shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry folks, I have had to have some of my posts & photographs deleted. I had an email from Ella to say that somebody had been digging around & had actually been able able locate my new house on the Internet, complete with all the floor plans, and consequently had reported said information to Ella.

Who does that?? It's very disappointing :rolleyes:

I have also asked the Agent who sold the property to remove it from the Internet completely. Sad, but true.

I will be posting less info going forwards, to thwart any stalking activity. Apologies to everyone who was enjoying the updates.

I guess there aren't that many old vicarage for sale in the whole country, therefore, it would not be too difficult to track down.

Shame, however, it is a stark reminder of the perils of the modern digital world!

DK :confused2:

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so sorry that happened. On the other hand, it seems like whomever searched and then pointed it out was maybe trying to be helpful in warning you that this was possible? Surely if you'd left the identifying pictures and information up that could leave you and your loved ones vulnerable in the future? Regardless, I'm sorry you are shaken and I'm sad there won't be as many glorious photos. Hope you are enjoying your home!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ally T I’m also so sorry this happened..I think posting photos from inside the house should be fine..If not..I for one..would love to hear every detail! :kiss2:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Folks, the person who reported this to us did so because they were trying to be helpful to Ally in letting her know that the amount of information online was easy to track down. They reported it to us privately, so we could remove the photos and notify Ally. It was meant as a kind gesture so that no one nefarious would find this information and use it.

Please take this as the important lesson it is that it is easy to piece together locations and addresses from small amounts of information over time.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Folks, the person who reported this to us did so because they were trying to be helpful to Ally in letting her know that the amount of information online was easy to track down. They reported it to us privately, so we could remove the photos and notify Ally. It was meant as a kind gesture so that no one nefarious would find this information and use it.

Please take this as the important lesson it is that it is easy to piece together locations and addresses from small amounts of information over time.

Thanks Ella. We all really appreciate having you around =)2

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How are things going?? How is your DH feeling???

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

How are things going?? How is your DH feeling???

cheers--Sharon
Slowly! But we are progressing on the design front. We are waiting for the planning approval (they requested an ecology survey & heritage assessment, which have now both been completed) so we should have the all clear to start in 8 weeks. Technically the builders could start now as there's so much to be doing in the house, (kitchen extension, gym & garage block aside) but he wants to hit it in one go & not have to down tools half way through. They want to be digging foundations for the new bits straight away & building alongside the full renovation.

Last week we had a full CCTV survey done of the drains to check condition. They are all original, clear & stable, with the exception of 3 misaligned joints, an easy fix. BUT.....!! They discovered when they lifted the manhole cover you can see towards the wall inside the courtyard, THAT IT'S A WELL !!!!! Beyond excited! This gable wall is coming out for the ground floor kitchen extension, so we are now looking into having it preserved & illuminated, with a slab of circular glass over the top. What a cool feature in the floor that would be!!

ETA - The well has a direct pipe connection to the outbuilding where the water hand pump is.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_153012724~2.jpg
    PXL_20220714_153012724~2.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BIG WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, right?!!!! And when we started talking about preserving it at the meeting last week, our Interior Designer piped up that she has one exposed, illuminated & covered with a glass in her kitchen floor! Her place is older & was built in 1690, but she has invited us over on Sunday to have a look & discuss options. She is very much like me (only far classier!) in that she would like to fully modernise whilst keeping anything we can as a nod to it's past.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know, right?!!!! And when we started talking about preserving it at the meeting last week, our Interior Designer piped up that she has one exposed, illuminated & covered with a glass in her kitchen floor! Her place is older & was built in 1690, but she has invited us over on Sunday to have a look & discuss options. She is very much like me (only far classier!) in that she would like to fully modernise whilst keeping anything we can as a nod to it's past.

How wonderful!!!! And very cool!!!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your idea for the well. You can put a skeleton at the bottom and tell your friends and relatives that that is where you stash anyone who isn't on their best behavior when they visit :bigsmile:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Slowly! But we are progressing on the design front. We are waiting for the planning approval (they requested an ecology survey & heritage assessment, which have now both been completed) so we should have the all clear to start in 8 weeks. Technically the builders could start now as there's so much to be doing in the house, (kitchen extension, gym & garage block aside) but he wants to hit it in one go & not have to down tools half way through. They want to be digging foundations for the new bits straight away & building alongside the full renovation.

Last week we had a full CCTV survey done of the drains to check condition. They are all original, clear & stable, with the exception of 3 misaligned joints, an easy fix. BUT.....!! They discovered when they lifted the manhole cover you can see towards the wall inside the courtyard, THAT IT'S A WELL !!!!! Beyond excited! This gable wall is coming out for the ground floor kitchen extension, so we are now looking into having it preserved & illuminated, with a slab of circular glass over the top. What a cool feature in the floor that would be!!

ETA - The well has a direct pipe connection to the outbuilding where the water hand pump is.

can you drink the water ?
that would be so cool !

years ago a workmate lived way out in the country in a company house of her husbands work, Leigh stream on the way to Middlemarch, hubby was a spreader driver - applying fertilizer to farmer's paddocks

anyway anyway

they had this 3rd kitchen tap
i was the only one game enough to drink from it

sorry if ive already told that story :lol-2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it leads to the pump in the garden, perhaps you can use the old pump as a water feature element?!

Having a peek into the well in your kitchen floor is AWESOME!!!

The water pump is in a little building that is being pulled down. But we are having it carefully removed & sand blasted (it's thick with rust) so that we can definitely use it somewhere out in the garden as a feature.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you drink the water ?
that would be so cool !

years ago a workmate lived way out in the country in a company house of her husbands work, Leigh stream on the way to Middlemarch, hubby was a spreader driver - applying fertilizer to farmer's paddocks

anyway anyway

they had this 3rd kitchen tap
i was the only one game enough to drink from it

sorry if ive already told that story :lol-2:

You are welcome to come & drink from it! Me.... perhaps not!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are welcome to come & drink from it! Me.... perhaps not!
i would so take you up on that !

Gary's daughter had an old concrete water tank under the deck of her 1960s house - back in the day it used to be council regulations in Pararamumu to have a rainwater tank on a new build
- when Gary was building the new deck i was busy sampling the water ...

0dd6bc62ccc91535bdfd656e954d7991.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another fabulous installment of Allytown Abby!! That well is beyond cool and I love the idea of preserving it and making it a feature. Wow!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HALLO LADY!

Any updates you'd care to share? I hope things are smooth sailing!

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HALLO LADY!

Any updates you'd care to share? I hope things are smooth sailing!

cheers--Sharon

Evening, Sharon!

We've been tapping our fingers for a while whilst waiting for planning approval from the local Council on the extension, balcony & garage / gym block, and finally, FINALLY, the builders are starting this week. Hooray!

We're still over there every couple of days to collect post & keep on top of the gardens, but tbh it has started to feel a little boring that nothing has been going on. I expect by the end of tomorrow the old girl will be covered with scaffolding & perimeter fences will be erected. And I cannot bloody wait! Hurry up already!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening, Sharon!

We've been tapping our fingers for a while whilst waiting for planning approval from the local Council on the extension, balcony & garage / gym block, and finally, FINALLY, the builders are starting this week. Hooray!

We're still over there every couple of days to collect post & keep on top of the gardens, but tbh it has started to feel a little boring that nothing has been going on. I expect by the end of tomorrow the old girl will be covered with scaffolding & perimeter fences will be erected. And I cannot bloody wait! Hurry up already!

The hurry up to wait must have been frustrating! Glad it is a big GO!!!! Very exciting!!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The hurry up to wait must have been frustrating! Glad it is a big GO!!!! Very exciting!!

Beyond exciting! Although the escalating costs are absolutely NOT. But we will all be really happy to finally see some action & changes. We've fully photographed her inside & out, so that when she's done we can re-photograph & document everything in a book. And the book will stay with the house, regardless of how many years we call her home, which will hopefully be a very long time given she's our dream.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beyond exciting! Although the escalating costs are absolutely NOT. But we will all be really happy to finally see some action & changes. We've fully photographed her inside & out, so that when she's done we can re-photograph & document everything in a book. And the book will stay with the house, regardless of how many years we call her home, which will hopefully be a very long time given she's our dream.

Sorry about the sticker shocks---but I am not surprised. I think we've only done ONE reno that came in under budget. It is always more than expected. But you'll have a treasure. And documenting this is the best idea!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OH and I bought some of this for Thanksgiving...hope it is good!

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

OH and I bought some of this for Thanksgiving...hope it is good!

cheers--Sharon

Yummy! I'm sure it will be delicious!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point, I'll settle for photos of the scaffolding.

Seriously tho - you must be SO excited! I'm so pleased to hear you're making progress. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results