shape
carat
color
clarity

We''re honeymooning in the Maldives.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have. The Paris reception has been scrapped in favour of a NY one. However, I am going on a QE2 cruise around the Mediterranean this summer, and will make a stop in Paris. The pastries!

Please keep me posted as to the Maldives.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How lovely! And yummy!
18.gif

and I will.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you heard anything about the QE2?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 10:20:05 PM
Author: Harriet
You have. The Paris reception has been scrapped in favour of a NY one. However, I am going on a QE2 cruise around the Mediterranean this summer, and will make a stop in Paris. The pastries!

Please keep me posted as to the Maldives.
Oh what changes! I have not been on. Traveling for work, and still intermitten. Good luck and my friend sailed the QE2 and could not stop raving. That thing is a beast of a boat! But elegantly appointed. You will have an amazing time. What ports in France will you hit? Please tell me the southern coastal tour will include Monaco and Nice...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The QE2 thingy is not part of my honeymoon, but a well-deserved vacation this summer. Yes, it will stop in Monaco and I''ll daytrip from there to Nice. I love the flower market there.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 10:48:00 PM
Have you heard anything about the QE2?
Hi Harriet. I haven't really posted much in this forum, but felt I should respond to your question about the QE2. By the way, hello to Nicrez, DF, lienTN, poptart, and all the other groupies!

I had looked into sending my mom and dad on the QE2, shortly after its maiden voyage, for one of those "milestone" birthdays because she was enamored with the idea of the QE2.

When I read the reviews at the time, many people said the cruise wasn't worth it. I read that the service was awful and the food was way below what you'd expect from the QE2.

Our friends from London took one of the first cruises. They said that the "class structure" on the ship stinks when you're in the basic class. The staff apparently treated them like "one of the herd". They felt very aware of not being in the top class, particularly when it came to the restaurants. If you are set on going, maybe you should book in one of the higher class cabins.

Needless to say, Mom snapped out of it and didn't want to subject herself to that kind of treatment. Maybe things have changed and the QE2 has improved - this was a few years ago. Have you been on a cruise before Harriet?

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 10:01:53 PM
Author: poptart
oooh... look at all the fishies under our feet!
I would be sooooooooooo scared to step on that - for fear it would break under my feet - lol...
But I do loooooooove to swim - giggle :}

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Starryeyed,

Thanks for the input. Are you thinking of the QM? The QE2''s maiden voyage was in 1969! No, I''ve never been on a cruise. Have you? If so, please say more.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks -- combing through it now.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, cruises can be lovely. However, for me, I suffer from claustrophobia and need a large suite or else I cannot be in the room. I have serious issues with being in a small cabin and going to sleep. I have only been on a couple of ships and luckily had nice sized rooms, but some are literally closets. Some of the smaller more high end ships like the Sea Goddess,SeaBourne, Crystal Harmony and the like are great. It is all about service, cuisine, amenities on board and the ports of call. I know people who love to go on cruises, and some who hate them, so it really just depends. We had one trip in the French and Italian Riviera, so we made the cruise a part of the trip mid way through, and stay in hotels on land before and after the cruise. Cruises today have great entertainment and spas and great water sports, so it really depends on how active you want to be on board. I tend not to like those huge ships with thousands on board, I just do not like traveling that way.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe I should try a shorter voyage first. I''d like to be inert onboard, and the idea of thousands of active fellow passengers scares me too.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would seriously do my homework if I were you. I would focus on smaller more intimate ships, there are some that also sail under mast as well, and are much less of a floating city. I abhor being on a ship with literally 3000 or so people, it is insane to me, and not fun. While many ships are that large, there are many that are of a totally different scale and you would have a very different trip. The other issue is, maybe a cruise is not the right environment, rather, go to one fabulous place, for instance, rent a villa in hills above Tuscany with a pool and bring some great books and sunscreen, and plan to laze around and go into town when you want...you can have someone cook amazing meals...this might be better than a ship which is mostly about activities and events.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2007 5:31:19 PM
Hi Starryeyed,
Thanks for the input. Are you thinking of the QM? The QE2''s maiden voyage was in 1969! No, I''ve never been on a cruise. Have you? If so, please say more.
You know what Harriet, I think you''re right. I get those ships confused. Sorry about that! However if the QE2 has a class structure, you may want to think about it and what class you book.

So I take it that this would be your first cruise?

I''m with DF - couped up on a floating hotel with 3000 strangers, or even 1000 strangers is not my idea of fun. I did a cruise with 1500 people once with a girlfriend. I think they are good if you really like to eat or if you want to take a family vacation, with grandparents as well as children. I found that you don''t have enough time ashore to really appreciate the different ports-of-call.

Last time I went to Nice, I chartered a sailboat and visited the different ports along the French Riviera. That was a really nice way to travel because you can develop your own itinerary. I captained the boat myself, but you can certainly hire a captain. There are many different charter options, at all different price points. You can spend $2500 or $100K or more for a week.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starry, that is a great plan. We have looked into those charters with crew for just our immediate family, the only issue I have is I do not like to feel the movement in a smaller vessel, I am a bit boat sickness prone and a tad fearful of the rougher sea. But I know people who do love it. However, that can be a bit less relaxing, depending where you put into port and how often, but nonetheless it is a great idea. I have seen amazing vessels in St. Barth''s, Little Dix. and Cote D''Azur...worth looking into. Those huge ships filled with thousands make me cringe, it is not a great romantic trip or a relaxing one, but a great trip for large family get togethers for sure.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Oh DF, that stinks that you get motion sick on boats! I usually advise my guests to take Dramamine, not drink alcohol, and stay away from fatty/greasy foods including butter. After a day or so on the water, everyone is usually fine. But if you''re super-sensitive, sounds like the farmhouse in Tuscany is a MUCH better plan!

I find boating very relaxing because you really get away from it all. There''s something about seeing land off in the distance - it definitely puts things in perspective! I''ve had to call in advance to get a slip reservation during the busy season. It can be stressful if you are unfamiliar with the port and its facilities/protocol. That''s where having a local captain helps for sure. It also stinks if the port is busy and your favorite restaurant is booked. But that''s not even an option on a cruise ship where you have to be back on board for dinner!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a planner and organizer...so I would have a captain and crew and make sure to make all the arrangements in advance, but would need a larger boat and some assurances that the seas are not as rough when I am sailing. Anytime I go on ships and they are rocking around I get very nervous. I am just not the greatest traveler. Just my family or maybe with another couple, on a lovely large boat with full crew and calm seas and great ports, that I could do. But, I am not a sea faring type of person, so for me, it would have to be perfect or else I would be a nervous wreck! My motion sickness is more out of fear than anything else, and I cannot relax...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF, Starryeyed, Kaleigh,
i''ve done my due diligence and concluded that the QE2 is not for me. A charter will be the way to go in a few years. So, this summer, we''re going to the Maldives instead.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you going to there on your honeymoon too? I might go to Italy or something and save the Maldives for your honeymoon so it is unique to you when you arrive...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can''t wait -- there''s always the South Pacific!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Up to you, but I would want my honeymoon locale to be somewhere special we had not gone to before...so just make sure you have a plan for August of 2008 that you like as well!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Oh, DF, if we could only control the weather! I''ve been sailing on a 50 ft Swan when the seas are so big that down in the trough of a wave you can''t see anything around you. There''s something very humbling about seeing a wave behind the boat more than 10 feet above your head! 50 feet feels small at that point!

Harriet, I''m kinda glad you have changed your mind about the QE2. I think that would be a good thing to do as a family trip, with your future children and extended family. Although there are compromises (like the oodles of people), everyone can be together on a vacation. There are so many other things you can do that would probably be far more relaxing and romantic.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starry, with age I have become less adventurous for sure. I love being places but hate getting there if that makes sense. We went on a private boat in Little Dix in December, a 60 foot fishing boat, and the swells were only two to three feet and I made them turn around, I could not take the bobbing and was freaking out. My hubby and the captain were teasing me, this was the calm time of year and hubby has been out in much worse, but I DID NOT CARE. Being afraid takes out all the fun...

PS...who are groupies here and why? just curious...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 11:33:03 PM
Author: diamondfan
Oh DF, I totally know what you mean. My mom is the same way about travel. I''ve taken people out sailing who, on a calm day, were white-knuckled and slightly blue in the face because they were scared of being at the mercy of mother nature. It''s understandable - I learned to respect mother nature really quickly!

I said "groupies" because it seems as though there are a handfull of people who always respond to Harriet''s posts, me being one of them. I see you a lot too, so just thought I''d say hi!
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 7:09:48 PM
Up to you, but I would want my honeymoon locale to be somewhere special we had not gone to before...so just make sure you have a plan for August of 2008 that you like as well!
The St. Regis Bora Bora looks lovely.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 11:27:42 PM
Author: starryeyed
Oh, DF, if we could only control the weather! I''ve been sailing on a 50 ft Swan when the seas are so big that down in the trough of a wave you can''t see anything around you. There''s something very humbling about seeing a wave behind the boat more than 10 feet above your head! 50 feet feels small at that point!

Harriet, I''m kinda glad you have changed your mind about the QE2. I think that would be a good thing to do as a family trip, with your future children and extended family. Although there are compromises (like the oodles of people), everyone can be together on a vacation. There are so many other things you can do that would probably be far more relaxing and romantic.
Starreyed,
We''re going to wait for the QM2 and QV -- newer ships.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starry, with age I have become less adventurous for sure. I love being places but hate getting there if that makes sense. We went on a private boat in Little Dix in December, a 60 foot fishing boat, and the swells were only two to three feet and I made them turn around, I could not take the bobbing and was freaking out. My hubby and the captain were teasing me, this was the calm time of year and hubby has been out in much worse, but I DID NOT CARE. Being afraid takes out all the fun...

DF, what did you think of Little Dix?

P.S. "With age?" Come on!
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 8:58:40 AM
Author: starryeyed

Oh DF, I totally know what you mean. My mom is the same way about travel. I''ve taken people out sailing who, on a calm day, were white-knuckled and slightly blue in the face because they were scared of being at the mercy of mother nature. It''s understandable - I learned to respect mother nature really quickly!

I said ''groupies'' because it seems as though there are a handfull of people who always respond to Harriet''s posts, me being one of them. I see you a lot too, so just thought I''d say hi!
1.gif
Starryeyed,

How kind of you to say that little ''ole me has groupies.
1.gif

Can I come sailing with you? I can''t swim, but I don''t get sea-sick.
17.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 12:48:41 PM
Can I come sailing with you? I can''t swim, but I don''t get sea-sick.
17.gif
Harriet, you were thinking of a cruise and the Maldives and you can''t SWIM????
6.gif

Harriet, it would be my advice to you to put learning to swim at the TOP of your list of things to do! Afterall, you want to be able to go snorkeling with all the gorgeous tropical fish. It would be a waste to spend all that money to stay at the Maldives and be so short-changed on the experience.

Harriet, I couldn''t, in good conscience, take you sailing if you don''t know how to swim. If I lost you overboard somehow, I''d never forgive myself.
39.gif
Please take some lessons?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Little Dix was nice. The Bitter End and Biras Creek are nice, we stayed in homes on Little Dix above the resort. I did a post about it in December or Jan with photos. It is a Rock resort, lovely but a bit dated, I think they are doing a lot of renovating. We are going to Turks and Anguila the next two holidays in December, so I am not sure. I know people who love Joss Van Dyke...St. Barth''s is also great for couples, we liked it a lot.

I am older, not old for sure, but in my late teens and early 20''s I was much more adventurous and less fearful about travel and other issues. Especially since I had kids. Used to love roller coasters, flying, trying new things, NO MORE. Horrifying to me now.

I would learn to swim for sure. To go to all these water based areas and not be able to fully participate is a bummer in my view. That Tuscan villa with a staff and some good books sounds about right to me then. You can get to Florence and Milan for shopping and culture...the Amalfi Coast is also lovely as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results