shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
I'm joining the party late. :) Ever since I got my ruby bangle, I have been looking at jade ones. I cannot make sense of jadeite. I don't understand the enormous price range. I have fallen in love with a particular shade of nephrite, though, and a green nephrite bangle is on its way to me.
Ever since you got your ruby bangle I have been absolutely drooling over it... And stalking Reiko thanks to you! Congrats on the jade bangle; can't wait to see it!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad you know! They are awfully fun! I also have a flawless 11ct steely aqua precision cut modified radiant cut tucked away that will make it into a pendant one day.
That will be great, and huge. 11 carats of blue beauty!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm going for a rich dark green. I am reluctant to post the vendor's photos before getting it, because I am pretty sure it will be less saturated than the photos. I'm looking forward to it and will post the one I chose when I have it. :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm
I'm going for a rich dark green. I am reluctant to post the vendor's photos before getting it, because I am pretty sure it will be less saturated than the photos. I'm looking forward to it and will post the one I chose when I have it. :)
I'm sure it will be beautiful. Jade is beautiful . It's really good to keep an open mind when buying it online. You are right, it will probably be a little different from photos, because we see new aspects than we do in pictures. Really looking forward to seeing it.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Having been bitten by the jade bug too (thanks Blugemz, and several others) I picked up this pretty little jade bangle I'm wearing today. Since I feel like I know absolutely nothing about jade, it was one one of several "jade" purchases I made for less than having a pizza delivered. All were bought from owners who no longer wear them rather than from dealers. One pair of earrings had great color but I was able to determine they were dyed (highly uv reactive) and filled (sound). Another was a pendant (below) that is not dyed but seems to be filled based on sound. The bangle, I *think* is undyed and unfilled... No uv reactivity and it makes the loveliest sounds like a cross between a bell and tapping crystal. Did I do ok? IMG_2017-08-18_21-04-11.JPG
Different lighting...
IMG_2017-08-18_21-07-24.JPG
IMG_2017-08-18_21-11-50.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having been bitten by the jade bug too (thanks Blugemz, and several others) I picked up this pretty little jade bangle I'm wearing today. Since I feel like I know absolutely nothing about jade, it was one one of several "jade" purchases I made for less than having a pizza delivered. All were bought from owners who no longer wear them rather than from dealers. One pair of earrings had great color but I was able to determine they were dyed (highly uv reactive) and filled (sound). Another was a pendant (below) that is not dyed but seems to be filled based on sound. The bangle, I *think* is undyed and unfilled... No uv reactivity and it makes the loveliest sounds like a cross between a bell and tapping crystal. Did I do ok? IMG_2017-08-18_21-04-11.JPG
Different lighting...
Keeliamira, first, congratulations!!
I think you did great, especially as your first buying experience with jade! They are lovely!

Pendant: I personally guess that the pendant is untreated based on color and the type of jade that it is. This is in the 'oil green' color range. Much of it is translucent. Usually treatment in pendants is to enhance colors that are deemed most valuable, such as apple or imperial green, lavender, red and yellow. This range of green is not as expensive as others, and therefore, rarely treated. ( I personally really like oil green!) Bangles are a different story altogether ase often treated regardless of color.

Unfortunately, UV light does not pick out all polymer fillers. Also, even polymer filled bangles often have a nice chime. Differentiating chime really takes having heard both treated and untreated, and experience. I know this because my first jade buying experience was a treated bangle, which I paid about 500 for. I did the chime test. Sounded beautiful. Later, with experience, I could hear the difference. Most jade on the market, like 95% is treated. In my experience, Learning about jade took patience. It was a steep learning curve for me at first, but then the pieces of understanding started coming together quickly after that.

Re: the bangle, If it is untreated, it would be very valuable, as in 5 figures. Might be worth having it tested. A good way to Further explore signs of treatment is to look with a magnifying glass, or carefully in the light. Polymer infused bangles have a very fine network of etched lines from the acid bath that they endure during treatment. This is something that one might notice when looking very carefully. They can look like fine spiderwebs, tiny scratches, or a dehydrated look. Polymer fills these when they are new, but as they are worn, the polymer slowly comes off of the surface and these show. Again, these will be a network pretty much all over the bangle and are very tiny. Also, the grain pattern will not be clear. There will be a gelatinous look, translucent and jelly like. So hard to describe!

Untreated jade usually has an absolute mirror polish with a few abrasions sometimes, related to natural flaws. These abrasions are very sparse. In a vintage bangle, polish might be worn in some places, but not all over. Also, natural jade is heavy and cool to the touch, and they tend to stay cool. Polyemer treated bangles are not as heavy or as cool because the polymer is quickly warmed by outside temperatures and body heat.

Hope this helps! Wether it's treated or not, it's a beautiful green and looks fabulous on you!

Last edited:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the pendant is unlikely to be treated too. These Chinese Zodiac animals are fairly popular and the treated ones are rather highly translucent near colorless (B Jade) an light in hand lacking heft that I've seen. This green is pretty affordable and still common to find from the mines.

The bangle is hard to say but the green and white is a lovely match. If testing fees aren't too much, you may want to have a go at it if you absolutely have to know!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ever since you got your ruby bangle I have been absolutely drooling over it... And stalking Reiko thanks to you! Congrats on the jade bangle; can't wait to see it!

I did not get the ruby bracelet from Reiko, but I know they have a lot of lovely stone bangles. I would recommend, if you order from Reiko, that you make sure to order something in a unique listing (where you get the exact one in the pictures). I ordered a rose quartz stretch bracelet and a blue tigereye stretch bracelet from Reiko once, from listings where I got pieces "like" the ones pictured, and they were NOTHING like the ones pictured. The rose quartz stretch bracelet had no clarity or saturation, and the blue tigereye was dark and dull. I wanted to return them and the communication was quite unpleasant. When I informed them that, per ebay rules, they would be covering my return shipping, the guy actually said "God shame you." I left negative feedback, and they lied in response to the feedbacks, saying "Refund given. No return yet." They had the tracking number already and knew that the package was on its way to them. It was a very unpleasant experience.

I got the ruby bangle from Rikoo (business started in 2004). I think Reiko (which started in 2011) imitated Rikoo's name, trying to appeal to the older company's customers. Rikoo also has Skullis (crystal skulls) and BestPietersite. Rikoo and Skullis also have eBay stores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the heads up Tourmaline! I think I stumbled across both of their eBay stores after finding the Rikoo website. I never would have realized the difference in the spelling of their shop names. Thanks!

Burmesedaze, Bluegemz thanks for the insight on my jade finds. I happen to like the oily color jade so I'm glad my tastes led me to the zodiac pendant. I have twins who are both Rats so now they're fighting over it, lol. I did compare the surface of the pendant with the bangle under a 60x loupe and now think the bangle may be treated. It appears to have a network of tiny imperfections on it... Not really spiderwebs but much less smooth than the surface of the pendant. Regardless, the color makes me happy enough to enjoy it for what it is. Thanks again for your insight!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love oil greens too. Actually, one of my favorite bangles is a variety of deep blue/ oil green! Rats are a great sign. Very intelligent and active. My husband is also a rat sign.

there is just no other way to learn about this gem without taking that first initial plunge into purchasing. And we are just guessing at the start. We need to FEEL the treated and the untreated to learn. Each purchase thereafter is safer. It's really a brave step to take! The bangle is beautiful as is the pendant.

The exception with marks is that some bangles with especially coarse grain can have divots in between the crystals, but this is clearly related to the grain. The coarse grain jades have large, individual jadeite crystals that are easily seen with the naked eye rather than microscopic. The silica in between them is not as strong as the jadeite crystals, and can wear down. This is because jadeite is essentially many crystals that were so compressed under pressure, that they grew together in an interlocking manner. This is different from the single crystal gems that we see here.

So, if one has a bangle with tiny grooves all over, but the grain is not large, and it seems unrelated to the crystal structure, that can be a sign.

Last edited:

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Different lighting...
That is such a cool pendant!

amyek

Rough_Rock
IMG_0909.JPG I am channeling my inner princess today. This is my 3.75 ct. unheated blue sapphire with a diamond halo ring. I just love it. It doesn't look dark at all in hand. My photo is terrible.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0909.JPG I am channeling my inner princess today. This is my 3.75 unheated blue sapphire with a diamond halo ring. I just love it.
Love that you're wearing it as an engagement ring. It's a really beautiful sapphire! I also had a diamond ering. Just decided that I wanted a sapphire ering and was able to change on my 4th. I love having a sapphire as an engagement ring! It's actually more traditional than a diamond, going back centuries.
Condolences on your job loss. I am a firm belirver that when one door closes another one opens. Stay strong and keep faith!!

amyek

Rough_Rock
Love that you're wearing it as an engagement ring. It's a really beautiful sapphire! I also had a diamond ering. Just decided that I wanted a sapphire ering and was able to change on my 4th. I love having a sapphire as an engagement ring! It's actually more traditional than a diamond, going back centuries.
Condolences on your job loss. I am a firm belirver that when one door closes another one opens. Stay strong and keep faith!!

Thank you! I am much more of a colored stone lover than a diamond lover. I think this sapphire is more rare than the diamond I had. Plus..... the finger coverage. :) And, I still have the diamond halo for brilliance.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I am much more of a colored stone lover than a diamond lover. I think this sapphire is more rare than the diamond I had. Plus..... the finger coverage. :) And, I still have the diamond halo for brilliance.
It's really just stunning!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
QUOTE="amyek, post: 4204771, member: 79327"] IMG_0909.JPG I am channeling my inner princess today. This is my 3.75 ct. unheated blue sapphire with a diamond halo ring. I just love it. It doesn't look dark at all in hand. My photo is terrible.[/QUOTE]
:love:

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
IMG_0909.JPG I am channeling my inner princess today. This is my 3.75 ct. unheated blue sapphire with a diamond halo ring. I just love it. It doesn't look dark at all in hand. My photo is terrible.
I swoooooon! :love::love::love:

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Very HRH indeed :) Lovely classic stone in a classic halo.

amyek

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! What does "HRH" stand for?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing this deep blue, slight oil green bangle...I attached 2 earlier picture of it to show the range of tone ( light to dark) it has, depending on the light. This is a very translucent bangle, but the nature of the oil green color, ( which is very heavy in pigment), creates a smoky effect, so rather than looking icy, it glows and the darkness of the green varies a lot depending on light. Oil greens vary a lot in price and in look. It all depends on the combination of the degree of pigment, hue, grain and all the other factors. I think sometimes it is misunderstood.

In one of the two reference pictures, the earrings are jadeite from Guatemala. These are the only South American jadeite which I have. This color is considered a variation of 'Olmec blue'. Strangely, they almost are a match with the bangle from Burma, but the texture is different. They have a grainier texture with grains mixed in with mixro crystalin texture.
IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_4334.jpg

Last edited:

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Today I'm wearing this deep blue, slight oil green bangle...I attached 2 earlier picture of it to show the range of tone ( light to dark) it has, depending on the light. This is a very translucent bangle, but the nature of the oil green color, ( which is very heavy in pigment), creates a smoky effect, so rather than looking icy, it glows and the darkness of the green varies a lot depending on light. Oil greens vary a lot in price and in look. It all depends on the combination of the degree of pigment, hue, grain and all the other factors. I think sometimes it is misunderstood.

In one of the two reference pictures, the earrings are jadeite from Guatemala. These are the only South American jadeite which I have. This color is considered a variation of 'Olmec blue'. Strangely, they almost are a match with the bangle from Burma, but the texture is different. They have a grainier texture with grains mixed in with mixro crystalin texture.
IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_2846.JPG
IMG_4334.jpg

Do you have any Taiwanese Nephrite or New Zealand Nephrite? I have never see these nephrites. I have never seen New Zealand Nephrite for sale.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any Taiwanese Nephrite or New Zealand Nephrite? I have never see these nephrites. I have never seen New Zealand Nephrite for sale.

I don't have either of those. I have only one green nephrite jade bangle, which is from British Columbia. I heard that nephrite from New Zealand is very sacred. It is decided by the ruler or queen, ( I believe) which pieces stay and what can be sold. Therefore, supply is very limited. My colleague was lucky to be able to get a pendant when she visited.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results