about color, since many are very included, and lack the sparkle or luster of a well cut zircon. I appreciate both gems for their finer attributes.

I’m not sure what you mean by your stone “muting” in certain light, because that zircon always has so much light return, it’s incredible. Maybe it’s the way it’s cut???

Last edited:

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
It can look steely, but I like that. I think it holds its own against the paraiba because of the incredible light return and luster. It’s the color of a deep blue aquamarine, which tend to be slightly grayish. Paraibas are all about color, since many are very included, and lack the sparkle or luster of a well cut zircon. I appreciate both gems for their finer attributes.

I’m not sure what you mean by your stone “muting” in certain light, because that zircon always has so much light return, it’s incredible. Maybe it’s the way it’s cut???

Thanks. I guess color is priority for me at the moment and that comes before light return and luster. Having them are great bonuses...if I like the color first, no?

Here is the zircon. The cut isn't terrible but I'm sure your round is better. It's a deep cut but doesn't have a completely flat crown. These were taken under indoor yellow and natural combo light. I didn't get to see it outdoor.

Maybe it has too much green?

On
IMG_1086.jpg

Off
IMG_1137.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I guess color is priority for me at the moment and that comes before light return and luster. Having them are great bonuses...if I like the color first, no?

Here is the zircon. The cut isn't terrible but I'm sure your round is better. It's a deep cut but doesn't have a completely flat crown. These were taken under indoor yellow and natural combo light. I didn't get to see it outdoor.

Maybe it has too much green?

On
IMG_1086.jpg

Off
IMG_1137.jpg

It’s lovely. I tend to gravitate toward pastels though, which is more the tone of my zircon. They are often cut very bottom heavy, which is why many are great candidates for recuts..

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
It’s lovely. I tend to gravitate toward pastels though, which is more the tone of my zircon. They are often cut very bottom heavy, which is why many are great candidates for recuts..

I didn't see the double refraction. That's a must for zircon?

I should definitely see a lighter tone next.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't see the double refraction. That's a must for zircon?

I should definitely see a lighter tone next.

I believe lapudaries can orient the stone so that it doesn’t show as much double refraction. Not sure, but double refraction can make a stone look blurry.

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I believe lapudaries can orient the stone so that it doesn’t show as much double refraction. Not sure, but double refraction can make a stone look blurry.

Interesting. Blurry not = glow, right?

I think a Portuguese cut might be fun for this material. I seldom see a modern round cut like yours.

Thanks TL.

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. Blurry not = glow, right?
Thanks TL.

No, blurry is not what destroys gemstone glow. Typically gems “glow” when they have intense or vivid color like a nice paraiba. My zircon does not glow. Think of a pale blue diamond, fine luster, sparkle and brilliance, but it doesn’t “glow” as they’re often grayish. My zircon is similar. I used to try and figure out why people loved certain gems even though they weren’t vivid in color, and we all like what we like, but I think some people are just extremely attracted to luster/brilliance in a well cut and polished gem. Your stone is very deep, which deepens saturation, and hence tone, therefore that’s why it probably “closes up” in some lighting as you state. I found my zircon as part of a pair recently, and swiped them up because I haven’t seen a diamond cut blue zircon in a long time.
49B556CE-A535-46CA-B79D-D7AD01BA9664.jpeg

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
No, blurry is not what destroys gemstone glow. Typically gems “glow” when they have intense or vivid color like a nice paraiba. My zircon does not glow. Think of a pale blue diamond, fine luster, sparkle and brilliance, but it doesn’t “glow” as they’re often grayish. My zircon is similar. I used to try and figure out why people loved certain gems even though they weren’t vivid in color, and we all like what we like, but I think some people are just extremely attracted to luster/brilliance in a well cut and polished gem. Your stone is very deep, which deepens saturation, and hence tone, therefore that’s why it probably “closes up” in some lighting as you state. I found my zircon as part of a pair recently, and swiped them up because I haven’t seen a diamond cut blue zircon in a long time.
49B556CE-A535-46CA-B79D-D7AD01BA9664.jpeg

Thank you for sharing your CS experience and being patience with me. That's a nice pair. I will not give up on finding the right one quite yet, lighter tone and better cut..

I guess that I'm still in the minimal to no brown/grey tone stage. Maybe I would catch up with the pastel and the trendy grey hue stages, eventually.

Hope your oversea project is going well and can't wait to see what that is. Good luck!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing your CS experience and being patience with me. That's a nice pair. I will not give up on finding the right one quite yet, lighter tone and better cut..

I guess that I'm still in the minimal to no brown/grey tone stage. Maybe I would catch up with the pastel and the trendy grey hue stages, eventually.

Hope your oversea project is going well and can't wait to see what that is. Good luck!

I gave up on that project, but thanks!! I’m not into super grey gems, but a little grey doesn’t bother me like it used to.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love my husbsnd’s iPhone camera!

512C8BFE-C1C9-4E1E-AF0F-0E47AB943337.jpeg E5A7321B-D2FF-47E0-81AF-ED33E7E18435.jpeg A138332B-00BC-417F-82BF-454680737B6D.jpeg 8441DF2A-4671-47BF-8DEB-FB3C13CC9956.jpeg

I love your gems more than any iPhone :)

But wow, look how the colours, depth and sparkles are captured!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I just picked this up today, and am very pleased! I took my a previous e-ring setting (I switched to platinum) and a small garnet ring that no longer fit and was in a too-dainty-for-me setting, and combined the two. I think it gives the garnet much more presence. New garnet ring face.jpg Two rings to one.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Since I’m practically home all the time, the only bling things I wear are jadeite bangle or bracelets and recently have been into stacking bracelets. Diamonds for the bling factor and the family of jadeite fishes because they remind me of my family

925F5BA4-D1EF-4FF5-99F3-A76634DE32EA.jpeg

Happy Diwali/Deepavali to those who celebrate this festival!

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I just picked this up today, and am very pleased! I took my a previous e-ring setting (I switched to platinum) and a small garnet ring that no longer fit and was in a too-dainty-for-me setting, and combined the two. I think it gives the garnet much more presence. New garnet ring face.jpg Two rings to one.jpg

This is such a great and resourceful combo! Well done

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results