shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird inclusions in spinel - is this synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 2:01:09 PM
Author: cofor
Got me one.. called: 4.38ct Screaming Oval Natural Purple Pink Spinel. Seems to have some interesting inclusions too.
Are you going to study it and post your findings here? I''m curious as to what they really are.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
I have ordered a custom made adapter for my Canon to have it work on my microscope. As soon as it is ready and delivered I will start shooting inclusions. Of course then there will be a thread started on the topic of "Show us your inclusions". I have a pile of rough selected for their respective inclusions just waiting. To that many of my cut stones also have something to show. I even prepared a piece of Aquamarine with a nice inclusion just for photomicrography.

cofor

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 3:00:35 PM
I have ordered a custom made adapter for my Canon to have it work on my microscope. As soon as it is ready and delivered I will start shooting inclusions. Of course then there will be a thread started on the topic of ''Show us your inclusions''. I have a pile of rough selected for their respective inclusions just waiting. To that many of my cut stones also have something to show. I even prepared a piece of Aquamarine with a nice inclusion just for photomicrography.

cofor
Can you tell me what Canon, and where you ordered this adapter? I had a film Canon and adapter for my GIA Gem microscope. Now I have a Canon DSLR, no longer have the film Canon, and no adapter to connect the Digital Canon the the microscope. Thanks for the many fine pictures you have posted of your rough.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOOH, it sounds like we''re going to be starting an inclusion thread on PS soon. Wouldn''t that be something!!?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I''m looking forward to the new inclusion thread(s).

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Mr Zeolite,
The digicam is a Canon S3 IS which I intend to use for photomicrography. I have a G9 too but it is kind of occupied by the mrs most of the time :)
The adapter is ordered at a local mechanical highschool (do not know the english term for it). I made the drawings and left them to the main teacher. (I know the principal pretty well).
I too used a 135-film camera when shooting dia positive many years ago but both the camera and the microscope adapter is since long gone.
To be able to "digi-shoot" through the microscope is something I really look forward to.

The adapter will be a very simple device which will slide over the ocular tube, light seal by o-rings, lock by locking screw and attach the camera by the 58 mm filter thread. It will be matte black on the inside.

Thanks for your kind words regarding my images of rough. They do however not even remotely compare to the extremely nice photos you have shown, which are awesome. Love to share what I can accomplish tough. I envy your skill as a gem photographer and hope to be able to get some advice if/when asked for.

cofor

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Cofor,

Thank you for you good comments about my gem photography. I can give advice when you need it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
TL,

Snap up the next one you see. You''d pay a small fortune John Dyer to make bubbles like that!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/28/2009 7:23:08 PM
Author: Gailey
TL,

Snap up the next one you see. You''d pay a small fortune John Dyer to make bubbles like that!!!!!
That''s right! Everyone pays mega bucks for JD''s bubbles
9.gif
Although his bubbles are well placed, esthetically pleasing and the material is better coloured.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2009 10:52:16 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 3/28/2009 7:23:08 PM
Author: Gailey
TL,

That''s right! Everyone pays mega bucks for JD''s bubbles
9.gif
Although his bubbles are well placed, esthetically pleasing and the material is better coloured.
Ah yes, well placed, but to look random - right? This way you get the real deal!! Yah shouldn''t have mentioned it Chrono - now TL will be picky!!
emteeth.gif

cofor

Shiny_Rock
At last I have had one evening with the new adapter. It was not perfect but it works...
Here is an image from the spinel I got from ebay. Nice crystals :)

spinel_burma02b.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Cofor for posting that. What do you think those crystal are? Very nice microphotograph.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool. Any idea as to what crystals those are? I''m tempted to use that picture as my avatar. And thank you Cofor for the microscopic picture.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 6:27:35 PM
At last I have had one evening with the new adapter. It was not perfect but it works...

Nice shot Conny! Looking forward to more photomicrographs.

From this angle, they look like octahedral crystals--spinel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So smaller spinels within the main host crystal?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Octahedral crystals are common in spinel--so are negative crystals.

Spinel within spinel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t stop looking at it; it''s so fascinating.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2009 6:27:35 PM
AWESOME photo....is this one of those bubbly spinels?

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it''s the bubbly pink spinel.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
ROFL!!! Xanax, Beano - OMG this is a fantastic way to learn about inclusions. I just love the humor here.

I''m always going to remember these pictures and these discussions because of the bubbles and the f*rt on the finger... and the Xanax addicted stone. I love you guys so much - you make this all so much fun.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another bubbly spinel on eBay.....

Lori

EBAYSPINEL8554.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 2:33:26 AM
Author: loriken214
Here''s another bubbly spinel on eBay.....

Lori

Are these worth collecting?

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe one or two just for fun. I would pick one where the placement of the bubbles is more interesting - where it makes a pattern or picture of sorts.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your kind words!
Chrono, I agree with everyone else regarding what the crystals are, spinel in spinel. The "bubbles" are not spinel crystals though, I think they are rounded calcite crystals. Have not got any images that I am satsfied with, on those, yet. Wish there were 48 hours in a day...

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Got one, not as sharp as I wish but nevertheless the "bubbly" inclusion.

spinel_burma03.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a peanut or mother/baby pair. Or a gem that needs some pepto bismol.
19.gif

cofor

Shiny_Rock
Here is a bit better image of the bubbly stuff...

spinel_bubb_00_w.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool!! Cofor do you have your own image of the whole stone? I''d like to see it in comparison to the vendor photo.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
No I do not, but I can prepare one. Give me a few days :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Incredibly cool - it looks like a splash of liquid captured in time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results