shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird foods we love!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 6:41:27 PM
Author: zoebartlett
There are so many things I''ve never heard of -- marmite, clootie dumplings, durian, bovril. I now know what marmite is but what are the other things? Maybe they were described above?

I know some things are considered delicacies in other parts of the world, and I respect that. But duckling??? I''ve heard that duck is really good but I can''t get the image of the ducks from the book ''Make Way For Ducklings'' out of my head. I think I''ll pass on trying it.

I have some consistency issues I suppose. I really like jam but don''t like jelly. Jelly seems to be more like jell-o -- a little jiggly and wobbly in an unnatural way. Jam is really good though and I love the sugar free kinds.

I do love popcorn and snowcaps mixed together.

Durian is a fruit that smells like a rotting carcass (to me at least, everyone describes it differently). And the taste matches the fragrance. ::Shudder:: My mom loves durian.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 1:00:36 AM
Author: Christa

Date: 4/27/2007 2:48:19 PM
Author: Lorelei
Anyone know what Marmite is - non Brits that is?
Ooh, I do, I do! And how about Vegemite?
14.gif
By product of making beer; dead yeast.

JenniferB

Shiny_Rock
This is a fun thread! Kinda gross - but fun!

I didn''t see it explained above but the "duckling" (per my Vietnamese experience) is not truly a "duckling" - it is the fertilized egg - that has become embryonic in the egg - thus, there are some bones and cartilage - it is soaked in a salt water somehow and then people eat it...so it is eaten, BEFORE, it is ever hatched, but in a "duck like" state inside the egg. *SO GAGGING*!!!

The weirdest thing that I can think of that I eat is Uni (raw sea urchin sushi). I hated it when I first tried it, but now I''m addicted.

Has anyone here (particularly in Asian communities) smelled/tasted that fermented soy bean stuff?! Omg, that is THE grossest smell - it is like cat vomit!!! (No offense to anyone that likes it, my mom loves it, and I would have to leave the house when I saw the container come out of the fridge...)

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hm.

Molasses with yogurt, on cereal.
Cream cheese with salsa on wheat thins
french fries on top of hot chicken tagine/stew...mmmmmm
seaweed
liver is OK made Iranian style

Mandarine

Ideal_Rock
Fun thread!

I LOVE black beans with sugar and shredded white cheese
18.gif

Nothing wrong with plain avocados!...just a little salt, yum!...also love plain tomatos!.

I can eat any kind of live, at any time of the day!...

Fried eggs with parmesan cheese (I actually put the cheese when it is still in the pan, then turned them over quickly so they get a little crusty on the top...hehe

Papaya shakes (papaya, milk and cinnamon)...yum, yum yum!

M~

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow, I''ve never even thought in my wildest nightmares of some of these things! The duckling thing. OMG.

And I thought I''d get egged for liking SPAM! Sandiegolady, I like fried Spam, that''s kinda like balogna. I like the deli kosher beef balogna with American cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, Genoa salami and hard salami with Hellmen''s light mayo on potatoe bread. That is delightful!

My mom and dad used to fix canned okra. Not to put in anything else, just heated, by itself. OMG. The hairy outside texture combined with the slimey seed texture and a not very good taste....they MADE me eat it, too. ***shudder***

They also ate really, really runny scrambled eggs with milk and water mixed in. They made me eat that, too, until I literally threw up on the family room floor and my dad had to clean it up. For 20 years I could not look a scrambled egg in the pan. The smell would set me off. But Martha Stewart and my dear MIL and BIL taught me to scramble eggs the RIGHT way and now I love them. So does my hubby and that was truly my only motivation in learning to like eggs.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2007 2:57:57 AM
Author: Po10472
A typical jar of Bovril.
It kind of reminds me of boullion cubes, or actually you can get jars of bouillon that''s kind of powdery. I use the chicken boullion in a spice mix for long grain brown rice.

Some of this stuff is not so bad -- in a recipe -- but by itself???? YUCK!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lumpkin, I like spam once in awhile. My BIL loves Potted Meat. I liked it until I found out what was in the stuff; Chicken, Beef Tripe, Partially Defatted Cooked Pork Fatty Tissue, Beef Hearts, Partially Defatted Cooked Beef Fatty Tissue.
14.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I love sushi. In theory raw fish sounds bad, but YUMMO!
18.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Liver and onions
41.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm cool with most organ meat as long as it's not from a pig. Kidney's are the only things I can't eat sometimes (but can other times if its prepared right).

But on the theme of weird combinations of everyday things...

I like my hotdogs well grilled on a french roll with mayo, diced tomatoes, chopped parsley, and chopped green onion.

I also like egg sandwiches with : boiled chopped eggs, diced tomatoes, chopped parsley and chopped persian (taste different that kosher or dill) pickles. On a french roll again. YUM!

I love caviar too. Persian, it goes with the territory.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is indeed a fun thread...
1.gif

Hey, what abt these smelly French cheeses? I remember the first time I was offered them. My family and I were living in France at the time and I was abt 13 yrs old, never seen or smelled French cheese before. We were having this huge dinner with this wonderful French family and for deserts, they brought out these really smelly cheeses (I don't really remember what they were but I am sure they included Brie, Camembert, Roquefort, Livarot, some blue cheese and some goat cheese). I wanted to run a mile but forced myself to stay and watched in awe as my dad (who used to be a diplomat and has travelled the world) savoured slowly each and every one of them, washing it down with some wine, his face lit up with complete pleasure. That incident stuck on my 13-year old brain and made me want to learn to like French cheese, which I have. These days, I absolutely ADORE them and consider no Western meal complete unless some French cheese is served.

I think it's what you've been brought up on as well as what you've acquired, taste-wise. My hubby and I try to keep an open mind and have tried things that I am sure some consider disgusting. After having tried them, then I can say I don't like some things. However, having said that, as much as I've pushed myself, I can't bring myself to trying insects or worms. I don't know, it's something abt them that really grosses me out. Oh well....

How abt Rocky Moutain Oysters
6.gif
? Has anyone tried them? I've seen people eat them on TV and am not sure I can bring myself to trying them.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2007 6:38:10 AM
Author: lienTN
This is indeed a fun thread...
1.gif

Hey, what abt these smelly French cheeses? I remember the first time I was offered them. My family and I were living in France at the time and I was abt 13 yrs old, never seen or smelled French cheese before. We were having this huge dinner with this wonderful French family and for deserts, they brought out these really smelly cheeses (I don''t really remember what they were but I am sure they included Brie, Camembert, Roquefort, Livarot, some blue cheese and some goat cheese). I wanted to run a mile but forced myself to stay and watched in awe as my dad (who used to be a diplomat and has travelled the world) savoured slowly each and every one of them, washing it down with some wine, his face lit up with complete pleasure. That incident stuck on my 13-year old brain and made me want to learn to like French cheese, which I have. These days, I absolutely ADORE them and consider no Western meal complete unless some French cheese is served.

I think it''s what you''ve been brought up on as well as what you''ve acquired, taste-wise. My hubby and I try to keep an open mind and have tried things that I am sure some consider disgusting. After having tried them, then I can say I don''t like some things. However, having said that, as much as I''ve pushed myself, I can''t bring myself to trying insects or worms. I don''t know, it''s something abt them that really grosses me out. Oh well....

How abt Rocky Moutain Oysters
6.gif
? Has anyone tried them? I''ve seen people eat them on TV and am not sure I can bring myself to trying them.
NO WAY!!!! Not if I were starving TO DEATH!!!! LOL!

I like cheese whiz on celery sticks. I never buy it unless my in-laws are coming over. No matter what the occassion, if my MIL or SIL are having us over, they always have a veggie tray with celery sticks and cheese whiz.

My MIL always makes a jello. I have really come to appreciate all the different jello dishes she has served over the years. For her birthday one year we got her a jello cookbook, but I think she probably has made every kind of jello dish ever conceived.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Other than tater tots dipped in cream cheese (I know... weird), most of my food oddities are mainly related to eating things cold (i.e.: not re-heated)...

Cold mac and chese (I won''t touch it if it''s warm)

Chef Boyardee ravioli right out of the can and not warmed up (I actually introduced FI and his college rommate to this one... they first thought I was nuts but soon realized it''s actually pretty good even though it seems gross)

Cold leftover General Tso (sp?) Chicken

Cold leftover casseroles

Cold leftovers from a dinner out (or dinner at home)

Can you tell I LOVE leftovers???
18.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think it''s weird that i don''t find most of this stuff weird.
i think i''m weird.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, April, that stuff doesn''t sound weird. Well, okay the tater tots and cream cheese concoction is a little weird...
1.gif

I LOVE casseroles! I am the only person I know who will admit to loving tuna casseroles. I make it with medium shells, tuna, reduced fat cream of mushroom soup, cut up portabella mushrooms, garlic, onion, and cheese. YUM! Bake it until the top has browned a little and the cheese is bubbly and melty. I can''t make it as often as I''d like because it''s not exactly the healthiest thing in the world.

Hmmm, maybe I''ll start a healthy casserole thread!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
April...

Do you like anything hot? Your underlying theme is COLD.
2.gif

DKS

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot believe someone else eats condensed milk out of the can...this has been my secret yummy obsession for years...figured it would gross people out.

Ok, I got one....I love fried chicken gizzards!
Any other southern ladies out there who''ll admit that?...lol

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 11:16:28 PM
Author: dianne
I cannot believe someone else eats condensed milk out of the can...this has been my secret yummy obsession for years...figured it would gross people out.

Ok, I got one....I love fried chicken gizzards!
Any other southern ladies out there who''ll admit that?...lol
Ha ha! My hubby does this too -- he pours it on saltine crackers! I think it''s the weirdest thing.
21.gif

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
This thread cracks me up, time to join in. SDL I love pizza and ranch too! I am a vegetarian and most people thing all my food is weird! I love anything tofu, especially soy breakfast meats. YUM. And edamame, I eat a bag of it for dinner a few nights a week.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Indeed this is a funny thread!! I thought of something else I used to eat when I was a kid: bbq sauce mixed with white rice!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
coffee creamer on a spoon. the powdered kind.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I want to play some more. I have another 3:

1) pig trotters!!
6.gif
...A perfectly ordinary food item in Asian cuisine and apparently the French are fond of them too. Hubby refuses to go anywhere near them!
9.gif

2) frog legs...The French and Asians also love them. I am not so keen.

3) pig brain.. My Mom used to cook it and I loved it as a child, but absolutely HATE it now, GROSS!!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness Jcrow...I do the same thing and my family teases me about it. I keep the powdered creamer by the toaster and after I''m done eating a spoonful I can see my reflection...the creamer sometimes gets stuck to my bottom lip
41.gif
. That is what my DF calls "crack mouth," like Tyrone Biggums. RIP Dave C
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results