shape
carat
color
clarity

We've Bought an Historical Old Vicarage!

Ally66

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Ally T, just chiming in to say I am so excited for you and your family, and I am loving this thread! It's like a gift that keeps on giving and I am so glad we get to go on this journey with you! Thanks so much for sharing your story.

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
Our purchase completed today! We still can't believe, after ALL these months, that finally she is ours & we have the Title Deeds & all the keys :kiss2: The girls were running wild, but I did manage to take a picture of the safe in the midst of mayhem. The parquet flooring in here has never bizarrely been varnished & is just bare dusty oak blocks.

View attachment 890341

PXL_20220531_152743827~2.jpg

Congratulations on final ownership!!!! Even your antique safe is attractive. May you and your family will spend many, many happy years in the Olde Vicarage!
1654096910212.gif

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to catch up on this thread but I saw this update as I skimmed through and just had to pop in to say a huge CONGRATULATIONS Ally!!!! Your hopes and your faith has come through, this beautiful home (and god, it IS beautiful!!) was fated to be yours ❤️

I’ll be back after work to catch up on all the planning deets!!!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! And now the fun begins...

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Just caught up with this!!! So thrilled for you @Ally T :appl::appl::appl:The photo of the whole house is just stunning. And what perfect timing, just in time for Jubilee weekend! Get yourself some of that weird lemon swiss roll trifle and sit in your beautiful grounds (on the haunted trunk obv :devil:)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ally T I‘m so excited for you and your family! It’s been so much fun to follow your journey! Thank you for sharing this with us!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DESIGN UPDATE - GARDENS

Mega project. Mega. Almost as mega as the house :lol:

To the front of the property, right along the boundary alongside the lane, are huge trees (protected) box hedges & rhododendrons. Like, a LOT of rhododendrons. A wall. This will all be left alone. The pedestrian gate will remain, which is directly across the lane from the gate into the Church. I will perch here to watch weddings & can't wait! It's a lovely gate & I wish it could tell me all the things it's overheard as people through time have perched on her. The main gates need widening as they are narrow & we can barely get our cars through. Then the rickety farmers type gate will be removed & replaced by solid electric gates.

To the left of the house there are huge trees & that area of garden is quite dark. So we are planning this area to be my New Zealand garden in homage of my years living there. We will have a large pond put in (utilising the hand pump from the courtyard) & plant lots of variety of ferns & moss.

To the right of the house will be the new garage block, housing 3 cars & a gym. The driveway will be gravel & the planting carefully thought out.

Across the back, the formal lawns will stay as they are. We will be building a huge patio area across the back of the house & an outdoor kitchen off to the side of the new kitchen extension. Mr T wants a sunken firepit out there & the girls want a huge trampoline & a summer house.

To the back right is where the over grown chicken coops & kitchen garden is. It's a mess. There will be a beautiful new Edwardian glass house, new chicken coops & raised planters. This will be Mr T's sanctuary away from work. He's grown vegetables & fruit for years, slowly over time removing more & more shrubs to make space, so to have a large dedicated & well planned area is the icing on the cake for him.

I am living for this thread right now ❤️

Can you share a photo of the wall? It sounds so picturesque. I'm envisioning women in Victorian dresses perching on it with books :love: I saw this photo a few months ago I think, when it was doing the IG rounds - everything about this picture is just hauntingly beautiful. I guess I've got a Thing for old walls. What can I say. :love:

Do you have pets or farm animals Ally? Or will you? Sounds like chickens at least? Are there any regulations about what you can and can't have on this protected property? I ask this as I watch two of my cats have second lunch at the potted basil on the kitchen counter :lol:

I didn't know you were in NZ! I guess I've missed some posts!! Whereabouts were you? We were in Wellington in the early 90s and Auckland in the late 90s. So I totally *get* why you're taking the darker area of the garden for your NZ garden... And the ponds and the ferns and moss. Add a feijoa tree that's got no sense of personal space and it'll be just like old home :bigsmile: I'm especially looking forward to seeing this part of the garden!

But I'm losing track now - where's the orangery? That opens to the outdoor kitchen right?

I love how carefully everything's being thought out - and I'm impressed by how specific your plans are! You and your family have such clear vision for how you want the place to end up :love: And how SWEET that Mr. T. Was just waiting for the right moment to give you your forever ring!! This is a modern fairytale :love:

Attachments

• IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone - you are the best & I'm glad your enjoying coming along for the ride! @yssie You can just see the stone wall either side of the gate here, but will take a pic from the lane tomorrow.

We had some heavy duty garden equipment delivered today, as the whole property has hedges all around the boundary that were tall & out of hand, plus areas around some edges where you couldn't even get near, as the nettles were 20 feet deep! I kid you not! All underneath the trees has just been left & not tended to, so it's wild under there. We've got even MORE garden than we thought! I have used the extra long hedge cutters to do all across the front that borders the lane & make it look pretty. My youngest daughter, bless her, sweeped the entire path & road to clear up after me, which was no mean feet - it's a LONG hedge! Our eldest has been constantly weeding. Mr T has done 21,000 steps. None of us can move & I'm not sure how I'll get my wine up to my face shortly. Plus we are back for another whole day at it tomorrow.

This is the pedestrian gate, which was SO overgrown you couldn't get through & down the path. The gate wouldn't even open due to deep leaf debris. I've used the huge cutters on the shrubs & lopped branches from over head, then cleared the path, which curves all the way inwards towards the house. So now it's all accessible & I can peek at any bride's going into the church directly across the lane!

PXL_20220601_152252144~2.jpg

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can you share a photo of the wall? It sounds so picturesque. I'm envisioning women in Victorian dresses perching on it with books :love: I saw this photo a few months ago I think, when it was doing the IG rounds - everything about this picture is just hauntingly beautiful. I guess I've got a Thing for old walls. What can I say. :love:

Do you have pets or farm animals Ally? Or will you? Sounds like chickens at least? Are there any regulations about what you can and can't have on this protected property? I ask this as I watch two of my cats have second lunch at the potted basil on the kitchen counter :lol:

I didn't know you were in NZ! I guess I've missed some posts!! Whereabouts were you? We were in Wellington in the early 90s and Auckland in the late 90s. So I totally *get* why you're taking the darker area of the garden for your NZ garden... And the ponds and the ferns and moss. Add a feijoa tree that's got no sense of personal space and it'll be just like old home :bigsmile: I'm especially looking forward to seeing this part of the garden!

But I'm losing track now - where's the orangery? That opens to the outdoor kitchen right?

I love how carefully everything's being thought out - and I'm impressed by how specific your plans are! You and your family have such clear vision for how you want the place to end up :love: And how SWEET that Mr. T. Was just waiting for the right moment to give you your forever ring!! This is a modern fairytale :love:

We have 2 cats, one of which came from the farm here & is a genetic hunter, so she catches her own food. She will be LIVING THE DREAM when we move here! No farm animals, but there are chicken coops already round near the kitchen gardens, but again you can't get in as they are 4 feet high with nettles & brambles. We will definitely be getting a couple of chickens.

I lived in Wellington! I was there for 3 years in the early 00's & I miss the place very much. It has my heart.

We are readdressing the Orangery option, as we don't think we'll need it. The room it was going on has floor to ceiling windows, so it's incredibly light already & we certainly don't need the extra room!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@Ally T Such HUGE big congrats to you!!! Your family photo is so amazing—it's a ray of heavenly Light beaming onto your family and the house. What a wonderful "sign" of great things to unfold for all of you!

YAY!, to the chickens! And your garden gate reminds me of the book, The Secret Garden, which was a fave of mine as a child.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry folks, I have had to have some of my posts & photographs deleted. I had an email from Ella to say that somebody had been digging around & had actually been able able locate my new house on the Internet, complete with all the floor plans, and consequently had reported said information to Ella.

Who does that?? It's very disappointing :rolleyes:

I have also asked the Agent who sold the property to remove it from the Internet completely. Sad, but true.

I will be posting less info going forwards, to thwart any stalking activity. Apologies to everyone who was enjoying the updates.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
What?! Oh no! That's ah, that's a bit weird.
I'm so sorry, and I can safely say @Ally T that we all want you and yours safe. I completely understand.
We'll share in your joy going forward in any way you feel comfortable with.

kah42

Shiny_Rock
First of all, CONGRATS on the new house! I love hearing about your plans and the updates. You speak so lovingly of the house and its history, I totally agree that your family was the perfect choice for the church.

As for your recent news...that's scary and very weird. I totally understand if you cut back on some of the details going forward, but I look forward to hearing about what you are comfortable sharing.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The trolling Is troubling. That is why I do not post pics of anything or give away my location or occupation. But looking forward to hearing about your progress and some photos. It is like watching the renovation programs. Take your time when making decisions and keep the trades happy …sometimes a little beer at the end of a long hard, hot summer day is appreciated too.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if a nosey-Nelly from PS could find not only your place but also a floor plan... :???: :cry:Uhm, WTH?! Better, by far, to be safe and remove identifying information, photos, etc. Although it's disappointing for those of us who are in love with your wonderful project, I would think everyone would prefer you to safeguard yourself and your sweet family—and the chickens, when they arrive. :)

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I would say, that if they told Ella that they were able to find this info (scary what is available on the internet tho) that they were likely not up to anything nefarious. But you never know about the next person, so best to be safe.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Eww
What is it with fijjoas ???
Those things taste like perfume :lol-2:

Ive read its a genetic thing
Like how people like me hate coriander
When i order Thai
no carrot, no coriander :lol-2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
99Sorry folks, I have had to have some of my posts & photographs deleted. I had an email from Ella to say that somebody had been digging around & had actually been able able locate my new house on the Internet, complete with all the floor plans, and consequently had reported said information to Ella.

Who does that?? It's very disappointing :rolleyes:

I have also asked the Agent who sold the property to remove it from the Internet completely. Sad, but true.

I will be posting less info going forwards, to thwart any stalking activity. Apologies to everyone who was enjoying the updates.

OMG
what the hell ?
I just don't get it

Im so sorry that this is making you (and the rest of us) feel uneasy
This is first and foremost your family home

All you were innocently doing (i thought) was shearing your enthusiasm and joy with your internet friends
I also thought thinking back on the thread you had been careful about not giving away the location

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh. Ugh. I’m sorry. I forgot there’s a world full of whackadoos out there. This thread is… Well, easy to forget that in the fairytale, I guess. @Ally T you do what you’re most comfy with, including leave the rest of it to our imaginations if that’s what you feel safest doing. I’m really sorry though. Even if whoever it was had no malicious intent it still does feel like a violation.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eww
What is it with fijjoas ???
Those things taste like perfume :lol-2:

Ive read its a genetic thing
Like how people like me hate coriander
When i order Thai
no carrot, no coriander :lol-2:

I’m so sorry for you… Life is better with coriander ::) :lol:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very sad for all of us. First thread to come along in a long time that generated anticipation, joy and excitement.
I'm sorry @Ally T. It's a reminder that privacy is an illusion and that safety precautions are necessary for nearly everything we do in public and private venues. We just can't have nice things anymore.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry people have intruded on your personal space. You deserve better than this level of busybody.

Your story is so fascinating. Thank you for sharing what you can The pictures are charming.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ally T I just had a thought. If you decide to not delete this thread, maybe you’d consider asking the mods to have it moved to the GTG subforum? That’s visible only to logged in members, I know it’s not foolproof but it at least prevents the public internet from seeing anything?

The more I think about this the more creeped out I am.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just a thought
But maybe all of hangout should be member only ?

On my Springsteen community we have a forum just for random chat just like Hang out and its member only

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought
But maybe all of hangout should be member only ?

On my Springsteen community we have a forum just for random chat just like Hang out and its member only
Member only at x posts or x time after joining would be great. For security sake.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Aww, I just discovered this thread the other day and I’ve been loving it! Congratulations on your new home. I hope that we can continue to see updates but you have to do whatever you need to do to stay safe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results