shape
carat
color
clarity

Well Phooey!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
;)) true friend here:) I say go for the stuller b/c I think that you are exactly right, you need to experience something and live with it for a while to know if you like it...taping papercut outs to your finger only goes so far in determining if you like the proportions :cheeky:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, good! I want to be your friend, Dreamer! :bigsmile:

Seriously, I 100% agree with your strategy. I basically did the same thing..started out with inexpensive settings until I was ready for the handmade platinum setting. I can waste a little on gold settings, but it's another matter to change out designer platinum settings!

I like the Stuller setting and see nothing wrong with using that for your 3 stone. It's a great way to determine if you really want a 3 stone or will you decide to go back to a solitaire later. That does happen here from time to time! And there's nothing wrong with a Stuller setting. Millions of people get Stuller tiffany solitaires, and 99% of them don't consider them temp settings like we refer to them here! In fact, my original e-ring was in a setting like that for 30 years (and actually it still is, although I don't wear it!). So I really support this idea over spending $2000 and then possibly deciding to reset later. I just don't see doing that until one is pretty sure they are ready to commit to a long term setting, or else they have an unlimited money supply!

If it was for me, I might ask if the jeweler can slightly round the edges on the shank a little. That would be the only thing that occurs to me to try refine it just a bit.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK, well if you have realized you need to try things out before committing...then I think the stuller 3-stone is a good idea. Plus, it isn't an ugly setting! Would you get rose gold? Also, did you see the color of the rose gold in person?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, of course you know me, better to try the three stone "temp" semi perm until you know yourself for sure 8) if you still long for the solitaire or content with a three stone, and you are a very patient woman indeed ::) I'm excited to see this come to fruition soon :appl:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
If your current set up is preventing your stud/sidestone diamonds from being worn and enjoyed then I agree the stuller setting makes sense. I just wanted to throw it out there. I have also had decent luck reselling used settings I no longer wanted.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I say give the Stuller a try. When I was talking to Marie at GOG, I told her I wanted the cheapest setting she could put my pear in and that it would be a temp setting. Well, I got my $400 Stuller setting and I am pleased with it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1305605806|2923715 said:
;)) true friend here:) I say go for the stuller b/c I think that you are exactly right, you need to experience something and live with it for a while to know if you like it...taping papercut outs to your finger only goes so far in determining if you like the proportions :cheeky:

haha, yes you are a good friend bella! And enabeler ::) I know you like basket settings. And you are right, the paper cut outs are not cutting it anymore!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1305606003|2923717 said:
Oh, good! I want to be your friend, Dreamer! :bigsmile:

Seriously, I 100% agree with your strategy. I basically did the same thing..started out with inexpensive settings until I was ready for the handmade platinum setting. I can waste a little on gold settings, but it's another matter to change out designer platinum settings!

I like the Stuller setting and see nothing wrong with using that for your 3 stone. It's a great way to determine if you really want a 3 stone or will you decide to go back to a solitaire later. That does happen here from time to time! And there's nothing wrong with a Stuller setting. Millions of people get Stuller tiffany solitaires, and 99% of them don't consider them temp settings like we refer to them here! In fact, my original e-ring was in a setting like that for 30 years (and actually it still is, although I don't wear it!). So I really support this idea over spending $2000 and then possibly deciding to reset later. I just don't see doing that until one is pretty sure they are ready to commit to a long term setting, or else they have an unlimited money supply!

If it was for me, I might ask if the jeweler can slightly round the edges on the shank a little. That would be the only thing that occurs to me to try refine it just a bit.

I have read some of your threads from when you were looking for a setting, DS. How many temps did you have? I thought I recalled one or two. How long did you end up having them?

It is interesting what you say about the whole "temp" thing and the stuller mounts. I think you are right that the majority of people have those types of mounts and love them! They last and are well made.

I hear you on the rounding. I have already asked about it and if I order it, I will print photos of prong work I like and shanks I like to see if they can get it as close as possible to the images. The only issue with changing the profil of the shank at all is finding a wb that matches exactly. I can wear my shared prong eternity with this mounting and I don't think there is very much of a gap, but it will eat the prongs and I am not sure how I feel about that. However, I may be getting a little something else too since this ring is so affordable, and that might solve this issue :Up_to_something:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1305606505|2923722 said:
OK, well if you have realized you need to try things out before committing...then I think the stuller 3-stone is a good idea. Plus, it isn't an ugly setting! Would you get rose gold? Also, did you see the color of the rose gold in person?

I think I am going to stick with white gold for this one. I think RG looks better in a more fluid design.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1305607693|2923733 said:
Dreamer, of course you know me, better to try the three stone "temp" semi perm until you know yourself for sure 8) if you still long for the solitaire or content with a three stone, and you are a very patient woman indeed ::) I'm excited to see this come to fruition soon :appl:

I am looking forward to it too! When I originally bought my first RB in early 2008, my fantasy that I *never* thought I would achieve was a three stone with a 1.7ct center. So it will be pretty cool to have that type of ring!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1305620497|2923779 said:
If your current set up is preventing your stud/sidestone diamonds from being worn and enjoyed then I agree the stuller setting makes sense. I just wanted to throw it out there. I have also had decent luck reselling used settings I no longer wanted.

Even simple stock mountings Kelpie? I have a pendant mounting and will soon have a solitaire and earring mountings, I was going to sell them for scrap because I don't think they are worth much, but perhaps I should look into other options?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lknvrb4|1305627602|2923797 said:
I say give the Stuller a try. When I was talking to Marie at GOG, I told her I wanted the cheapest setting she could put my pear in and that it would be a temp setting. Well, I got my $400 Stuller setting and I am pleased with it.

Your pear looks great in her new home! Glad to hear you are happy.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1305648499|2923961 said:

Even simple stock mountings Kelpie? I have a pendant mounting and will soon have a solitaire and earring mountings, I was going to sell them for scrap because I don't think they are worth much, but perhaps I should look into other options?

Give it a try. It's probably going to be under $50 scrap but you should be able to recoup about 40% of retail if it's intact once the stones are removed. If the prongs need retipping you won't do as well. I prefer to sell on the site which can not be mention here and never had any transaction go sour out of maybe 30 (yes I'm indecisive too!). Stuff that is a name with a "cult" following here sells super well and you may get 70% of retail back.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I can so relate Dreamer. I never know if I'll like something until I actually wear it for a while. So if you go with the Stuller mounting, what happens to your sidestone diamonds? Will you keep them as earrings? Or can they be used in the Stuller (I'm not clear on whether the Stuller comes with the side diamonds...what is their diamond quality?). Good luck with your decision!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1305651786|2924019 said:
Dreamer_D|1305648499|2923961 said:

Give it a try. It's probably going to be under $50 scrap but you should be able to recoup about 40% of retail if it's intact once the stones are removed. If the prongs need retipping you won't do as well. I prefer to sell on the site which can not be mention here and never had any transaction go sour out of maybe 30 (yes I'm indecisive too!). Stuff that is a name with a "cult" following here sells super well and you may get 70% of retail back.

Hmmm... good to know. I do not have any "cult" pieces I would want to sell ;)) I only own four (half eternity band and my three diamonds) and they will likely go with me to the grave! My setting is a $500 Unique setting, and the earring and pendant mounts are castings, not signature items from the gurus. But in future I will think about it! I'm not in the US either, so I think that complicates things re: selling on that site to other PSers.

30 sales! Wowee zowee, girl, you have fun I bet.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1305652690|2924037 said:
Oh, I can so relate Dreamer. I never know if I'll like something until I actually wear it for a while. So if you go with the Stuller mounting, what happens to your sidestone diamonds? Will you keep them as earrings? Or can they be used in the Stuller (I'm not clear on whether the Stuller comes with the side diamonds...what is their diamond quality?). Good luck with your decision!!

The stuller will fit all three of my diamonds! It happens to be calibrated correctly. So my earrings would become the side stones. I would never buy stock side stones from stuller, or anywhere other than one of the PS H&A places. I am a snob about cut 8)

So this setting will take my 1.67ct and also my earrings!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1305653777|2924051 said:

The stuller will fit all three of my diamonds! It happens to be calibrated correctly. So my earrings would become the side stones. I would never buy stock side stones from stuller, or anywhere other than one of the PS H&A places. I am a snob about cut 8)

Then that's perfect!! :naughty: I don't blame you, I wouldn't think most side stones in 3 stone stock settings are truly well cut (unless you go with BGD or the like).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1305654036|2924056 said:

Then that's perfect!! :naughty: I don't blame you, I wouldn't think most side stones in 3 stone stock settings are truly well cut (unless you go with BGD or the like).

And YOU need to go find an inexpensive setting and MOUNT YOUR DARN DIAMOND! Yes, I am yelling at you 8) It is simply horrid that you have such a beautiful stone sitting around unworn and unloved. Don't you know there are people desperate for a diamond like that right here on PS? I have half a mind to take it from you and ship it to some needy PSer :lol:

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1305655566|2924074 said:

And YOU need to go find an inexpensive setting and MOUNT YOUR DARN DIAMOND! Yes, I am yelling at you 8) It is simply horrid that you have such a beautiful stone sitting around unworn and unloved. Don't you know there are people desperate for a diamond like that right here on PS? I have half a mind to take it from you and ship it to some needy PSer :lol:

I'm working on it m'dear!! I think I will just have to go with an inexpensive halo mount from Eternity Diamonds. I know it won't be a Leon or anything, but at least it'll be on my finger finally; I mean it'll be 2 YEARS in September (although to my credit, I didn't actually have the stone in hand until March '10 since it sat at WF). Just honestly a bit worried about the pave quality though since they're so inexpensive. :sick: DH thinks I should just put it in a solitaire for now, but I know that won't work long term for me, so it'll be a wasted setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1305656422|2924082 said:
Dreamer_D|1305655566|2924074 said:

I'm working on it m'dear!! I think I will just have to go with an inexpensive halo mount from Eternity Diamonds. I know it won't be a Leon or anything, but at least it'll be on my finger finally; I mean it'll be 2 YEARS in September (although to my credit, I didn't actually have the stone in hand until March '10 since it sat at WF). Just honestly a bit worried about the pave quality though since they're so inexpensive. :sick: DH thinks I should just put it in a solitaire for now, but I know that won't work long term for me, so it'll be a wasted setting.

Aargh I feel your pain, I really do. I wonder if you husband is right though? :o You can get a very nice simple solitaire mount for under $500, even less if you want super simple, and then take your time on the pave. I think $500 is a small price to pay to enjoy your bigger stone. Think if it had been amortized over the last two years? :rodent:

On the other hand, eternity diamonds is likely offering mounts with pave that is similar to most mass produced pave, which is fine in most circumstances. You just need to accept that you will need to maintain it, make sure you have a good local jewler who can replace lost melee.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So the local jewler has just told me a) that the price I was quoted of $700 originally is for 14k wg not 18k. In 18k, the price would be $1100, making the stock setting much less appealing. Those costs included setting fees. They are also telling me it is non-refundable, even though looking at Stuller's website, Stuller accepts refunds.

That option is looking less appealing as it is not *really* any more economical that one of BGD or WF's settings anymore, when comparing 18k prices.

Thoughts?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. I guess it would depend on which setting you are interested in and how much more than $1100 it would be. Is there one or two in particular that you're interested in?

The downside of course is if you should ever decide to upgrade your center or sidestones - the mounting would probably be worth nothing more than the metal you could sell it for. Same would be true if you ever decided to upgrade your setting but if you get one custom made, I'd think you'd be set and no more idea of upgrading just the setting.

The upside is that the mounting would be custom made to fit your stones and there would be no guessing about what 'size' to order. You seem very happy with the size of your center stone so this might very well be 'the ring' so in that respect, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the custom one if your pocketbook will allow.

Seems no project ever goes as smoothly or inexpensively as planned but at the same time, you might end up with a very superior ring to the one you were initially thinking about!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
eh, that sucks Dreamer. Do you think you could try another jeweler and see if they can get you the Stuller for a better price? and with the refund policy in tact?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1305849828|2926112 said:
I agree. I guess it would depend on which setting you are interested in and how much more than $1100 it would be. Is there one or two in particular that you're interested in?

There is one at WF, the W-prong, that is the most likely contender. It would be about $1250 factoring in my 10k PS gift and shipping/stone setting fees. That's 18k gold and made to fit my stones. The only downside is 4 prongs on the outer stones and the shank is a little lower profile that I would want to match my diamond band. That might be fixable for mininal cost though...

The downside of course is if you should ever decide to upgrade your center or sidestones - the mounting would probably be worth nothing more than the metal you could sell it for. Same would be true if you ever decided to upgrade your setting but if you get one custom made, I'd think you'd be set and no more idea of upgrading just the setting.

I really think custome is out of the question at the moment. With metal prices as they are it seems that it would run $2000 or more, which is just not in the budget for this year.

The upside is that the mounting would be custom made to fit your stones and there would be no guessing about what 'size' to order. You seem very happy with the size of your center stone so this might very well be 'the ring' so in that respect, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the custom one if your pocketbook will allow.

I am very happy with my center stone, and most likely will be happy with the side size proportions too. I think a stock setting like the WF one I mentioned would be the only option, though, not full custom. It could very well be a setting I love and keep for a good long time.

Seems no project ever goes as smoothly or inexpensively as planned but at the same time, you might end up with a very superior ring to the one you were initially thinking about!

Unless you have an unlimited budget that far exceeds your wants, perhaps 8)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1305849866|2926114 said:
eh, that sucks Dreamer. Do you think you could try another jeweler and see if they can get you the Stuller for a better price? and with the refund policy in tact?

Hmmmm... maaaaybe. There is actually one other place I can try, now that you mention it! I will try to talk to them tomorrow and see what their price would be, now that I know the stock number of the Stuller mount I am interested in. They have an in-house bench, too, which is much better than the company I had been dealing with, and I know this second jeweler can order Stuller because we looked at the book when I was there. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1305604615|2923696 said:
MissGotRocks|1305594372|2923568 said:
Do you have a picture of the Stuller setting?

http://www.stuller.com/products/12693/?groupId=6517

OK, so the link above is the Stuller I am considering. I stumbled on these pictures of Lostsapphire's awesome three stone ring. I wish she was still around PS so I could ask her for sure, but her ring sure looks like the Stuller in the link... don't you think?? If so, it is pretty good looking generally speaking.

lostsapphirethreestone.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Stuller really does look great, Dreamer! Would you consider the 14k at all, or no because it won't match your band?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
DD the Stuller looks great if your local jeweler does work you like and can give you a good price. The WF that FLSteph posted is also gorgeous and the lines seem to be more fluid (it sounds like they might be similar in price in which case, my preference would be the WF setting).

Honsestly though, now that it looks like any of the settings are going to crest the $1000 mark, I would probably do the three stone "butterflies" setting (the one kind of like yssie's) because it seems to encompass alot of the design elements you want, is relatively affordable, and would be a right now setting that you would probably enjoy for several years to come (or maybe forever)...just my 2 cents. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results