shape
carat
color
clarity

WF made my mum a pressie - a 2.25ct OEC five-stone!!

Mynah*Bird

Rough_Rock
What a BEAUTIFUL and thoughtful gift!! The engraving is such a wonderful compliment to the stones!!! I love anything that is a special touch that is sort of secretive and only seen by the wearer. :)

What a lucky Mum! :)

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I love the engraving on the prongs and the dual metal colors :love:

fridays_child

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely ring, and a wonderful present!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wonderful ring and gift!

cheerr--Sharon

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Hope your mom enjoys it!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's just beautiful, what a thoughtful and wonderful gift!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
The ring is gorgeous! Definitely makes a unique look for a 5 stone and I love the antiquing.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
SO BEAUTIFUL. What a lucky mum you have! I'm swooning over this 5 stone. :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome! What was the occassion? Was it a special birthday? She was blessed with you for a daughter- very thoughtful that you put so much effort into a spectacular and meaningful gift for her!

A very special tribute - congratulations to you, Yssie, for all the effort you put in to this. You designed a gorgeous ring! I love the detailed engraving/millegrain on the side of the prongs.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty. The two tone and the elegant simplicity of the design make it a very versatile ring.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Man oh man, that's gorgeous!! :love: Love the engraving, I've never seen anything like it...What a fantastic job you did putting this ring together yssie, it's beautiful and you are such a thoughtful and generous daughter!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
Yessie your mom is so lucky to have you-- It's gorgeous, like everyone else I love the engraving too. I think this is going to be jewel of the week!

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
The ring is so pretty~!!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
LOVE it!!! Want to get me one... Such an awesome gift!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for the late responses - it's been a madhouse here!

June - Thank you, I'll definitely get some closeups next time!! It's actually a pretty deep engraving, and since it's gold and there's no super-delicate milgrain or anything to worry about wearing off anytime soon I sent her home with a baby toothbrush and instructions to clean once a week, we shall see ::)

Thank you lknvrb, Amy, Effe!

MGR - I know, isn't it?! My fivestones doesn't have nearly the same BLINGAGE and I am just a bit jealous :Up_to_something: putting the stones girdle to girdle instead of tucking them under makes *such* an impact!

Well, to be honest though, I'm glad that it looks so totally different from my ring. I worried that they would look too similar - if it would look like I'd just made her a "baby version" of mine or something - but they really are completely different species.

Thank you Farley! I definitely think we made the right choice with the four prongs! They're OECs and they're all a bit wonky in shape, and the four prongs on each really even everything out.

yenny - I've been dithering over all of this for over a year now, and I've learnt my lesson: prices only go up so if you want something get it *now*! :devil:

Thanks BI! I know you have some lovelies of your own in the works :bigsmile:

Thank you missy! My mum has a ton of family jewellery but I know that only a few pieces were bought specifically for her, and she had input in choosing the style of even fewer, and she's not the sort to buy for herself, so doing all of this with her - the multitude of choices, the photos, the decisions - was new for both of us ::)

DS Thank you!! Your antique fivestone inspired a lot of the changes from the original drawing - the separate US for each stone, the square cutouts at the bottom instead of the circles (that yeah, you can't see at all, unlike on yours, but it was a mind-clean thing!)...

The engraving is my favourite part - I want engraving on my prongs too! I originally wanted melee b/c I think she likes the bling, but the prongs couldn't be made large enough without changing the whole look and ultimately she *is* hard on her hands so introducing tiny stones on the sides would've been asking for trouble.

A band with AVRs would be incredible :love: you avoid so many issues that way - size, colour, sufficiently high clarity that you are such a stickler for :cheeky: - damage, facet pattern matching, shape discontinuities... 'course, they're pricier! If I was going to do it over I would give just buying retail much much much more serious consideration than I did at the start of this project, finding the stones myself was definitely a giant headache! Or maybe just recruit Dreamer :bigsmile:

luv thank you! It took a little over a year? I took my time though - I wasn't in any hurry at first, and I think I just had unrealistic expectations of how perfectly antiques could be matched in terms of faceting. Then we started seeing those daily price jumps and I went on a bit of a buying frenzy! All told I think I bought and returned 9 stones/pairs to find the three mates for my old OEC earrings..

stargurl honestly, I can't either! I was SO excited and relieved when I found that last stone...

When do your jackets get in?? I really want to see how they work with the 8prongs :sun:

Monny, Laila, Trekkie, Skippy - Thank you!

onedrop The yellow/white was actually a big debate. She wanted a yellow shank and white head but didn't want platinum, my rep Sheerah advised against palladium in this case, and I didn't want plated white gold as I didn't want her to have to deal with re-plating... which left unplated wg. She's one of those who thinks anything under 22k isn't "real gold" so I definitely didn't want to go below 18k, I know the 18k nickel wg WF uses would be too creamy for her tastes, so palladium-wg was kinda the last man standing!

Thank you vin! If they were RBs the graduation would be much more pronounced - they're typical antiques, the center is a deeper OEC and the sides are shallower transitionals so they do face up w/ surprisingly slight graduation.

Mynah Thank you! You really can't see the engraving when she's wearing it - so it is kinda secretive, though I didn't mean it to be!

Thank you, Snickle, friday, Sharon, alene, mrssalvo, tigian, ihy, preg, Sandy, mitsui, burk!!

Enerchi, June Thank you, you are both so sweet ::) No real occasion, sorta late-50th-late-thank-you-for-college :cheeky:

I was unreasonably annoyed by the two tone requirement - the engraving really breaks it up into two totally separate elements though. The unplated palladium-wg is just *white*, too - I can't see pink like in my ring or grey like in yours Enerchi, I wonder if that's because it's right next to bright yellow 18k yg or if Pd-wg is just as much of a colour minefield as Ni-wg..?

Beautiful!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous, I love the prongs! Such a gift for your mom! :love:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful and beautiful gift for your mom. I hope she is as thrilled as we are! :)

Ganesha

Shiny_Rock
that profile is *such* a pretty detail on a very classic design. gorgeous gift!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, whatami, Christina, Lisa, and Ganesha ::)

She told me she was fighting the urge to put it away and "keep it safe" and has apparently been wearing it to work every day ::)

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
stargurl honestly, I can't either! I was SO excited and relieved when I found that last stone...

When do your jackets get in?? I really want to see how they work with the 8prongs :sun:

You know, I actually just got off the phone with Luann! She told me they would take about 2 weeks, which was last Wednesday, so I decided to follow-up today. She said they should be ready within the next few days for sure. I'll definitely post pics once I get them!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1333391283|3161814 said:
Yssie said:

You know, I actually just got off the phone with Luann! She told me they would take about 2 weeks, which was last Wednesday, so I decided to follow-up today. She said they should be ready within the next few days for sure. I'll definitely post pics once I get them!

:appl: :bigsmile:

Though maybe I'd be better off staying away from your pics, because I *know* what will happen!! :cheeky:

mimi72

Shiny_Rock
Yssie - very nice ring! I am so impressed by the thought you put into the details, based on your Mum's wish list. Nice!

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! This is such a beautiful ring, and how special that you and your Mom went through the design process together! Do you know what the dimensions of the stones are?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, I'd also love to know the diameter measurements of the stones. I love the slight graduation but knowing the diameters would help so much!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Love the facets on the stones. What a beautiful ring and an even more wonderful daughter. Kudos Yssie! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mimi - haha it'd have been SO much easier if she'd been opinionated! There were so many things I had to just step in and okay or veto because she wouldn't make a decision... I feel for guys designing their girlfriends' engagement rings, I really do! ::)

runner, DS - from the appraisals:

0.39 OEC 4.55-4.75mm
0.45 Transitional 4.7-4.88mm
0.53 OEC 5-5.3mm
0.47 Transitional 4.8-4.95mm
0.42 OEC 4.65-4.8mm

So there is actually quite a bit of variation. From just the numbers I probably wouldn't have put them together, but they looked very nice lined up loose, and setting all the stones N/S and using the four prongs to highlight the outline of each stone discretely totally overcomes the differences IRL!

Aww thank you sapphire!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks a lot, Yssie! I was trying to figure out how much difference there needs to be to just have slight graduation. My vintage 5 stone is like that but I wanted to see how much size difference there needed to be with larger stones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're thinking of AVRs, right DS? So you can set them however you darn well want and they'll be perfect - bonus of buying brand-new and branded :halo: Mine really did all need to be N/S specifically.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to do AVR's, but I have a problem with not being able to find 5 with the right specs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results