shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mercedes Benz Superdome for the Saints vs Falcons game. It’s probably on TV.

And #diamondgoals saints ower Gayle Benson has on an amazing diamond necklace tonight —someone try to look it up. Totally worth it.

I’m going to lose my signal soon.
I tried to find her necklace but wasn’t successful. Did you find it?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please let me know how the Amish turkey was. We have a lot of Amish places near here where I can get one next year. I bought a fresh turkey from Whole Foods last year and we weren’t happy with it..Did I mention I’m not cooking this year!?! :appl:

I like that you basically bought the turkey for another family. That’s probably why it was so expensive. We are so lucky and feel we should be helping people that don’t have as much if we can.
Well, I have to say I was sorely disappointed in the bird. Dry, and not much flavor. :nono: Though in its defense, I don't find that turkey's taste like they did many years ago overall anyway. I think not basting affected the skin, it had nowhere near the flavor it normally does, even my youngest immediately remarked on it. Thank heavens for gravy... It did brown up beautifully though! It was done the minute it was supposed to be, and it had a pop up timer, so I didn't overcook it (supposedly). Oh, and I forgot the slaw til the end of dinner. :rolleyes:

It is the general consensus that turkey and turkey day are overrated, as far as the meal goes. Not one of my guys cares if I make it again. So guess what, I'm not making it again!
yippee10.gif
I will come up with something else to stand in for the retired bird. ::)

I hope you and everybody else had a great day and meal!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I have to say I was sorely disappointed in the bird. Dry, and not much flavor. :nono: Though in its defense, I don't find that turkey's taste like they did many years ago overall anyway. I think not basting affected the skin, it had nowhere near the flavor it normally does, even my youngest immediately remarked on it. Thank heavens for gravy... It did brown up beautifully though! It was done the minute it was supposed to be, and it had a pop up timer, so I didn't overcook it (supposedly). Oh, and I forgot the slaw til the end of dinner. :rolleyes:

It is the general consensus that turkey and turkey day are overrated, as far as the meal goes. Not one of my guys cares if I make it again. So guess what, I'm not making it again!
yippee10.gif
I will come up with something else to stand in for the retired bird. ::)

Thanks for letting me know! I hope you and everybody else had a great day and meal!
I’m happy you can stop making turkey! I don’t even like turkey but I do eat it once a year. Next year I’m going to have a little chicken for me! Those fat infused Butterball turkeys from years ago beat the fresh natural birds. I’m going to buy a frozen fat infused Butterball for next year! I made one in a cooking bag one year. It was the moistest bird...The skin got brown and the legs were falling off the turkey.I know it’s partially steamed but it was very good! The skin did brown..You just can’t do it for company because it doesn’t look as pretty..

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m happy you can stop making turkey! I don’t even like turkey but I do eat it once a year. Next year I’m going to have a little chicken for me! Those fat infused Butterball turkeys from years ago beat the fresh natural birds. I’m going to buy a frozen fat infused Butterball for next year! I made one in a cooking bag one year. It was the moistest bird...The skin got brown and the legs were falling off the turkey.I know it’s partially steamed but it was very good! The skin did brown..You just can’t do it for company because it doesn’t look as pretty..
:lol: We actually did muse about whether that was why it didn't taste that great. :wink2: I like turkey when it really tastes like turkey and it's moist. And yes, the bags do produce a much better version. You might try what some people I know do. They cook it the day before, cut it up, layer in broth and just reheat the next day. Granted, there's no full bird presentation, but, you can just put it on a turkey shaped platter. Voila! :bigsmile:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
85FF1137-7873-4C5E-BD96-FFC9F72897F8.jpeg
I’m making my meatballs for tomorrow’s In-laws after Thanksgiving No Turkey stress free dinner at my son and daughter in law’s house..She’s naming the new holiday..Welcometaking..I don’t know how she arrived at the name but love that she wants us tomorrow!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
85FF1137-7873-4C5E-BD96-FFC9F72897F8.jpeg
I’m making my meatballs for tomorrow’s In-laws after Thanksgiving No Turkey stress free dinner at my son and daughter in law’s house..She’s naming the new holiday..Welcometaking..I don’t know how she arrived at the name but love that she wants us tomorrow!
Who doesn't love meatballs? :love: Do you serve as is, or does some sauce/condiment accompany them?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
And btw, I was in a rush as everything was ready when I posted to your pic of the restaurant yesterday, but I want to say what an absolutely beautiful setting and view you had for your meal. Perfect!
daydreaming.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who doesn't love meatballs? :love: Do you serve as is, or does some sauce/condiment accompany them?
I sometimes throw them in the tomato sauce after browning..if I make spaghetti..but for tomorrow I’m making them in a baking dish with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese on top. They just asked for stuffed shells so it will be served with the meatballs..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
And btw, I was in a rush as everything was ready when I posted to your pic of the restaurant yesterday, but I want to say what an absolutely beautiful setting and view you had for your meal. Perfect!
daydreaming.gif
Thank you! It was the break I needed!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My Grandparents have this roasting pan we use. It is this massively heavy aluminum. The turkey stays moist and looks beautiful when done. Not crispy, but brown and tastes amazing. It can even manage Grandma insisting on 425 for cooking at the same time Grandpa insists no less than 6 hours in the oven...

(Picture from one someone is selling) il_570xN.1383149042_owz7.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Grandparents have this roasting pan we use. It is this massively heavy aluminum. The turkey stays moist and looks beautiful when done. Not crispy, but brown and tastes amazing. It can even manage Grandma insisting on 425 for cooking at the same time Grandpa insists no less than 6 hours in the oven...

(Picture from one someone is selling) il_570xN.1383149042_owz7.jpg
The whole time?
yikes2.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
The whole time?
yikes2.gif
That is heavy looking! I have an aluminum one from my grandma but it’s lightweight..It nay even be stainless steel. I also have a black and white speckled one..Do you keep the lid on and then take it off?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The whole time?
yikes2.gif

Yes! Some years we can sneak it down while they aren't looking but last year was 425 the entire time. I don't even care anymore because you just can't hurt the 20 pound turkey in this pot. Comes out amazing every time!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is heavy looking! I have an aluminum one from my grandma but it’s lightweight..It nay even be stainless steel. I also have a black and white speckled one..Do you keep the lid on and then take it off?

Very heavy even when empty. Big enough to hold a 20 pound turkey and I even fit a 24 pound one year!

The lid stays on the whole time usually. This year, I managed to get the turkey into a disposable roaster so I could make the gravy. It went back it uncovered for about 20 minutes until serving. (I wish I had thought to get a picture! Will try to remember to dig up last year's...) This year's turkey just fell off the bones when I moved it. Still moist and flavorful but less pretty presentation.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! Some years we can sneak it down while they aren't looking but last year was 425 the entire time. I don't even care anymore because you just can't hurt the 20 pound turkey in this pot. Comes out amazing every time!
Wow, that is amazing!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have le creuset pots but nothing big enough for a turkey. I’ll have to see if I can find a pot like your grandparents..can you imagine the shipping cost because of the weight of it!?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have le creuset pots but nothing big enough for a turkey. I’ll have to see if I can find a pot like your grandparents..can you imagine the shipping cost because of the weight of it!?

Hopefully any place that sells heavy pots gives free ground shipping on orders! I need to figure out where I could store one in my kitchen and try to find one for myself. I have a small one but want the large too.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hopefully any place that sells heavy pots gives free ground shipping on orders! I need to figure out where I could store one in my kitchen and try to find one for myself. I have a small one but want the large too.
I looked on eBay and saw the one you posted..There is a new one but it was something like $160..Storing it would be a bear because it has to be huge to fit a turkey inside!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked on eBay and saw the one you posted..There is a new one but it was something like $160..Storing it would be a bear because it has to be huge to fit a turkey inside!

Yes! My grandparents have a large pantry plus a big pot/pan storage area separate from their kitchen. It is also so big I don't think it would fit in my dishwasher (or maybe by itself). Storage nightmare but makes great turkey and they also use it for party mix!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I store my (now to never be used again!) turkey roaster in the basement. My kitchen is short on storage, so my family of crock pots, the Nesco, turkey roaster and odds and ends go downstairs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results