shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 8th Jan till 14th Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
TG, you''re very funny! (TGuy''s reviews)

The recipe thread is a great idea!

Dee, I think you''re right about just staying w/in the range. should be fine b/c I undershot w/ the calories burned per week (knowing I might also overshoot w/ the calories consumed?).

I just had oatmeal for breakfast, which I haven''t done in a while. I have these boxes of instant oatmeal and 1 is kashi (high fiber, high protein) and the other is just plain oatmeal, no sugar or anything added. I use one of each, and it''s 260 cal, but I add a splash of milk and I had a banana also, so I think my breakfast was around 350 cal. I''m really full too.

I''m ready to start counting my calories. But I eat out pretty often, so maybe I''ll have to guess--or just eat out less. we''ll see how that goes

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay: It''s 6:30 a.m. and I''m sitting in a hotel room attempting to stifle my laughter so I don''t wake my room neighbor. Thanks for a great start to my morning.

Congrats on the new car, Rod!

No exercise today. I''m in Sacramento. Food wise I did fairly well yesterday, which is not easy as I am at the whim of my wonderful hosts and hostesses. I had a small bag of wheat thins and a slice of persimon bread for lunch. A slice of pizza and some salad for dinner and 1/2 a cookie. Breakfast was my usual oatmeal as I was still at home.

Today I''m having breakfast at another friend''s house, lunch out w/ an old co-worker and dinner with a group of girlfriends. I think I''ll have a salad for lunch and declare tonight my cheat night.

My plan to workout on Sunday and get my 4 days in will likely not happen. I''ve already burned 1700 calories this week, so I''m in decent shape in that department. My grandfather passed away on Wednesday afternoon, so I''ll be heading home Saturday and then to my parents Sunday. I am hoping to get a good walk in once were there to make up those last 300 calories.

I''ve managed to lose my voice and I have a slightly sore throat but no other symptoms of sickness so I have my fingers crossed that this doesn''t turn into something nasty. I''t been 3 days so I can''t imagine it''s going to get worse or that I''m really sick, perhaps just a case of larengitis.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay -- I'm cracking up at my desk and my cube neighbors are inquiring and I just couldn't tell them! that was TOO funny! And actually, I think your hubbie is right... I think the name is the same for both items! ah well... here's to more... smoothies!
2.gif

So the latest craze around my office is frozen oatmeal from TJ's. I haven't seen the nutritional label, but apparently it's the long-cooked oats, just frozen in a bag so you can microwave and be quick about it. I was looking at the dozen stuffed into our office freezer and it looks like something that would be easy enough to do at home... make up a big pot of real good-for-you long-cooking oatmeal, then bag it and freeze it. What do you think? Anybody want to try it? Anybody tried the TJs stuff?

ETA: Kimberly, I completely missed your post about your grandfather! I'm so sorry for your loss!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear about your grandfather, Kimberly - my condolences.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. >>

Lorelei, he''s vacationing in my microwave...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberly, my condolances to you and your family on the passing of your grandfather.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
new avatars for all! hehe.

kimberly, my condolences to you and your family on your grandfather's passing...but hope you have a great trip and are NOT getting sick.

nejarb, re the whole calorie counting thing and going out, many times i can't add in my night-out calories either. so if i know we are going out to dinner, like tonite, then i have a ligther 'day' and 'morning' ....not splurging as much on other snacks because i am looking fwd to that nighttime treat. i typically can kind of guesstimate what i am eating when we are out for the most part, aka the burger and fries i had last week, i know that the whole meal was probably around 1k with the ranch i used, cheese on the burger and the fries just straight from the oil. but i had only had about 600 cals til that point so even if the meal was 1200 then i still was in my spark range. so i tend not to worry unless we go out and i eat a TON of fried and fatty foods. i don't even really worry about fish and chips if we go out and my day was light. and it seems to have worked out, i used that model while losing the weight i wanted to, so it seemed like a few splurges didn't really matter as long as i was aware of everything else and kept my workout regime up.

sumbride, on the oatmeal, amanda was saying earlier in this thread that microwaving oatmeal takes all the nutrient properties away. not sure exactly what that means but i have started using the old fashioned oats but microwaving the water til it's boiling steaming hot then adding it to the oats and cooking them that way. i really don't have the patience to get the pan out...and i know the old fashioned way says to cook them over boiling water for 3-5 minutes but so far this week this has worked for me and the water does cook the oats. and then i am not microwaving the oatmeal itself. i would imagine if you made the oats but then froze them then microwaved them to revive them, it would still be sapping some nutrients from them. honestly i think that this way i have devised is the best for non-microwaving the oats themselves but yet not having to get all into the pan on the stove kinda thing. anyway just some oatmeal thoughts.

on that same oatmeal note i am still seriously loving the oatmeal in the mornings with joseph's syrup and some brown sugar. YUM YUM and YUM. and best part is that the cals is way less than a packaged instant oatmeal pack...i use about 2/3 of a cup of oatmeal, a teaspoon of the syrup and about 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar, total calories is about 205. i need a bit more than 1/2 a cup like the instant packs are...but i don't like using two as it gives me too much...so i used to do 1.5 packs but honestly this is way easier and i get to flavor it myself. this joseph's syrup is a serious lifesaver. last time i went to whole foods to specifically get it, i made sure to get two bottles. hehe. i don't ever want another syrup again.

so last nite my stomach was pretty uncomfortable but it seems to be better after a night of laying down. i wish i could lay down at work too, haha. it probably doesn't do me any good to be sitting up all day at the desk. but oh well, i can relax it over the weekend. i really want to go work out tonite even just walking but i think i really should give it a rest.
39.gif

OH and muffin update. the berry buttermilk muffins are a HUGE HIT. not only are they yummy (and just the right amount of sweet but not too much) but they are so pretty looking with their berry filled selves. Greg and I split one last nite and I'm taking a few into the office today. The cals worked out to about 160 per muffin which is not that bad for a buttermilk berry muffin with actual sugar in it...but I used the whole wheat white flour at least so there is a fair amount of fiber in them which is a perk.

mandarine, i can imagine it's super hard to try to rest up, i'm having to do it in a not-quite-so-painful way but the boredom just drives you nuts. just take it easy and think about how hard you can get back into it when you are all back into tip top shape.

oh and about the lasagna sauce being a good pasta sauce, totally agree. actually in our spaghetti sauce which we now make in the crockpot, we use a combo of lean ground beef and lean ground turkey and we basically just cook it up in a pan, add it to the crockpot with mushrooms, a bunch of sauces, garlic, onions, and herbs and let the whole thing sit for 4-8 hours. it turns the sauce nice and yummy and thick and then we just make spaghetti and that's that. and it lasts for days. so the lasagna is actually really close to the way we make our spaghetti which might be why we like it so much. hehe.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
hmm... I thought she meant that the kind you cook in the microwave don''t have the same kind of nutrients, not that zapping it kills them. Will have to investigate. I think the kind you add water to wouldn''t be as healthy as the kind you have to cook. on to google.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 11:26:38 AM
Author: sumbride
hmm... I thought she meant that the kind you cook in the microwave don't have the same kind of nutrients, not that zapping it kills them. Will have to investigate. I think the kind you add water to wouldn't be as healthy as the kind you have to cook. on to google.
I googled it as well and the jist was that the microwave can kill nutrients but it didn't really get into details on how or what or whatever. I found it pretty inconclusive but there was some saying nay to the microwave and some saying it didn't matter, so I figured I would try something else just to see if it worked and it did.

The kind that I have is 'old fashioned' oats. They are not the kind you 'just add water' to, those are 'instant' or 'quick cooking' oats. BUT they are rolled oats and they cook in boiling water on the stovetop within 3-5 minutes. So I have adapted it to basically take the cheap way out...I am supposed to be cooking them on the stove but if I get the water in the micro hot enough (it's almost boiling over) then it cooks them without me having to use the stove. So it's kind of a middle-ground and it works.

If you are talking about steel-cut oats you might have to cook them on the stove. But I have old fashioned rolled oats. I might try steel cut next but those apparently take a while to cook on the stove so I don't think that the boiling water from micro would work on them. I would probably only have the steel cut on the weekends when I could actually take the time to make them. In terms of nutritional value, if I recall, steel cut are the most fibrous but old fashioned rolled are still very good for you. Instant seems to have the least amount of nutrients....still way better for you than most breakfasts though!!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
ah, that makes sense.

who knew oatmeal could be so complicated?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, the great oatmeal debate.

I didn''t know about the microwave kills the nutrients. The kind of oatmeal meant for the microwave -- instant -- was washed of all it''s nutrients. So even if it''s Old Fashioned Oatmeal but you can cook it in a matter of minutes it still not as good for you as the pain-in-the-butt-takes-30-minutes-to-cook kind. It''s still yummy and is low in calories. But you shouldn''t think that you''re getting that much fiber into your diet by eating it.

I''ve been doing so-so this week. I didn''t go to the gym yesterday and we made pizza in class. I was running late for school so I didn''t get to eat lunch so, litte, teeny-tiny pieces for me. SO GOOD!

I went to the gym this morning but I''m going out to dinner tonight, tomorrow night and Sunday night. We''ll see how I do at my weigh in tomorrow!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberley - I am so sorry too for your loss
emrose.gif
Take care of yourself

turtledazzle

Brilliant_Rock
Kimberly ~ my condolences to you and your family. I hope you still were able to have a nice time in Sacramento.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like Magic Bullet may be the one to get. I went downstairs and looked at mine...it''s called an Insta Blend...

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/product_display.asp?productid=8

It''s discontinued and I think the company went out of business. Mine still works fine (I''ve had it for years) but I guess many of them have broken down!

Magic Bullet also has plenty of reviews on epinions.com. It''s quite mixed. I think these things work fine for smoothies, but you can''t expect it to take the place of a real food processor/blender for real jobs.

Worked great for my smoothie this morning! Yum!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
amanda, when you look at instant oatmeal packages, they list prepared nutritional information as 3g of fiber and 5g of protein in the one i have here in my desk. i think that the one i have at home, old fashioned non quick is like 4g fiber for a serving and around 5g of protein as well. i think steel cut is more..but the serving size is smaller as well. so then it would seem you are still getting a fair amount of fiber and protein, even just by using old fashioned or the quick cooking. sure it may not be 7g or whatever like the steel cut but 3g is still 12% of your dv.

if that's the case then the regular processed oatmeal would not seem to be 'washed of all it's nutrients', it's just processed to take some out from it's *original* shape and form. re: the microwaving, if you do read online, some sites do say microwaving CAN take out some of the nutritional benefits, it just doesn't say what nutrients and how it's good or bad so it's pretty vague!

the jist sounds like then you can pretty much eat whatever oatmeal you want to get a nice serving of fiber in the mornings, which is good to know. whew. very confusing!!!

TG..re the magic bullet, i actually only have a mini food processor and not a big one, so something like the MB might work for a supplement to our kitchen. we'll see. maybe i will get one for my mom too with that special 2 for 1 deal. but i'll probably do it closer to spring...when i know i will really be wanting to try something more springy and less 'hot oatmeal'...hehee.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Kimberly, how are you doing? My condolences to you about your grandfather passing away. Be sure to get some extra vitamins, it sounds like you might be getting sick. I live by Airborne whenever my throat starts to feel funny.

Breakfast for today was a pumpkin spice muffin and coffee. I had tuna salad and a little bit of mac and cheese for lunch. Has anyone had Bertolli''s frozen dinners? I bought the only one under 5 million calories. It''s a roasted chicken linguine at 420 calories per serving and 17g of fat. I figured I''d try it on days that I have no time to plan a meal and cook.

Mara, from the length of time that you''ve been having this stomach pain, it does sound like you have a strained or pulled muscle. I pulled a hamstring muscle while doing a split many years ago, and I couldn''t stretch my hamstring again for another 3 weeks. Just take it really easy and let the muscles heal. Don''t try to do any work on it because you might make it worse. OH and thanks for starting the RECIPE thread! I''m so excited.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Rod-- I WISH I could get my husband to join in. He is my project for this year, though (wicked laugh!) Get husband as obsessed with health and fitness as I am!

Lorelei-- Interesting to know that you have scoliosis. I have it too, in fact I wore a back brace for a couple of years in junior high school.
Mine is surely not as severe as yours, though, but I really do suffer from some back issues, including some spasms. Sorry to hear that it plagues you. Another great reason for staying strong and fit.

I am WAY behind on my thread reading all! I must go back and read about all of your progress!!

We fly out for Utah tomorrow morning! I've been really increasing my water intake this week to be ready for the dry/cold mountains. I am so super excited. You really know you are fitness obsessed when one of the highlights to you ski vacaion is imagining all the calories you're going to burn!

ETA:

Just scanned a little more and saw the news about Kimberly's grandfather. So very sorry, my thoughts are with you.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im really sorry to hear about your grandfather passing away Kimberley.
Hope everyone is doing well. Had another fine day today and I think I''ll head to the gym later on tonight.
I cannot wait to get my own place and start cooking-those muffins sound delicious. When my parents go away next I think I might give them a go

mrchips

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 1:47:15 AM
Author: katebar

Date: 1/11/2007 2:27:39 PM

Author: mrchips

here''s a quick tip. BUY YOURSELF A MAGIC BULLET. they work wonders.
There are so many wonderful enablers in this forum
2.gif
I have bought diamonds purses jeans and makeup on P''fers recomendations and now I got myself a Magic Bullet
36.gif

Every morning for the last 3 years I mix my smoothie in my blender and then dread cleaning it. My old one at least could be thrown in the dishwasher but this new Breville one cannot
29.gif
It all has to be taken apart and cleaned.

Now I will have my Magic Bullet and will be able clean it in a blink of any eye. Thank you mr chips and all the other Pfer''s who share their knowledge.

On topic I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and had a good day on the food front. Out to dinnertongiht but will have main course only and probably have fish and salad

you''re very welcome.

enjoy. and every once and a while you''re allowed to cheat. so enjoy the junk. if you eat clean 6 of the 7 days, eating bad for one day will DO NOTHING TO YOU OR YOUR WEIGHT.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
::newsflash::

ok, don''t even bother eating the lasagna when you make it. Leave it for the next day. Oh my goodness...today it is SO good! I''m a believer!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 2:49:08 PM
Author: TravelingGal

ok, don''t even bother eating the lasagna when you make it. Leave it for the next day. Oh my goodness...today it is SO good! I''m a believer!!!!
I TOLD YOU WOMAN!

It''ll be even better tomorrow!

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 2:50:27 PM
Author: Mara

I TOLD YOU WOMAN!

Ha! I hope that''s true b/c I made the full-size pan of it for just the two of us so we''re going to be eating it for a week!
1.gif
That said, I''m sure it''ll be yummy-ish tonight at the very least and I look forward to its increasing deliciousness as the week goes on.
Mara, I just saw in the older recipes thread your recipe for beans and rice -- may have to make that one too! I used to live on red beans and rice (just the packaged Vigo kind with hot sausage thrown in there) - total comfort food for me! - so this may be a more grown-up version of that.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 2:50:27 PM
Author: Mara

I TOLD YOU WOMAN!

There won''t be any tomorrow.

Although I have to say, two days waiting for really fab lasagna? Not great for my instant gratification tendencies!
39.gif

BTW, I am sure I don''t have to tell you to research the magic bullet...as you are a forum/research queen. But it really does seem to have mixed reviews. I have never used ice in mine, so that''s why I think it still lives. Frozen bananas aren''t much of a match for this thing...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ela..yeah i remember that recipe! i should make it again for us. so many recipes, so little time!!

TG..i know it is not the most fun to wait for the lasagna, i do think that making the sauce ahead of time helps immensely but it''s so funny how the longer it sits together the more flavorful it becomes. the last batch we had the last pieces FIVE DAYS after we made it. DIVINE. and we split it up so we had it thursday, then saturday, then monday. so it wasn''t like an an overdose of lasagna really. we had stuff in between so we looked fwd to it each time. and then knowing it''s healthy is a total perk.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s just the noodles..they taste better...they were kind of "eh" yesterday.

OK, I know this isn''t diet related, but I figured since I was talking about it earlier this week...

My numbers are in for work. We hit both those crazy numbers I was talking about and my business colleague just reminded my boss that he promised us French Laundry. He responded "whatever you guys want, you deserve it."

So I have it in print! I am hoping to go sometime this spring, yay!!!!!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
KimberlyH I''m sorry to hear about your loss! Hope your sore throat gets better!

Mara! For goodness sakes slow down and take it easy for abit till your tummy recovers. Make more muffins so u can be our resident taster
2.gif
instead of working out
31.gif
. n Thanks for starting the healthy recipes thread! Today we''re having guests and I''m making your artichoke dip (hee hee not very healthy I''m sure but it is so yummy!)

Ok this French Laundry thing - I have visions of a woman in french maid costume bending over and putting clothes in a front loader.
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Where is it and what is so good about it? Hubby and I love trying out nice restaurants (although FL is way tooooooo far for us at the moment
3.gif
) and are sorely missing dining out because Button is not very good in his pram and we don''t want a crying baby to disturb other diners - not a good idea when you''re trying to have a romantic candlelit dinner or something!

I have to make this lasagna, except it will be rather hard to find turkey mince here, plus the sauces, but I''m sure I can try and substitute similar stuff in it. Off to research a little!

Ohh and today I have no workout planned, but we''ll go for a long walk on the yarra near our new house which is STILL BEING BUILT! It''s taken forever too, i can''t wait till we have more space and can get a dog!

Brekkie was 2 weetbix with a handful of raspberries, and a cup of lady grey. Lunch will be banana bread. Dinner will be grilled tuna with zuchinni and tomato salsa and I am going to make a lighter version of the potato salad hubby loves as we''re going to a bbq tmr and I have been tasked with making potato salad for all. Mmmmm!

Hope everyone reached their goals this week, and enjoy the coming wkend for you guys in the northern hemisphere, and for those of us down under - it''s the wkend! Woohoo!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
woo hoo TG i''m ready. hee. congrats!!

JL..the artichoke dip is YUM. serve it with blue chips if you can find them, the color in the chips is fun.

just went to get mini bakers for the chicken pot pie this weekend, of course i can''t just get basic white ramekins for $2.50 but must be seduced by the cutie dark green mini square bakers that match some of my rectangular bakers from crate and barrel at $4.00 each. but presentation will be way cuter. when there my coworker and i went to this FAB french pastry and sandwich place at santana and she got a sandwich and i got a millefieulle (sp) which are sooo yummy. it''s like a puff pastry layered with custard and strawberries, love these things. my coworker agreed to share it with me so at least i''m only having 1/2...hehee. but i was good about not getting lunch...i just got dessert.

so lunch today, i actually forgot to report that i bought some TJ''s soup...the creamy corn and roasted red pepper one...the gal at the checkout hadn''t tried it but it''s really good. its atually pretty darn spicy...definitely not bland. so i''m having 2 cups for lunch which is 160 cals and like 3g of fat. not bad at all. and i love creamy corn. hehe. i actually could see adding some sauteed shrimp or something into it for a more hearty lunch...maybe sprinkle some parsley on top.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here's my new acquisition...the small square baker....hehee. i guess $6 each instead of $4. woopsie. super cute tho. and i can serve salsa or olives or whatever in them besides the pot pie. i could even do mini mac and cheese portions for us too. i already have a few other rectangular and square bakers in this collection so they all match. they are great for entertaining. how cute will the CPP's be in these?! hehe.

small baker.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 9:26:15 AM
Author: ellaila
14.gif
I tried the elliptical at the gym the other day and lasted about five minutes on it before crawling off it in shame. I think part of it is that I don''t know the machine whatsoever so I really don''t know anything about the different levels. Any of you elliptical users, where''s a good place for a beginner to start?? (My gym has both Precor and Cybex ellipticals, I believe.)
ellaila I have a precor at home and when I started I would put in on manual program at about resistance 3 and keep your stride speed above 100. Just do that for a few days building up. Then as your body gets used to it you can try some of the programs such as the weight loss session. If the gym one has an incline you can try adding an incline too. They are a great machine and I love how you can go backwards and it works a completely different set of muscles.
The best thing for me is the improvement in my cardio strength. I got it to lose weight but instead I have become heart healthy through using mostly the heart rate program. My resting pulse is now down to 62 and my blood pressure is now low average. I feel fantastic and the 10lb I wanted to lose will come off in time probably through more dilegent eating
1.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 4:55:40 PM
Author: katebar

Date: 1/12/2007 9:26:15 AM
Author: ellaila
14.gif
I tried the elliptical at the gym the other day and lasted about five minutes on it before crawling off it in shame. I think part of it is that I don''t know the machine whatsoever so I really don''t know anything about the different levels. Any of you elliptical users, where''s a good place for a beginner to start?? (My gym has both Precor and Cybex ellipticals, I believe.)
ellaila I have a precor at home and when I started I would put in on manual program at about resistance 3 and keep your stride speed above 100. Just do that for a few days building up. Then as your body gets used to it you can try some of the programs such as the weight loss session. If the gym one has an incline you can try adding an incline too. They are a great machine and I love how you can go backwards and it works a completely different set of muscles.
The best thing for me is the improvement in my cardio strength. I got it to lose weight but instead I have become heart healthy through using mostly the heart rate program. My resting pulse is now down to 62 and my blood pressure is now low average. I feel fantastic and the 10lb I wanted to lose will come off in time probably through more dilegent eating
1.gif
Thanks, Katebar! I have no idea what stride speed above 100 means, but hopefully it''ll make sense when I''m on the machine
2.gif
I am going to go tomorrow -- no excuses!!

I remember when I used to do the steps machines back in college that I thought I was going to die the first few times, but then very quickly I was up to 45 minutes+,so I know that I just have to get myself used to it again. But yes, the first few times are a killer, aren''t they?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results