shape
carat
color
clarity

What advice would you give your younger self, if you could?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you could send a note back in time to a point in your life... what would it say?

Me: I'd send my 18 year old self a note that said:

" Drop, G (she's not your friend), Drop R (you are in an emotionally abusive relationship), do NOT give in to family pressure about lawschool, finish getting your BA and go to culinary school." Then I'd give myself precise instructions on where to be to meet John again, but also give myself the advice to get him to go to culinary school. Oh, and for both of us to take some basic finance courses.

Oh, and I'd tell myself to buy some stock in Yahoo, Microsoft, and Google.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Have a blast. You turned out OK."
3.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go to a state school. You''ll be more challenged, have more fun, and be $50K less in debt.

Stay far far away from ex. He may be good looking but he''s TERRIBLE in bed and he''s PSYCHO!!!

Be patient with now FI. He may not be your typical guy looks-wise and he may have some relationship baggage but unlike ex, he''s GREAT in bed,not psycho, funny, and he''ll tolerate all of your faults and issues instead of judging them.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Save a bit more before returning to college.
Don''t eat so much rubbish first time round in college and you wouldn''t have any weight to lose now
3.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
~Don''t go to a private university when there is a public one just 15 minutes away.
~Save your money
~When you lose all of your weight, don''t get un-motivated and gain it all back.
~Don''t watch The Exorcist just cause your boyfriend thinks it''ll be romantic to cuddle together while watching it.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Let it go - all of it."

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Save money

Don''t get credit cards or student loans

Don''t get so attached to boyfriends/guys you date because there''s someone awesome out there for you.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
"Dear M,

Please learn to say F' IT! If you feel like someone is taking advantage of you, they are. I would explain to myself, what a real friendship is supposed to be, and to not settle for anything less. Stnd up for yourself or walk away and never look back. Just don't put up with it again.
Save some of that money that your parents and the school are giving you, and stop shopping for clothes you won't wear past graduation.
Lastly, I'd tell myself not to worry about the guy you had a huge crush on, dating another girl now, because he'll be back later in life and will have realized what he missed
2.gif
"

I really wish I had learned to say F' IT alot earlier in life.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stop worrying so much what people think.

Don't smoke that Shelley! It will make you swallow your tongue!

Being in an abusive relationship is not better than being on your own.

Put the cake down.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
go to college instead of pool halls and gambling joints.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 3:41:56 PM
Author: Maisie

Stop worrying so much what people think.

Don''t smoke that Shelley! It will make you swallow your tongue!

Being in an abusive relationship is not better than being on your own.

Put the cake down.

Ah yes, the ever important, sage wisdom we all need to hear...."PUT THE CAKE DOWN!!"

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Watch the credit card debt.
Ask for help when you need it.
And when you feel like your job is starting to suck, it already does, find a new one and move on.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Don't let other pople's criticisms bother you.

Don't be afraid to take risks!!! To this day I always worry about the ending and never enjoy the adventure of getting to the end.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
Don''t feel pressured to go to your dream college just because it may sound luxurious. You can go to a community college for a couple years to save money and get the core classes out of the way. It''s OK to go the non-traditional way. When in school, cherish the memories, and keep in touch with those friends; you''ll miss them once they are gone.

Oh, and don''t sign up for stupid CC''s to get a free t-shirt!
29.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Don''t go to law school.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Take more pictures, not just when you''re in an exciting place, but when you''re with your favorite people, too.

And don''t change your major so many times! You started out with the right one.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
to Miscka, age 18:

-Be your own best friend. It will save you so much pain.
-Don''t get a credit card
-Don''t be afraid to go and do whatever you want
-Never drink cheap vodka
3.gif

-Go to art school and be what you want. Its easier than going back later and starting over!
-Your Mom is your friend, not your enemy. Listen to her.
-I know you just got your heart broken by a cheater, but learn to trust again. Don''t push people away.
-PUT DOWN THAT CAKE! Eating doesn''t actually make you feel better.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Dear 17-Year-Old KB,

- Get knee surgery while you still have time and tons of support to recuperate. Then, go back to gymnastics and have the stellar season you always hoped for.

- Dump that lazy, mooch-y, unsuitable boyfriend you''ll have in college and date more.

- Don''t rush to finish college in three years (you have a tuition waiver for four years, silly!). Study abroad for another semester. Learn another language and take more dance classes while it''s free.

- Think long and hard about what you want to do and whether you really want to be a lawyer before packing your bags for law school. Don''t just do it because you have no idea what else you might do.

- Pluck your eyebrows. Your face will look totally different (better!) when you do.

- Have fun!

Love,

Me

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Beachrunner- I once signed up for a CC because I was walking home from class and I was starving and they were giving away free M&M''s if you signed up!
11.gif

Interesting how many people would say don''t go to law school!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:14:07 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Beachrunner- I once signed up for a CC because I was walking home from class and I was starving and they were giving away free M&M''s if you signed up!
11.gif

Interesting how many people would say don''t go to law school!
My brother had about 8 credit cards because of the free pizza. And then he calls me freaking out that he''s in debt. I told him he had to activate it and use it in order for him to be in debt LOL

I ditto all of the don''t sign up for credit cards advice!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do what YOU want and not what others want you to do. Don''t worry about what they think. Go see the world before you settle down. There are LOTS of fish in the Ocean, go fish more before you get married. Life is short, have some fun.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Just because you are engaged does not mean you need get married. Don''t ignore red flags during an enagement. If there are anger issues on his part during the engagement, they will get WORSE after marriage, not better. In other words, walk away and don''t get married to that person. I have such huge regrets on not following my gut instinct and ignoring red flags. I see lots of engagaged or LIW complain about their boyfriends and fiancees and sometimes I just want to scream through my computer "Run run run and don''t marry that person".

On a lighter note, I wish I could go back and smack my size 6 self who would look in the mirror and complain she was FAT!!!! Ahhh, I would love to be a size 6 now!!!

I am one of those who went to a state school and never regretted it at all. And I will totally encourage my kids to go to state schools. I have enough in college funds to pay for state schools and if they choose that route I can pay for them. If they choose private schools they will have to take out loans for the difference and I hope they won''t go that route. I felt I got a great education.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
1. Steal him away from her, because you''re going to end up marrying him in the long run anyway. Might as well do it sooner and save both of you the heartache of the a$$holes.

2. PRETEND CREDIT DOESN''T EXIST.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who cares what other people think. Probably would have told myself this at 18. eta: I like Miscka's about being your own friend too.

All things usually have a way of working themselves out.
2.gif

Save money in the bank not just only putting it in investments.

The perfect guy is out there for you.

actually I wouldn't do too many things differently; I think I learned from many of my mistakes.
5.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
To 17 year old Vesper:

1. Work harder in college - quit coasting. There''s more to life than partying.

2. Don''t cheat on C. After he leaves, you''ll always remember him as the one who got away, and wonder "what if."

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
- Choose the career path that allows you embrace your passion and do what you love, not the path that everyone else wants you to follow.

- Understand that sometimes people critque because they love.

- Realize that thinking "outside of the box" is a great asset to have as an adult.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dear Eighteen Year Old Deco,

* Your parents aren''t going to die leaving you to raise your five siblings by yourself ... so stop stressing.
* Just say no to home perms ... and, really, ALL perms.
* Those shy guys who stammer & blush when they''re talking to you -- are trying to pick you up, DUMMY!
* A little booze won''t kill you.
* No one likes a sanctimonious know-it-all ... cut that out.
* It won''t be WHAT you know that counts ... but WHO you know .. so get out of your head & start a'' socializin''
* Pleated pants aren''t flattering.
* One day you''ll have a dog as special as Misty was.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you guys really change all these things? Don''t you think it made you all into the amazing women you are today?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:49:44 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Would you guys really change all these things? Don''t you think it made you all into the amazing women you are today?
Here''s the thing ... I know I wouldn''t have *listened* to most of that advice anyway.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results