shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, Now Brett Kavanaugh Can Face His Accuser

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Un-freaking-believable. These old fossils are going to do themselves in.....

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 6.22.15 PM.png

This makes me sick, literally nauseous. And @redwood66 just FYI the reason Feinstein didn't bring this to light when she first got the letter is because the professor specifically asked to remain anonymous. However, that became impossible because some info leaked (I forget which publication, but some outlet gave enough info that her privacy was being compromised). The professor then decided to come forward since there was already enough info to most likely identify her. Just wanted to clarify, because in this case Finstein was NOT playing politics.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, for me rape isn’t “politics.” But I guess to each their own.
You obviously did not read my post where I said that the view on when this was released had nothing to do with the validity of her story. Or you did but just want to make a snide remark.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This makes me sick, literally nauseous. And @redwood66 just FYI the reason Feinstein didn't bring this to light when she first got the letter is because the professor specifically asked to remain anonymous. However, that became impossible because some info leaked (I forget which publication, but some outlet gave enough info that her privacy was being compromised). The professor then decided to come forward since there was already enough info to most likely identify her. Just wanted to clarify, because in this case Finstein was NOT playing politics.
And I don't believe it for a second. Too convenient. Feinstein has been at this game a long time. Did anyone honestly think this person was going to get to leak this out and not have it come out who she is? It's politics and they don't care who gets hurt by it. They don't actually give a damn about anyone, they only tell you they do to get your vote.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's politics and they don't care who gets hurt by it. They don't actually give a damn about anyone, they only tell you they do to get your vote.
This. Is exactly why I don't care for, nor pay much attention to politics. I don't know why more people can't see this.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like I said. Politics. You have yours and the other side has theirs. One is no better than the other.

Fire them all because they sure aren't working for the majority of voters. What a joke. No wonder Congress' poll numbers are so low.

Agreed.. republicans had this info in July too. That is why they had that letter ready with 65 character signatures waiting, The Republicans should have come forward themselves. This was their nominee.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed.. republicans had this info in July too. That is why they had that letter ready with 65 character signatures waiting, The Republicans should have come forward themselves. This was their nominee.
Seriously? Not their story to tell. I thought she wanted to remain anonymous so if they had how would that look? Can't have it both ways. Republicans being prepared for it is politics just like Feinstein's last minute drop.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
I think it's really unfortunate that whether an accusation of this nature is "too convenient to be true" depending on politics. Because the same thing was said about Roy Moore and Al Franken. It must be nice for men to be able to get away with this stuff as long as it's politically expedient.

Something similar to the Kavanaugh alleged assault happened to me. Why didn't I report it to the police? Because rape is taken seriously, but run of the mill sexual assault is NOT, and I wasn't even aware that what this boy did was a crime. I imagine this boy, now a man, coming up for a position for the Supreme Court. If I say something, will it be "too convenient"? Will I be accused of being a liar because "I didn't say something earlier," as if I was supposed to stalk this guy throughout his whole life and warn every possible employer or else lose my right to ever speak out? Is what he did ok because he was 17 and I was 18? Will people be wondering if I was drunk just because he was drunk? Is his being drunk an excuse, even though if I drank it's my fault for drinking and I should have known better?

This woman has serious balls for coming forward publicly. And for Kavanaugh's side, I'm glad he's getting the chance to face his accuser. I'm glad he hasn't attacked this woman, but I wish everyone else would knock it off.

No way am I watching the hearings though. I'm pretty emotional about this. We need a surrogate to have a child, and women are not wanting to be surrogates with a SC that might over turn rowe. And of course I got the idea to flap my mouth and announce to family and close friends that we were perusing this avenue literally an hour before Kennedy resigned. I have the very best timing.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously? Not their story to tell. I thought she wanted to remain anonymous so if they had how would that look? Can't have it both ways. Republicans being prepared for it is politics just like Feinstein's last minute drop.
I didn’t condone Feinstein’s last minute drop. The only stance I’ve taken is the stance that the Republicans should have had integrity enough to be honest about this. They obviously knew about this ahead of time. They were hoping it wouldn’t come out.

Please don’t put someone else’s politics in my mouth.

It seems to me that no one can have it both ways and both parties are in the wrong.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i'm sorry this issue hits so close to home for you @vintageloves but thank you for speaking up. kavanaugh, franken, #metoo, brock turner and all the assaults and near assaults we've experienced and kept to ourselves or brushed off reiterate to the need to change a culture that still regards women as men's playthings.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An an uncertain world, its good to know that rape culture is alive and well, and that no one is ever really going to learn anything at all.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I find repugnant are the online comments being made after news stories. This is a woman with a two masters degrees and a Ph.D., well respected in her field, a tenured professor, who has passed a polygraph test and who has contemporaneous records dating back 6 years about the assault, and she’s reduced to being called a lying democrat whore by the hoards of presumed Trump supporters who come out en mass to denounce her. One can only imagine the threats and hateful comments directed towards her on her personal social media accounts, at her place of work, and at home. Not sure anyone would sign up for that as a media stunt. Look at Anita Hill (I rewatched some of her footage last night - that was a disgusting bit of history there too). None of it will matter either. Her life will be dragged through the mud for nothing.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Federalist is really neutral. :lol::lol::lol:

So it's deflect, blame the victim, and talk about how "IF it's true..." Awful article.
As neutral as the NYT and Wash. Post. :wink2:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I don't believe it for a second. Too convenient. Feinstein has been at this game a long time. Did anyone honestly think this person was going to get to leak this out and not have it come out who she is? It's politics and they don't care who gets hurt by it. They don't actually give a damn about anyone, they only tell you they do to get your vote.

Reminds me of the movie G.I. Jane.

Feinstein = Bancroft.

An an uncertain world, its good to know that rape culture is alive and well, and that no one is ever really going to learn anything at all.

I hope that if anything IS learned, it’s that people should not wait to report/allege actual crimes. Yes, it’s the alleged victims’ choice, but that choice has consequences both ways. And this truth is being played out right now in the case of Ford’s accusations.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Feinstein = Bancroft.

I hope that if anything IS learned, it’s that people should not wait to report/allege actual crimes. Yes, it’s the alleged victims’ choice, but that choice has consequences both ways. And this truth is being played out right now in the case of Ford’s accusations.

Your level of victim blaming is honestly disgusting.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is calling out what Feinstein did victim blaming? Her own hometown paper called her out. Get your facts straight. The alleged victim is being used.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spare me the usual leftie lingo & labels; I can tune into MSNBC for that nonsense. :roll:

Is it WRONG to report a crime? Does it help women if you DON’T report a crime? Does it help keep a criminal off the streets/off the bench if you DON’T report a crime? Does it help prevent a rapist from violating other victims if you DON’T report a crime? I refuse to apologize for feeling that NOT reporting a serious crime such as assault or rape is a selfish decision, for all of the reasons I stated above. Mind you, I’m NOT saying it’s a wrong decision for the victim, but it is a selfish decision, nonetheless.

In this case, Ford’s choice to remain silent - three decades ago - results in some people now reasonably questioning her ‘story’ given the ironic timing of her change of heart in coming forward. I can’t help but wonder why she didn’t come out when he was nominated to the circuit court, when this would have been far less ‘publicized and controversial’ if she was concerned about the impact to her repuation, family and kids, and genuinely wanted to stop an alleged criminal from rising to a position of power/authority. Now, in the court of public opinion, it’s going to come down to she said/he said and who is more credible/believable. I plan to watch & listen objectively to the hearing if it happens (Ford hasn’t committed to attend yet, Kavanaugh has). I WANT to hear what she has to say about this, in addition to hearing her account of her allegations she is making. We shall see ... I suspect he will continue to deny the allegation, and I expect she will say it happened, so body language will be what I’m watching.

But as has been said upthread - in this country, people are innocent until proven guilty; not the other way around. That rule applies to allegations of rape, assault, robbery, murder, fraud, etc. ... regardless of political affiliation. And if you blame “angry old white men” if Ford’s story is dismissed by the general public and continue running around screaming “victim blaming”, be sure to also blame people like Asia Argento, Crystal Mangum, Jackie Coakley, Wanetta Gipson, Danielle Ndonye, and a slew of others who’s own actions & false accusations have ruined lives unnecessarily, perpetuate ‘rape culture’, and contribute to society’s delegitimization of true victims of such crimes.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spare me the usual leftie lingo & labels; I can tune into MSNBC for that nonsense. :roll:

Is it WRONG to report a crime? Does it help women if you DON’T report a crime? Does it help keep a criminal off the streets/off the bench if you DON’T report a crime? Does it help prevent a rapist from violating other victims if you DON’T report a crime? I refuse to apologize for feeling that NOT reporting a serious crime such as assault or rape is a selfish decision, for all of the reasons I stated above. Mind you, I’m NOT saying it’s a wrong decision for the victim, but it is a selfish decision, nonetheless.

In this case, Ford’s choice to remain silent - three decades ago - results in some people now reasonably questioning her ‘story’ given the ironic timing of her change of heart in coming forward. I can’t help but wonder why she didn’t come out when he was nominated to the circuit court, when this would have been far less ‘publicized and controversial’ if she was concerned about the impact to her repuation, family and kids, and genuinely wanted to stop an alleged criminal from rising to a position of power/authority. Now, in the court of public opinion, it’s going to come down to she said/he said and who is more credible/believable. I plan to watch & listen objectively to the hearing if it happens (Ford hasn’t committed to attend yet, Kavanaugh has). I WANT to hear what she has to say about this, in addition to hearing her account of her allegations she is making. We shall see ... I suspect he will continue to deny the allegation, and I expect she will say it happened, so body language will be what I’m watching.

But as has been said upthread - in this country, people are innocent until proven guilty; not the other way around. That rule applies to allegations of rape, assault, robbery, murder, fraud, etc. ... regardless of political affiliation. And if you blame “angry old white men” if Ford’s story is dismissed by the general public and continue running around screaming “victim blaming”, be sure to also blame people like Asia Argento, Crystal Mangum, Jackie Coakley, Wanetta Gipson, Danielle Ndonye, and a slew of others who’s own actions & false accusations have ruined lives unnecessarily, perpetuate ‘rape culture’, and contribute to society’s delegitimization of true victims of such crimes.
Yes to all if this. :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How is calling out what Feinstein did victim blaming? Her own hometown paper called her out. Get your facts straight. The alleged victim is being used.

That's not what I meant. Blaming feinstein has nothing to do with victim blaming. I don't think feinstein is to blame here, but I understand people being angry with her. What I don't understand is blaming Ford for waiting to come forward and/or not coming forward sooner. That was her choice, and she's entitled to it. That's the victim blaming I'm talking about. Which is only more clear now that @the_mother_thing shared her belief that not reporting a crime like this is "selfish". Gross, ignorant, and exactly the problem.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's not what I meant. Blaming feinstein has nothing to do with victim blaming. I don't think feinstein is to blame here, but I understand people being angry with her. What I don't understand is blaming Ford for waiting to come forward and/or not coming forward sooner. That was her choice, and she's entitled to it. That's the victim blaming I'm talking about. Which is only more clear now that @the_mother_thing shared her belief that not reporting a crime like this is "selfish". Gross, ignorant, and exactly the

So someone's life should be ruined without proof or question is what you are advocating.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So someone's life should be ruined without proof is what you are advocating.

What? When did I say that he was 100% guilty and/or that he should go to jail? I didn't. I said that victim blaming is gross BS. Not to mention that from all we know about this particular case (therapist notes, lie detector), she seems pretty damn credible.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Feinstein = Bancroft.

Jenn, you are basically who I am talking about. You LIVE to blame rape victims for how their reaction to being raped didn't live up to your bizarre standards. I sincerely believe you to be ill, and therefore don't allow your responses to rattle me, but all I can really say regarding your bizarre fixation on perpetuating rape culture is, you and your views are grossly uninformed and mistaken.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So someone's life should be ruined without proof is what you are advocating.
Uninvited referee sticking her nose in here to throw a red flag at you red. I think you know that is not at all what she meant and your response is a low blow. There needs to be some equilibrium established in rape cases. High profile cases from just the past 2 years show that even with abundant proof against the alleged rapist, the victim is further victimized by the system. Brock Turner and a whole slew of collegiate and professional athletes whose names I can't remember received sentences that were no more than a slap on the wrist. A judge was recalled because of his heinously light sentence against a rapist.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results