shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy can you please come make my kitchen as "messy" as yours? I have boxes of veggies everywhere!

Hahaha boxes of veggies around sound pretty good to me and no problem. I am good at making messes but fair warning I am not so great at cleaning them up...luckily my dh is not just a good chef but he can clean up after himself pretty well too.:kiss:

Cranberries done. Beets roasting. Challah for dressing toasting in the oven.

Sounds so yummy. Love beets and I have been eating them every day trying to get more iron in my diet. And well who doesn't love Challah bread...I am going to be missing that very much but enjoy some extra for me please!

Happy Thanksgiving all!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Thanksgiving blingy friends! :mrgreen2:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Missy, interesting! :sun:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I've been reading up on basting. Something in an article on fresh turkeys being moister made me investigate. My mom taught me to baste every 20-30 minutes. Almost every article says you don't need to....

Anybody?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I've been reading up on basting. Something in an article on fresh turkeys being moister made me investigate. My mom taught me to baste every 20-30 minutes. Almost every article says you don't need to....

Anybody?
Yes..I did the same thing..I tried it both ways..It didn’t make a difference. Whatever you do don’t do the Martha Stewart thing with butter soaked cheesecloth on top..It attached itself and I pulled off all the skin when I took it off even though I tried not to. I lather it up with butter and put a loose foil tent over it when it gets a little brown and then take it off nearing the end to finish browning.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes..I did the same thing..I tried it both ways..It didn’t make a difference. Whatever you do don’t do the Martha Stewart thing with butter soaked cheesecloth on top..It attached itself and I pulled off all the skin when I took it off even though I tried not to. I lather it up with butter and put a loose foil tent over it when it gets a little brown and then take it off nearing the end to finish browning.
Oh no!! :cry2:

Yes, I lathered it up with a stick of butter. I guess I will try not to baste then, though after almost 25 years of cooking turkey's, it may be hard! Thank you!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no!! :cry2:

Yes, I lathered it up with a stick of butter. I guess I will try not to baste then, though after almost 25 years of cooking turkey's, it may be hard! Thank you!!
I counted making 40 turkeys! I’ve made them since very young when my mom stopped making them! Hence my break this year! I would just rub it once again in the middle just to feel like I was doing something!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I counted making 40 turkeys! I’ve made them since very young when my mom stopped making them! Hence my break this year! I would just rub it once again in the middle just to feel like I was doing something!
Boy you were young! After my mom quit, we went out a couple years, and my sister cooked a couple times, then I took over.

And I did go peek at it, good thing. The wings were stuck to the side of the pan, so I squirted the whole bird and shook it loose. I must say, this is way easier. I am wondering though, if it will end up getting done a bit earlier, since the oven is not being cooled off periodically. We shall see.....
hmmm.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Boy you were young! After my mom quit, we went out a couple years, and my sister cooked a couple times, then I took over.

And I did go peek at it, good thing. The wings were stuck to the side of the pan, so I squirted the whole bird and shook it loose. I must say, this is way easier. I am wondering though, if it will end up getting done a bit earlier, since the oven is not being cooled off periodically. We shall see.....
hmmm.gif
It may get done earlier..makes sense.. I tuck the wings under the armpits..haha..It’s a wrestle to do it but it keeps him from flipping out of the pan and dripping into my oven.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deep breaths. Turkey in cooking, rolls rising, dressing under way, sweet potatoes (two types) cooking, stock made, cranberries done, beets done, three types of pies done.

Heading home to finish cooking before going back to serve.

If I survive today smiling and manage to not punch someone, I will be doing well. Long story.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may get done earlier..makes sense.. I tuck the wings under the armpits..haha..It’s a wrestle to do it but it keeps him from flipping out of the pan and dripping into my oven.
lol That's what I do too, but the wings still touch the sides of the pan. It's a bigun.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deep breaths. Turkey in cooking, rolls rising, dressing under way, sweet potatoes (two types) cooking, stock made, cranberries done, beets done, three types of pies done.

Heading home to finish cooking before going back to serve.

If I survive today smiling and manage to not punch someone, I will be doing well. Long story.
Oh no, I was all ready to high five you, til I read the last couple lines..... Hang in there! Count your blessings. ;))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
6E76EE79-566A-4CE3-A03D-1D5693956C6E.jpeg
I’m getting ready to go to dinner at the restaurant. It feels surreal! I’m always arm deep in cooking.. I’m wearing my diamond jackets with blue topaz studs because my two pairs diamond studs don’t fit. They look pretty anyway.. I’m standing in front of of my bad husband wall. I’ll explain later!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m getting ready to go to dinner at the restaurant. It feels surreal! I’m always arm deep in cooking.. I’m wearing my diamond jackets with blue topaz studs because my two pairs diamond studs don’t fit. They look pretty anyway.. I’m standing in front of of my bad husband wall. I’ll explain later!
:appl: Beautiful earrings!! :love: I'm so happy you got the day off. Savor every moment. ::)

*waiting to hear about bad husband, who must have been very bad to have a whole wall dedicated to him* :bigsmile: ;))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Beautiful earrings!! :love: I'm so happy you got the day off. Savor every moment. ::)

*waiting to hear about bad husband, who must have been very bad to have a whole wall dedicated to him* :bigsmile: ;))
Thank you! He has his moments but he’s a keeper!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, everyone's dinners sound delish!! I'm at work all day today and tomorrow, because... well, ya know... healthcare -- BOO!! However, we'll be traveling to east TN for the weekend to have our "belated Thanksgiving" with family. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!! :kiss2:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous! I am very curious about the wall. Such beautiful pieces behind you, I am almost afraid to ask what he did to the sets!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh, everyone's dinners sound delish!! I'm at work all day today and tomorrow, because... well, ya know... healthcare -- BOO!! However, we'll be traveling to east TN for the weekend to have our "belated Thanksgiving" with family. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!! :kiss2:
Do they wait to have their Tday meal with you, or do they do two?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do they wait to have their Tday meal with you, or do they do two?

Yes, they actually do wait for me! It just works out to always wait until the weekend after to have our family T'giving. Most of my family lives within about an hour of my mother's house, but we live about 3.5 hours away, have the youngest child, AND lose an hour traveling from CST to EST - so we always get to bring non-perishables - ya know, the EASY STUFF!! ;-)

My younger sisters are twins - one is an RN (but works PRN at a doc's office) and the other is a teacher, so both have the weekends off regardless. My older sister has some health issues (RA, fibromyalgia, lupus), so she doesn't work and can get together anytime.

The only way I don't work holidays is if it just happens to fall on one of my scheduled days off... the only day my clinic is closed is Christmas Day, because, well... the almighty corporate dollar is much more important. :( That said, I'm fortunate and very *thankful* that my family works around my schedule! :)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay..Sitting waiting for the check..Contentment! A06B07E2-FA03-4C02-A9B5-AF4BF47E2BA5.jpeg
My husband gets grouchy and will sometimes say or do something that hurts my feelings. Most of the time he’s the best and very thoughtful. I may not want to cause a stir for various reasons so I would buy a vintage or antique cake plate for spite. It would make me feel better and we didn’t have an argument. I would tell him I was upset with him but he would blow it off...so the cake plate collection started. I have 21 plates! He never knew anything other than I like vintage cake plates. Friends all knew about the wall..One day I was showing my friend the “bad husband wall.” My husband overheard me and I was busted! We all laughed. After that every time he did something bad he would ask if I was getting another plate. My expression even today is for me to say “cake plate!” when he’s a grouch. It lightens the mood. I had an uneven amount at one point and he said I should just get the plate..that he was probably going to deserve one anyway! My wall doesn’t have any space for more so I collect other things! :lol:

Last edited:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, they actually do wait for me! It just works out to always wait until the weekend after to have our family T'giving. Most of my family lives within about an hour of my mother's house, but we live about 3.5 hours away, have the youngest child, AND lose an hour traveling from CST to EST - so we always get to bring non-perishables - ya know, the EASY STUFF!! ;-)

My younger sisters are twins - one is an RN (but works PRN at a doc's office) and the other is a teacher, so both have the weekends off regardless. My older sister has some health issues (RA, fibromyalgia, lupus), so she doesn't work and can get together anytime.

The only way I don't work holidays is if it just happens to fall on one of my scheduled days off... the only day my clinic is closed is Christmas Day, because, well... the almighty corporate dollar is much more important. :( That said, I'm fortunate and very *thankful* that my family works around my schedule! :)
That's really nice that they wait! I used to do that for my brother who lives out of town, but we finally quit several years ago, and everyone was in agreement. So now when he comes down the weekend after we all get together for dessert, which is much easier and way more relaxing for me. Which is always a good thing. ::)

I hope you have safe travels and a great weekend!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay..Sitting waiting for the check..Contentment! A06B07E2-FA03-4C02-A9B5-AF4BF47E2BA5.jpeg
My husband gets grouchy and will sometimes say or do something that hurts my feelings. Most of the time he’s the best and very thoughtful. I may not want to cause a stir for various reasons so I would buy a vintage or antique cake plate for spite. It would make me feel better and we didn’t have an argument. I would tell him I was upset with him but he would blow it off...so the cake plate collection started. I have 21 plates! He never knew anything other than I like vintage cake plates. Friends all knew about the wall..One day I was showing my friend the “bad husband wall.” My husband overheard me and I was busted! We all laughed. After that every time he did something bad he would ask if I was getting another plate. My expression even today is for me to say “cake plate!” when he’s a grouch. It lightens the mood. I had an uneven amount at one point and he said I should just get the plate..that he was probably going to deserve one anyway! My wall doesn’t have any space for more so I collect other things! :lol:
:lol: I LOVE this story!!!! All of it!! :bigsmile: :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's really nice that they wait! I used to do that for my brother who lives out of town, but we finally quit several years ago, and everyone was in agreement. So now when he comes down the weekend after we all get together for dessert, which is much easier and way more relaxing for me. Which is always a good thing. ::)

I hope you have safe travels and a great weekend!

Hey, that sounds like a winner too! I'd certainly be happy with desserts! Thanks, @Ellen!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oof. So full.
Had the classic meal but dessert was a bit of fun. A “cherpumple” which is 3 types of pies (cherry,pumpkin,apple) baked into 3 cakes (white, spice, yellow), stacked and frosted in buttercream. Delicious.
A42BE0A6-E652-4BFB-873F-C73E1399CA2D.jpeg AFF52B4C-7D53-422E-A9E3-1472EE72D16D.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oof. So full.
Had the classic meal but dessert was a bit of fun. A “cherpumple” which is 3 types of pies (cherry,pumpkin,apple) baked into 3 cakes (white, spice, yellow), stacked and frosted in buttercream. Delicious.
A42BE0A6-E652-4BFB-873F-C73E1399CA2D.jpeg AFF52B4C-7D53-422E-A9E3-1472EE72D16D.jpeg
OH MY GOODNESS! I think I gained ten pounds looking at it! It’s like a Turduckin of cake and pie!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
02E28D64-C8DC-426D-810F-32E963AE4ADC.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mercedes Benz Superdome for the Saints vs Falcons game. It’s probably on TV.

And #diamondgoals saints ower Gayle Benson has on an amazing diamond necklace tonight —someone try to look it up. Totally worth it.

I’m going to lose my signal soon.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dinner was delicious. Grandma was thrilled to have brussel sprouts (Grandpa doesn't like so she seldom has) and Grandpa loved the dressing. Everyone LOVED the gravy. Much food was eaten and leftovers for my grandparents, Aunt/cousins, and mom for days to come. We got their house cleaned up so nothing for them to worry about later.

I made it through the day without hitting anyone or even crying (much). The drama king stayed in his motorhome and refused to come in so that helped!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results