shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not cooking this year and I’m pretty excited. I’ve made a turkey every year since we got married...I make enough to feed a city..and I don’t even like turkey..I love to cook but the cleanup is a nightmare..I go to bed exhausted..My son and daughter in law always have Thanksgiving with her family..and I get Christmas Eve and Christmas because my daughter in law (and grandson now) are Jewish. My daughter in law loves to celebrate with us at Christmas..I was very worried about doing the right thing for her in the beginning respecting her faith..but she told me many times she really loves to come to our house for Christmas..She wants presents from Santa and loves to cook with me..We have the best time..So..Thanksgiving it’s always me cooking this huge turkey for four people because my husband and I only eat the white meat. I got this picture in my head that I’ll be making this turkey until my nineties! I want a holiday off! I told my husband I was on strike and I want someone else to cook for me on Thanksgiving..so we’re going to a restaurant! :appl:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you! We've gone out on turkey day before to the diner of all places, sure beats cooking.

I am cooking this year but not turkey, we will probably have crock post roast beef or ham and it will just be the four of us (me, DH, 4 year old, 11 year old). All the sides and then a banana cream and chocolate cream pie from this place called Grandma's Pies, my parents got their pies from there almost 40 years ago!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good for you! We've gone out on turkey day before to the diner of all places, sure beats cooking.

I am cooking this year but not turkey, we will probably have crock post roast beef or ham and it will just be the four of us (me, DH, 4 year old, 11 year old). All the sides and then a banana cream and chocolate cream pie from this place called Grandma's Pies, my parents got their pies from there almost 40 years ago!
Your menu sounds yummy! I love a crock pot roast..and I love Honey Spiral Baked Hams..I loved to cook for my children when they were little...I’ll be looking forward to cooking for my grandson when he gets a little older..

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm cooking this year. Just not sure if we are going to make a turkey or a chicken this year. I was pregnant and very sick our first holidays together so this year I am cooking. Definitely going to do non instant potatoes (I'm one of those people that love instant ones lmao)and probably green beans with a pumpkin pie or a small cake :D It's just us and the baby so I don't need to do a lot of food.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm cooking this year. Just not sure if we are going to make a turkey or a chicken this year. I was pregnant and very sick our first holidays together so this year I am cooking. Definitely going to do non instant potatoes (I'm one of those people that love instant ones lmao)and probably green beans with a pumpkin pie or a small cake :D It's just us and the baby so I don't need to do a lot of food.
Sounds like a nice relaxing Thanksgiving..You like the instant potatoes? My mom LOVES the instant scalloped potatoes. She’s a small person but can put away a box of them!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My family is overseas so I’m going to a Friendsgiving with my partner and bringing booze and dessert!
Fun! Sounds like you’re bringing the best parts!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like a nice relaxing Thanksgiving..You like the instant potatoes? My mom LOVES the instant scalloped potatoes. She’s a small person but can put away a box of them!

I can't blame her a bit!!! I love those instant ones too! I'm a huge potato person. I like almost all potatoes except for sweet potatoes and that's just because I'm allergic. I lived on and off with my husband before we got married since we were long distance and we made home made potatoes and I told him he should take what he wanted to eat first because I LOVE potatoes.... well... he didn't believe me until he noticed I had filled my plate with them and then ate all of it lol. Then he believed me xD We make very large amounts now lol.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't blame her a bit!!! I love those instant ones too! I'm a huge potato person. I like almost all potatoes except for sweet potatoes and that's just because I'm allergic. I lived on and off with my husband before we got married since we were long distance and we made home made potatoes and I told him he should take what he wanted to eat first because I LOVE potatoes.... well... he didn't believe me until he noticed I had filled my plate with them and then ate all of it lol. Then he believed me xD We make very large amounts now lol.
My daughter in law loves mashed potatoes. She’s very model thin..but no mashed potato side is safe around her. She also loves French fries. She doesn’t eat any carbs..but potatoes are the exception. She won’t make them but always orders a side of them when we go out..:lol:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter in law loves mashed potatoes. She’s very model thin..but no mashed potato side is safe around her. She also loves French fries. She doesn’t eat any carbs..but potatoes are the exception. She won’t make them but always orders a side of them when we go out..:lol:

Woman after my own heart! :D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turkey and all the trimmings.....
But just for the two of us!
I'll make a small turkey, 10-12lb. Then we'll have leftovers for a week!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just the two of us so we got a turkey roast, green beens, riced cauliflower for me, mashed potatoes for hubby, gravy, and Costco pumpkin pie.

That's it.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cook. DH assists. We take the food to my grandparents' house for serving. (we have a dishwasher, they don't) Number of people will be between 8 and 22. (Isn't that fun to not know!)

Turkey 1: Traditional herb & lemon covered stuffed and roasted in the oven
Turkey 2: Either smoking it or roasting with a balsamic & honey glaze
Stuffing: fresh challah baked with herbs then toasted with more herbs and olive oil, apples, toasted almonds
GF/vegan dressing: playing around with some quinoa options so this is more of a quinoa side than a stuffing
potatoes: Yukon gold mashed with vegan buttery sticks (may be sneaking 50/50 with cauliflower...)
sweet potatoes 1: Grandma's recipe with the marshmallows on top (I use vegan but don't tell them!)
sweet potatoes 2: Roasted then tossed with fresh ginger, lime juice, and brown sugar
fresh baked dinner rolls
cranberries 1: fresh cranberries in white wine & orange juice
cranberries 2: uncooked cranberry "relish"
green bean casserole (made with fresh mushrooms, fully vegan, from scratch)
beets: chilled salad with a lemon/honey drizzle
Brussels sprouts: cooked on smoker with garlic & lime juice
chilled carrot salad
pecan pie
pumpkin pie
pumpkin pudding (pie with no crust)
pistachio pudding: Grandma's favorite, no saving this. Tastes great despite no natural food substance being used!

New this year: Looking at adding a maple apple crumble thing I saw yesterday that is GF, DF, low sugar.

Except for the turkey/gravy/stuffing/pies, all food is vegan. (Oh, and the non-food pistachio pudding...) Making sure to have lots of options for GF/vegan. (She is also low carb, low starch, low/no sugar... doing my best to accommodate!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are going to Portland, Oregon to see our two kids who moved there and have a fancy restaurant buffet at a nice hotel. I haven’t seen my daughter who works at U of Oregon for 6 months.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as we host the holiday for my family.

I think we started hosting over 15 years ago and before that my mom was in charge of Thanksgiving. Now my mom does Chanukah and Passover. My sister does NYE and Mother's Day and we do Thanksgiving and Father's Day.LOL in my family we all fight to host the holidays isn't that crazy? It is a lot of work. But I love being on my turf and no one cooks as wonderfully as my dh and my mom and sister are pretty good cooks so that is saying something.

This year will be a bit different as it will be gluten/dairy/soy free so we shall see how it turns out. But I know no matter what with my dh cooking it will be delicious.

Menu includes sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, apple pie, pumpkin pie, maybe blueberry maple crumble, turkey and gravy (fish for me as I don't eat turkey), brussel sprouts, cauliflower, mashed potatoes, and other veggies. Yummmmm.

Here's to everyone enjoying happy food comas. :lol:

turkey-coma1.gif

Gobble gobble.

thanksgiving.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Turkey and all the trimmings.....
But just for the two of us!
I'll make a small turkey, 10-12lb. Then we'll have leftovers for a week!
The leftovers are what kill me.I remember reading an article from Erma Bombeck where you have turkey on Thanksgiving and then you make turkey soup, turkey casserole, etc. and it keeps multiplying so you have leftovers forever! It’s hysterical!
I tried to get a small turkey one year but there wasn’t enough white meat for my husband! He eats the dinner and then makes himself a turkey sandwich later on rye bread..He LOVES his turkey..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays as we host the holiday for my family.

I think we started hosting over 15 years ago and before that my mom was in charge of Thanksgiving. Now my mom does Chanukah and Passover. My sister does NYE and Mother's Day and we do Thanksgiving and Father's Day.LOL in my family we all fight to host the holidays isn't that crazy? It is a lot of work. But I love being on my turf and no one cooks as wonderfully as my dh and my mom and sister are pretty good cooks so that is saying something.

This year will be a bit different as it will be gluten/dairy/soy free so we shall see how it turns out. But I know no matter what with my dh cooking it will be delicious.

Menu includes sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberries, apple pie, pumpkin pie, maybe blueberry maple crumble, turkey and gravy (fish for me as I don't eat turkey), brussel sprouts, cauliflower, mashed potatoes, and other veggies. Yummmmm.

Here's to everyone enjoying happy food comas. :lol:

turkey-coma1.gif

Gobble gobble.

thanksgiving.gif
I wish I had a large family with sisters and brothers..That would be fun at the holidays. My mom is too old to cook now and she lives with me..and my husband doesn’t cook..He makes me Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for dinner each time I came home from the hospital after babies. It was the running joke that I would get it again..It was funny because he would ask me how it was!:lol: He does help with the dishes and that’s huge but I just need a break this year!
Your menu sounds yummy! I don’t eat fish..strange I know especially I’m near water in my second home and everyone eats it for how fresh it is..but I was thinking of getting a rotisserie chicken this year just for me..I love the sweet potatoes..stuffing..and brussel sprouts. I also make stuffed artichokes! Yummmmmmmm....I’ll have to make that another time. I am going to miss that!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had a large family with sisters and brothers..That would be fun at the holidays. My mom is too old to cook now and she lives with me..and my husband doesn’t cook..He makes me Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for dinner each time I came home from the hospital after babies. It was the running joke that I would get it again..It was funny because he would ask me how it was!:lol: He does help with the dishes and that’s huge but I just need a break this year!
Your menu sounds yummy! I don’t eat fish..strange I know especially I’m near water in my second home and everyone eats it for how fresh it is..but I was thinking of getting a rotisserie chicken this year just for me..I love the sweet potatoes..stuffing..and brussel sprouts. I also make stuffed artichokes! Yummmmmmmm....I’ll have to make that another time. I am going to miss that!

We actually have a really small family. It’s just my sister and me, our DHs and my 2 nieces and my parents. My aunt and uncle don’t travel on thanksgiving and spend it with their closest friends who are like siblings to them. We are always invited there and they are invited here and occasionally they do come but generally we don’t see my aunt and uncle during thanksgiving. So it’s only 8 of us but at max it would be 10. Which I guess doesn’t sound super small but that’s it for my family.

Occasionally we invite friends and I am thinking about inviting one of my mom’s friends but she is crazy and I don’t want drama and need peace as much as possible with all we are dealing with atm. So I am torn. I feel badly not inviting her as my mom has requested but neither greg nor I like her because she is super dramatic and I’m trying to keep stress to a minimum. Oy what to do what to do. I know the “right” thing to do would be to include her but is it awful to put greg and me first during this time?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are going to Portland, Oregon to see our two kids who moved there and have a fancy restaurant buffet at a nice hotel. I haven’t seen my daughter who works at U of Oregon for 6 months.
What fun! No cooking and seeing your children...I’m happy for you! It’s amazing when they get older and everyone’s an adult. It’s an adjustment but wonderful at the same time.
I went through a period when we lived in Missouri and my middle son was in Virginia..I would make the plane trips over to see him because he could never get off. It would go for long periods of not seeing him..I remember trying to keep myself from knocking him over with a hug when I did see him..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We actually have a really small family. It’s just my sister and me, our DHs and my 2 nieces and my parents. My aunt and uncle don’t travel on thanksgiving and spend it with their closest friends who are like siblings to them. We are always invited there and they are invited here and occasionally they do come but generally we don’t see my aunt and uncle during thanksgiving. So it’s only 8 of us but at max it would be 10. Which I guess doesn’t sound super small but that’s it for my family.

Occasionally we invite friends and I am thinking about inviting one of my mom’s friends but she is crazy and I don’t want drama and need peace as much as possible with all we are dealing with atm. So I am torn. I feel badly not inviting her as my mom has requested but neither greg nor I like her because she is super dramatic and I’m trying to keep stress to a minimum. Oy what to do what to do. I know the “right” thing to do would be to include her but is it awful to put greg and me first during this time?

I don’t think it’s wrong at all. If we don’t be our own advocate then no one else will. I get stressed during the Christmas holidays, expectations, trying to be perfect..I call it the Norman Rockwell syndrome. I’m trying to give myself less stress this year..so understand wanting to not have to invite craziness to what will be a nice soothing Thanksgiving. If you can’t say no to mom..(boy do I know that’s hard) .. can you invite her for dessert? This way the time is shorter but she can still be invited..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think it’s wrong at all. If we don’t be our own advocate then no one else will. I get stressed during the Christmas holidays, expectations, trying to be perfect..I call it the Norman Rockwell syndrome. I’m trying to give myself less stress this year..so understand wanting to not have to invite craziness to what will be a nice soothing Thanksgiving. If you can’t say no to mom..(boy do I know that’s hard) .. can you invite her for dessert? This way the time is shorter but she can still be invited..

Thanks @Mamabean thst would be a good idea if she was local but she’s a distance away. And it would also not be good for us to do that because I could see her feeling she’s not good enough to invite for the full meal. We actually do this with neighbors and invite them for dessert but it works better for those who live close and also aren’t alone which she may or may not be this holiday. And that’s why it’s weighing heavily on my mind. Arghhh. :(2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks @Mamabean thst would be a good idea if she was local but she’s a distance away. And it would also not be good for us to do that because I could see her feeling she’s not good enough to invite for the full meal. We actually do this with neighbors and invite them for dessert but it works better for those who live close and also aren’t alone which she may or may not be this holiday. And that’s why it’s weighing heavily on my mind. Arghhh. :(2
Okay..Yes that’s a tough one..Would this be the only year she wouldn’t be invited?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay..Yes that’s a tough one..Would this be the only year she wouldn’t be invited?

No we have never invited her before. It’s complicated but she seems to be alone this year and while according to my mom has tons of friends she doesn’t want to go anywhere and prefers to be home alone. I don’t know why my mom feels she would come to our home but I’m guessing if we invited her she would. It would change the whole feeling of the day from hectic but happy to hectic and very stressed. My DH is leaving it to me. He doesn’t want her to come but also says it would be a nice thing to do. Though he prefers not to it’s up to me. (I am the “mean”one in our relationship lol).

If it wasn’t for health issues I’d invite her in a heartbeat. We are a warm family always inclusive of others. I grew up that way and while in past years our thanksgiving has been just family we had included friends in many past thanksgivings.

I’m just not feeling up to adding to our stress this year. But I’ll think about it. I hate for anyone to be lonely during the holidays. ::)

Ok thanks for indulging me @Mamabean and enough from me and back to the happy topic of thanksgiving plans.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No we have never invited her before. It’s complicated but she seems to be alone this year and while according to my mom has tons of friends she doesn’t want to go anywhere and prefers to be home alone. I don’t know why my mom feels she would come to our home but I’m guessing if we invited her she would. It would change the whole feeling of the day from hectic but happy to hectic and very stressed. My DH is leaving it to me. He doesn’t want her to come but also says it would be a nice thing to do. Though he prefers not to it’s up to me. (I am the “mean”one in our relationship lol).

If it wasn’t for health issues I’d invite her in a heartbeat. We are a warm family always inclusive of others. I grew up that way and while in past years our thanksgiving has been just family we had included friends in many past thanksgivings.

I’m just not feeling up to adding to our stress this year. But I’ll think about it. I hate for anyone to be lonely during the holidays. ::)

Ok thanks for indulging me @Mamabean and enough from me and back to the happy topic of thanksgiving plans.
Okay..I don’t like to give out advice unless asked for it..but I’m going to say I wouldn’t invite her. I will take anyone into my home in a heartbeat. We have to take care of ourselves first..

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just the two of us so we got a turkey roast, green beens, riced cauliflower for me, mashed potatoes for hubby, gravy, and Costco pumpkin pie.

That's it.
I LOVE Costco pumpkin pie! I’ve tried many but their’s is the best!
I’ve never had riced cauliflower..How do you make it? Do you rice it yourself?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cook. DH assists. We take the food to my grandparents' house for serving. (we have a dishwasher, they don't) Number of people will be between 8 and 22. (Isn't that fun to not know!)

Turkey 1: Traditional herb & lemon covered stuffed and roasted in the oven
Turkey 2: Either smoking it or roasting with a balsamic & honey glaze
Stuffing: fresh challah baked with herbs then toasted with more herbs and olive oil, apples, toasted almonds
GF/vegan dressing: playing around with some quinoa options so this is more of a quinoa side than a stuffing
potatoes: Yukon gold mashed with vegan buttery sticks (may be sneaking 50/50 with cauliflower...)
sweet potatoes 1: Grandma's recipe with the marshmallows on top (I use vegan but don't tell them!)
sweet potatoes 2: Roasted then tossed with fresh ginger, lime juice, and brown sugar
fresh baked dinner rolls
cranberries 1: fresh cranberries in white wine & orange juice
cranberries 2: uncooked cranberry "relish"
green bean casserole (made with fresh mushrooms, fully vegan, from scratch)
beets: chilled salad with a lemon/honey drizzle
Brussels sprouts: cooked on smoker with garlic & lime juice
chilled carrot salad
pecan pie
pumpkin pie
pumpkin pudding (pie with no crust)
pistachio pudding: Grandma's favorite, no saving this. Tastes great despite no natural food substance being used!

New this year: Looking at adding a maple apple crumble thing I saw yesterday that is GF, DF, low sugar.

Except for the turkey/gravy/stuffing/pies, all food is vegan. (Oh, and the non-food pistachio pudding...) Making sure to have lots of options for GF/vegan. (She is also low carb, low starch, low/no sugar... doing my best to accommodate!
When should we be at your grandma’s house?!? Wow!:lickout:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I'm only not having the same issues (note the difference between 8 and 22 at dinner...) because Grandma is in charge of inviting people and I just cook. I've had the same feelings you are towards a few "family friends" who are dramatic, rude, and just unpleasant to be around but can shove them aside because I don't make that decision. I wish I could say what I would do if I had to choose!

How would your mom feel if the friend isn't invited?
Would that feeling make the day stressful and hard?
Would your mom be understanding?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m cooking. I make a very basic thanksgiving meal..nothing out of the ordinary except for the fact that I have to make the biggest turkey I can find for my son. After thanksgiving, he wants to live on turkey, cranberry, and stuffing sandwiches for as long as humanly possible.

I buy four turkeys each year. One for thanksgiving, one for Christmas, one for smoking at some point, and one to bbq in June. For the smoked and bbq’d turkeys I make experimental side dishes that I wouldn’t normally make on thanksgiving. I have a lot of fun with theses meals.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE Costco pumpkin pie! I’ve tried many but their’s is the best!
I’ve never had riced cauliflower..How do you make it? Do you rice it yourself?

I buy it frozen from Trader Joes or Costco, lol. Would prefer rice or mashed potatoes but am diabetic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results