shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 5th Feb till 11th Feb

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2007 10:21:18 PM
Author: Rod

Date: 2/7/2007 4:38:22 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant
Hi everyone...just one of the guys checkin'' in.
I danced a little too much on Saturday night and I''m suffering from some hip pain,
therefore...no exercise this week. Tough getting old
7.gif

You just can''t win sometimes.
Un Huh......and your point is my friend?????? Do NOT allow yourself to get old. Get back in the gym and work through that pain. It''s worked for me everytime I''ve pulled something or pushed some muscles too much. I get right back in the gym and thepain goes away so much faster than rest would permit.

Anyway, good to hear from you. You''ve got to come back more often. We''re still the only two guys on this thread. And while we love our gals very much, we need the male perspective too!!
31.gif
great advice Rod! You know me (Mr. positive thinker). I will go to the gym on Friday and workout.
Have a great day everyone!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/7/2007 10:29:28 PM
Hey........I have felt a little off this week and even had a day of feeling chilled. Of course the fact that I'm living in a climate that got really cold all of the sudden could have helped, but still, I have been a little off. But, I didn't let it stop me from hitting the gym the past two nights like usual. In fact, after each workout, I felt better than before I went to the gym. I'm convinced the endorphens released in a wokout actually make you feel better, even if you're not feeling 100%. Plus if there was something brewing in my system, working out at the gym seems to be keeping it at bay.

On the scale, we've both noticed we've each gained about 4 pounds over the last few weeks. Now, we know we're not eating more. And we know we're not working out less. In fact, we're increasing the weights. And I've actually been working on unassisted chin ups. That may not sound like much, but believe me, unassisted chin ups are really really tough. And I can now do three sets of 5 alternating with 3 sets of 15 unassisted dips. It's amazing at 52 that I've developed enough muscle to accomplish something like this!!!
36.gif

Tomorrow, will be our third day in a row at the gym like normal. So, I'll check in tomorrow night after our workout.

Take care Team PS!!
Folks...you gotta admire this man
35.gif
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 9:30:20 AM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Date: 2/7/2007 10:29:28 PM
Hey........I have felt a little off this week and even had a day of feeling chilled. Of course the fact that I'm living in a climate that got really cold all of the sudden could have helped, but still, I have been a little off. But, I didn't let it stop me from hitting the gym the past two nights like usual. In fact, after each workout, I felt better than before I went to the gym. I'm convinced the endorphens released in a wokout actually make you feel better, even if you're not feeling 100%. Plus if there was something brewing in my system, working out at the gym seems to be keeping it at bay.

On the scale, we've both noticed we've each gained about 4 pounds over the last few weeks. Now, we know we're not eating more. And we know we're not working out less. In fact, we're increasing the weights. And I've actually been working on unassisted chin ups. That may not sound like much, but believe me, unassisted chin ups are really really tough. And I can now do three sets of 5 alternating with 3 sets of 15 unassisted dips. It's amazing at 52 that I've developed enough muscle to accomplish something like this!!!
36.gif

Tomorrow, will be our third day in a row at the gym like normal. So, I'll check in tomorrow night after our workout.

Take care Team PS!!
Folks...you gotta admire this man
35.gif
36.gif
Absolutely!!!!!!!

I can do one unassisted chin up....
25.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well after my cold garage forage last night it was indeed hot chocolate and not pudding that I wanted! (Lorelei -- I tried to find a pic of the Swiss Miss girl to put in my post but instead of the innocent pigtailed cartoon girl I ended up on a bunch of **** sites. Is there NOTHING left in this world that can't be made dirty?!?)

Today the happy hubby and I walked to work together and I decided that I deserved a coffee on the way in. I'm having grits and toast for breakfast. (Does anyone else like grits? My dad lives in North Carolina and when I visit him I make us go out for breakfast every morning so I can get a big bowl of real southern grits -- YUM! Every year with my Christmas presents he includes a couple of boxes of the instant variety [like we can't buy them here in Chicago--but he means well] and a few times a year I remember that I have them and dig around in the pantry to locate them. Lorelei, sorry if you want grits now!)

No gym for me tonight because I'm visiting the accountant tonight. Frankly I would rather have a root canal without novacaine. Maybe if she just drags out our meeting for an hour my heart rate will be sustained at such a high rate while I wait for her to tell me what I owe the government I will get as much benefit as if I *had* worked out...

And I'm not sure I can do the 700 cal thing at the gym very time I must confess. It was indeed a challange (but maybe that's the *point* LOL) and my heart rate was at 90-95% of my rate the whole time.

Which leads to Dee's stupid question of the day: If you work really hard at the gym the next day your leg muscles (for instance) are sore. But, if you bring your heart rate up to a level that it rarely (maybe *never*) gets to, and the heart is a muscle, how come your heart doesn't ache the next day too? (OK, everyone feel free to laugh now any my stupidity, but I'm really curious... )

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 9:37:45 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
Well after my cold garage forage last night it was indeed hot chocolate and not pudding that I wanted! (Lorelei -- I tried to find a pic of the Swiss Miss girl to put in my post but instead of the innocent pigtailed cartoon girl I ended up on a bunch of **** sites. Is there NOTHING left in this world that can't be made dirty?!?)

Today the happy hubby and I walked to work together and I decided that I deserved a coffee on the way in. I'm having grits and toast for breakfast. (Does anyone else like grits? My dad lives in North Carolina and when I visit him I make us go out for breakfast every morning so I can get a big bowl of real southern grits -- YUM! Every year with my Christmas presents he includes a couple of boxes of the instant variety [like we can't buy them here in Chicago--but he means well] and a few times a year I remember that I have them and dig around in the pantry to locate them. Lorelei, sorry if you want grits now!)

No gym for me tonight because I'm visiting the accountant tonight. Frankly I would rather have a root canal without novacaine. Maybe if she just drags out our meeting for an hour my heart rate will be sustained at such a high rate while I wait for her to tell me what I owe the government I will get as much benefit as if I *had* worked out...

And I'm not sure I can do the 700 cal thing at the gym very time I must confess. It was indeed a challange (but maybe that's the *point* LOL) and my heart rate was at 90-95% of my rate the whole time.

Which leads to Dee's stupid question of the day: If you work really hard at the gym the next day your leg muscles (for instance) are sore. But, if you bring your heart rate up to a level that it rarely (maybe *never*) gets to, and the heart is a muscle, how come your heart doesn't ache the next day too? (OK, everyone feel free to laugh now any my stupidity, but I'm really curious... )
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what Swiss Miss choc would be like done in a Magic Bullet???
41.gif

No worries with the grits, I don't like 'em!

merrijoy

Shiny_Rock
Well after my cold garage forage last night it was indeed hot chocolate and not pudding that I wanted! (Lorelei -- I tried to find a pic of the Swiss Miss girl to put in my post but instead of the innocent pigtailed cartoon girl I ended up on a bunch of **** sites. Is there NOTHING left in this world that can''t be made dirty?!?)

Today the happy hubby and I walked to work together and I decided that I deserved a coffee on the way in. I''m having grits and toast for breakfast. (Does anyone else like grits? My dad lives in North Carolina and when I visit him I make us go out for breakfast every morning so I can get a big bowl of real southern grits -- YUM! Every year with my Christmas presents he includes a couple of boxes of the instant variety [like we can''t buy them here in Chicago--but he means well] and a few times a year I remember that I have them and dig around in the pantry to locate them. Lorelei, sorry if you want grits now!)

No gym for me tonight because I''m visiting the accountant tonight. Frankly I would rather have a root canal without novacaine. Maybe if she just drags out our meeting for an hour my heart rate will be sustained at such a high rate while I wait for her to tell me what I owe the government I will get as much benefit as if I *had* worked out...

And I''m not sure I can do the 700 cal thing at the gym very time I must confess. It was indeed a challange (but maybe that''s the *point* LOL) and my heart rate was at 90-95% of my rate the whole time.

Which leads to Dee''s stupid question of the day: If you work really hard at the gym the next day your leg muscles (for instance) are sore. But, if you bring your heart rate up to a level that it rarely (maybe *never*) gets to, and the heart is a muscle, how come your heart doesn''t ache the next day too? (OK, everyone feel free to laugh now any my stupidity, but I''m really curious... )
I do not have an answer, but this made me smile and I find your question really cute and endearing (in a good way, of course
1.gif
).
Thank you for the smile.
Meredith

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not silly at all with the heart question - interesting - Lisa where are you? I am wondering as cardiac muscle tissue would differ from other muscle tissue in makeup, I hope Lisa checks in as she might have some thoughts.
34.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 9:42:47 AM
Author: Lorelei

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! I wonder what Swiss Miss choc would be like done in a Magic Bullet???
41.gif

Oh my -- imagine what sort of sites you would be led to if you typed in "Swiss Miss, Magic Bullet, and ***whipped cream***"
23.gif
I bet there would even be polo ponies and cheerleaders involved...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 9:42:48 AM
Author: merrijoy

Which leads to Dee''s stupid question of the day: If you work really hard at the gym the next day your leg muscles (for instance) are sore. But, if you bring your heart rate up to a level that it rarely (maybe *never*) gets to, and the heart is a muscle, how come your heart doesn''t ache the next day too? (OK, everyone feel free to laugh now any my stupidity, but I''m really curious... )
I do not have an answer, but this made me smile and I find your question really cute and endearing (in a good way, of course
1.gif
).

Thank you for the smile.

Meredith

Merri - I swear I really do debate which of my crazy questions to post! If you think the ones that make it on to this board are goofy you should get a load of the ones I talk myself *out* of posting, LOL.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 9:48:17 AM
Not silly at all with the heart question - interesting - Lisa where are you? I am wondering as cardiac muscle tissue would differ from other muscle tissue in makeup, I hope Lisa checks in as she might have some thoughts.
34.gif
Cardiac muscle tissue does differe from other muscle tissue in makeup, although I don''t know the answer to the question asked. I''ll ask my uber smart FI and let you guys know
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 9:48:17 AM
34.gif
My "guess" is, heart muscle doesn't release lactic acid, like all the other muscles. Lactic acid (released when exercising) build up is what causes burning/cramping/sore muscles.

But I could be SO wrong.
9.gif

I also can't type correctly today.
20.gif

royalasscherlover

Shiny_Rock
i''m still here! i''ve just had a really busy week and haven''t had a chance to check in. i stuck to all my weekend resolutions for drinking and working out, and other than the superbowl food fest, i''ve been eating well, at about 1350 calories per day, and went to bikram yoga last night and on sunday before the game. it''s been so cold here (windchill below zero every day) that the heated room at yoga feels great! i leave for orlando in a week and i''m really hoping to get some nice weather while i''m there...

every once in a while, i "rediscover" a food - things i know i like and are healthy, but i haven''t eaten in a while. this week, i am loving lite firm tofu. half of the huge block is only 100 calories, with 4g fat and 18g protein. i made a stirfry last night using that and lots of broccoli, garlic, ginger, and soy - yummy! it was a huge pile of food for only about 200 cals. i can''t wait to have the leftovers for dinner tonight.

lorelei, thanks for your concern about my horse. he is doing well - it took him almost a week to get thru his last colic epidoes, but he finally looks like his old happy self again.
36.gif

great job everyone on staying healthy this week!

(now that i''m caught up, i also want to add my belated condolences to kimberly for your MIL, nejarb for your bike, and cinderella for your breakup.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee - you crack me up!!!
31.gif

I am most interested to know the answer to this heart muscle question - thanks Swee''pea for finding out for us - also Ellen that is a great point too about the lactic acid!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 10:15:30 AM
Author: shortblonde
i''m still here! i''ve just had a really busy week and haven''t had a chance to check in. i stuck to all my weekend resolutions for drinking and working out, and other than the superbowl food fest, i''ve been eating well, at about 1350 calories per day, and went to bikram yoga last night and on sunday before the game. it''s been so cold here (windchill below zero every day) that the heated room at yoga feels great! i leave for orlando in a week and i''m really hoping to get some nice weather while i''m there...

every once in a while, i ''rediscover'' a food - things i know i like and are healthy, but i haven''t eaten in a while. this week, i am loving lite firm tofu. half of the huge block is only 100 calories, with 4g fat and 18g protein. i made a stirfry last night using that and lots of broccoli, garlic, ginger, and soy - yummy! it was a huge pile of food for only about 200 cals. i can''t wait to have the leftovers for dinner tonight.

lorelei, thanks for your concern about my horse. he is doing well - it took him almost a week to get thru his last colic epidoes, but he finally looks like his old happy self again.
36.gif

great job everyone on staying healthy this week!

(now that i''m caught up, i also want to add my belated condolences to kimberly for your MIL, nejarb for your bike, and cinderella for your breakup.)

Oh I am so glad he is doing well! So is the diagnosis definitely ulcers?

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mara for the info on the hungry girl. I will check it out.

I haven''t been posting much, but I have been working out and reducing my calories a ton. I have noticed a change in how I feel and fit in my clothes, I didn''t even bother with the scale, it is just going to play mind games with me. lol. I even debate whether I really want to eat someting becuase then I know I wil have to add it and tally it up on my spreadsheet!
11.gif

I have not been feeling well this week due to the monthly, and I get very body achy. I have been like that for a couple days now, so its been very hard to motivate myself to get going to work out, but I''ve been doing it
36.gif

1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Mara: Don't be jealous, I've had such low-cal days because we've been too busy to stop and eat. Yesterday John bought me a Cilf Bar to munch on before we cleaned out the filthy dirty garage, thank goodness, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten in lunch. Last night I was going to have frozen yogurt to bump up my calorie intake and I ended up falling asleep instead. So 1150 was the grand total for yesterday.

Today will be a different day, though as I mentioned out for drinks and dinner. I'm not thrilled with the restaurant choice, it's a local Mexican chain that's almost like fast food but not quite. They picked it because it's central to all three of us and one of the girls really likes the margaritas (no thank you!). I guess that's okay though because a salad will more than suffice. I just hate eating out at not so great places when meals out are like presents in my mind!

Today is an elliptical day too, yippee!

DeeJay: I love your random questions, I think you should ask every one you think of!

shortblonde: I'm so glad your horse is doing better.

ETA: Great work, Rosebud!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 10:32:34 AM
Author: KimberlyH

DeeJay: I love your random questions, I think you should ask every one you think of!

Ha ha -- not a chance! You people would be begging Irina to block my ability to post!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I just asked DH and he confirmed what Ellen said:

My "guess" is, heart muscle doesn''t release lactic acid, like all the other muscles. Lactic acid (released when exercising) build up is what causes burning/cramping/sore muscles.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 10:57:35 AM

Ha ha -- not a chance! You people would be begging Irina to block my ability to post!
No way!
Date: 2/8/2007 10:57:35 AM

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol at the question of the day....i would imagine the lactic acid guesses are correct as well. but my first thought was ''oh well it works hard all the time so why should going up a few beats per minute really tax it?''...hahaa...logical but probably wrong. i also thought that in general your heart probably gets up to be pretty high from time to time without you even noticing it!

here''s my random question...has anyone noticed that once they have started to consume a fair amount of fiber consistently in their diet, that their body SEEMS to process it faster than it used to? aka the reason that i eat so much fiber is because i want to stay full longer. which used to be perfect. but lately it seems like no matter what i eat and if it has fiber in it or not, my body is ''hungry'' faster than it used to be! i can''t eat enough fiber to stay full for longer than 2 hours or so. does my body get more efficient at processing it and then able to break things down and do it faster? or is it just that my metabolism may be higher overall?

i also kind of wonder how this drug i am taking for my stomach acid reducing might be affecting the rest of my body, aka maybe that''s a reason why i feel hungry more? it''s not a huge issue or anything, but portions that USED to make me full are no longer doing that. and i don''t want to be stuffed full but i used to be able to eat a can of soup and be stuffed. no longer...i am comfortable when done and within an hour i want something else. same with my mac and cheese portion last nite...i ate it and then i ate a tiny bit more (a sliver)...and i wasn''t full at all but i forced myself to stop because rationally i was like okay you consumed a fair amount of pasta and cheese so you SHOULD be full!

it''s just odd. i would love to be less hungry esp since i eat snacks during the day too (easier for me actually than eating big huge meals and i guess better for me overall though i find it a hassle sometimes to have to snack, i think it leads to MORE snacking!)...and i would love to cut out 1-2 snacks a day. i have pretty much cut out my morning snack between breakkie and lunch because it''s only a 3-4 hour timeframe for me. but if i eat lunch at 12 and then leave work at 5 that''s 5 hours of snacking potential. i definitely snacked way less when i worked at home!

it obviously hasn''t prevented me from reaching my goals but i think it''s more a mental thing. and the fiber and portion thing for me is puzzling.

anyhow, last nite after our jello cups we shared a chocolate biscotti and i pondered making either the no pudge brownies or the blueberry muffins but today we finish the applesauce bran muffins so i figured i''d wait til tonite to make anything more (or see how the bananas are coming). also i don''t like making things as much on the weekend because then WE tend to eat them all instead of me being able to take things into work for sharing and spreading the love (calories?) around. overall though i ate what seemed like a lot yesterday my cals were only at like 1650 i think, so that''s good. my SP range is 1710-2100 i think.

this morning was fiber one pellet twigs and honey bunches of oats with coffee. one serving of this fiber one is 14g of fiber so lets see how long i stay full! my guess is 2.5 hours. hehe. come 10:30ish is when i start to feel it.

have a great day everyone!!

oh and jade leaves next time you need to sub for the cake mix, try either nonfat vanilla or plain yogurt or applesauce. i am thinking this ''no pudge brownie'' stuff i got is basically the same, it''s like a cocoa based cake mix kinda thing, and you just add non-fat vanilla yogurt and bake. it says if you are out of yogurt to use applesauce, or something else i can''t remember now, but anyway, those seem like two ''moist'' alternatives to the pumpkin that would probably work for the muffins next time. but i gotta say that the devils'' food and the pumpkin together is like a bit of magic in terms of texture and taste!!! hehe. i always have pumpkin in the pantry so now i am like whee, a way to use it. and the devil''s food cake mix was on sale at the store last nite for 88 cents! so of course i got another one. greg is asking for more already!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
This article/these recipes will be interesting to all of you cookie lovers:

http://health.msn.com/dietfitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100149907

Some of them look pretty good!

Mara, I eat a fair amount of fiber (and take fiber pills every day) but I haven''t noticed my body becoming accustomed to and and being more hungry.

I have noticed I''m having weird circulation issues. My toes went numb in the grocery store on Tuesday, my fingers have been going numb as well (the middle finger on my left hand was numb on Monday, I showed John and he swears I just wanted to flip him off!). My extremities are normally cold, but I''ve never had them do this before, it''s strange. J said I need to consume more fluids.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
hey all!

I finally gave in and got some new work clothes. My old ones were swimming around me and looking really, really frumpy and my co-workers were commenting all the time about you need a belt, those pants are falling off.
emembarrassed.gif
I simply hate spending money on work clothes. but, my new pants size is a 6.
9.gif
not too shabby.

i''ve also returned to the gym and have re-introduced cardio now that my alcohol ban is lifted! so far so good. still at it with pilates.

question: how much dairy does everyone get? I eat cheese, yogurt and milk in coffee or cereal, but i''m wondering if I might need more...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 11:44:51 AM
Author: lovelylulu
hey all!

I finally gave in and got some new work clothes. My old ones were swimming around me and looking really, really frumpy and my co-workers were commenting all the time about you need a belt, those pants are falling off.
emembarrassed.gif
9.gif
not too shabby.

i''ve also returned to the gym and have re-introduced cardio now that my alcohol ban is lifted! so far so good. still at it with pilates.

question: how much dairy does everyone get? I eat cheese, yogurt and milk in coffee or cereal, but i''m wondering if I might need more...
I eat yogurt on a daily basis and make dinners w/ cheese in them about 3 times a week. I''ve stopped drinking milk (replaced it with soy milk). Before I lost weight I consumed a ton of dairy, but I''ve cut a lot of it out and have had no negative effects from doing so.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 11:44:51 AM
Author: lovelylulu
hey all!

emembarrassed.gif
9.gif
not too shabby.

Congrates on the pants size 6!!!

As for dairy, honestly I really don''t eat or drink many diary products (whole milk in coffee once or twice a week; jello pudding cups--although those are probably so *processed* that any diary benefit there might have been in the beginning is long gone--, occassionally milk on cereal, but that''s about it).

Are you wondering specifically about calcium or something else? If it''s calcium obviously you can take a supplement.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
25.gif
I just wanted to let you know Dee, that I have just had a nice mug of Swiss Miss with marshmallows - yum yum!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 12:07:00 PM
25.gif
I just wanted to let you know Dee, that I have just had a nice mug of Swiss Miss with marshmallows - yum yum!

Pair that up with a little carrot cake and you''ll be all set!
9.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
dee jay: dairy seems like a pretty important part of a well rounded diet...and while it has other vitamins, like A & D, i guess i''m mostly concened about calcium.

i think between the cheese, yogurt and 1% milk, i''m doing fine.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
25.gif
6.gif

I had some last night, minus the marshmallows.
25.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2007 12:12:38 PM

25.gif

Pair that up with a little carrot cake and you'll be all set!
9.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
I asked for that didn't I ??????

Ellen, did you have any cakie with your non marshmallow Swiss Miss?
emotion-40.gif

Blast - I am back to cake mongering again!
emotion-39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol the other day at the sandwich place they had the yummiest looking carrot cake. but greg didn''t want to share one which meant it would be 90% me (and 10% him picking at it) so i said no...but it was tough! hehe.

re: dairy, i usually have milk in my coffee 7x a week, milk in cereal about 5x a week, cheese in dinner maybe 2x a week, yogurt about 3-4x a week, and milk in cooking items (though does that count?) about 3x a week. i think i get a fair amount of dairy but not too much.

congrats on the size 6 lulu!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results