shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 5th March till 11th March.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
Dee*Jay!! Shame on you! 900 calories from candy! No more next time okay?

All this talk about the ipod shuffle makes ME want to get one too.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know... I can''t believe it myself. I had to go back and count the # of candy wrappers in my garbage can to even figure out how many there were.

"Amazed" is right ellaila. Ug.

Yes Mara, I am back to the gym TONIGHT.

Sevenwires, shame on me is right!!! But that is why I confessed it here. I knew that you would all react (as well you should--this is outrageous!) and that would shame me into being better.

And I know I''m gonna get a tongue-lashing from Rod later too... (
7.gif
) Can I just say I''m very sorry in advance and you don''t have to type it all out Rod?

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Does your tummy hurt?

If so, pepto is my go to drug of choice ---- It will help your workout when you don''t feel as bloated....

Mer

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2007 4:41:48 PM
Author: merrijoy
Does your tummy hurt?

If so, pepto is my go to drug of choice ---- It will help your workout when you don''t feel as bloated....

Mer

I wish my tummy DID hurt because then I might be less inclined to do something like this again, LOL...

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 4:36:53 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I know... I can''t believe it myself. I had to go back and count the # of candy wrappers in my garbage can to even figure out how many there were.

''Amazed'' is right ellaila. Ug.

Sevenwires, shame on me is right!!! But that is why I confessed it here. I knew that you would all react (as well you should--this is outrageous!) and that would shame me into being better.

7.gif
) Can I just say I''m very sorry in advance and you don''t have to type it all out Rod?
Enquiring minds want to know -- what did you eat?? I figured it was like a big box of something, like a box of Godivas or something -- but it was actually just candy bars?

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
I think 3 candy bars can easily get you to 900 cals...

ETA: Did you guys do candy bars when you were really young at sleepovers. I think there were times when we probably had that many in an evening, plus pizza.....

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
It''s amazing how many calories we consume as kids. When I was in elementary school, I''d go to the neighborhood deli after school to pick up a snack and I used to love those individually wrapped snacks for a quarter, like the Little Debbie brownies, or choco-marshmallow cookies, etc. I remember I sometimes would buy 4 of them for a dollar and eat all 4 before my mom picked me up. Then I''d go home and munch on chips while doing homework and later was dinner and ice cream afterwards. Just last month FI and I were in one of those delis and I randomly picked one of those snacks to show him what I used to like to eat and then I looked at the nutritional info on the back and it said 350 calories with some really high number for fat!! I was shocked
6.gif
350 calories x 4 = 1400 calories just for an afternoon snack! That was how many calories I consume in a whole day now. Really amazing.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

Something that may help going forward.

When I want a snack (my sugar-free Russell Stover chocolates), I''m very deliberate about taking out the number of pieces I can have from the bag and putting the rest of the bag away. Once I eat the ones I''ve allowed myself, it''s gone and it''s done.

It helps me be more conscious of how many I''m having. I think mine are 3 pieces for 150 calories, so I usually take out just two. Then I make it a point to get at least four bites from each piece, and to take them SLOWLY.

Then, if I really WANT the third piece, I have to go back to the drawer/cabinet whatever to get it.

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 5:04:00 PM
Author: eleguin
It''s amazing how many calories we consume as kids. When I was in elementary school, I''d go to the neighborhood deli after school to pick up a snack and I used to love those individually wrapped snacks for a quarter, like the Little Debbie brownies, or choco-marshmallow cookies, etc. I remember I sometimes would buy 4 of them for a dollar and eat all 4 before my mom picked me up. Then I''d go home and munch on chips while doing homework and later was dinner and ice cream afterwards. Just last month FI and I were in one of those delis and I randomly picked one of those snacks to show him what I used to like to eat and then I looked at the nutritional info on the back and it said 350 calories with some really high number for fat!! I was shocked
6.gif
350 calories x 4 = 1400 calories just for an afternoon snack! That was how many calories I consume in a whole day now. Really amazing.
I was nodding my head the whole time reading this, been there, done that, but I was a normal child, I have never been overweight, just always wanted to lose 10 pounds....

It is so amazing how many calories we consumed as kids - so say on a day you posted above, with all the snacks, do you think your cals then were close to 3000??

What do you all think is the daily calorie intake of the average American? And the average American child??
I also wonder what it is in other countries...

I know for sure it is not even close to 1500 in America......

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2007 4:53:27 PM
Author: ellaila

7.gif
Enquiring minds want to know -- what did you eat?? I figured it was like a big box of something, like a box of Godivas or something -- but it was actually just candy bars?

Oh god... See confessing this part makes it even worse. It wasn''t even something that *good.* It was peanutbutter cups. Please don''t make me say how many... just trust me, there were a lot...

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
You have a mighty strong stomach...Mine would be so sick...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha i love PB cups. i have had one in my desk drawer for...*drumroll* 5 months...since October/Halloween. i just like having it there. lol! i probably will never even eat it. i also have had 2 three muskeeters snack bars in there too. since Halloween.

as for how many, well a PB cup is like 150 cals or something right? so about 6 of them? hehee.

anyway, you did it, now get over it and move on. we all have those days, anyone remember my 2700 cal day anyone? or my 3000 one last week? hahaha. and somehow i didn't gain a lb. i think i even lost. you can make it up, don't worry.

sometimes splurges like that DO make you think twice next time. since that 2700 cal day where i ate whatever i wanted 2 saturdays ago i have been even more disciplined with myself because that reminded me...'hey you know what? stuffing your face whenever you want DOES NOT make you feel more full, any better, any happier...it just makes you feel CRAPPY!'...and it wasn't even gourmet restaurant food, lol.

sometimes i look at the candy at the market and i get sad. i think...ignorance is bliss. i will probably hardly ever have a snickers bar again. i will hardly ever eat Cadbury's Easter Eggs again. i will hardly ever just take a big hunk of cake at a party without knowing what i am consuming. but on the other hand, i DO enjoy fabulous desserts out when it counts. i DO enjoy things at home that i make for us that are healthy. so what's the trade off? i look wonderful, feel fabulous...is snickers worth it? hehee.

remember the 80/20 rule! 80% good and 20% bad is okay.

so speaking of 20% bad...today going to Erik's I had my 1/2 sandwich and soup and i decided to have a small root beer. i haven't had a soda in about 6 months?! anyway...i filled the small cup with a ton of ice then root beer. so i figure 8 oz. it was yummy.

i really wish i had a 0% fage here...boohoo. i am so tempted to go to TJ's just to get one. lol. snacks for this afternoon are going to be a 65 cal cookie from my coworker, a 60 cal yogurt, and a 100 cal kudos bar (there's my chocolate fix right there).

oh yeah and re: the foods we ate as kids...i ate pretty healthy overall but now sometimes i look at things we used to eat and i'm like gosh they have a lot of cals!! how did i not grow up chubby? then i realized that i was really ACTIVE as a child, there's the key. way less tv and video games than kids now, and more exercise and playing outside and games etc.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2007 5:25:47 PM
Author: Mara

as for how many, well a PB cup is like 150 cals or something right? so about 6 of them? hehee.

A HUNDRED AND FIFTY CALORIES EACH??? OMG -- that''s even worse than I calculated then. Holy sh!t...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe well actually according to calorie-count.com my 150 guesstimate is off (whew!)...

1 0.6oz single cup (smaller than the ones in 2 packs): 88 cals
1 pack of 2 0.8oz single cups: 232 cals

so i guess the ones in 2 packs are bigger, like 115 cals per cup. so which did you eat? hhee. lol this is making me want to eat the one in my drawer!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara, I decided to try and make your turkey lasagna tonight for dinner. Well about and hour ago my uncle called and he''s in town with my other uncle and they wanted to meet us out for dinner. When they called back to discuss where to go I asked them to just come to my house since I was making plenty of food and there would be more than enough and they accepted. So, it better be good
23.gif
and I also bought the no pudge brownie mix for dessert
6.gif
the good news is, they are both heatlhy eaters so I''m sure they will appreciate the good health factor..they''ll be here it a bit..I''ll let you all know how it goes...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha NO PRESSURE mrs s!!! how did you make it? because i have posted adapted recipes of it...aka diff ssauces, diff mushrooms etc. but it will not be as good if you didn''t make the sauce and let it sit at least like 6-8 hours. just a warning!! it will be way better tasting tomorrow then. anyway, good luck and no pudge brownies, yum...if you have any slow churned ice cream, heat the brownies up in the micro for a second or two, then put a scoop of ice cream and some fat free whipped on top and you''ve got a healthy dessert!

lol i just spent 30 minutes on calorie-count.com looking up their restaurant calorie poster...all sorts of interesting things on there!! for example, taco bell''s beef burrito supreme is like 240g and 440 cals, el pollo loco''s chicken burrito is 270g and 600ish cals, and una mas''s chicken burrito is like 440g and 700cals! so taco bell doesn''t look quite so bad haha. and the sizes of these burritos, like the TB one comes out to be like 9oz..the el pollo is 10.5oz and the una mas is like 13oz. almost a lb of food!!

i am compiling a little list of ''favorite things'' from websites like that so that i can quickly look at something, aka our evil guilty splurge is dennys...we go there like 2x a year, typically after a late concert of greg''s when we need to eat something but it''s like 11pm...and nothing is open. i get the super bird and seasoned fries, side of ranch and a strawberry shake. well color me surprised, the super bird is like 620 cals, seasoned fries are 240, ranch is like 120...NOT as bad as i would have thought. BUT strawberry shake is like 600! actually they don''t have strawberry as an option on these calorie things but they have vanilla and it''s like 500 and then strawberry syrup/strawberries is like 100 so i figure about 600. WOW! so im like well next time we go there at least i know i can get my other stuff, just not the shake, lol. but a root beer float...surprisingly only like 150 cals. so i can always replace my shake with the float lol and still get a treat going on. and still be like around 1150 for the whole meal (on a weekend) which is not bad at all considering at a 4 star restaurant with all the bread and desserts and all that i end up eating probably more like 1500!

so anyway, i find that kind of number crunching fun...hehee. of course if i still wanted the strawberry shake i WOULD get it, but now that i know what it''s worth, probably not. plus i love me a good float.
3.gif

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
mrssalvo -- oh the lasagna is good! If you like it a little spicy.. you can add crushed red pepper to the turkey while you''re cooking it.. and depending on how spicy you can take... you can add more or less. I like mine really spicey. I had a few Korean friends come over and they loved it! Korean people LOVE spicy food!

For snacks today I brought:

-1 100 cal pack popcorn
-1 100 cal pack hostess cupcake
-1 keebler peanut butter cookie (200 calories) -- a bit high. It''s 6 cookies.. so I split that into 2 seperate snack times.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i totally agree re adding spices...i always add more oregano and also red pepper while the meat is cooking up. and sometimes i do a blend of turkey and lean beef for extra flavor!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mara, I used the kickin tomato sauce but did used just regular sliced mushrooms. it will have close to 6 hours in the frigde so I hope it turns out ok. it all smelled really good while I was cooking it. I normally follow a recipe to the letter the first time I make it and then make my own changes after I get an idea what I like. I guess if it doesn''t turn out we can always order pizza
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 6:15:47 PM
Author: mrssalvo
mara, I used the kickin tomato sauce but did used just regular sliced mushrooms. it will have close to 6 hours in the frigde so I hope it turns out ok. it all smelled really good while I was cooking it. I normally follow a recipe to the letter the first time I make it and then make my own changes after I get an idea what I like. I guess if it doesn''t turn out we can always order pizza
3.gif
oh perfect!! the kickin tomato is my fave. i just bought one at the store the other day to keep on hand since lsat time it was sold out. it should be spicy enough with the kickin tomato. and regular mushrooms is fine...!! mmm.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2007 5:35:13 PM
hehe well actually according to calorie-count.com my 150 guesstimate is off (whew!)...

1 0.6oz single cup (smaller than the ones in 2 packs): 88 cals

1 pack of 2 0.8oz single cups: 232 cals

so i guess the ones in 2 packs are bigger, like 115 cals per cup. so which did you eat? hhee. lol this is making me want to eat the one in my drawer!

I''m not sure which I ate... They were the ones that come in a big bag of mixed candy. Not that either scenario is *good* but I''m definitely hoping it was the 88 cal version and not the 115 cal version.

As soon as I get done sending this monster fax to some mortgage company for my client I am off to an hour at the gym!!!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Deejay, I''m sure I''ve eaten 900 cals of peanut butter cups before. That''s nothing! Don''t worry about it, I wouldn''t even change your dinner plans. Just keep going on with what you''re doing, which is obviously working if you''ve lost 13 lbs! Some people do stuff like that every day. I was talking to this co-worker of mine who was taking care of a patient who ate 33,000 calories a day. Every day. No wonder he was getting gastric bypass - but I imagine he could have lost weight without surgery if he just ate 10,000 calories, which would still be a ton.

Anyway, I''ve been noticing that this thread makes me buy food. My refrigerator and my cupboard are overflowing with these items that I hear about here and then buy, but I buy it with such frequency that it just accumulates, since there''s only one of me here eating it. Really need to lay off buying food for a while until I eat up what I have. Today I bought 2 packs of dulce de leche pudding and 2 boxes of fiberone cereal bars, because they were randomly both on sale. But that''s the last purchase until the rest of it is gone!

Workout was 1 hour strength, and 50 minutes bike. Really really didn''t want to bike today cause my legs were already tired, I had a headache, and I wanted a nap, but I did it anyway. Now I''m glad I did. That''s always the way it works with exercise - I never regret that I actually went and did it, but I always regret if I didn''t.

Breakfast: 3 waffles, sugar free syrup 256 cals
Lunch: we had catered Chinese today. I looove Chinese food, but I didn''t want to spend up all my calories. I took what I think was about 1/4 cup white rice, 1/3 cup veggies in sauce, 1 shrimp, some green beans, and 1/4 cup (4 bites) lo mein. I skipped the General Tso''s chicken, egg rolls, and fried rice. I thought the calorie calculations I looked up were sort of low, so I added in an extra tblsp of oil just in case. 360 cals
Snack: my new Fiberone bar - yumm!! 140 cals
Dinner: TJ''s Shepherd''s pie, salad with lowfat caesar and a dulce de leche pudding (also yummy!!) 545 cals

Total 1300, which means I get a 200 cal snack (popcorn+blackberries, or maybe a salmon sandwich) later

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone
35.gif

Just checkin'' in. I''m back to my regular workout schedule but I like Mondays the best (1 hour of Jujitsu/Boxing).

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol basil i hear ya re: the shopping and recommendations. our fridge and pantry are PACKED with stuff. i could literally just eat out of there for the next 2 weeks and be fine. i am a hoarder too when things are on sale or new...speaking of my friend and i just went to the store to get a short walk/outing in and i found snackwells mint devil''s food cookies. 50 cals each and 0.5g of fat. and tastes like THIN MINTS. i have been looking for a thin mint substitution since no way am i getting a box of those things, 4 tiny thin cookies at 160 cals? NO. these are at least like twice as fat for almost the same amount of cals, and lowfat too. so i am jazzed bout that find. i gave a few away at work so now i have less...perfect. hehee. also i got some shirataki spaghetti noodles which randomly were at the safeway (regular store here)...i hadn''t seen them there before. so i will def have those next week!

so snacks today were a hodgepodge of small stuff, a 65 cal cookie from my friend, 1/2 a hostess cupcake pack (we shared it), a 50 cal cookie (but i gave a piece to my coworker), and 1/2 a protein water. i think i mentioned this before but dinner is the TJ''s chili and lime burgers with wheat buns, salsa, and lettuce along with alexa baked sea salt fries...yum! and dessert of course, the angel food with strawberries and whipped!!
18.gif

no workout today, but i got 2 walks in over to the starbucks and the grocery store where we walked around for 10 minutes, hehe. i love outings like that, i will def miss that about this job..having stuff all closeby. oh well! next week i will be off and doing interviews and stuff so i can at least work out whenever i want and take extra walks, hehe.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back from an hour at the gym to the tune of 570 cals (about half of those damn peanut butter cups, LOL). Going slow enough to keep my heartrate low (around 130) is almost torturous. I''m going so slow (in a realtive sense) that I feel like I''m moving under water. The good news is I had virtually no chest pain, but the bad news is I''m dying to just let loose and crank that elliptical up to a 700 cal/hour workout!

I looked up the Reese''s peanut butter eggs on line and I was about right at 900 cals. So I will end the day at 1665 total. And the crazy thing is I''m more of a "salt" that a "sweet" person so you would think my craziness would have had more to do with potato chips than candy. Go figure.

Thanks all for appropriately chastizing me but not *totally* beating me up over today''s debacle. That''s what I love about you guys--you''re supportive for diet/working out but still recognize that we''re all human!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/8/2007 7:44:26 PM
lol basil i hear ya re: the shopping and recommendations. our fridge and pantry are PACKED with stuff. i could literally just eat out of there for the next 2 weeks and be fine. i am a hoarder too when things are on sale or new...speaking of my friend and i just went to the store to get a short walk/outing in and i found snackwells mint devil''s food cookies. 50 cals each and 0.5g of fat. and tastes like THIN MINTS. i have been looking for a thin mint substitution since no way am i getting a box of those things, 4 tiny thin cookies at 160 cals? NO. these are at least like twice as fat for almost the same amount of cals, and lowfat too. so i am jazzed bout that find. i gave a few away at work so now i have less...perfect. hehee. also i got some shirataki spaghetti noodles which randomly were at the safeway (regular store here)...i hadn''t seen them there before. so i will def have those next week!

so snacks today were a hodgepodge of small stuff, a 65 cal cookie from my friend, 1/2 a hostess cupcake pack (we shared it), a 50 cal cookie (but i gave a piece to my coworker), and 1/2 a protein water. i think i mentioned this before but dinner is the TJ''s chili and lime burgers with wheat buns, salsa, and lettuce along with alexa baked sea salt fries...yum! and dessert of course, the angel food with strawberries and whipped!!
18.gif

no workout today, but i got 2 walks in over to the starbucks and the grocery store where we walked around for 10 minutes, hehe. i love outings like that, i will def miss that about this job..having stuff all closeby. oh well! next week i will be off and doing interviews and stuff so i can at least work out whenever i want and take extra walks, hehe.
Funny you mentioned Thin Mints, Mara. I purchased three boxes of girl scout cookies but plan on giving the cookies away to folks in my office building.
So tempting
7.gif
but I''m so disciplined these days. They should be called Heavy Mints
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol DJ did you eat the cups or the eggs? because the eggs are like 170 cals each according to online estimates...not better than the 88 for the smaller cups?!

also kind of a random question but you mentioned you used the elliptical for an hour and burned 570 cals but went so slow you felt like you were moving through water. when i do my elliptical workouts, i am working really fast on the elliptical, about 8-9mph speed, and i only burn about 550 cals for 60 minutes and have to go into ''warmdown'' to get the extra 50-100. so i''m curious as to how you are doing it so slow and burning 570 for an hour?!!??! do tell!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2007 9:11:25 PM
lol DJ did you eat the cups or the eggs? because the eggs are like 170 cals each according to online estimates...not better than the 88 for the smaller cups?!

also kind of a random question but you mentioned you used the elliptical for an hour and burned 570 cals but went so slow you felt like you were moving through water. when i do my elliptical workouts, i am working really fast on the elliptical, about 8-9mph speed, and i only burn about 550 cals for 60 minutes and have to go into ''warmdown'' to get the extra 50-100. so i''m curious as to how you are doing it so slow and burning 570 for an hour?!!??! do tell!!
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe a higher tension setting?

Fun reading this thread today. DJ, you crack me up. But at least after the PB splurge you came here, got motivated and worked out!

Busy day for me today, as I worked outside the office. Lunch was a TJs pizza since I needed some sustenance, but when I came home at 4, I was starving! I had a muffin, 100 cal popcorn and a banana within an hour! Then I went out and skated 10 miles, so at least that is good. That''s at least 500 cal burned.

I hit my goal of 2000 cals burned for the week, so that extra workout on Monday helped. I still have a pilates class tomorrow too!

btw, lovelylulu, I did find that the weight came off faster during my Jan booze hiatus too. So maybe that has something to do with it. However, I am not tempted to do it again...one month was enough!

Hope everyone has a great evening!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium

7.gif
No tongue lashing DeeJay......I hope you enjoyed your sugar rush!! Sometimes, we just have to let go and have a bit of unadulterated, decadent, over the top, fun!! I surely did last night and it was good. Sounds like you did too!! Plus good news on the weight loss, and I don''t think your hard earned muscle is disappearing that quickly.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

I slept margianlly better last night. Still feeling too much uncertainty (and no news, other than that my contact IM''ed me to say she still wants to bring me back, but it may take a couple weeks, so we''ll see??) and when I''m stressed, I just don''t sleep well. At least my back is not responding negatively to the stress and I have to believe all the extra core strength training is really helping on that front.

Work is still super busy. All the big bosses return tomorrow from the cruise, so it should be a fun day. But no workout tomorrow, it''s Friday and Sushi Night!!

I got to the gym a little after six tonight and like DeeJay, felt I needed to work harder to overcome last night''s indulgent, but oh so yummy, not so healthy fried chicken dinner. So, I worked out really hard and wound up pulling a 2.5 hour session, with of course the requisite 35 intense minutes on the elliptical. I traveled 7.46 miles and burned 534 calories in those 35 minutes!!

Have a great Friday everyone. And DeeJay, you might want to avoid candy shops for a couple days........LOL!!!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results