shape
carat
color
clarity

What are you buying him or

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
DH likes "experience" type gifts, so I''m always on the lookout for concert/theatre tickets or lessons.

He''s a great guitar player, but has wanted to take it to the next level so I got him guitar lessons with a pro. I was also contemplating massage lessons as he interested in kinesiology and therapy as it helped him with a golf injury he suffered a couple of years ago. But, I didn''t want to hear how that present is really for me!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 4:42:37 PM
Author: AmberWaves
I''m having such a hard time with this, he actually asked for a sport watch he doesn''t have to worry about breaking. When I asked him what he was specifically looking for, he was like, ''Um, I don''t know.'' Greaaat. I already got him a DVD, a subscription to a magazine he loves and I know I''m going to get him socks (he LOOOOVES socks), but he really needs to tell me what kind of watch he wants, otherwise he''s getting a pepsi-swatch watch.
Amber, maybe he''d like a G-shock watch. I am pretty sure that''s the right name. My bf has one and it''s that sort of sportier, unbreakable watch. He really likes his and got it on ebay b/c they are pretty expensive, so he says...

I still don''t know what I''m doing. I like the lessons idea but can''t think of anything he''s interested in. I did see a laughing pen for $20 that I will buy him, press a button and it makes a laughing sound. Kind of goofy but thought he''d get a kick out of it. I almost wish he did like sports so I could get some unique sports thing. I bought tickets to a play just last year so I''m trying to think of something different.
This is hard! Everyone has so many great ideas that I''m hoping I can borrow something! And you ladies are keeping me motivated to think of something so keep on posting!!!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a weekend at one of those racing schools? They get to drive around a track and have fun, and if they go with a pal it is a blast. My dh has gone twice, once to a racing school and once to a school where they teach body guards how to drive and escape kidnappers. He and a few friends went and stayed in a nicer hotel, got massages and had nice meals and smoked cigars. He loved it.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to suggest www.findgift.com for those still having trouble. I am now thinking of getting a digital picture frame, which hooks up to a digital camera. He just got a digital camera so I thought that might be neat.
I did see quite a few things on the site that I could get at some point.
You can search by categories, such as: practical, thoughtful, fun, etc... after you put in the basics, such as: male, age range, reason for present, etc...

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 10:34:44 PM
Author: diamondfan
What about a weekend at one of those racing schools? They get to drive around a track and have fun, and if they go with a pal it is a blast. My dh has gone twice, once to a racing school and once to a school where they teach body guards how to drive and escape kidnappers. He and a few friends went and stayed in a nicer hotel, got massages and had nice meals and smoked cigars. He loved it.
This is a great idea. DH has been to 2. The Porsche school in Alabama and Drive Tech (Nascar style racing) in Fontana, CA. He had soooo much fun. I love the school DF is talking about. Ooooh driving like a bodyguard, escaping kidnapers...man stuff!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never heard of a racing school and will have to look into that. I think he might like that! Thanks for the idea.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Dixie, that''s a great idea! I''ll look them up.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know if it''s possible to take one''s own car to a race track just to drive around for fun? My hubby just bought a fancy sports car and I think he might like doing something like that.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I feel bad because I haven''t been able to find a "big" gift for him yet and even though we are newlyweds and should be saving he is giving me a diamond pendant (OEC I inherited and having re-set in a pendant.)

So far for him I have-
nice vintage map calendar
leather valet thingy for him to put his keys/change in
stocking stuffers of Avon men''s skin line
Hugo Boss Cologne (that he knows about)

I think I need to get him one "big" thing- probably something techonology related, but I am bad at that...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I am always looking on woot.com for good tech gift deals and ideas...

today it''s a DVD player for $40...

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 1:41:18 PM
Author: KristyDarling
Does anyone know if it''s possible to take one''s own car to a race track just to drive around for fun? My hubby just bought a fancy sports car and I think he might like doing something like that.
There are some tracks that allow this. Our good friend is in a Porsche club. They meet once a month at a track and race. You can find it throught the Porsche site. I''m not sure if it''s only for Porsche, though. Here''s a link for that http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/ I couldn''t find other ones in a search. I''ll check with DH later. He''s bound to know of something.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2006 6:52:22 PM
Author: Miranda

There are some tracks that allow this. Our good friend is in a Porsche club. They meet once a month at a track and race. You can find it throught the Porsche site. I''m not sure if it''s only for Porsche, though. Here''s a link for that http://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/ I couldn''t find other ones in a search. I''ll check with DH later. He''s bound to know of something.
Miranda - this is great information, thanks! As a matter of fact, DH bought a Porsche Cayman S so the Porsche Club web site might be a good resource for track information. Thanks again!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a potential guy gift idea:

I got my boyfriend a Slingbox. It''s this gadget that you hook up to your TV/cablebox that lets you watch your TV (even TiVo''d and DVR''d shows) from your computer (and I think phone too)! You can even change the channels through your computer so it is literally like having yoru TV anywhere. Great for keeping up with your favorite shows while you are away from home. It is especially great for us because I don''t have cable and he is always whining about it. So now he can watch what he wants at my place instead of being forced to just watch whatever is on Fox (which is pretty much the only station that comes in clear on my TV).

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
he said he wanted a PSP, but i don''t know why, he''ll never have time to play it. he''s currently into video games again and he''s playing final fantasy 12 on the playstation. i guess i''ll get him that since that''s what he wants.

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
My DH wants a video ipod.
36.gif

neren

Rough_Rock
My BF is also in deployment, he is supposed be home for holiday and we are supposed to be making our engement official during the holiday season, unfortunately, he got extended and will not be home until next month, but he wants an ipod nano so I got him that and since he is complaining about the laptop he is using (which is BTW my left over laptop) I decided to get him a new laptop which now I have no choice but to open and set up the whole thing so we can make sure thats nothing wrong with laptop. The extension completely ruined my holiday
8.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 11:07:41 PM
Date: 11/28/2006 10:34:44 PM

Author: diamondfan

This is a great idea. DH has been to 2. The Porsche school in Alabama and Drive Tech (Nascar style racing) in Fontana, CA. He had soooo much fun. I love the school DF is talking about. Ooooh driving like a bodyguard, escaping kidnapers...man stuff!

Miranda, I cracked up wen he told me. I raised my eyebrows like, you need to learn to evade WHAT? He actually then said it is really about "defensive driving skills and techniques", useful when you drive in L.A. where we lived at the time. Bottom line was he had a ball, a fun guys weekend.

One warning though...his ego about his driving abilities increased by a ton..."I am a trained professional you know!" is what he would say when I told him to slow down or not be in so aggressive behind the wheel!

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 4:26:04 PM
For my hubby, I''m getting:

1. A massage at a spa near his office

2. 1 pair of Gap jeans (he just discovered the wonders of their loose boot cut jeans)

3. Calendar made with our kids'' pictures

4. Some kind of Kansas City Chiefs fan gear

If your hubby is hard to buy for and isn''t into sports, you could do ''universal'' man gifts such as tickets to a comedy club, dinner for 2 at his favorite fancy restaurant, a gift certificate to a bookstore, or a gift cert to a spa for a massage.

We''re Chiefs fans too!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I went to school in Kansas and he grew up in KC....huge fans!. I''ve already gotten him like two polos and a t-shirt for past presents
2.gif

Go Chiefs!

M~

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 1:19:29 AM
Author: Ann
Yeah, my guy is hard to buy for also. He actually told me he wanted some new software for his GPS system. He uses this little device while kayaking on the lake.

So his gifts so far;

software for GPS

laptop

recreational atlas of New Mexico (he wants to explore the Gila Wilderness)

small leather book of maps of US National Parks (Orvis) monogrammed

3 shirts

bison leather driving shoes

I''m looking for a nice lightweight winter jacket - have no idea what though

and I''m sure as I stroll (!) through the stores, I''ll find other tempting goodies.

Stocking stuff to be determined

Ann, I love the leather map book idea!!!...he would absolutely love this!. Are you getting this from the Orvis website or somewhere else?. It looks nice on the site, but I was wondering if you have seen it in person?.

I wish I could get him the tan leather but with the National Parks option, but it looks like choosing the color is not an option, so green it is!

Thanks for this idea!!!

To answer the thread question..

- I''m getting him a grill (combining last years''s and this year''s present...long story!)
- I got him a mouse pad with a funny picture our dog...it''s a close up of his face and he just looks so funny!
- An now I will get him that leather book!
36.gif

I still want more ideas for little fun things...

Great thread Dixie!!!!!

M~

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2006 10:16:12 PM
Author: dixie94

Date: 11/27/2006 4:42:37 PM
Author: AmberWaves
I''m having such a hard time with this, he actually asked for a sport watch he doesn''t have to worry about breaking. When I asked him what he was specifically looking for, he was like, ''Um, I don''t know.'' Greaaat. I already got him a DVD, a subscription to a magazine he loves and I know I''m going to get him socks (he LOOOOVES socks), but he really needs to tell me what kind of watch he wants, otherwise he''s getting a pepsi-swatch watch.
Amber, maybe he''d like a G-shock watch. I am pretty sure that''s the right name. My bf has one and it''s that sort of sportier, unbreakable watch. He really likes his and got it on ebay b/c they are pretty expensive, so he says...

I still don''t know what I''m doing. I like the lessons idea but can''t think of anything he''s interested in. I did see a laughing pen for $20 that I will buy him, press a button and it makes a laughing sound. Kind of goofy but thought he''d get a kick out of it. I almost wish he did like sports so I could get some unique sports thing. I bought tickets to a play just last year so I''m trying to think of something different.
This is hard! Everyone has so many great ideas that I''m hoping I can borrow something! And you ladies are keeping me motivated to think of something so keep on posting!!!
Seriously...they are the bomb and you can get them at Costco sometimes for about $60! They are tough as nails...and some have a lot of features (diving, skydiving, etc...) if your hubby is into those sorts of thing! If you want to spend a little more...get a Suunto. My husband has both and they both stand up to his crazy X-Games type of life!

He''s also been to the driving schools through work, (the bodyguard/security one) and loved it, and plans on going to a more advanced one asap! Of course, I''m terrified everytime I get into a vehicle with him...

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/27/2006 7:03:36 PM
A custom made surfboard. Once it was a skateboard. It has been Playstation 2 games many many times. *sigh* I''ve only gotten him grown up gifts a couple of times. He''s a total kid which is quite a contrast to his apppearance and career, both conservative. My nickname for him is Corporate Ken because so many people have said he looks like a Ken doll (not the new yucko haired ones). I''ll probably get him a few little things...framed pics of the kids, KD''s calendar gift gave me an idea, maybe some Chargers stuff. You know, the same kinds of things we get our 12 year old.
20.gif
thats what i got my dh as a wedding present. One of his buddies shapes boards, an made him one with our wedding date small by the wood block. http://www.wegenersurfboards.com/

All he wants for xmas are these surf racks for the garage, so he can stack all 3 of his boards. http://www.saltwaterdreams.com/shop/srshowcategory.php?catid=201&h1=surfboardracks.saltwaterdreams.com&relay=Racks

i am trying to think what else to get him. he hates gifts, as he buys himself what he needs and I know nothing about baseball card auctions! WHy cant he be as easy as me to shop for?

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
We're having a "newlywed" Christmas/Hanukkah this year -- as in, "We just spent a lot of $$ on a wedding three months ago, so we can't go crazy with gifts this year!"

So ... despite my million and one hints, I don't think he's going to be getting me that Balenciaga bag I keep pointing out to him!
7.gif
But instead he's getting me the super-cutest laptop bag I've ever seen: the Uptown Bella Ashley http://www.uptownbella.com/ashley.html. Love it!! (As much as I love the red, I went with the black because the red has a white bottom, which will get SO dirty!)

I'm getting him cycling things, as usual! He just picked out two different trainers for himself (trainers being the things so you can ride the bike indoors), so that will be my gift to him. He already used one, but the other is going under the tree!

So basically we each already bought our OWN things and then the other will wind up paying for them. Not very exciting, I know, but that's just the way it worked out this year.

And I think we'll do small things for each other, too, because those are fun and I can't resist buying them
4.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
since i haven''t thought of that big wow gift for him this year - probably b/c of the wedding
38.gif
- i''m doing the 12 days of christmas with hubby. starting on dec. 13 all through the 25, he''ll open up one gift per day. i think he''ll enjoy that cause it''s unexpected. here are some of the items on my list for him. don''t laugh.

-gift card towards a new suit
-gift card to his favorite clothing store
-vosage truffles
-burberry boxers
-his favorite shave oil
-a new business card holder
-cufflink travel box

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
A historical atlas. He''s been reading all these history books lately and complaining that he can''t picture where anything is, that the borders have changed, etc. I had no idea what to get him (probably wasn''t going to get him anything since we''re not really into occasional gifts) but then the other day he started screaming from his office: "Where was PRUSSIA??! AHRGGG!!" so I got online and ordered it. He''s going to jump up and down when I give it to him. My guy is THE BIGGEST DORK in the world.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock

It it possible, though the only one I can think of is in West Virginia, would that work for you? I think there are more, my dad''s done it a few times.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2006 1:03:51 PM
Author: mercoledi

It it possible, though the only one I can think of is in West Virginia, would that work for you? I think there are more, my dad''s done it a few times.
Thanks Mercoledi. We''re in NorCal so that wont work for us.
emsmile.gif
Thanks though! DH will just have to be satisfied with jeans and a breathalyzer keychain! hehe.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2006 6:13:51 PM
Author: Mandarine

Date: 11/27/2006 4:26:04 PM
For my hubby, I''m getting:

1. A massage at a spa near his office

2. 1 pair of Gap jeans (he just discovered the wonders of their loose boot cut jeans)

3. Calendar made with our kids'' pictures

4. Some kind of Kansas City Chiefs fan gear

If your hubby is hard to buy for and isn''t into sports, you could do ''universal'' man gifts such as tickets to a comedy club, dinner for 2 at his favorite fancy restaurant, a gift certificate to a bookstore, or a gift cert to a spa for a massage.

We''re Chiefs fans too!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I went to school in Kansas and he grew up in KC....huge fans!. I''ve already gotten him like two polos and a t-shirt for past presents
2.gif

Go Chiefs!

M~
Hehe. So you''re rabid fans, too huh? DH is out of control. When we go to weddings, he refuses to wear any other tie except for his obnoxious KC Chiefs silk tie.
20.gif
DH grew up in KC, and clearly being diehard fans is a requirement of living there!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 6:17:29 PM
Author: Mandarine

Date: 11/28/2006 1:19:29 AM
Author: Ann
Yeah, my guy is hard to buy for also. He actually told me he wanted some new software for his GPS system. He uses this little device while kayaking on the lake.

So his gifts so far;

software for GPS

laptop

recreational atlas of New Mexico (he wants to explore the Gila Wilderness)

small leather book of maps of US National Parks (Orvis) monogrammed

3 shirts

bison leather driving shoes

I''m looking for a nice lightweight winter jacket - have no idea what though

and I''m sure as I stroll (!) through the stores, I''ll find other tempting goodies.

Stocking stuff to be determined

Ann, I love the leather map book idea!!!...he would absolutely love this!. Are you getting this from the Orvis website or somewhere else?. It looks nice on the site, but I was wondering if you have seen it in person?.

I wish I could get him the tan leather but with the National Parks option, but it looks like choosing the color is not an option, so green it is!

Thanks for this idea!!!

To answer the thread question..

- I''m getting him a grill (combining last years''s and this year''s present...long story!)
- I got him a mouse pad with a funny picture our dog...it''s a close up of his face and he just looks so funny!
- An now I will get him that leather book!
36.gif

I still want more ideas for little fun things...

Great thread Dixie!!!!!

M~
M -

I do have the green one, it''s a lot smaller than I thought -duh- should have looked at the measurements online.
Oh well, it''s still a nice little book.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH''s favorite holiday is Christmas, so the year we met I started him a collection of sports themed ornaments and garlands so one day we could do a "sports" tree for him to enjoy...every Christmas I add more, and since I started 4 Christmas ago he has a pretty good collection going. Also, he''s always complaining about needing this or that for his wardrobe, so I like to get him nice clothes he wouldn''t ordinarily go out and buy for himself.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we just came to a consensus on what to do for our first christmas as man and wife.

He hates shopping for me, as I never want anything. I hate shopping period, so it''s hard for me to go out and get things.

Last year, he didn''t have to work the week between Christmas and New Year and it seems he will get that week off this year again. So we decided to take the money we would spend on gifts and go for a 3 day mini getaway. I just booked a little B&B in Santa Barbara and we''ll go wine tasting! We decided to make the holiday mini-trip an annual thing.

I think it''s a great use of our gift giving funds as it''s so nice to rejuvenate that passion from time to time.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results