shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We decided to let my mom host Thanksgiving this year and hoping it is a win for everyone. Greg gets time off from being the chef after more than 15 years of hosting the holiday and doing all the cooking and baking which always takes him 2 full days (though he will still be making a few dishes yummm apple pie, pumpkin pie and stuffing:lickout:) and my mom loves hosting so everyone gets what they want. Ironically I am not sure if she is inviting her friend S or not but since it is on her turf it is up to her. Pressure is off us and that's a bonus.

Plus not cleaning up beforehand or after well I am pretty pleased too. As much as I love hosting I always seem to forget how exhausting it is and how happy I am when the day is over and everyone has gone home. And how achey I am for a day or two after the holiday from being on my feet much of the time and running around. LOL. Don't get me wrong I love Thanksgiving but it's a lot of work and this year it is a welcome change. We are just going to be guests and not running around like chickens (or as the case may be turkeys) without heads. OK that joke is in bad taste and as one who will not eat turkey or chickens I apologize. :oops2: But couldn't resist that joke.::)

What a wonderful new tradition to start. Sounds like all the fun without the stress Thanksgiving can often bring and what a great way to enjoy leftovers. Enjoy!

I’m really happy your mom is hosting..The problem with her friend is settled and you get a break this year!
I LOVED your chicken and turkey joke! Haha!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean forgot to add one very important pro to having Thanksgiving at my parents house this year. Our kitties will thank us! They get super stressed when anyone comes over to visit as they are typical cats. They only tolerate us haha. So when we have visitors they hide for the entire time and it takes them quite a while to get back to themselves after our guests have left. My family is pretty noisy and boisterous too so that doesn't help. So this is another huge plus for us because our kitties will not be stressed now at all. I am very pleased about this as well. Especially since our dear Francesca is having breathing issues we do not need to add to them. Sometimes doing the right thing helps everyone and I am hoping this is one perfect example of that. Giving up Thanksgiving this year is something I think we can all be thankful for including our darling kitties. Meow.
1237347t680xm00ub.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean forgot to add one very important pro to having Thanksgiving at my parents house this year. Our kitties will thank us! They get super stressed when anyone comes over to visit as they are typical cats. They only tolerate us haha. So when we have visitors they hide for the entire time and it takes them quite a while to get back to themselves after our guests have left. My family is pretty noisy and boisterous too so that doesn't help. So this is another huge plus for us because our kitties will not be stressed now at all. I am very pleased about this as well. Especially since our dear Francesca is having breathing issues we do not need to add to them. Sometimes doing the right thing helps everyone and I am hoping this is one perfect example of that. Giving up Thanksgiving this year is something I think we can all be thankful for including our darling kitties. Meow.
1237347t680xm00ub.gif
Awwwww..Our furry babies are our family too..Your kitties will be thankful they have peace and quiet! What’s wrong with Francesca?
My goofball guy does get stressed too. I take him to a place to board that is like a four star hotel for humans. He gets a very large room with one on one walks..play group outside twice a day and a busy bone with peanut butter. He doesn’t even look back at me when I drop him off! It kind of made me sad but then I didn’t feel guilty about boarding him. He is always super excited when I pick him up to go home though. This Saturday he’ll just stay at my Maryland house and watch the kitties play that like my back yard..:love:l

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwww..Our furry babies are our family too..Your kitties will be thankful they have peace and quiet! What’s wrong with Francesca?
My goofball guy does get stressed too. I take him to a place to board that is like a four star hotel for humans. He gets a very large room with one on one walks..play group outside twice a day and a busy bone with peanut butter. He doesn’t even look back at me when I drop him off! It kind of made me sad but then I didn’t feel guilty about boarding him. He is always super excited when I pick him up to go home though. This Saturday he’ll just stay at my Maryland house and watch the kitties play that like my back yard..:love:l

Haha love that 4 star hotel for your sweet furbaby. Awww:kiss2: And yes that makes for a guilt free day for you. Wish we could just find a cat sitter so we could go away without them. We have not traveled without our kitties for well over a decade. Since our darling Billy got very sick and even now that he has been gone since 2009 and we have a whole new crew of kitties we take them with us. They are very high maintenance and must be closely watched when feeding or two of them would eat all the food and the other 2 would starve. They also (usually) won't come out if someone is over.

They are all rescues and had difficult beginnings so have issues as some rescues do. We always take the most challenging cases because no one else would adopt them. So we do. And we are good with that. But it would be nice to find a cat sitter they would tolerate who I could trust to make sure they eat. Someone they would venture out for and allow attention and love. If I could find that we would at least be able to resume our road trips again. But for now it's OK and we take them back and forth to our beach house when we go.

To answer your question our sweet Francesca has been diagnosed with moderate to severe inflammation in her lungs due to asthma. It sucks because the steroid pills are not alleviating her symptoms so my sister (veterinarian) gave her a strong steroid shot (after we had Francesca undergo an echocardiogram showing her heart is OK but she does have a heart murmur so we have to be careful with what we give her) which helped but for less than 3 weeks. And that steroid shot is too strong to give more than a few times a year (other effects if one administers the injection more frequently) so since it didn't last long enough we now have to try nebulizing her. Ever try nebulizing a skittish cat who barely tolerates anything? LOL not looking forward to that. Anyway I digress but wanted to answer your question. Thanks for caring.:kiss2:

Back to the holiday feast. :appl:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha love that 4 star hotel for your sweet furbaby. Awww:kiss2: And yes that makes for a guilt free day for you. Wish we could just find a cat sitter so we could go away without them. We have not traveled without our kitties for well over a decade. Since our darling Billy got very sick and even now that he has been gone since 2009 and we have a whole new crew of kitties we take them with us. They are very high maintenance and must be closely watched when feeding or two of them would eat all the food and the other 2 would starve. They also (usually) won't come out if someone is over.

They are all rescues and had difficult beginnings so have issues as some rescues do. We always take the most challenging cases because no one else would adopt them. So we do. And we are good with that. But it would be nice to find a cat sitter they would tolerate who I could trust to make sure they eat. Someone they would venture out for and allow attention and love. If I could find that we would at least be able to resume our road trips again. But for now it's OK and we take them back and forth to our beach house when we go.

To answer your question our sweet Francesca has been diagnosed with moderate to severe inflammation in her lungs due to asthma. It sucks because the steroid pills are not alleviating her symptoms so my sister (veterinarian) gave her a strong steroid shot (after we had Francesca undergo an echocardiogram showing her heart is OK but she does have a heart murmur so we have to be careful with what we give her) which helped but for less than 3 weeks. And that steroid shot is too strong to give more than a few times a year (other effects if one administers the injection more frequently) so since it didn't last long enough we now have to try nebulizing her. Ever try nebulizing a skittish cat who barely tolerates anything? LOL not looking forward to that. Anyway I digress but wanted to answer your question. Thanks for caring.:kiss2:

Back to the holiday feast. :appl:
Poor kitty..No..I can’t even imagine trying to nebulize her..My mom had kitties after I left and got married..We only had a dog before I left. Muffin was a wild one and wouldn’t go near my oldest when we would go over for a visit. She would take one look at him and we wouldn’t see her until we were walking out the door. She would stand at the top of the stairs as if to say...”Don’t let the door hit you when you go out!” Haha

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like we are going out!

I realized yesterday we didn't order our pies so then I thought well if there is no pie then what's the point of cooking?!

You know because that makes perfectly logical sense lol!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I realized yesterday we didn't order our pies so then I thought well if there is no pie then what's the point of cooking?!

Yes!!! I agree!!!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Makes perfect sense!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so upset that my cousins hurt Grandma. She spent a week trying to get hold of them only to be told by the one cousin that he (plus his wife and two babies) won't be coming. Oh, and his sister has no phone now so we'll have to FB messenger (oops, she blocked us all) but she probably won't be coming either. So now my super sweet loves to fill the house grandma is sad that half of the family won't be coming. She is calling family friends and people to invite others so her isn't empty feeling on Thanksgiving.... Leaving the rest of us trying to be extra cheery and make it so happy and fun that she doesn't notice that there are only 8 and not 22.

ETA: That makes it likely 8, probably 10. Possibly 5-10 more depending on what calls she makes.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient, that is so sad, I feel so sorry for Grandma. It really is too bad that relatives sometimes act so poorly around the holidays.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so upset that my cousins hurt Grandma. She spent a week trying to get hold of them only to be told by the one cousin that he (plus his wife and two babies) won't be coming. Oh, and his sister has no phone now so we'll have to FB messenger (oops, she blocked us all) but she probably won't be coming either. So now my super sweet loves to fill the house grandma is sad that half of the family won't be coming. She is calling family friends and people to invite others so her isn't empty feeling on Thanksgiving.... Leaving the rest of us trying to be extra cheery and make it so happy and fun that she doesn't notice that there are only 8 and not 22.

ETA: That makes it likely 8, probably 10. Possibly 5-10 more depending on what calls she makes.
That’s so sad! I don’t understand people..I hope she fills up the house and has a great time!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
House will be full this year like usual. Big family, lots of food!

facetgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Making 5 pies (for family and friends) and then its all about the wine, turkey and fixings. Not hosting, but I'm a helper with the clean up. This is my favorite holiday and I'm really looking forward to eating, drinking and relaxing (and yes, washing dishes - where sometimes the best convos happen).
Enjoy your day everyone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the cooking is well underway. As predicted it is smelling awesome in here.:lickout:

Gluten free stuffing...first gluten free stuffing for us and it tastes yummmmmm.
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.15.12 PM.png

How it looked before it went into the oven
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.16.36 PM.png

Something for my dh involving chicken and gravy. He's pleased so I'm pleased.

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.15.40 PM.png

The gluten free pie crust is beginning to take shape. No clue how it will taste. So exciting the anticipation.:cheeky:
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.15.51 PM.png

Sweet potatoes just the way I love em. Thank you DH. :lickout:

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.16.09 PM.png

Grilled onions, mushrooms and celery.
Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.16.29 PM.png

and a couple quick action candid shots. My dh is a good sport considering we were up at 4AM this morning for an early doctor's appointment. Please excuse the mess.

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.17.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 2.17.51 PM.png

He is now making the pumpkin pie...
1263732qjo53yeqzf.gif

How is everyone else's prep going so far?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! Everything looks yummy! Is your hubby a chef?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Everything looks yummy! Is your hubby a chef?

Thanks @Mamabean, my dh enjoys cooking and baking and he is darn good at it.
In fact I come from a family who loves to cook (mom, sister and grandma when she was alive my g-d rest her soul and my dad does a mean BBQ) and I am the only one who doesn't cook. My dh likes being creative and cooking and baking is just another outlet for his creativity.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m going shopping for Saturday at my son and daughter-in-law’s house for Welcometaking..her name for an after Thanksgiving..no turkey in law dinner. I’m so thankful she wants us to do this with them. .I’ll take photos during that prep at their house because I’m not cooking this year..:mrgreen2: I am making meatballs in sauce and stuffed artichokes for that dinner..I don’t know what she is making..Were going to have a buffet of foods we like that don’t necessarily go together.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Mamabean, my dh enjoys cooking and baking and he is darn good at it.
In fact I come from a family who loves to cook (mom, sister and grandma when she was alive my g-d rest her soul and my dad does a mean BBQ) and I am the only one who doesn't cook. My dh likes being creative and cooking and baking is just another outlet for his creativity.
I’m sooooooo impressed! Enjoy!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean the pumpkin pie is done but Greg is not pleased with it...for me he had to leave out dairy and gluten etc and well the pumpkin looks weird without the milk and who knows what that crust will taste like lol. We have not tasted it yet (and won't till tomorrow as we are bringing it to my parents house tomorrow) but it isn't looking good.

He is being philosophical about it saying it is a process getting it right and this was only the first try and I shouldn't ban him yet from baking gluten and dairy free stuff for me but I feel badly as he did it for me and I know he is a perfectionist and there is no second try for a pumpkin pie before tomorrow. Oh well.

Francesca seems to be interested in it though :lol:

pumpkinpieglutenanddairyfree.jpg.png

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean the pumpkin pie is done but Greg is not pleased with it...for me he had to leave out dairy and gluten etc and well the pumpkin looks weird without the milk and who knows what that crust will taste like lol. We have not tasted it yet (and won't till tomorrow as we are bringing it to my parents house tomorrow) but it isn't looking good.

He is being philosophical about it saying it is a process getting it right and this was only the first try and I shouldn't ban him yet from baking gluten and dairy free stuff for me but I feel badly as he did it for me and I know he is a perfectionist and there is no second try for a pumpkin pie before tomorrow. Oh well.

pumpkinpieglutenanddairyfree.jpg.png [/
It may surprise you! I use cashew milk in place of milk for me and the consistency is weird but tastes great! Fingers crossed! Love your kitty!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Thanksgiving will be small this year, and I'll be doing the cooking. Just my nuclear family(4) with one of my sister-in-laws (1). I don't even know how to cook for a "party of 5". Usually we have my brother's family (4) plus my other SIL (3) but they are going to their in-laws and cooking for aging/ailing relatives.

So, asked my husband to get a "modest" sized Turkey this morning, and I'm doing the rest of the grocery shopping this afternoon!! Yes, I'm one of those procrastinators who has not gone to the grocery store yet. Hope there is still stuff for me to buy :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy can you please come make my kitchen as "messy" as yours? I have boxes of veggies everywhere!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

pumpkinpieglutenanddairyfree.jpg.png
I was in the grocery store when I replied to your pumpkin pie..Sorry it got buried in your post. It may taste great but with a different texture. Are you going to bring it tomorrow? Take a swipe near the crust and taste it..and push the filling close to the edge again..No one will ever know..Our secret! ;)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanksgiving will be small this year, and I'll be doing the cooking. Just my nuclear family(4) with one of my sister-in-laws (1). I don't even know how to cook for a "party of 5". Usually we have my brother's family (4) plus my other SIL (3) but they are going to their in-laws and cooking for aging/ailing relatives.

So, asked my husband to get a "modest" sized Turkey this morning, and I'm doing the rest of the grocery shopping this afternoon!! Yes, I'm one of those procrastinators who has not gone to the grocery store yet. Hope there is still stuff for me to buy :)
I hope he buys fresh! My husband would come home with a 22lb frozen bird and be proud of himself!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the hostess with the mostest this year! I'll be up at 5am to throw the bird in the oven :sleep:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Missy, what all went in the stuffing? I'm curious.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm the hostess with the mostest this year! I'll be up at 5am to throw the bird in the oven :sleep:
I always would think when I was dragging myself out of bed...of all the people up fixing the bird half asleep like I was...I did it all by rote..I would wake up hours later! :lol-2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cranberries done. Beets roasting. Challah for dressing toasting in the oven.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, what all went in the stuffing? I'm curious.

Here ya go @Ellen. I had some last night with dinner and it is super yummy.

AIP thanksgiving stuffing:

Onions, peppers, celery, avocado oil, seasoning- thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, pepper, nutmeg and
easy Paleo Drop Biscuits.

Here's the ingredients and recipe for the easy Paleo Drop Biscuits if you're interested Ellen. HTH.

easypaleodropbiscuits.jpg

HRH approves too.:lickout:

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 7.06.57 AM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results