shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 5th March till 11th March.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

can i just say how much I love this thread
30.gif

anyway, the lasagna was a HUGE hit, everyone loved it and a few even went back for seconds. The brownies were so yummy and they are gone so no leftovers for tomorrow. i made a salad with tomato and fresh alvacado and had light dressings for everyone. it was such a great meal and everyone said how nice it was to not feel stuffed or yucky for eating a heavy meal. thank you mara for posting the recipe. I copied a few others from the recipe thread and can''t wait to try them
36.gif

joining the gym tomorrow so I''ll finally be able to start really working out again and can''t wait to start reporting with the rest of you.

i agree DJ not to beat yourself up, you''re losing weight and you did excerise and those splurges are OK every once in a while.

oh and had the biggest grocery run today than I''ve had in forever. so many items were from what I''ve read here. bought the hostess cupcakes to try along with more fiber bars and larabars, a bunch of frest fruit (so glad it''s back in season and coming so much fresher here) and ingredients for the next few dinners. NO chips or processed foods other than what i mentioned and a few snacks for the kids which I hide from hubby
11.gif

I hope you all have a great night and happy friday tomorrow...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol mrs salvo i'm glad that everyone loved the lasagna! it's totally one of our faves too. i might make it again next week. i think sunday might i might make us chicken pot pies again...i have to go through my recipes and see. at least one perk of being out of work next week is i can get all creative with food options and finally make some stuff i have been eyeing in the recipe thread ...hehe.

kudos DJ and rod on having powerful workouts! hehe..sometimes i know a splurge makes me a little crazy at the gym too. oh and TG re the tension setting on the elliptical, our machines only add about something like 20 cals for every hour extra per notch on the 'hardness' scale..so if i do it on a 2 vs the 3 vs the 4 it makes an incremental difference in my 60 minute time. i typically do 3. what makes the calories rack up on our machines is how fast you move your arms/legs. aka when i go 'very slow' like a 5 or something...i burn like 1/2 the cals as when i do a 8-9.

tonite for dinner we had chili and lime chicken burgers from TJ's...omg these things were YUM!!!! greg had two and i had one...we made them with salsa and lettuce and then i baked up some alexa fries which we dipped into cocktail ketchup sauce...YUM. there needed to be way more fries, haha. dessert is going to be...yes..angel food cake with strawberries and whipped cream...mm!!

we are hitting up this symphony concert tomorrow and then we made ressies at that restaurant i mentioned for afterwards. can't wait!! i probably will have the crab cake and scallops, along with rosemary french fries and of course, dessert. yum!
3.gif
we are taking the light rail so there will be a fair amount of walking involved which is great...it'll help after dinner digestion, hehe. i am also going to the gym tomorrow...it's my last day so i'm leaving a little early to get home in time.

sounds like everyone had a great day (even DJ with her YUMMY pb splurge lol) ... keep up the great work team!! tomorrow is FRIDAY.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i totally forgot to mention, I made the brownies about 4:00 or so b/c I new my oven would be tied up with the lasanga. anyway, when the timer went off, i took the brownies out and turned the oven off. I then went on making the lasanga, waited until I needed to bake it and then placed it in the oven and set the timer again. i went outside with my sister and we all came in about 10 min. b/f dinner was done. the timer went off, i went to turn off the oven and realized, I never turned it back on from the brownies so the lasagna baked for almost and hour in a turned off oven
23.gif

luckily, my hubby called that he was coming late so I turned on the oven and baked the lasagna again. it still tasted great but I''ve got to pay better attention when I''m cooking
37.gif
. when i was in college I was home baking cookies one weekend and they were turning out flat. I finally called my mom to see what I was doing to mess up cookies and described the *flour* I was using. she started laughing and informed that the *flour* was actually bisquick and the real flour was in another tin
9.gif

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
I may have the answer to anyone trying to lose weight - get braces. UGH! I haven''t been able to chew for 9 days! Looking on the bright side, I''ve lost 3.5 pounds.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2007 11:52:14 PM
Author: bluehue
I may have the answer to anyone trying to lose weight - get braces. UGH! I haven''t been able to chew for 9 days! Looking on the bright side, I''ve lost 3.5 pounds.
LOL, I''ll have braces in a few months, after orognathic surgery to begin with! It is something I''ve faced for the last year or so knowing I will definitely lose weight unintentionally, which I don''t really like facing...so I''ve been focusing on eating really healthfully and not ignoring some cravings that involve chewing intensely, hee hee. To me, eating healthfully means I will hopefully heal faster, and maintaining my current weight/muscle mass will help me to not shrivel up so much, I guess.

Bluehue, there''s a great website: archwired.com that has been very helpful to me...it''s kind of a forum like PS where you can share your story with others and get feedback like we do here. It''s all related to adults with braces. You may find it helpful.

So tonight I am totally sore from overdoing free weights/arms last night!
8.gif
I have been religiously working my arms for the last 18 months with 10 lb. weights, but decided to get some 15 lb. dumbbells to bulk up a bit more before my surgery lest my biceps/triceps disappear (I''m very vain about my arms, lol). So I did about half of my normal workout in front of the t.v. while watching AI and felt no sort of strain or "maxed-out-ness" but two days later I am in agony! Blech. I did my normal routine with my usual 10 lb''rs tonight even though it was somewhat uncomfortable and feel ok for now, but wow, I can''t believe the difference!

I actually had a totally vegan day today, which is rare for me even though I am vegetarian. No animal products whatsoever, which has been my goal for the past year...it''s nice to be able to do this for one day...mostly I have consumed fresh veggies/salads/and some rice. Love it.
35.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 1:33:34 PM
Author: orangevixen
hi everyone!

colleen...i am in the lotto for NY marathon. have you ever run NY? put your name in...i''m running big sur int''l marathon on april 29th, so that''s why i need to try and workout 6 days a week for the next few months. i''m going to train straight through and do the SF 1/2 marathon in July, and then aim for a fall marathon (if not NY, i''m currently trying to find a decent backup).
I would love to do the NY marathon sometime, but I don''t know if this is the year. This will be my first marathon ever, and I think I want to start smaller. Plus the weather on the east coast is iffy when the NY marathon rolls around. I''ve seen absolutely beautiful days in early November, but just as many if not more rainy and cool days. I''m such a wimp that I''m not a cold weather person and despise running in it, and I don''t want a miserable experience my first marathon. I''m thinking I''m either going to do the marathon in Erie (since it''s near my hometown) or the Baltimore marathon. You might want to check out the Baltimore marathon. It''s a couple of weeks sooner than the New York Marathon, so the weather''s likely to be better. The Big Sur marathon sounds wonderful. Other than Hawaii, Big Sur is my favorite area in the world. I thought I''ve read that''s a tough marathon because it''s hilly. Is that the case?

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
For some reason, I couldn''t edit my post, but I wanted to ask a question of all you people who do long cardio workouts. I know you couldn''t have started out at 60 minutes, but when you started to ramp up your workouts, did you find that you''re really tired? So far this week I''ve done 2 45 minute workouts and 2 40 minute workouts. I usually only do 30 minute workouts. Last night my legs were so tired that I barely finished the 45 minutes. And they''re still tired today. That''s not something that happens to me very often. I want to do another at least 30 minute workout tonight, but I don''t know if my legs can take it. Did I ramp up too much, too quickly?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think go a bit more gradually Coda, when I first started back in June, I would stagger off the elliptical or treadmill, half an hour was a heck of a lot for me and I0 mins on max incline was a real challenge too. I would try and do more often but less intensity and perhaps a little less time for now and then build up gradually as you feel ready in 5 mins increments. Have you tried intervals too with varying the treadmill? That might help keep you going but avoiding overworking the legs perhaps, do a couple of mins at a greater speed or incline then drop it back etc and continue that way through the workout.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Monarch63. I''ll check it out. Good luck with your tracks. My little kids think I am the coolest.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Good Morning All!

DeeJay: No stress about the PB cups, it wasn''t the best food choice ever, but over the long term doing that once won''t kill ya! Congrats on the weight loss!! You are seriously doing terrific. Be so proud of yourself, instead of upset about a bit of a PBC fest.

Lorelei: How''s that toe?

Rod: Glad you''re sleeping a bit better.

Coda: I started off doing 30 minute elliptical workouts and then jumped to 60 minute workouts, and yes, at first it was very tiresome. You''ll adjust to it. If you find you aren''t than ease up a bit and build to the place you want to go.

So I successfully navigated the evening at Mac Grill and came in at about 1470 calories for the day. Not to shabby. We took a nice walk yesterday for my 30 minutes of moving and today is an exercise day. I have no idea what we''re doing for dinner tonight. We''re eating out tomorrow night, no clue where yet. J has been craving pizza, so perhaps I''ll make some tonight from a CL recipe or we can go out for some tomorrow night.

Have a lovely Friday everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bit better thanks Kim is my rotten old toe. I hope to workout later if I can, the bugger still hurts though...
8.gif
I wish to be slim and wonderful for next Friday''s ''do, so I had better get working!
9.gif
Next project to see if I can find a skirt to fit me, it is every bit as much of a pain with things being too tight, but not as bad though!
25.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2007 9:11:25 PM
Author: Mara
lol DJ did you eat the cups or the eggs? because the eggs are like 170 cals each according to online estimates...not better than the 88 for the smaller cups?!

also kind of a random question but you mentioned you used the elliptical for an hour and burned 570 cals but went so slow you felt like you were moving through water. when i do my elliptical workouts, i am working really fast on the elliptical, about 8-9mph speed, and i only burn about 550 cals for 60 minutes and have to go into 'warmdown' to get the extra 50-100. so i'm curious as to how you are doing it so slow and burning 570 for an hour?!!??! do tell!!

When I looked them up they were 90 cals each (link), so maybe the "packages" have two eggs in them? (At least that's what I'm hoping, because if I really ate 1800 cals of peanut butter cups yesterday, well, that would be beyond "incredible" and into the realm of tragic... )

For the elliptical I had it on incline 4 and resistance 6 for the hour. I kept the pace at around 126-128 steps/minute. Before I was doing a much higher incline, resistance AND pace, so I feel like I'm moving sooooo slowwwwwww at this rate, LOL.

Yes, yesterday turned a new leaf for me. Today I'm having coffee right now (85 cals), I'll have some oatmeal as soon as I can get into the kitchen to cook it (150 cals), a LC for lunch (290 cals) and I've got a liberal supply of bananas, pudding and yogurt sitting around to snack on. The happy hubby might cook dinner tonight but it sounds like he's coming down with a cold so that's iffy. And I'm thinking I'll be able to get another work out in tonight, plus I need to return something at lunch and I plan to take a taxi to the store (only for time reasons because I can't be gone TOO long) but walk back, which is a little over 1.1 miles. And there are all sorts of candy shops along that walk route that I'm ***NOT*** stopping in on my way back!
12.gif

I'm wavering about buying the heart rate monitor with the cal counter on it. My initial though was, oh, that way I'll be able to track the cals I burn walking to and from work too (it's about a mile each way) but then I was like, well, I've been walking both ways every day for four years now so my body is certainly used to it and those cals burned are just worked into my life at this point. And however many fewer cals I'm burning on the ellipitical than it's telling me (because I'm absolutely sure it's over-counting, although I work out on all three of them at my gym and they're pretty consistent with each other), well, frankly I might not want to know!
9.gif

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
morning everyone! i spent a couple hours last night downloading/ripping new workout music for my ipod, and i am super excited about all the new songs. what a great motivator. i also ordered a new ipod shuffle from amazon (hooray for gift certificates!). i have a mini, which i love, but i find it is a bit too heavy to clip on to my workout wear, plus i use it as my music source at home, so i get tired of having to switch it back and forth from my gym bag to docking station. so now the mini can stay at home and the shuffle can stay in the gym bag.
36.gif

i also had a new pizza discovery at a friend''s house last night - california pizza kitchen''s thin crust white pizza. it has spinach, cheese, and garlic and was crisp and yummy. half the pizza is a big serving for 450 calories. there are other flavors as well (margherita, sausage, or garlic chicken) that look to have the same nutritionals. i can''t find the low-cal TJ''s pizzas where i live, so this is a nice option for those pizza cravings.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 10:19:25 AM
Author: Lorelei
Bit better thanks Kim is my rotten old toe. I hope to workout later if I can, the bugger still hurts though...
8.gif
I wish to be slim and wonderful for next Friday''s ''do, so I had better get working!
9.gif
Next project to see if I can find a skirt to fit me, it is every bit as much of a pain with things being too tight, but not as bad though!
25.gif
Lorelei, I''m so sorry it''s still hurting! How frustrating. What a fun project, a skirt that''s too big.

I bought a few new pairs of jeans last month and let them sit in my closet for a while, they needed hemmed. I finally got around to taking them to the tailor and I wore a pair last night. The waist is actually a bit big now! And yesterday I wore a pair of size 6 capris from The Gap that once fit, but not great, got hung up for a while and pulled out of the closet yesterday, they were on the loose side as well. It''s fun to see changes in clothing. But all of my good work clothes are size 8s and now too big. I am not ready to purchase a whole new work wardrobe!!! One piece at a time will have to be the way it goes, and having those things that can be altered taken in.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh short blonde i like CPK so thanks for the tip!! maybe for when the healthy TJ pizza craving isn't being satiated...hehe.

monnie, good to see you..and fun on the vegan day..it's nice to shake things up sometimes. i am not veggie but sometimes i end up having total veggie days without even realizing it. hehe.

DJ..i dunno, i also found this link but it says one package is 1.2oz ... i guess you'd have to know what size the eggs you ate were to begin with..aka what is 0.6oz? hehe.

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/updates/2006/4/ thing is i remember being at the store looking at easter candy and everything i remember was well over 100 cals each which is why i came away with zippo. but whatever, anyway, it doesn't matter, as today is a new day and the day of eating pb eggs is behind you now!!

lorelei sorry to hear the toe is still giving you some trouble, but soon it will be in great shape, hang in there!! also maybe now is a good time to get some core work in like abs/pilates/glutes/legs...most of which you can do on all 4's or sitting down or laying down etc. i have been doing glute work 2-3x a week after reading about one exercise i was already doing sometimes and reading that it was the top fitness trainer choice for best butt exercise. hoping it'll perk up my butt a bit, it's gotten a little small...haha.

kim congrats on making it at mac grill and coming in under 1500, that's some willpower, hehee. but i guess after viewing their dessert calories, not really!! i am so paranoid now about having dessert at any chains, seems like even a regular ole piece of cake is like 900 cals or something insano. i am like gosh i could make cake at home for 300.

so unfortunately this evil cold is STILL grasping me in it's clutches. last nite i started feeling worse again and all night i was restless and congested. UGH. and tonite we have this big night planned out...i honestly don't know that i can make it through a 2 hour concert and then a late 10pm dinner. as much as i want to do this...i am thinking if i feel badly i might have greg go do this thing along and we can go to the restaurant another night. what is the point of having some fabulous dinner splurge if you can't really enjoy it? hehe. but who knows maybe i will make a miraculous recovery by 7pm tonite. hehe. it IS my last day at work. and i do want to work out since i took yesterday off. and i don't seem to feel any better or worse when working out or not, so i figure as long as i have the energy i will do a shorter workout than typically, just to get the blood flowing a bit.

breakfast this morning was cream of wheat with sugar free maple syrup, 2 slivers of multgrain toast (i say slivers because they are practically see-through, i cut part of the loaf into paper thin slices for myself, so that i can have bread for breakfast and it's only like 30 cals per sliver...but just *enough* bread to make me happy hehe) with smart balance, and coffee. along with a massive amount of echinacea, vitaminC etc etc. come on body, work with me here!!

oh and coda re workouts...i started out doing 30 minutes, i think and just ramped up slowly (aka 10 min at a time over a period of a few weeks maybe?) as to where i felt okay doing it each time. but didn't you say you have worked out every day this week? of course your legs are tired! give them a rest. it's very hard for me to maintain a daily workout schedule where i am always doing the same thing or working the same muscles. my body doesn't even really like it when i do 3x in a row...but i do that sometimes. anyway i would say take a break today and go for a long leisurely walk and STRETCH the legs out. then tomorrow get back into it. you don't want to ramp up too much too soon because it could risk an injury. also make sure you are stretching your legs at night and if you can, take a hot bath in the middle of a 3 or 4 day workout streak, or use a heating pad or something. my legs tend to rebel if i don't take care of them..and the last thing you want is some leg injury where you can't even walk much less run or do the bike or elliptical or something.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the congrats, Mara. I am not a fan of Mac Grille, so it wasn''t about willpower it was trying to find something, ANYTHING, on their menu for under 600 calories. I am disappointed that one of our two nights out to eat a week was spent there (we were invited by some friends and they chose the place as payment for J doing their taxes). John''s meal was not too great and mine was fine, but it was just a salad and low fat dressing, so not something that could easily be messed up. Sorry you aren''t feeling so well. That''s no fun. Have a great last day at work!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 11:16:33 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Thanks for the congrats, Mara. I am not a fan of Mac Grille, so it wasn''t about willpower it was trying to find something, ANYTHING, on their menu for under 600 calories. I am disappointed that one of our two nights out to eat a week was spent there (we were invited by some friends and they chose the place as payment for J doing their taxes). John''s meal was not too great and mine was fine, but it was just a salad and low fat dressing, so not something that could easily be messed up. Sorry you aren''t feeling so well. That''s no fun. Have a great last day at work!
Our nights out to eat are about fabulous food and splurging! So I wouldn''t even count that strange under 500 calories salad as a night out hehe.
5.gif
I actually love their spinach artichoke dip and their Insalata Blue is what I typically get but I haven''t been there in YEARS literally. We just don''t go to places like that very often anymore! But I do remember the extensive menu and yikes those big desserts!!

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 110px">Date: 3/9/2007 10:51:25 AM
Author: shortblonde

i also had a new pizza discovery at a friend''s house last night - california pizza kitchen''s thin crust white pizza. it has spinach, cheese, and garlic and was crisp and yummy. half the pizza is a big serving for 450 calories. there are other flavors as well (margherita, sausage, or garlic chicken) that look to have the same nutritionals. i can''t find the low-cal TJ''s pizzas where i live, so this is a nice option for those pizza cravings.
i forgot to mention, these pizzas are in the frozen section at the grocery store, NOT the restaurant!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 11:18:39 AM
Author: Mara

Date: 3/9/2007 11:16:33 AM
Author: KimberlyH
Our nights out to eat are about fabulous food and splurging! So I wouldn''t even count that strange under 500 calories salad as a night out hehe.
5.gif
I actually love their spinach artichoke dip and their Insalata Blue is what I typically get but I haven''t been there in YEARS literally. We just don''t go to places like that very often anymore! But I do remember the extensive menu and yikes those big desserts!!
They should be about fab food and splurging (which sometimes means pizza and hamburgers!), but I am just stuck in the whole 2 nights a week thing. If I eat out more often I feel guilty. J even felt bad for me, he was like "how disappointing this was one of your nights out!" which is funny because his meal was Meh, which is no big surprise, but he only eats dinner out twice a week too, and it was like he forgot that part of it!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the input, Lorelei, Kimberly, and Mara. I probably did overdue, but my legs don''t hurt any worse than when I was training for the half marathon, so I''m going to try and get one more workout in today. I like to do my workouts on weekdays because weekends are generally so busy for me. I know 5 workouts in a row isn''t ideal, but it works best for my schedule. Plus I like having 2 days to rest before the craziness starts again!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe sounds like you got it figured out then coda...have fun on the last workout day. typically i can get through a 3 or 4 day workout stretch on the last day going ITS THE LAST DAY...haha.

just went over to sbucks and got 3 petite vanilla scones, whee! so now i am stocked for next week since i won''t be back here. also got a hot plain green tea for my cold.

i came up with a fab idea for a breakfast on sunday, i can''t wait to try it. simply potatoes diced potatoes with onions, egg whites and beef chorizo...all omeletted up and eaten with our 50 cal tortillas. yum!! 3 servings and 190 cals each and then 100 cals for 2 tortillas. perfect sunday morning breakfast. did i mention i love breakfast?
3.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well my 1.1 mile walk turned into a 3 mile walk because I decided to hoof it both ways and since one store didn't have what I was looking for I went to another one further up Michigan Avenue. I did a good job of keeping moving and didn't really get stopped by many lights or flocks of tourists.

Mara, I forgort to say "happy last day at work!" to you this morning! And your weekend breakfast sounds yummy!

Coda, your body will tell you what it needs. If you're tired and/or your legs are tired it's time to take a day off.

Kimberly, sorry to hear your night out wasn't fab. But you know what IS fab? Your waistband being too big on your new jeans --you go girl!!!

Short, I'm so pysched about the California Pizza Kitchen discovery. I LOVE that place and I'm going to look up the nutrition info on my favorites and see if I can squeeze a couple of slices in every now and then.

Lorelei, careful with that toe! When I broke mine I was on the road to recovery, got up in the middle of the night to pee and kicked the wall in the dark. Woke the whole house up screaming, LOL.

Monnie, 15 lbs weights? Holy cow--that's awesome! Once I get down to my "correct" weight (whatever that might turn out to be... ) I will have to get busy with the toning so I'll be looking to you for tips.

Blue, braces would never work for me from a weight loss perspective. Can you say "milkshake"???

Rod, thanks for not beating me up over my PB cups yesterday!

Mrs. S., aren't those brownies wonderful?! I'll have to have the happy hubby make some for you when you're in town in a few weeks so you and the family have something to nibble on at the hotel!

TG, I keep thinking about how successful your no-alcohol month was but I just can't bring myself to do it. Maybe if I reach a total pleateau somewhere down the line I'll give it a shot, but right now I'd rather give up all the PB cups in the world that a nice glass of wine! (Well, maybe not, but you get the point!
2.gif
)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
random interesting note from an article i read this week at the gym.

i guess the amish typically are pretty thin and fit and yet they eat pretty heartily most of the day...having huge breakfasts and lunches and dinners with all sorts of things that WE would typically consider 'bad for us'...like bacon, sausage, lots of eggs, loaves of breads, pies, etc.

so this gal in some mag lived like the amish for a week to see if she could emulate their lifestyle and end up losing weight eating the same kinds of things.

they do a HUGE amount of walking, i guess something like 7 miles a day. with our typical sedentary office lifestyles, americans hardly walk anywhere at all, everyone goes everywhere in the CAR!

so anyway this gal basically ate huge hearty meals 3x a day...and walked everywhere in NYC. she logged about 7 miles a day as well. it took her HOURS to walk places and she was like 'gosh this takes up my whole day, just getting from point A to point B'...but their lifestyles are so simple (aka farming, making food etc) that it's not like they have to worry about being to work at 9am and home by 5pm or anything...they have such a different lifestyle. and they walk to other farmsteads and stuff, it's all walking basically. and farm work.

so she lost 3 lbs i think at the end of the week. eating like tons of bread, bacon, eggs, etc and walking the 7m a day. kinda interesting! i think it just goes to show that if americans incorporated some more exercise into their daily lifestyles, even just making time for an extra hour a day of walking or just SOMETHING more active....it could probably make so many people more fit and healthy! and it goes along with TG's whole ICU kind of thing...aka 30 minutes here or there can really add up if you do it daily!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 1:40:22 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I''m so pysched about the California Pizza Kitchen discovery. I LOVE that place and I''m going to look up the nutrition info on my favorites and see if I can squeeze a couple of slices in every now and then.

Have to go back & catch up on the rest of this thread but ... I can attest to the yumminess of the Cali White Pizza. The box won''t fit in our FREEZER though so I only get to have it if we''re coming straight home from the grocery store for dinner! Oh with white wine it is to die for!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and by the way here is a great site for getting nutritional info on a ton of fast food and restaurant chains...
http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp

and also a list at the bottom of people they were not able to get nutritional information from.

kinda interesting!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Mara - are the chili lime chicken burgers in the freezer section? I haven''t seen those. I got some "southwest turkey burgers" there at one point that were sort of disappointing.

Coda - I worked up to 50 minutes biking pretty quickly. I had been running a tiny bit (like 5 miles/week) and doing the elliptical like once a week before that. I think I did one 20 min, one 30 min, a week of 40 min, a week of 45, and I''m now on my second week of 50 min each. I think for running though, you aren''t supposed to increase that quickly because there''s a lot of injuries associated with the impact on your joints and the stress on your tendons that aren''t as much of a risk with lower impact activities like biking or the elliptical. I know that the rule I followed was the 10% rule - don''t increase your mileage more than 10% a week. I took about 8 months to build up from 0 to 30 miles a week and ran a half marathon. Then I basically stopped for 2 months cause of my job hours at the time. When I started back up, I figured I could start at 15 miles/week and increase quickly to 20 and 25 because I had been doing it previously. Bam, bilateral achilles tendonidis which sidelined me for a good 3 months. Other typical runner''s injuries like ITBS, plantar fasciitis, patellar-femoral syndrome can be aggravated by increasing your mileage too quickly. If it''s just your muscles that hurt then it''s probably not causing any serious damage, but still, be careful increasing your mileage that quickly! I don''t know if you''ve come across it, but I really liked the Coolrunning site for running programs and running information.

Shortblonde - thanks for the tip about the california pizza kitchen pizzas. Unfortunately, I bet I''d still be tempted to eat the whole thing!

Monarch - 15 pounds is really impressive! I''m working with 8s and 10s mostly now, though I still have to drop down to 5s for some exercises. I so wish they made 11 or 12 pound weights, because it seems the jump from 10 to 15 is huge!

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
Mara, I totally agree on the activity thing. If only we weren''t tied to the office chair 8 or 10 hours (12 in my case) a day, we''d be a lot more fit without having to go to the gym or count calories so strictly. Everytime FI and I go on vacation, we end up walking at least 10 miles a day (we are not lounge vacationers) and we eat tons of whatever we want, but at the end of the trip, we didn''t gain any weight.

On a side note, my mom always says that we in this country overindulge in too many bad things and as a result, have to work so hard to stay slim. As Asians, we had a big bowl of white rice at every meal and had lots of stirfry and fried foods (scallion pancakes, fried dumplings, etc). She said people in Asia lived this way for thousands of years and never had weight problems until westerners introduced things like McDonalds and cheese and crazy desserts.

Funny thing, I wondered if it was the growth hormones used in the US that was contributing to people gaining weight. I have to work pretty hard and watch my diet to stay skinny, but last summer we spent 3 weeks in China. I would literally have 10 of these sticky rice dumplings every morning for breakfast (had 10 b/c they are not to be found here and I wanted to eat enough to last me a few years) that must have been at least 500 calories. And then we''d have a hearty lunch and dinner filled with fried/sugary snacks during the day. When I got back home, I saw that I had lost 3 pounds. Has anyone else experienced this?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

DeeJay, it was very hard for me to give up wine for a month. Weekdays not so much of a problem (in fact, I haven''t had any this week), but weekends are tough tough tough. We all such social drinkers and my friends open up wonderful bottles, so it''s hard to resist! I have myself a little room and allowed myself a sip if anything really awesome was opened. Then, if it was worth it, I was allowed 2 ounces (basically a tasting pour). I actually only had to take the 2 ounces once during the month. For the most part TGuy tasted the wine, and I asked him if was worth breaking the streak for. Normally the answer was no, but I don''t know if that was because he was trying to support me. The first weekend was the worst, but I found that like working out, when you start seeing results, it''s easier to continue. Once I got into the second weekend, I was like, "oh, this isn''t that bad. Surely I can last for 2 weeks!" And I did. It''s mostly mental...to see if I could do it. Because there really wasn''t a physical reason for me to give up wine...I''m healthy, and I don''t overindulge anyway. It was just nice to do something challenging for a month.

Interesting article Mara! My guess is that is what happened to me in europe. I dranks massive amounts of beer, had lots of steaks and still lost weight. At one point, TGuy and I figured we were walkiing 10-15 miles a day. Hour and hours and hours of walking...and often hiking. I lost 10 pounds even after seriously indulging.

So that motivates for me for ICU today. I am taking pilates, but I am going to drive to my friends house and we are walking to the studio. 25 minutes each way, so that will be 50 minutes of ICUs!

brekky was cereal and snack was a muffin. I think I have been heavy on carbs this week so lunch will be a salad and soup.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Monarch -- What type of exercises do you do for your biceps/triceps? I really need to start working on mine for spring. I''d like to add in some extra things that I could do for a quick arm workout in front of the tv.

Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TG the whole walking to class sounds like a great idea!! tonite we are supposed to do a fair amount of walking from the light rail over to the concert then back over to the restaurant then back to the light rail.

i decided i am not going to the gym tonite...i just cannot work a few more hours (and finish training the new gal), work out, then go home and get ready for 5 hours out of the house with this cold, it''s slamming me. and i don''t want to bail on tonite, because greg is really excited about the concert and dinner...soooo..i am just going to go home after work (early) and TRY to take a nap for an hour or two. also with the walking we''ll be doing tonite, i will be active at least. and tomorrow hopefully i feel better and i will be able to either do my long 1hr walk or hit up the gym. and i already got an ICU walk to sbucks in this morning, hehe. and we might walk over to the sprint store later this afternoon.

i also figure next week since i am not working i can do whatever i want with my time. so if i want i can do a walk each day and a workout or something. definitely got the time next week to make up for today...!!
2.gif

lunch is going to be my TJ''s bean and rice burrito even though the company is catering bad chinese in again. i do like the veggies and chicken from this place, so i might eat some veggies. or i might not. we''ll see. snack is a 0% fage with honey and splenda, i can''t wait!! i need to get some more fage, i blew threw my two in 3 days this week. hehee.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results