shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, Now Brett Kavanaugh Can Face His Accuser

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am getting so many Ruby vibes from this thread. It's uncanny. Almost as if she were still here with us!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a very interesting discussion today about why, when men came forward after being abused by priests 30 to 40 years ago, NO ONE questioned their stories.
Maybe because in the 1990's the issue became prominent on the global stage, the 2002 Boston Globe expose, and subsequent public exposure of the issue and most importantly, the Catholic religious machine admitting there was abuse and coverup. And still, male and female victims alike were not believed. Some parents didn't believe their children. Females who reported were often treated differently than males who reported (no surprise there). Quite a few victims understandably lost faith in god and their church and ceased attending. There is a very different psychology at work when children are abused by "men of god". This is an old but still relevant article https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...use-male-compared-female-victimization-impact

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And I would concede that your bolded statement is also correct. Attitudes, tolerances, etc. for 30+ years ago (even 5 years ago) were vastly different than they are today (please don’t read that to mean I think these crimes were ‘acceptable’ then; I’m don’t). That’s part of the challenge with these types of cases, along with what was legal then may not be legal today, and/or vice versa. It’s VERY complicated. And NONE of our individual analysis & back-and-forth bantering will help solve matters unless we can collectively - as people (not victims, men or women) - come up with strategies that make the process for reporting & investigating such crimes compassionate to victims and fair to all in accordance with the constitutional rights.

No one can repair & erase the past, but I do believe there can be a process created by which victims can confidentially report crimes, evidence confidentially & compassionately gathered, and the accused tried fairly. But it definitely won’t happen when some people remain close-minded to all sides of the ‘debate’ except their own, and it surely won’t happen running around demanding every man have his pecker cut off for breathing. And it definitely won’t happen with the yahoos in DC having pissing contests for the sake of votes.

I definitely agree with you here.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This testimony is heartbreaking.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It truly is heartbreaking.

Her truth isn’t political.

Last edited:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
For an experienced prosecutor with these types of cases to be interrogating her in this manner is pretty gross. Almost as gross as that view she has.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#AuntRachel :lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: ame

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a disaster for the GOP. An absolute disaster. Best tweet of the day:

"This is what happens when 11 white, old Republican men get together and plot to sabotage #DrFord testimony. They are clueless and the best argument for term limits."

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fact that she is requesting an FBI investigation to HELP put together dates and times to HELP testimony is so telling. She's trying to be f-ing helpful!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You.Got.What.You.Wanted.I.Thought.You'd.Be.Satisfied.

I literally just punched my screen.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You.Got.What.You.Wanted.I.Thought.You'd.Be.Satisfied

Me too. He is dotard.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You.Got.What.You.Wanted.I.Thought.You'd.Be.Satisfied.

That Chairman is THE WORST. Klubocher (I'm sure I botched that spelling) is a total gem. That guy reminds me of the decrepit old school principal who wishes he still had the right to paddle kids.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ford's attorney is on his game. I'm scared of him. :lol::lol::lol:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ford's lawyer: "Can we be excused??" :lol::lol::lol::lol:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm exhausted. I can't even imagine how exhausted she must be.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummmm....Lindsay Graham is coming unglued on national TV.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dr Ford’s lawyer is one of the best @soxfan. I’m so glad he is representing her. They need a professional explaining how trauma affects people and how traumatic events are processed.

One thing I hope people take away from this hearing is Dr: Ford dealt with the trauma she endured completely by herself as a young teenager. This had to be an extremely hard day for Dr. Ford. The trauma this woman has endured for all these years has nothing to do with politics. She was extremely credible.

The FBI needs to do a thorough investigation.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ford does have good representation; Feinstein should be proud for having recommended them to Ford.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vote is not going to happen Friday. They are going to choose someone else for that seat. Even the White House admits that the hearing so far is really bad for Kavanaugh. Go ahead and blame Feinstein, the pussyhat brigade, or Hillary Clinton, but Ford is credible and it's over for Kavanaugh.

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feinstein should be proud for having recommended them to Ford.
Sooooo, just to clarify, are you suggesting by this comment that Ford's testimony is tainted (as Santorum suggested this morning by alluding to her as a pawn) and as the gop prosecutor attempted to do when she asked Ford who gave her advice about which law firms to approach?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sooooo, just to clarify, are you suggesting by this comment that Ford's testimony is tainted (as Santorum suggested this morning by alluding to her as a pawn) and as the gop prosecutor attempted to do when she asked Ford who gave her advice about which law firms to approach?

Don't take the bait! It's just sour grapes! :lol:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Nope. My comment was exactly what it was. Ford said Feinstein recommended them, and they represented her well.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am at work but have been listening to the entire testimony and I don't have time for typing long thoughts right now.

I do believe the prosecutor did establish that her lawyers and politicians did not have Ford's best interests at the fore. It seems she did not know that the committee chair made the offer to come to her with investigators to interview her one on one with her attorney? How is that helping her?

I thought she was quite candid considering the venue and I feel very sorry that she is in this situation by politicians' design for a spectacle.

Last edited:

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It drives me crazy all these GOP senators when asked by the press if they found Dr. Ford credible or if they believed her that they are all saying "I think *she* believes what she said." Are they trying to suggest that she's crazy? That she experienced some kind of delusional episode in which she *fantasized* that the she was assaulted by Kavanaugh? And I see Lindsey Graham has pulled out the "but his career..." statement:

"What am I supposed to do, go ahead and ruin this guy's life based on an accusation? I'm just being honest. Unless there's something more, no, I'm not going to ruin Judge Kavanaugh's life over this. But she should come forward. She should have her say. She will be respectfully treated."

Yeah, but not believed. Or if she is, it won't matter. It's too bad. There have been times when I actually quite liked him.

Honestly, I don't know how much more clear she could have been. She knew him before the assault (so there is no chance that she is mistaken about who it was). She clearly identified him and Judge before the assault in the room with her. She clearly detailed the assault. She said I am 100% certain that it was him. I was not drunk. I was not under the influence of drugs. I told people long before he was nominated, including my therapist. I'm not sure what else she could possibly say that would make her more credible.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny what people choose to focus on in regards to Ford's testimony....:???::???::???::???::???:

There’s a separate thread about the testimony, and I posted my overall/general comments there, if you really care.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
As someone close in age to Dr Ford, serious question - Does anyone around our age remember one single instance of date rape/acquaintance rape that was given serious weight?

I think we all basically thought being groped and manhandled at parties (certainly frat parties in college a few years later) was 'just the way it is'. I remember a girl in my dorm who said she was date raped by a very popular male RA (not sure date rape was even a term then) and everyone came down on his side. Victim blaming was the norm. Then add in the entitlement/power imbalances in this situation, no mystery to me why these women wouldn't have come forward.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results