shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you wearing today?! Show me your CS!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I had a great-grandfather on my paternal grandma's line. He'd deserve a thread somewhere. He was tall, very blond and blue-eyed, handsome and very hard-working. But mostly, he had the gift of kindness to animals. Today he'd be the most successful vet. Always working, either raising something or taking care of animals. He was a peasant orphan, an autodidact who taught himself to read and got rich three times (and each time his fortune was taken away by the Soviet power). This gift of kindness...he could enter any home, and not a single guard dog would ever attack him. He even died in a decent way, at 94, totally with it and having said good-bye to all household members.
And from such a person, the only thing I inherited are large, square, peasant hands!

So my jeweler openly says that small rings will be "lost" on my hands and i need larger ones. Hence everything is large. :)
What a wonderful story! It is endearing because of the strength of his spirit. One never forgets a person like that. I have known only one person who had this kind of spirit strength, that wherever he went and through hard times and good, he created such beauty around him and brought people together in the most talented of ways. It was completely natural to him.

I agree with you, big rings will show most on your hands and mine as well. Mine are large as in long and wide. I'm not wearing many dainty rings that I used to wear anymore. One jeweler also told me that the older we get, the bigger the jewelry should be. I completely agree with this. I look much better in a strand of large pearls over a dainty pendant at my age. One beautiful ring like yours is all you need for a chic look without being overdone. It really is something very special and so well designed. Just amazing! Thank you for sharing that wonderful story about your grandfather.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing will ever compare with a good ruby. They remind me of rose petals, they have velvety look. When I see stones like yours, I mentally caress them.
Thank you! Mine has been so difficult to photograph, that I felt like giving up. As difficult as emeralds in my experience. Finally, this picture is quite accurate with flash. The ring is not large, but red is such fun to wear. I would like to have the stones set on a wide gold band because I feel that more mass would look better on my hands.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
GAH, now that is truly gorgeous!!!
Catmom, thank you. I actually got an inspiration from your brooch. I have several trilliant cut stones, a paraiba, a spinel, a tsavorite, an indicolite...Anyhow, I never knew what to make of them, and looking at your flower, I think, surely! I even have a vintage pin with two flowers made of quartz with jade leafs, I tossed it into a washer...let us say, we know that jade is tough...;-) Center sapphires are OK to wash, too.
So I think I have enough trilliants for two flowers. It will look very different, but maybe I shall get rid of all my trilliants.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful story! It is endearing because of the strength of his spirit. One never forgets a person like that. I have known only one person who had this kind of spirit strength, that wherever he went and through hard times and good, he created such beauty around him and brought people together in the most talented of ways. It was completely natural to him.

I agree with you, big rings will show most on your hands and mine as well. Mine are large as in long and wide. I'm not wearing many dainty rings that I used to wear anymore. One jeweler also told me that the older we get, the bigger the jewelry should be. I completely agree with this. I look much better in a strand of large pearls over a dainty pendant at my age. One beautiful ring like yours is all you need for a chic look without being overdone. It really is something very special and so well designed. Just amazing! Thank you for sharing that wonderful story about your grandfather.

Knowing just one person with the gift on kindness and interest to people or animals is enriching.
You, though, have beautiful hands, for the painters to fall in love with...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It probably deserves own thread - I never thought i'd recut a Tanzanian spinel - but it is recut, and reset, prolly 6.5 from 6.7 ct, window closed, glows in the sun

IMG_20170715_224252_390.jpg

IMG_20170715_224424_367.jpg
Officially and utterly blown away. That is one of the best Mahenges I've ever seen! I remember when you went through a buying spree of Mahenges from Tan - is that one of them? Stunning...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Officially and utterly blown away. That is one of the best Mahenges I've ever seen! I remember when you went through a buying spree of Mahenges from Tan - is that one of them? Stunning...
Nope, not from Tan. The ones from Tan I bought, and sold some, too, anyhow, I was never quite happy with his. This being said, I miss him as a vendor.
It is strange but this one had many initial drawbacks so I always planned to recut it, but recutting spinels is a costly process. But my jeweler saw what the problem was, and supported me, and it looks so different now.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well good for you for taking the risk - quite well worth it, I'll say. Any before recut shots?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well good for you for taking the risk - quite well worth it, I'll say. Any before recut shots?
I should look for them, Minous. (I am officially camera-less, lol. I had Galaxy Note 4, and when the time came to upgrade, Samsung came up with Note 7 and its super-cool spontaneously combusting batteries... Anyhow, Note 4 is caput, and I am waiting for Note 8. Everything else is in "God willing" status).

freezing_in_MO

Shiny_Rock
That is a lovely story! You must smile every time you look at your hands, with or without your gorgeous rings.

You know, I had a great-grandfather on my paternal grandma's line. He'd deserve a thread somewhere. He was tall, very blond and blue-eyed, handsome and very hard-working. But mostly, he had the gift of kindness to animals. Today he'd be the most successful vet. Always working, either raising something or taking care of animals. He was a peasant orphan, an autodidact who taught himself to read and got rich three times (and each time his fortune was taken away by the Soviet power). This gift of kindness...he could enter any home, and not a single guard dog would ever attack him. He even died in a decent way, at 94, totally with it and having said good-bye to all household members.
And from such a person, the only thing I inherited are large, square, peasant hands!

So my jeweler openly says that small rings will be "lost" on my hands and i need larger ones. Hence everything is large. :)

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a lovely story! You must smile every time you look at your hands, with or without your gorgeous rings.
thank you! Well, I surely could save on gold and stones if I had dainty fingers like so many of our PSers do, lol. But when I look at mine, I just say, "it will get only worse, so enjoy it as It is!"

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went on another gem hunt. This time at the northern Thai-Burmese border, Mae Sai. Still wearing my spinel and ruby rings at the Northernmost part of Thailand. Walk past the bridge and that is Myanmar. Beyond the blue sign is Myanmar.

image.jpeg
It is an interesting photo - it makes one instantly aware of the vastness of Asian cultures. I don't know how to express it in a better way, but it stirs something in my soul.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It probably deserves own thread - I never thought i'd recut a Tanzanian spinel - but it is recut, and reset, prolly 6.5 from 6.7 ct, window closed, glows in the sun

Is this an old mine mahenge stone? The saturation and the transparency is amazing.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Monday I wore this emerald ring. The glow is so hard to capture in real life.
20170717_123859.jpg

Today I'm wearing my blue zircon ring on left hand. Right hand is my sapphire and paraiba 3 stone ring (not pictured because I've posted it on this thread before, I think). :)
20170719_092253.jpg 20170719_093404.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Monday I wore this emerald ring. The glow is so hard to capture in real life.
20170717_123859.jpg

Today I'm wearing my blue zircon ring on left hand. Right hand is my sapphire and paraiba 3 stone ring (not pictured because I've posted it on this thread before, I think). :)
All beautiful, Mochito! Love your emerald ring, and the zircon is so clear in it's beauty. I personally think it's lovely to show what your wearing, even if you've shown it before because it's lovely to see it again, and how you wear it, which combinations, etc. :) I find that I notice new things about pieces each time I see them and love the beautiful pictures.

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
20170717_123859.jpg

You're rings are so gorgeous!. That zircon one really gives me the feels. I hope to own one like it some day. :kiss:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom, thank you. I actually got an inspiration from your brooch. I have several trilliant cut stones, a paraiba, a spinel, a tsavorite, an indicolite...Anyhow, I never knew what to make of them, and looking at your flower, I think, surely! I even have a vintage pin with two flowers made of quartz with jade leafs, I tossed it into a washer...let us say, we know that jade is tough...;-) Center sapphires are OK to wash, too.
So I think I have enough trilliants for two flowers. It will look very different, but maybe I shall get rid of all my trilliants.

:razz: Always happy to "bring back the brooch!" That sounds awesome. I hope you do it and can't wait to see it completed.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this an old mine mahenge stone? The saturation and the transparency is amazing.

I think it is, but I am very careful these days. I prefer to call all "Mahenges" "Tanzanian". This one clearly does its job, let us put it so...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My turn. I dropped my computer. Your jewels are truly Royal: so are your hands.

Big stones suffice my rather large fingers/hands. At least that is my story (and I'm sticking to it).

cheers--Sharon

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My turn. I dropped my computer. Your jewels are truly Royal: so are your hands.

Big stones suffice my rather large fingers/hands. At least that is my story (and I'm sticking to it).

cheers--Sharon
:clap::clap::clap:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is, but I am very careful these days. I prefer to call all "Mahenges" "Tanzanian". This one clearly does its job, let us put it so...

I see someone changed their avatar...:twisted:
So color is so perfect and the setting really plays it up. Can I help it that my eyes were drawn right over there. :lol::D

samranmal

Rough_Rock
I inherited this lovely squash blossom necklace from my Grandma. She loved Native American jewelry and passed on quite a few Navajo and Zuni pieces to me. It's a nice way to remember her each time I wear one.... IMG_20170721_061954968~2.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I inherited this lovely squash blossom necklace from my Grandma. She loved Native American jewelry and passed on quite a few Navajo and Zuni pieces to me. It's a nice way to remember her each time I wear one.... IMG_20170721_061954968~2.jpg
I love it! Zuni turquoise needlepoint and petite point jewelry is so beautiful and fine! You're lucky that your grandmother passed these things in to you. How fun!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_1495.JPG
Felt like mixing metals and tourmalines today. I need to clean my rings before I take any more pics. :(
Boy, this is a gorgeous piece! Is it a cuprian?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results