shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yeah, i feel like they were just waiting for someone who didnt know better. I grew up in Mendocino (Willits), and like a lot of touristy towns people tend to take advantage when they can. Its really sad.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, i feel like they were just waiting for someone who didnt know better. I grew up in Mendocino (Willits), and like a lot of touristy towns people tend to take advantage when they can. Its really sad.
You are right. I live the in a tourist town now, and I also see how common that is.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some pictures for today....All A grade, untreated. First, my new jade pendant, which will arrive a few days after I arrive back home next week. It's not completely mine until it arrives! Also, I saw these carved jadeite earrings today in Mill Valley. The jade is lovely in the neutrality of color....I wonder if the tops of the earrings compete with the jade because of the elaborate and voluminous design. Somehow, they almost look like different earrings altogether. The jade is beautiful though! I learned that there is a jadeite supplier around Marin called Pillar and Stone, which has a plentiful range of fine, untreated jadeite along with other gems( the jade in the earrings comes from them). They will bring "trays and trays of jadeite" at a scheduled meeting through certain jewelry stores, somewhat like Mason Kay.

IMG_4300.jpg
IMG_4297.JPG

Last edited:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Keeliamira, I've technically been on a buying ban since the start of 2016!! I've finally figured out that moderation is the key. Going cold turkey doesn't work for me, lol..

I know what you mean... This ban thing isn't working out well AT ALL. Every month or so I find myself falling down another rabbit hole, solidly pushed by something or another I see posted here, lol! This week it's been jade... Between the gorgeous bangles and icy pendants and earrings fellow PSers have posted, I've fallen hard. And I really am a jade and jadeite neophyte so I am stepping carefully. For me that means buying a handful of small, mostly vintage, odds and ends to examine, feel, and study with the hope of understanding more. But still, this week's odds and ends have already added up to more than $300 and the week's not even halfway through!

Bluegemz, your lacy white jade earrings are absolutely gorgeous!!!

Here's today's suite, btw. I think I've posted the rings before, but today I've paired them with my 2.89cttw muzo emerald earrings. I'd like to eventually reset the earrings in something with shiny bright silver behind the stones to help close the windows a bit more and improve the color... I'm open to any helpful hints. Please forgive the dry hands and cruddy lighting.
IMG_20170815_215824056.jpg

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sabrina, its sad. Some poor person is probably going to buy the glass bangle and inevitably it will break and it will be heartbreaking for them. When it breaks, it will be obvious that it's glass. I told the sales woman that they should remove the bangle for liability reasons, like injuring someone or accusations of fraud. But I had the feeling they had no intention of removing it. I could be wrong though...

I know how you feel. I see plenty of such chicanery in Yangon, where not exactly a "touristy" town, is the landing pad for international leisure and business travellers. Kyanite passed off as sapphires, non-Burma South Sea pearls passed off as Burmese ones (hence priced at a premium), African/glass filled stones and of course, plenty of treated jadeite sold at nonsense prices. I've also had a few pieces of stones set in non-18K gold that were charged to me as 18k gold and franked with the 18k sign too.

I do point these things out because I feel that I cannot just walk away point blank if I know. There is also little recourse and while the authorities may levy a small fine on the shop for deceit, they are still allowed to continue their day to day business.

But ultimately, there are always willing buyers who go for either the colour or design or size. This also applies to the locals who cheat their own people.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a better photo of the earrings during the day... They are my favorite color emerald although they are lighter than the ideal. They are almost free of internal inclusions.
IMG_20170721_180526089.jpg

Keeliamira, they are ALL beautiful! I love your emeralds! I think the especially clean, and lighter colored emeralds are absolutely stunning in color. They look great with your rings. In your first picture, is the large, round gem in your ring a tourmaline? That is such a wonderful size and color. You have a true set in the earrings and rings. I think the earrings are beautiful as is, but backing them with silver would also be lovely.

Thank you for the compliment, but the lacy white earrings are not mine. However, I wish they were lol. Seriously, the lavender jade pendant is going to be my last bigger purchase for a while. I'm banning myself from larger purchases for a while.

I think you are doing great by buying estate things to educate yourself. It's such a fun adventure! Also, estate/vintage/antique things have a great value and often possess special beauty. I LOVE doing this. And, I know all too well how that can adds up fast lol.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know how you feel. I see plenty of such chicanery in Yangon, where not exactly a "touristy" town, is the landing pad for international leisure and business travellers. Kyanite passed off as sapphires, non-Burma South Sea pearls passed off as Burmese ones (hence priced at a premium), African/glass filled stones and of course, plenty of treated jadeite sold at nonsense prices. I've also had a few pieces of stones set in non-18K gold that were charged to me as 18k gold and franked with the 18k sign too.

I do point these things out because I feel that I cannot just walk away point blank if I know. There is also little recourse and while the authorities may levy a small fine on the shop for deceit, they are still allowed to continue their day to day business.

But ultimately, there are always willing buyers who go for either the colour or design or size. This also applies to the locals who cheat their own people.

Burmesedaze, I can imagine that it can be extremely tricky with all of the gem economy where you are. It's astonishing that people cheat like that.
I once bought a pink sapphire bracelet and necklace set, which was stamped 18k. My heart sank when,
after 2 days of wear, I noticed the silver showing through the gold plating. It was a true battle to get my money back. I was lucky that I was able to with some help from other merchants who had to essentially threaten the seller with suspension from trade associations. As soon as the seller got word, they removed questionable stock, changed their tags and prices, etc. I really was grateful. Without connections, I would have had no leverage over them without legal proceedings. I am certain that I would have been stuck with the silver plated set and would not have been able to get money back.

What happened with the plated metal pieces which were stamped 18k? Were you able to recoup some money from the seller?

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They probably would have tried to argue that the gold hinge is worth at least a thousand lol. No thankyou!

Quite.

I rather feel sorry for the reputation of glass bangles ... Could imagine they would be better loved - especially with gold thrown in, if not deprecated via deception.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quite.

I rather feel sorry for the reputation of glass bangles ... Could imagine they would be better loved - especially with gold thrown in, if not deprecated via deception.
This is true! For a few hundred, sold as a glass bangle with gold, would be a lovely piece of jewelry.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could purchase the aqua ...

The aqua ring reminded me of a piece from Old Pricescope - a ring with a smaller, but still Large step cut... which, does not seem to have ever pleased any owner, so it is still drifting around WWW.

I am not sure what I'd do with a small-ish box hinged to the back of my palm !

---
... just catching up with this fast thread: fantastic purple jade ! ... and the earrings are so beautifully carved - perhaps simply a fast carving design & so effective (nice studs pegged to them, for whatever reason). Had not realized that you have not received the pendant yet ... Will be waiting to see how it plays with your subtler violet & purple stones - jades and sapphires ! (good to see that jade is loved as it comes - the subtle & the extreme - billed as perfect)

Starting the day (07:25)

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Burmesedaze, I can imagine that it can be extremely tricky with all of the gem economy where you are. It's astonishing that people cheat like that.
I once bought a pink sapphire bracelet and necklace set, which was stamped 18k. My heart sank when,
after 2 days of wear, I noticed the silver showing through the gold plating. It was a true battle to get my money back. I was lucky that I was able to with some help from other merchants who had to essentially threaten the seller with suspension from trade associations. As soon as the seller got word, they removed questionable stock, changed their tags and prices, etc. I really was grateful. Without connections, I would have had no leverage over them without legal proceedings. I am certain that I would have been stuck with the silver plated set and would not have been able to get money back.

What happened with the plated metal pieces which were stamped 18k? Were you able to recoup some money from the seller?

Nope not at all. So I just stop patronising them. Sent the gold pieces with another goldsmith to melt and add more gold content to reuse for my pearl earrings. That way I just pay for the workmanship and additional gold to bring them to 18k. That was from a pair of pink and white sapphire earrings. The white sapphires turned out to be topaz instead.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a better photo of the earrings during the day... They are my favorite color emerald although they are lighter than the ideal. They are almost free of internal inclusions.
IMG_20170721_180526089.jpg
Oh my. I love this shade too! They look great with your skin tone. You may have just ignited my interest in emeralds (don't have any. Yet!).

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The aqua ring reminded me of a piece from Old Pricescope - a ring with a smaller, but still Large step cut... which, does not seem to have ever pleased any owner, so it is still drifting around WWW.

I am not sure what I'd do with a small-ish box hinged to the back of my palm !

---
... just catching up with this fast thread: fantastic purple jade ! ... and the earrings are so beautifully carved - perhaps simply a fast carving design & so effective (nice studs pegged to them, for whatever reason). Had not realized that you have not received the pendant yet ... Will be waiting to see how it plays with your subtler violet & purple stones - jades and sapphires ! (good to see that jade is loved as it comes - the subtle & the extreme - billed as perfect)

Starting the day (07:25)
Valeria, I've seen that ring! I think you are right, somehow it never pleased any of its owners. I wonder why.

I will take a few pics of the new pendant along with my other blues and lavenders, once it arrives. It's much more vivid than my lavender jadeite ring and earrings, but that's ok. I imagine that I will like the range, as you mentioned, the subtle and the extreme. By comparison, my little lavender jadeite ring is quite humble, but I still love it. The pendant works well with the bangles and sapphire rings.

Wishing you a good day, Valeria!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope not at all. So I just stop patronising them. Sent the gold pieces with another goldsmith to melt and add more gold content to reuse for my pearl earrings. That way I just pay for the workmanship and additional gold to bring them to 18k. That was from a pair of pink and white sapphire earrings. The white sapphires turned out to be topaz instead.

It's good that you had the metal re forged. You're not stuck with the old product. I believe taking an action prevents us from feeling powerless and victimized by such experiences. Good for you, Burmesedaze! May I ask, what became of the topazes?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wearing all colored stones lately, yellow diamond on the left hand and alternating between a couple of rings for the right. Not the best photo, but it's an unheated padparadscha sapphire. I really like it in the summer.

20170813_180655.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz- The earrings are beautiful but the pendant- it takes my breath away. I absolutely feel the soft romance that pendant radiates.

Keeliamara- Your suite is fabulous! I love the spring green color of you emeralds. I find myself wishing for an emerald when I see ones like yours.

doberman- Gorgeous unheated padparadscha sapphire ring. You said your picture is not the best- but the lotus flower color is apparent in the photo and it is stunning!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wearing all colored stones lately, yellow diamond on the left hand and alternating between a couple of rings for the right. Not the best photo, but it's an unheated padparadscha sapphire. I really like it in the summer.

20170813_180655.jpg

Love this color! What a gorgeous ring. :love:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

20170813_180655.jpg
Doberman, what a treat to see an unheated padparadscha. They are not easily found! Looks very gentle and glowingly warm, like a sunset.I can imagine that it pairs beautifully with your yellow diamond too. It's gorgeous! Thanks for showing us.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz- The earrings are beautiful but the pendant- it takes my breath away. I absolutely feel the soft romance that pendant radiates.

Keeliamara- Your suite is fabulous! I love the spring green color of you emeralds. I find myself wishing for an emerald when I see ones like yours.

doberman- Gorgeous unheated padparadscha sapphire ring. You said your picture is not the best- but the lotus flower color is apparent in the photo and it is stunning!

LisaRN, thank you for the compliment! I'm delighted that you understand the inspiration of the pendant! It's a long time coming....I have been searching almost everyday for the right lavender or blue jade pendant for 5 years. I have seen many which I've loved and were almost right. When we went to Lang's, it was the only lavender jade pendant which they had, and I wasn't really looking for anything specific other than wanting to see their star sapphire inventory. As soon as I put it on, I knew it was 'the one'.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Bluegemz- passed the lot to my jeweller as I don't need them :)

Doberman- love the pad colour that glows even in a slightly unfocused shot!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Doberman, your pad is so beautiful. What a delicious color!
Keeliamira, they are ALL beautiful! I love your emeralds! I think the especially clean, and lighter colored emeralds are absolutely stunning in color. They look great with your rings. In your first picture, is the large, round gem in your ring a tourmaline?
Thank you dear. I wish my photography wasn't so fuzzy. The large round gem is not a tourmaline. It's a 4ct sparkly stone which were not allowed to mention here. But it is my absolute favorite full value peacock blue green color. It shifts from true emerald green with gold flashes and to deepest peacock during the day, to indocolite blue in incandescent light at night. It also has a very fine spray of rutile needles which can only be seen from one angle, and which I actually adore staring at in the sun. I think I may put it in a Julia B setting at some point in the future.
Oh my. I love this shade too! They look great with your skin tone. You may have just ignited my interest in emeralds (don't have any. Yet!).
Thanks for the sweet compliments! I think emeralds would look beautiful on you and be a lovely addition to your wonderful collection! One great thing about them imho is that they come in so very many shades that it would not be hard at all for one to find which color best compliments one's tastes and coloring.
Thank you Lisa. The glowy green of my earrings is an instant mood lifter when I'm having a down day. Btw, I'm a Lisa too :P2

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doberman, your pad is so beautiful. What a delicious color!

Thank you dear. I wish my photography wasn't so fuzzy. The large round gem is not a tourmaline. It's a 4ct sparkly stone which were not allowed to mention here. But it is my absolute favorite full value peacock blue green color. It shifts from true emerald green with gold flashes and to deepest peacock during the day, to indocolite blue in incandescent light at night. It also has a very fine spray of rutile needles which can only be seen from one angle, and which I actually adore staring at in the sun. I think I may put it in a Julia B setting at some point in the future.

Thanks for the sweet compliments! I think emeralds would look beautiful on you and be a lovely addition to your wonderful collection! One great thing about them imho is that they come in so very many shades that it would not be hard at all for one to find which color best compliments one's tastes and coloring.

Thank you Lisa. The glowy green of my earrings is an instant mood lifter when I'm having a down day. Btw, I'm a Lisa too :P2
Keeliamira, I know what you are describing. I LOVE them!! Yours is stunning! I think it deserves to be set in a JuliaB setting.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
grey spinel ring from LT today

Attachments

• 20170817_104159_HDR-1.jpg
    20170817_104159_HDR-1.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 18

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm joining the party late. :) Ever since I got my ruby bangle, I have been looking at jade ones. I cannot make sense of jadeite. I don't understand the enormous price range. I have fallen in love with a particular shade of nephrite, though, and a green nephrite bangle is on its way to me.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm joining the party late. :) Ever since I got my ruby bangle, I have been looking at jade ones. I cannot make sense of jadeite. I don't understand the enormous price range. I have fallen in love with a particular shade of nephrite, though, and a green nephrite bangle is on its way to me.

Congratulations! Im really happy and excited for you!! Welcome to the world of jade love. Nephrite is beautiful and absolutely magic. For reference, in case you are looking, a great nephrite artist is Allan Spehar of jade divers on Etsy. His jades and his work are very fine.

It's true that jade is one of the most difficult gemstones in the world to understand, but also one of the most enchanting and beautiful. Often, the huge price range has to do with so much treated stuff on the market, with low prices, and even high prices. Some treated jade can be in the thousands . Then add in the confusion of sometimes overinflated prices of untreated jade. A good start is just look look and look more. If you stop by sellers like ultimate jadeite on etsy, or Desire Treasure.com, you get a better sense of what things might cost, though they don't have the most rare jades.

Last edited:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LisaRN @elle_71125 @Bluegemz Thank you! I love the color, it's very soft, for lack of a better word. The weird thing is that it looks so different in photos depending on the lighting. This was the closest to what it really looks like to me.

@Burmesedaze You caught me, it is definitely an unfocused shot. My skills as a photographer are basically nonexistent lol.

@Keeliamira that's a gorgeous color of emerald! It looks like a cross between a cuprian tourmaline and an aquamarine, perfect for the summer. I have to spend some time really perusing this thread!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tourmaline, you've inspired me ! In thinking about nephrite jade, I realize that I haven't yet shown this bangle. It is a nephrite jade from Seattle, Washington, made by Allan of Jade divers. He specializes in unique, 'niche' nephrite jades. This bangle is black, with blue/grey in it. I could not capture it well in these photos, but in life, it looks like a deep blue/black from a few feet away. Up close, it's black with blue. In these pics, it looks black and grey, but in life, it really is more of a blue. Hopefully one can get a sense of it.
IMG_4061.JPG
IMG_4060.JPG

Last edited:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Keeliamira, I know what you are describing. I LOVE them!! Yours is stunning! I think it deserves to be set in a JuliaB setting.
I'm so glad you know! They are awfully fun! I also have a flawless 11ct steely aqua precision cut modified radiant cut tucked away that will make it into a pendant one day.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results