shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird foods we love!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 4:54:37 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 4/27/2007 2:48:19 PM
Author: Lorelei
Anyone know what Marmite is - non Brits that is?
YES...and I''m so so sorry that I found out.
14.gif
Some friends and I get together and have tea once a month...so the Brit brought marmite sammies for us to taste. BLECH.

I am w/FG. My husband loves it on toast; his mother is from London and they both love it. I tried it and thought it was going to be sweet; nope, not at all.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I haven''t done this since college, but pizza dipped in sour cream was pretty tasty. Actually I like sour cream on a lot of things when I think about it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha FG, I know most Americans DESPISE Marmite!!! Skippy, I think it is one of those things you have to be brought up from the cradle on it, I eat it every day - YUMMO!
31.gif

MrsSalvo, did they tell your Husband what gives black pudding it's black colour?
emotion-41.gif
emotion-41.gif

KindredSpirit717

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 5:41:20 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 4/27/2007 4:10:46 PM
Author: njc

Oh mara! You’re telling me you’ve never had a Frosty with French fries from Wendys!? Oh, its THE best!

I agree...love the fries dipped in a frosty
18.gif
mara, you''ve got to try it...

lorelei, when my hubby was in england a few weeks ago the guys there made he try black pudding and didn''t tell him what it was. He called me later and asked if I''d heard of it and I said yes, i knew, and asked him why. he told me he actually ate a few bites and then figured something was up, the guys told him and he was pretty grossed out and my hubby will eat just about anything...
That''s so funny because my sister went to England last summer a vegetarian, by the end of her stay she was no longer one and had even tried black pudding and was in love with it!! Honestly, I don''t think I''d be able to get it down my throat even if it tasted good, the mind has a mighty power over my gag reflex...although I have been known to eat some strange things. There''s been:
Pickles and ice cream
pickles and peanut butter
french fries, tator tots, or hash browns and maple syrup
potato chips and ketchup
spaghetti omlet

And I too love bean sandwhiches, tomatoe/mayo/cucumber sandwhiches....yuummmy...

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 4:10:46 PM
Author: njc

Oh mara! You’re telling me you’ve never had a Frosty with French fries from Wendys!? Oh, its THE best!

Tomato and mayo sandwiches aren’t weird, theyre a southern staple!

I can eat olives and pickles a jar at a time too. I have been known to drink the juice afterwards too!

When I put Worcestershire sauce in stuff, I always grab a spoon and have a couple “shots” before I put the bottle away!
18.gif

Reese’s peanut butter cup sundae with mint chocolate chip ice cream from Friendly’s.
30.gif

I could sit and eat edamame’s all day long like they were chips or candy.

In college, I would eat the ramen noodles uncooked… got my roommate hooked as well!

I could eat sour cream like it was yogurt.
I thought my sister was the only one who did that! I''ve tried it and I hate to admit it but it wasn''t too bad.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 2:50:56 AM
Author: Po10472
how about some haggis, neeps and tatties or black pudding and tattie scones.

that''ll put some hair on your chest!

28.gif
You couldn''t pay me enough to eat haggis or black pudding! What are neeps and tatties? I hesitate to ask but part of me is curious.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's marmite?

I grew up on Wonder bread too but now I only like whole wheat. When I was little my mom used to pack up our cooler in the summer and we'd bring it to the pool we grew up going to. I could pretty much count on seeing cream cheese and jelly sandwiches, either on bread or on Ritz crackers in that cooler. I won't eat it now though.

I can't think of weird foods that I like but there may be some. My dad used to make Canadian bacon sandwiches on toast and they were pretty yummy. About twice a year I like to have peanut butter and banana sanwiches (on toast and not fried).

My dad is the king of finding random things in the fridge and putting them together. I can't think of specific concoctions he's come up with but I know there have been many.

Has anyone ever had coffee milk? My dad's family is Portugese and in southern MA there are a few cities that are known for their large Portugese neighborhoods. It seems like coffee milk is all the rage there. I grew up visiting family there and we'd always have coffee milk.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe neeps are swedes or turnips, can't remember which. Tatties are potatoes, we often call them tatties or taters in the UK.

Marmite is a yeast extract spread which has a strong flavour...I can't describe it as it is very unique, quite salty. It comes in a jar and is usually eaten in sandwiches or on toast( my fave). It is rich in B vits so it is good for you. I think you need to be brought up on it from a child as most who try it in adulthood think it is disgusting!

Here is a link for you, you either love it or hate it!

http://www.marmite.co.uk/love

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Black pudding is a real Lancashire thing! Can''t stand it myself, but I guess being vegetarian from age 13 and a mother that can''t stand offal or blood of any description means that I never got exposed to it.
14.gif

Now cheese and jam (jelly to those in the US) is the best!!
3.gif
Has to be Lancashire mild and raspberry jam - nothing else tastes as good... Lancashire crumbly is ok, but isn''t as easy to eat the slices and it disintegrates when you spread the jam!

Keep hoping to see Lancashire cheese in the middle east, but all we get is cheddar!
39.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Popcorn with melted juniors mints mix together
18.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 12:28:24 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 4/26/2007 8:48:20 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''ve said this before, but I''m absolutely obsessed with green olives. I go through about a jar a week, and that''s after restraining myself.
I love green olives.. but.. they must be the small ones.. and firm, not mushy. gak.

I also like grilled cheese sandwiches dipped in ketchup..
Tomato soup with pepper and worcestershire sauce..
Fried bologna sandwiches..
Bologna & lays potato chip sandwiches..
Spaghetti three way at the Corvette Diner in Hillcrest.. (spaghetti, chili & cheese)..
Oh YUM! And it has to be fried in lots of butter, with a cold glass of milk
16.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 5:51:50 PM
Author: decodelighted
I like mustard on my egg salad sandwiches ... makes it a kind of Deviled Egg sammy
Swiss & mustard grilled cheese sandwiches
Olives & cream cheese on bagels (i guess not so weird if they sell Olive Cream Cheese)

We had all kinds of crazy sandwiches as a kid. My mom is KOOKY. Sardines & peanut butter?? Cottage cheese & chopped onion?? Hot dogs split open on white bread with baked beans poured over it. Cucumber/mayo sandwiches. Tomato & Sugar sandwiches. Bread/Butter/Sugar sammys.

These all involve Wonder Bread btw -- no whole grains existed in the South in the 70s.

And my kid fave: ''fingers'' of poundcake dipped into red Kool-Aid.
No way
23.gif
I love sardines and I love peanut butter...I can''t image them together.

How about a cheeseburger with peanut butter, or a pizza with sardines...yummy!!!
3.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Wow...the list is increasing. Amazed at all the combinations! Very creative board!

I just talked to my mother and she reminded me of toasting bread over a candle..(probably carcinogen city...) you hold it over the flame until it blackens from the smoke and then spread butter on it. Also mayo, onion and green pepper sandwiches. Carmel popcorn as cereal in milk-that is REEELY good especially if it has a tad of salt on it. When younger, friend and I took cocoa powder with equal amount of sugar and ate it dry we each ate an 8 oz glass full. Suppose Nestquik wasn''t around.

Mothers generation put peanuts in a bottle of coke. My MIL eats raw potato sandwiches..but she also loves pigs feet...eeegads. My grandmother loved cornbread crumbled served in a glass of cold buttermilk-yikes!

Oh on the Worchestershire sauce...I also take a few shots every time I use it too..and I have been known to make a meal out of condiments. Soy, A1, Mustards, Tobasco... I was watching my calorie intake and needed some flavor...smack daddy I got it!

My opinion is that you sardine eaters win. Sardines and peanutbutter? Well maybe that back pudding stuff is the main contender (is that really blood?
32.gif
)...I have a ton of entrys...but pretty lame boring safe stuff.

DKS

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, no one has listed morel mushrooms yet....I consider these to not be "weird", just unheard of, to most PSr''s! I posted on another thread (Skippy''s Pet Calf, to be precise) that my brother and I used to go "mushroom hunting" which is to say we went searching for morel mushroom every spring that were indigenous to our neck of the woods. The mushrooms themselves look a bit like cone shaped sponges and are absolutely delectable when soaked in water overnight, then dipped in a batter of flour, salt, and pepper and fried in a skillet until they turn golden brown/gray. They are only "available" once a year, in spring when conditions are perfect, meaning they are little bits of mold grown from spores which come off of nasty old rotting tree trunks, etc. which makes them a delicacy because they are very hard to find! It is somewhat of an art to learn how to figure out where they will possibly grow, and the ones you find one year may not grow in the same place for years to come. I still have dreams about them every spring wishing I could find about a bushel full and fry them up and eat them myself! So hunting and frying up a fungus is actually my weirdest food that i looooooove! Yum!

I do appreciate everyone''s stories here of strange food combos though, and with the exception of the meat dishes I can feel my taste buds swelling after reading some of the posts! Haggis, no thank you...don''t even know what black pudding is, nor do I want to find out, hee hee! But it is funny what people will scavenge for in their fridges and actually combine to eat! PS, I do love a good wonderbread/potato chip sandwich with mayo and mustard, lol!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
You could always try the veggie haggis which is gorgeous and the clootie dumpling! Its packed full of oats and raisins, sultanas, splash of whisky, cinnamon etc and you serve it hot with custard - devine.

There''s also white pudding...........I don''t think you want me to go into detail with that if the thought of haggis and black pudding is turning your stomach.

Cranachan - now you''d enjoy that too, its cream, raspberries, with oatmeal and a splash of whisky. tis very tasty indeed.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE marmite! Yum yum!!

Don''t get me started on weird Asian foods! you''ve ben warned!!
6.gif

Personally, I don''t go for all that weird stuff (crickets, worms etc) yikes!! Extra GROSSSSS!!!

BUT, there is one thing that is Vietnamese (and also Filipinos - from what I''ve been told) that I eat - only from time to time - that grossses my hubby out. See if ya''all can guess what it is?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zoe, Lorelei, I believe "neeps" are turnips.

Btw, I hate black pudding too.. Yikes!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, there are 2 foods that I love that I''m sure will gross out many of you, one of which poor dear hubby has learnt to like and the other he still absolutely hates!
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 8:51:08 AM
Author: lienTN
I LOVE marmite! Yum yum!!

Don't get me started on weird Asian foods! you've ben warned!!
6.gif

Personally, I don't go for all that weird stuff (crickets, worms etc) yikes!! Extra GROSSSSS!!!

BUT, there is one thing that is Vietnamese (and also Filipinos - from what I've been told) that I eat - only from time to time - that grossses my hubby out. See if ya'all can guess what it is?
Please don't tell me it's a duckling still in its shell.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2007 9:02:10 AM
Author: lienTN
Actually, there are 2 foods that I love that I''m sure will gross out many of you, one of which poor dear hubby has learnt to like and the other he still absolutely hates!
3.gif
Durian? I have never tasted it in my like.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG!! Harriet, you''re right on both counts!
6.gif

I can''t believe you''ve never tried durian
6.gif
. Hubby used to really hate it, but learnt to like it (I think his motto was: If you can''t beat them, join them). One of my best friends is the same, she used to hate it but her husband really loves it, so she''s learnt to like it too. WRT the other one, poor hubby practically gets ill when I eat it, which is only once every few yrs. I think i;ve just managed to gross out the whole PS community!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Grody! Lien, its 9 in the morning here.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry!
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone here know what Bovril is? I used to eat it mixed with instant noodles.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVe that too. Not too different from marmite, IMO.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mean, taste-wise. I know they''re two different things.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are so many things I''ve never heard of -- marmite, clootie dumplings, durian, bovril. I now know what marmite is but what are the other things? Maybe they were described above?

I know some things are considered delicacies in other parts of the world, and I respect that. But duckling??? I''ve heard that duck is really good but I can''t get the image of the ducks from the book "Make Way For Ducklings" out of my head. I think I''ll pass on trying it.

I have some consistency issues I suppose. I really like jam but don''t like jelly. Jelly seems to be more like jell-o -- a little jiggly and wobbly in an unnatural way. Jam is really good though and I love the sugar free kinds.

I do love popcorn and snowcaps mixed together.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2007 2:48:19 PM
Author: Lorelei
Anyone know what Marmite is - non Brits that is?
Ooh, I do, I do! And how about Vegemite?
14.gif

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Bovril is beef extract. You would mix a teaspoon with boiling water and have it like a soup. Its minging!! (disgusting). I''m a football fan (soccer) and they sell scotch pies and bovril at the foodstands in the stadium, the place stinks. Its mainly a guy thing to drink, they also put salt and pepper in their cup of bovril.

Oh and a scotch pie is a mutton filled small round pie, again, yeuch! I don''t eat meat so all this stuff is just gross to me.

The thought of Durin.........
8.gif
........says me with the haggis!!

ScotchPie.jpg

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
A typical jar of Bovril.

Bovril.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results