shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 27th Aug till 2nd Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimi!!!! I just saw some more pics of you; you should be a wedding dress model! Seriously; you are so beautiful!!! I hope your migraine is gone; I hate migraines!

Neatfreak, fun that you got a haircut and a walk in and 4 miles!!! It is weird, we never are humid, but lately it has been and I hate it! I hope it doesn't rain again when I walk tonight.

Dee, I was on the depo shot and stopped too because of weight gain. I was on it for like 2 years and my doctor suggested I get off it which I did.

Marcy, yay for your 5th wheeler!!! Does it hook up to a truck? Very exciting
36.gif
36.gif

Monnie, I love your upbeat positive attitude; I love reading your post in Hangout and Rocky Talk. Oh, wow, that wedding in CS is already here! I am sorry you will miss it. Make hubby take lots of pics for you!

Mara, whoooo hooo chickadee on the 2 lbs!!!
36.gif
Did you list the good foods that your dietician recommended; I must have missed that if you did?!?!

Lorelei, yay for the workout!!!

SB, I feel your pain too; I am stuck at the same weight. bleh!!! It is starting to bug me
14.gif
I am glad you are eating healthy, kudos. Sorry about the shoes; I forgot socks once and thought it was too gross to workout that way. Dang!

Jas, have a good bowflex workout! Yay for staying zen Missy!!!

Chinacat you will lose those few lbs soon! Sounds like you are doing well!

Ebree, whoo hooo on the workout and healthy eating!

I was sort of bad, I had ice cream. I just gotta workout harder tonight; I am crossing my fingers it doesn't rain! Happy Thurs!
41.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Mara, Rod, Shortblonde, DeeJay, Skippy, KimberlyH... sorry if I missed anyone - thanks again for all the good encouraging vibes. I am so glad to be tracking my cals again, it is defnitely keeping me honest! Yesterday I came in at just 1500, and was about to have an evening snack to get to my 1800 cal goal and fell asleep! I just could not think of anything healthy that I felt like eating. Today I''m already at 1100 and so that leaves me 700 for dinner. Had to skip my workout b/c something came up at work, but will take a long walk w/ the dogs later. Probably it''s good b/c my last 2 days workouts were really hard and I am going to a hard class tomorrow so it''s good to have an easier day in between.
DeeJay that sucks about the depo but wouldn''t it be cool if just going off it is all it takes to get to your goal?!
Monarch I hear you about being a solo wedding guest- definitely not as much fun. My DH works a lot so I often end up going to things solo as well - including a wedding this weekend. At least I am meeting up w/ a good girlfriend there - we will have a blast.
Rod so sorry to hear about the car ding. That SUCKS!
After I finally left work today I went to buy new running shoes, waited FOREVER, and then they no longer carry the ones I wear!! So disappointing. They can order them but it will take 2 wks.
Well I;m off to cook up some spinach ravioli w/ spinach and marinara. It''s my usual "DH has to work" dinner. I hope I can save half the packet for tomorrow''s lunch (it''s a 2 small serving pack... but sometimes that turns into 1 big serving!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay Gail, good to see you and kudos on your upbeat happy attitude! Sounds like you are doing well!

I saw this today. Just an FYI of salads to avoid!!! taken from here
Taco Bell''s Fiesta Salad® — 840 calories and 45 grams of fat
Macaroni Grill''s Chicken Caesar Salad® — 920 calories and 69 grams of fat
Panera''s Bistro Steak Salad® — 630 calories and 58 grams of fat
Applebee''s Grilled Steak Caesar Salad® — 1,190 calories and 75 grams of fat
Compare the salads above to the infamous McDonald''s Big Mac®, which has 540 calories and 29 grams of fat.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re right Skippy, one might think having a salad at Applebee''s is the healthy lower calorie choice, but I''ve seen this before, which is why I don''t get salads like these anymore. Thanks for posting this, as I''m sure there are many who had no idea.

We wound up not going to the gym tonight, which would have been our 3rd workout in a row as Charlie had something he needed to do and we just decided to bag it tonight, have a nice dinner out and make up for it by working out Saturday, Sunday and Monday, since we have Monday off. Besides, favorite sushi spot #2 is closed this monday, so we''ll work out Monday, then take Tuesday off instead and have sushi.

I''m so glad tomorrow''s Friday. I have an appointment with the best body shop in town to get the estimate on my bumper repair and to get it on their schedule, which they said was looking like the second week in September, which is just the week after next, so that will be OK.

Otherwise, nothing much to report. Not too many posts today, so I have to believe everyone''s out being healthy instead of sitting at their computers typing about it!!

Have a nice night my friends!!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
rod - total crap about your bumper! i''m sorry to hear it.

deejay - depo is the one BC that my OB Gyn was like, yeah I wouldn''t prescribe that one if you are worried about weight gain. YET, drug labeling only "suggests" that it could be a possible side effect. are you kidding me? clearly we ALL complain about these various hormones making us gain weight...seems odd that it''s not given as an expected side effect. i am interested to see if you are able to lose easier when you go off though.

well today really sucked! my sister, who i am super close to, got laid off - after 10 years as an executive and top performer at her company. selfishly, i am angry that i lost my free membership to the nicest health club in the city (where she worked). but i am also very disappointed for her as she is a sensitive person and took it very personally. fortunately she is a consultant on the side so she has work to do in the interim, and she got 9 months of severance (which is NICE!), but i know it was an ego blow for her and a loss as she was there so long.

so i did what any good sister would do and took her out to drink and eat cheese fries and various other awful appetizers that shall remain nameless. she enjoyed it. i on the other hand may regret the two 23-oz beers i consumed when i get up to run my 5 miles that i was supposed to run today at 6 am tomorrow. but it was worth it and VERY good
27.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2007 10:18:48 PM
Author: tdiddy
rod - total crap about your bumper! i''m sorry to hear it.

deejay - depo is the one BC that my OB Gyn was like, yeah I wouldn''t prescribe that one if you are worried about weight gain. YET, drug labeling only ''suggests'' that it could be a possible side effect. are you kidding me? clearly we ALL complain about these various hormones making us gain weight...seems odd that it''s not given as an expected side effect. i am interested to see if you are able to lose easier when you go off though.

well today really sucked! my sister, who i am super close to, got laid off - after 10 years as an executive and top performer at her company. selfishly, i am angry that i lost my free membership to the nicest health club in the city (where she worked). but i am also very disappointed for her as she is a sensitive person and took it very personally. fortunately she is a consultant on the side so she has work to do in the interim, and she got 9 months of severance (which is NICE!), but i know it was an ego blow for her and a loss as she was there so long.

so i did what any good sister would do and took her out to drink and eat cheese fries and various other awful appetizers that shall remain nameless. she enjoyed it. i on the other hand may regret the two 23-oz beers i consumed when i get up to run my 5 miles that i was supposed to run today at 6 am tomorrow. but it was worth it and VERY good
27.gif
Oh, I''m so sorry to hear this about your sister. Tell her from somone who was laid off almost a year ago after 15 years with the same company (which as you probaby know I was rehired by them in June) is the toughest of pills to swallow. Tell her to take some time to regroup and think about her next step and to relax. Events like this are such a blow to one''s ego, but it''s just an unfortunate part of our work world in the modern century. It sucks for sure. But your sister should not take it personally, though I did and most people do too. Anway, please give her my best and let her know she''s not alone as this happens to truly great people every single day. Again, I know that won''t make her feel better, but I hope it will.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all!

Thank you first of all for helping me through my Depo trauma/drama. And don't I feel like a dumbf*ck for seeming to be the last woman in America for not knowing that it caused weight gain.
20.gif
The bad news is I've been on it since the late nineties (I'm not exactly sure when I went on) but the good news is I have finally figured it out and I will be going off of it. Talk to me a year from now about my weight situation! Also, I am most definitely not going to use the Depo as an excuse or a crutch. I have lost 20(ish) pounds already this year being on it so I am just going to look even more forward to the progress I'll make when I'm off it.

Tonight I did 65 mins on the elliptical for 767 alleged cals, and then I did some arm machines. I wanted to do more but there were two guys who were using the same machines I was and I kind of got intimidated off of them... And I thought the HH was going to grill burgers for dinner but when he came back from the lakefront he ran over 10 miles and he said he would take me out for a burger for he didn't have it in him to cook, so we went to Wildfire. I spent the whole meal running out to the vestibule where it was quiet taking phone calls on a deal that I'm trying to put together so I at the burger (no bun, but lots of fries) but I sadly don't remember much of the experience.

Stephi, when you went off Depo did you lose the weight relatively easily? How long did it take?

tdiddy, big hugs outgoing to your sister. All things happen for a reason and I'm sure she will have an even better job when this all pans out.

Rod, I hope your baby gets taken care of quickly and easily and that you're back behind in the driver's seat before you know it. (You would be HORRIFIED if you saw the number of dents in our Lexus SUV, but living in the city and parking on city streets it's just not worth it to get those all taken care of too frequently.)

Gail, spinach ravioli sounds GOOD! We sometimes get them from Costco but the package is so big I always make/eat too many of them.

ChinaCat, the drinking thing is hard for me. There's NOTHING I love more than a good glass of wine, which right there is 100 cals. I just try as much as I can to plan ahead and take in less cals on a day where I know we're having wine with dinner. It doesn't always work, but I do my best.
12.gif

Shortblonde, you are absolutely NOT the world's biggest dingbat--I do things like this all the time. For a few days I was like, hmm, wonder why my knees are so sore. Then I realized the cleaning lady moved my knee braces away from my workout shoes and I was just forgetting to put them on. Duh!!

Kimberly, LOL on making friends with the elliptical!

Mara, for some reason I ONLY like my oatmeal absolutely plain. I used to put brown sugar and/or nuts in it but I really like it "as is."

EBree - SIXTY POUNDS. Holy cow.
23.gif
The good news is it melted off. But still...
32.gif

jas, hope you're feeling better! As for the Depo, seriously, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread until I realized it was packing weight on. A decade without a period is a *BEAUTIFUL* thing.

Lorelei, hope all your good aches are working themselves out!

Monnie, good for you for not following the Labor Day rules. There are certain ones I do subscribe too (although I'm sorry to see my cute white penny loafers go away for the season) but when we go to Florida for our annual vacation with my dad in late September all those rules go right out the window!

Marcy, I hope you enjoy your 5th wheeler! Back in the early eighties my mother and step dad moved to Idaho hauling us and everything we owned in a 32 foot long motor home. Oh those were the days!

PG, I also feel sad for people who still don't know! There's a woman in my office who eats literally one meal a day (lunch, around 2 in the afternoon), doesn't exercise at all, and can't understand why she's gaining weight. I've talked to her 'till I'm blue in the face and she still doesn't get it.

Neatfreak, walking to a meeting at school and your haircut totally counts!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, I''m proud of you for realizing you should get off that Depo stuff. And WOO HOO on your run on the elliptical. Having lost 20 pounds already this year, just imagine how much more progress you''ll likely make without that steroid in your veins!! You go grirl!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi friends and fellow healthy PS''ers.
35.gif
I haven''t gained or lost anything for 2 days so I am happy to see the same numbers on my scale meaning I’m done with a “2” as the staring number for my weight.
Monarch, I like skirts. It sounds like your wardrobe will work well into the fall. I am glad your DH came home early. I stay up late looking at PS too.
Lorelei, good idea to take off a day from your work outs, it is nice to have the “good” aches though.
Shortblonde, the slow churned is sure good. I don’t trust myself to eyeball my serving though I weigh it out very carefully. My husband gets a much larger serving; lucky guy!
Jas, I am sure that pound is going to leave you FOREVER. I will just be starting my 2nd year of the “new” me on the 1st and it is going to be fun to reflect back on what has changed since the year before. I certainly have more energy in class. I hope your cocktail hour went good at school; at least your DH was by your side.
Mara, I think you deserve a break. You always seem to be working or working out. I am ready for a 3 day weekend. I am delighted to hear you aren’t craving sweets so much; maybe I’ll try skipping my evening treats for awhile.
ChinaCat, I get a lot of practice responding online after having 60 some students a semester in my internet classes. It sounds like you are on track for loosing your stubborn 3 to 5 pounds. I do really well eating about 5 times a day; it is funny I actually feel my body has changed recently and think it might be my metabolism has sped up. Maybe it is just because I am doing more all the time. Good luck on your new goal.
DeeJay, that’s my luck too. I find out the “bad” things right after I eat it or buy it. I bet moving your entire family in a motor home was very interesting. Have you watched the Lucille Ball / Desi Arnez movie about them traveling in a trailer? It’s really old, my in-laws showed it to us; it was really funny though.
EBree, that is great the scale went down. Woo hoo! Your cupcakes sound great for your hubby’s b-day. Wish him happy birthday for me.
Kimberly, I am glad you made friends with the elliptical today. That is a great friend to have.
Skippy, it’s never humid here either and it has been. We need rain but I’m not used to nail polish or mascara not drying instantly. Yes, the 5th wheel will hock up to our truck. We are going to be a semi rolling down the road tomorrow. I’ll take pictures and post them. I always said no to a 5th wheel before because of my bad knees but now it’s not that much of a problem. You deserve some ice cream. I hope it didn’t rain and you got to go for a nice walk.
Gail, it sounds like you are doing great at counting you calories again. I always like to know where I’m at for the day so I can plan my next meal, treat or snack. I hope you had a lovely walk with the dogs.
Rod, I hope your get your bumper fixed soon. I have a ding in my car door I need to get fixed; it bugs me every time I see it.
Tdiddy, I am so sorry to hear about your sister loosing her job. That is nice she got 9 months of severance pay but that is just awful. It sounds like you took care of her.
Well, tomorrow is Friday. Yeah.
36.gif
Take care.
Marcy

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
evening all and thank goodness it's almost friday!!! sounds like everyone is doing pretty well tonite, yay! lol sb re forgetting shoes, i have not done that yet but have come close, aka have had to go home to get something i forgot. now i just try to do a 'check' on what i have before i leave the house. but sometimes with portia, her leash and collar, my workout items, purse, items for lunch/snacks, and sometimes laptop bag, wow it's amazing i am as organized as i really am (which is not really much lol)...it's only been once that i have gotten all the way to dropping portia off and found that i forgot her collar and leash at home, doh. hopefully i never repeat that. hahaa. i was like gosh i am a horrible, disorganized mom!

lunch today was smoked chicken breast with some spicy hummus and a bit of wheat pita....snack was chocolate peppermint stick luna bar (which does taste a lot like a minty girl scout cookie which is what i heard but i wanted to see for myself, quite tasty)...and i had a 1/2 a south beach 100 cal bar which was kind of gross actually. then went and did a 4.2m hike with my girlfriend, would have been longer as we typically do but it was still like 90 degrees outside and the air was heavy and hot...so we were pretty tired. dinner tonite was a salad from this local place...that has lettuce, pistachios, blue cheese, grapefruit, orange, avocado, and mango slices, and had them add grilled chicken. yummy! ate most of the salad and all the chicken. the salad also comes with these little mini fresh pizza bread slices which i love...so i did have one of the small ones (like about 1/5 of a real pizza slice), my first 'white bread' in a week. it tasted good of course, but i felt like i shouldn't be eating it so i didn't eat more. hehee. dessert now is a serving of slow churned mint choco chip, got a fresh container, hehe. i love this 5oz bowl i got, it makes it so easy to portion-size it.

anyhow, tomorrow is friday..work is busy, seems like there's no end in sight...i plan to work out tomorrow doing something, not sure what. not sure what we'll do for dinner but we will probably take the train somewhere as we have this 10 pass that expires in a week and we have like 3 round trips left on it...so we have to use at least one or two. hope everyone is looking fwd to a great long 3 day weekend!! keep up the fab work everyone...!

eta almost forgot to say that i went to the trainer today to finish up my eval. she did my measurements and weighed me again, on the same scale as last week and i lost 1.5 lbs which is pretty interesting. we talked about my goals and all that as well. so interested to start with her next week and see how things go but i am feeling pretty good right now actually. we'll see how long i can keep up the whole low GI thing. i feel really good on it, but i know i can't go forever without wanting bread or pizza or sugar...hopefully i can continue the 'retraining' of my brain to eventually just want small bits. my coworker and i were talking about this today, like how most people don't realize what they do to their body with food (aka DJ and PG similar to your coworker) and don't give 'nutrition' too much thought...and don't really stop and think hmmm is eating this GOOD for me? or does it just taste good. and how even though you can know that something is not good for you...sometimes you put that little voice on hold and eat it anyway. it's interesting, when you scrutinize eating habits and ignorance vs education.

anyhow, tdiddy also, sorry your sis lost her job...but she will find something better for sure! one door closes...you know the saying!! marcy, hehe i am not 'craving' sweets as much but i do love my nighttime ice cream for sure. hehe. dj your elliptical runs are awesome woman and glad to hear you are nixing the depo thing soon. skippy did you get a good walk in tonight? ice cream is tasty eh?! rod hope the bumper gets fixed soon...what a drag for sure.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening, I''m up way too late AGAIN, but I didn''t get home until 6:30 tonight and had dinner with hubby and then helped him try on his suit for the wedding and pack, etc., it was sort of a rushed evening and I certainly didn''t get a chance to work out but at least I got to spend some time with him before he''s off again for the rest of the weekend.
39.gif
I know I''m a total cheeseball but I really miss him when he''s OOT for more than a couple days at a time, I''m a pretty independent person and I appreciate alone time so much, but I''m human and I get lonely for his company...I''ve made plans with a girlfriend for Saturday night and Sunday I have a whole to-do list going so I''ll be busy, but STILL!
20.gif

Jas, to answer your Q about the protein drinks, yes, they do keep me energized. Maybe not "full," but I haven''t noticed any tummy growling or hunger, I really don''t even take a lunch break, I just go back to the breakroom from time to time between 12 and 2 and have a few sips. I do eat a pretty good breakfast of a peanut butter smear on wheat toast, 8 oz. OJ, and coffee with unsweetened almond milk, so I think the caloric content of that meal along with the ~200 calories per serving of the protein drink tides me over until I get home at night. It would really suck if my stomach started growling while i was working with a customer in close proximity, so I''m happy to report I''m doing well with these liquid lunches so far!

Chinacat, on the alcohol thang...my only recommendation is maybe to mix a shot of vodka (~70 calories I believe) with a diet 7-Up or SierraMist Free instead of tonic which contains way more calories. The clear diet sodas are calorie free of course, so at least you''re only getting the cals from the alcohol that way. You can add in a splash of lite cranberry juice or something similar for color/flavor as well. Even lite beer really still has at least 96-100 calories so you could save 30 or so cals per drink if you stuck with vodka. If you''re a "wino" you could go that route as it''s a slow sipping drink for 120 cals a glass, I believe..there are all kinds of websites that will tell you caloric content of every drink you can think of, of course. I like to drink one or two after work, but I''m not a dessert person, so instead of a 100 calorie dessert I''ll have a beer, glass of wine, or vodka/diet clear soda instead...obviously it''s all about moderation.

Skippy, I know those salads can be so deceiving! I like to get the Taco Bell salad sometimes, but I order it without meat, and I maybe take one or two bites of the shell (which is where most of the fat content is, being fried and all). Sadly, there are people who think they''re getting their fresh veggies into their diet this way, and i guess they sort of are but at what cost? Too bad fast food companies won''t come up with offerings that are legitimately healthy.

Rod, too bad about the car...when I had my Trailblazer for less than two weeks I backed out of the garage last night (now mind you I went from driving a Toyota Corolla to a much bigger truck) and scraped my front bumper on the frame of the garage door on the way out. Luckily I just got some paint on the plastic part of the bumper and DH''s friend had a buffer we used to just buff out the marks.
20.gif
Before that, I drove the Corolla INTO the garage without realizing the door was not completely up and had marks across the whole top of the car, hee hee. Yeah, garages and I don''t get along real well, LOL! Hope you get the Bimmer fixed fast!

TDiddy, so sorry to hear your sister got laid off. You''re not selfish, it stinks to lose a privelege no matter what the circumstances are. Your sis is lucky that she got so much severance, and that she has a side consulting job to keep her at least a little busy while she''s searching for something new. Wish her luck for me!

DeeJay, good lord, when you get off that Depo you''re going to end up a size 00, I bet! I do have a friend/ex-co-worker who''s still on it, after three kids and weight loss and gain and loss she started it and gained at least 50 lbs but has never looked back, she likes the other benefits for whatever reasons even though I kept telling her she was crazy! She''s diabetic as well, I can''t understand why her Ob-gyn would allow her to use a form of BC that has the weight gain side effect. Go figure...anyway I hope that situation works itself out for ya.

Hi Marcy!! Good job on the maintenance, and yay for having lots more energy in class. You''re doing so well! I saw a bracelet that reminds me of your new diamond one at work today and thought of you!

Mara, could you maybe elaborate a little more on sprouted breads, and how much you like them? I was looking at them at TJ''s last night and I just couldn''t bring myself to pay $3 for a loaf of bread that either might go moldy in a few days (although if you refrigerate it it will stay fresh longer, right?) or that I just wouldn''t like...I wish they would''ve had samples of it, the store I shop has a little corner sample booth type thing in the back by the dairy case where they are always offering samples of fun things. Just curious, if you''d be so kind as to talk sprouted bread a little more in-depth that would be great, hee hee.

Night all!
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGIF!!!!
35.gif
I can't believe that it starts to get bright now at 6:40 and dark at 8pm! Summer just flew!!

Today hubby has the day off so we are going to try this new really good resturant. Well I am guessing it is good because these guys have a few other restaurants that are awesome and they buy fresh foods from the local farmers so it tastes wonderful!!! Chain restaurants for the most part give me the hebe jebes.

Today I noticed is the anniversary of Dianna's passing; I really liked her and I remember what a shock it was 10 yrs ago and where I was!!! I thought it was awesome how she cared about people and was a great humanitarian; I am glad her sons are following in her foot steps.

Monnie, I love your upbeat positive attitude. Oh, wow, that wedding in CS is already here; make hubby take lots of pics for you! I like salads but I know to stay away from those ones, plus I don't eat at those places but I think I will try and be more aware of what is in my salad.

Mara, yay for 1.5 lbs!!!

Rod, do you follow the eating program in the Core book; I found out I do a lot of what the suggest meal wise (I should have skipped that part). I am excited to try the exercises! Enjoy the Palms!!!

Marcy, I can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Tdiddy, you are so good at your workouts, kudos. Sorry about your sister; I am glad you took her out!

DeeJay, I think I gained like 5-10 lbs and lost if over about 1/2 year if I recall correctly. The part that scared me was that the doctor said it might cause facial hair growth; I hope I am not scaring you more. I didn't want facial hair, but I guess it was a very small percentage. Dee it will leave your system soon; I felt like it left mine soon. Glad you won't be on it; I liked it for the same reasons you did but friends and my doctor had very strong arguements not to be on it.

Happy Friday all!!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2007 8:59:35 AM
Author: Skippy123

DeeJay, I think I gained like 5-10 lbs and lost if over about 1/2 year if I recall correctly. The part that scared me was that the doctor said it might cause facial hair growth; I hope I am not scaring you more. I didn''t want facial hair, but I guess it was a very small percentage. Dee it will leave your system soon; I felt like it left mine soon. Glad you won''t be on it; I liked it for the same reasons you did but friends and my doctor had very strong arguements not to be on it.

Facial hair growth?!? Mother of mercy... Well, after about 10 years of being on it I can at least report THAT was not one of my side effects, LOL.

So remember the bruise I had a few months ago? Well now I''ve got one so bad it makes that last one look like a beauty mark! Last night I was standing in the bathroom brushing my teeth and the HH screamed "Oh my god--WHO DID THIS TO YOU???" I looked down and there it was, right on the side of my calf below the knee. Not only is it black and blue but there''s an area in the middle where the skin is all scraped off too. Oh, and the best part--I don''t even remember getting it! The only thing I can think of is that when I was at the inspection for my client before the closing yesterday I walked into something because the unit was still in disarray and there was construction stuff sitting around. We''re going to Florida on vacation in three weeks and I''m sure it will be in the last of it''s colorful glory during the only week every year where I actually wear a bathing suit or pair of shorts.
20.gif

Rod, I *really* wanted to kick out 800 cals last night but I just couldn''t quite get there. Oh well, at least I have a goal to work toward!

Marcy, I''ve never seen that movie but I assure you our trip was nothing less than "interesting." We had one of those National Lampoon moments where we stopped at some state park in Nebraska for the night and on our way out the next morning we were like "Where''s Stubbs?" (our Cocker Spaniel). Fortunately we hadn''t gone very far at all (literally just a few hundred feet) because his leash was looped over the rear bumper where my mother has put him to have his breakfast. We was a bit tired from running to keep up with the motor home and we never did get his bowl back.

Mara, we used to take The Demon and The Monster to this place for doggie day care when we were having the bathroom done because we were afraid they would get out of the house if the contract left the door open or something like that. We never put collars on them in the house and when the HH would open the back of the SUV in the garage they just hope right in so we never remembered their leashes either. Eventually the people at the day care place just "assigned" them some collars and leashes to keep there becuase we were so bad about it!

Monnie, the HH said the same thing last night! He was like, so you''ll weigh 85 lbs a year from now? Not quite!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
morning all! happy happy friday.

monnie, honestly, the sprouted bread to me tastes like wheat nut bread. if you like those dark wheat breads with nuts, you''ll like sprouted. but i guess it also depends on what you get in the bread because the sprouted wheat berry one at TJ''s is more like that for me (super dense and thick, if you took a slice and pressed a finger i don''t think it would depress the bread much)...and then i also got this new flaxseed sprouted one the other day which is smaller size bread slices, and is softer, and more white looking and has flax seeds in it. it''s more nutrients than the wheat berry but just by a little and it doesn''t taste like BREAD to me, it tastes more like a soft flaxseed cracker does. i like all types of bread and don''t really have preconceived notions (aka this doesn''t taste like wonder bread, so ew)...so i am pretty flexible about this stuff, i like to know that if i am going to eat bread at home, its going to be as healthy as possible and give my body a lot of things to work with. now give me a loaf of sourdough at a restaurant and that''s a diff story hehee.

anyway, i keep the bread in the fridge and i have had the first loaf a week and it doesn''t have mold on it. i imagine i have at least another 3-4 days before it''d do anything (but maybe longer). that first loaf is almost gone though, like 4-5 slices left that we''ll have for toast this wkd. my mistake the first time was not realizing i had to put it in the fridge, and it went bad in 3 days and grew mold. it has absolutely no preservatives in it. the ones i got at TJ''s were $2.50 a loaf i think. also this might sound silly but i have had TJ employees offer to open bags of things so i can taste something so if you are really leery, i''d ask!

just having my breakfast cereal mix, ff milk and coffee. it''s been really hot around here the last few days, our mini heat wave, in the 90''s and slightly humid...there is a fire over near the coast forest a bit...and it''s pumping a lot of smoke into the areas around work and my parents...they haven''t been able to get it out since it''s in a remote area (random on how it started)...it''s supposed to be hot until at least monday which means being outside this wkd won''t be ''as fun'' as it would be in the 80''s...but we''ll figure something out i guess!!! i think tonite we are taking the train somewhere to dinner.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All and Happy Friday!

I''m looking forward to the weekend. We have friends coming over for a BBQ tomorrow and I''m going to my parents'' on Sunday for a few days to visit and see my nephew. I can''t wait!

Nothing exciting to report on the exercise front, I need to clean my house and get ready for guests; we''ll probably go for a walk tonight. I went and bought a pedometer yesterday, YAY! But it''s a cheapy and I don''t think it works very well. I need to break down and spend some $$ on a decent one.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to pop in and say hi, since it''s been awhile. I''ve still been maintaining my healthy eating/working out lifestyle but haven''t been up to posting much. I''m officially off of Jenny now and on to my own thing. I''m trying to cook a bit more and am still eating some of their dinners, some Lean Cuisine type stuff too. My goal is 4 days of working out and as of today, I''ll make that goal. Maybe even more b/c working out is my release these days. Who knew I could ever actually *want* to workout. But it is the only time I feel stress free these days. I''ve also started doing weights again. Not much, just a few machines but more than the none that I was doing before. Today, I think I''ll swim for some diversity, plus, I love to swim.

That''s it for me for now...

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
hi guys.... A little input on the low GI or low carb thing. Maybe some of you can try what I do to break a plateu..... I also do the low carb thing, but what I learned from a trainer in the past is a "cycling method of 3:1" Which means I''ll do 3 days low carb and 1 day high carb. Of course during this time I''m still keep track of calorie count and eating good food choices. During low carb days I''ll start the day off with nutrigrain waffles and a protein shake, maybe some egg whites. And then a snack of string cheese of apple, lunch I''ll have protein and veggies, and maybe some form of carb but very limited..... And for the rest of the day it''s pretty much protein and complex carbs such as veggies. The good thing about cycling for me is that i don''t end up caving in and bing eating carbs and sweets. THen on the high carb day, I just eat regular stuff.... I''ll have cereal in the morning, a sandwich at lunch. Because after doing some research our muscles are depleated of any glucose that it initially had stored within about 3 days... so a lot of times when after 3 days of i''ll start feeling weak, or really craving carbs... Our body functions on carbs... so I can''t go too long without it... so the cycling thing really helps.

the following is a little article on carbs and the cycling method towards the bottom in blue. I cut out some stuff otherwise this thing is even longer! Just a little something to consider if anyone is interested!

Mastering the fundamentals first
Many weight loss programs start you on the strictest version of their diet possible,
allowing you to gradually “loosen it up” as you get closer to your goal. I suspect the
reason for such crash “quick start” programs is because they don’t want you to get
discouraged with slow fat loss in the beginning. They want to encourage quick weight
loss right from the start so their program appears effective, regardless of what happens in
the long run. However, if permanent fat loss is your goal, then it makes no sense to
attempt going on the strictest, most advanced and most difficult nutrition regimen (such
as a low carbohydrate bodybuilding contest diet), until you already have a “clean” diet
and you understand all the nutrition fundamentals.
The low carbohydrate, high protein diet is an “advanced” technique. Before
moving into “advanced fat loss strategies,” you should be training consistently and you
should have mastered the baseline diet (which I also refer to as “PHASE I” of the BFFM
program). It’s pointless to try to use these advanced carbohydrate-manipulation strategies
unless you’ve mastered the eight fundamentals of the baseline diet:
1. Eating fewer calories than you burn
2. Properly balancing your macronutrient ratios
3. Eating five or six meals per day, properly timed
4. Eating lean proteins with every meal
5. Eating the right types of carbohydrates and avoiding refined sugars
6. Eating low fat and choosing the right types of fat
7. Drinking plenty of water
8. Eating natural, unrefined foods
Have you mastered all these fundamentals yet? If not, the advanced information
in this chapter will do you little good. Get back to the basics first. When you’ve mastered
all the fundamentals and you’re stuck in a rut or when you’re already lean and want to get
even leaner, then using the techniques in this chapter will help you get there.
The truth about low carbohydrate diets
The popularity of low carbohydrate diet programs has given carbohydrates in
general a bad name and caused the widespread misconception that all carbohydrates are
fattening. The truth is that carbohydrates are not fattening and most people don’t need
low carbohydrate diets to get lean. Many low carbohydrate programs are based on the assumption that all people are
carbohydrate sensitive or resistant to insulin. My research and experience has proven the
opposite - that most people will lose fat simply by lifting weights, doing cardio, eating
less than they burn and "cleaning up" their diets. In other words, low carbohydrate diets
should be looked at as “last resort” diets or “peaking” diets for special events such as
bodybuilding, fitness competition or photo shoots. A low carbohydrate diet is not for year
round maintenance. It’s a temporary tool for reaching peak condition.

2. Breaking a plateau
It’s extremely common for dieters to get excellent results for weeks or even months, then
all of a sudden, stop losing body fat completely. That’s because all calorie-restricted diets
eventually have some negative effect on the metabolism. The more severe you diet and
the longer you diet, the greater the metabolic downgrade. This ultimately leads nearly
everyone to a plateau at one time or another. If you’re stuck at a plateau, then restricting
carbohydrates and using the “carbohydrate cycling” method can help break the plateau.

3. Bodybuilding, fitness or figure competition
Low carbohydrate diets are still considered controversial, but almost all bodybuilders and
fitness competitors use them. Some restrict carbohydrates quite severely, others more
moderately, but I don’t know a single successful bodybuilder who doesn’t use at least
some degree of carbohydrate restriction to get ripped for competition. If the low
carbohydrate diet didn’t work, then you wouldn’t see male bodybuilders peak at 3-5%
body fat and female bodybuilders or fitness competitors at 8-12% body fat. Reduced
carbohydrate diets give you several important metabolic and hormonal advantages that
allow you to get leaner faster than a conventional baseline diet. Bodybuilders have known
this for years and that’s the reason they are able to get so lean, year after year, contest
after contest.

Four advantages of the reduced carbohydrate diet
Low carbohydrate diets have advantages and disadvantages. Although the cons
might seem to outnumber the pros, a decrease in carbohydrate with an increase in protein
can give you some very powerful advantages in fat loss:
(1) Reduced carbohydrate, high protein diets are highly thermic
A diet high in protein with moderate or low carbohydrates speeds up your metabolism
due to the "thermic effect" of protein. Protein has the highest thermic effect of any food
(nearly 30%). For example, if you eat 100 calories of chicken breast, 30 of those calories
are burned off just to digest it! Therefore, the net caloric value is only 70 calories. Too
much of any food will be stored as fat, but due to its high thermic effect, protein is less
likely to be converted to fat than any other food type. When carbohydrates are reduced,
the ratio of protein increases, and the thermic effect of the entire diet is higher.
(2) Reducing carbohydrates and increasing protein controls insulin
Insulin control might be the primary advantage of a reduced carbohydrate diet for fat loss.
Insulin is released the most in response to the consumption of carbohydrates. Fats cause
almost no insulin release and protein causes only a small insulin release. When you
reduce carbohydrates, you reduce insulin output. Moderating insulin by restricting your
carbohydrates can be an effective strategy for losing fat.
(3) Reducing carbohydrates decreases glycogen, forcing your body to use more fat
for fuel.
By reducing your carbohydrate intake, your glycogen stays in a depleted or semi-depleted
state. Although this may compromise your energy and training intensity somewhat, when
done in moderation, this can speed up fat loss because you’re less likely to store
carbohydrates as fat when glycogen is depleted. Carbohydrates must go to glycogenstarved
muscles first before they can be partitioned into fat storage.

(4) Reducing carbohydrates and increasing protein reduces water retention, giving
you sharper, more detailed muscle definition.
A high carbohydrate diet tends to increase water retention because every gram of
glycogen holds three grams of water. A high protein, low carbohydrate diet has the
opposite effect – it tends to decrease water retention, giving you a more defined look to
your muscles. Bloating and puffiness from water retention is only temporary and should
not be confused with legitimate changes in body composition. However, the improved
muscle definition from the high protein, low carbohydrate diet is another reason this type
of diet is favored by so many bodybuilders and fitness competitors.
Eight disadvantages of the low carbohydrate diet
Before you consider going on a low carbohydrate diet, it’s your responsibility to
know all the cons as well as the pros so you can make an educated decision about whether
this type of program is right for you. (You should also check with your doctor before
making any major changes to your carbohydrate and protein ratios to make sure this type
of diet is appropriate for you).
(1) Very low carbohydrate diets are difficult to stay on.
By their very nature, low carbohydrate diets are restrictive and difficult to follow. On a
very low carbohydrate diet, you are only allowed to eat protein, meat and fat with limited
amounts of low calorie carbohydrates such as lettuce, green vegetables and very small
portions of natural starches. How long do you think you could comfortably stay on this
kind of program? Extremely restrictive diets require tremendous willpower and almost
always set you up for cravings and bingeing. Many people fail simply because they can’t
faithfully stay “on the wagon.”
(2) Weight/fat re-gain is almost inevitable
If you lose weight on a very low carbohydrate diet, the odds of keeping the weight off are
overwhelmingly against you. The lower you drop your carbohydrates, the more your body
will rebound when carbohydrates are re-introduced. I’ve seen amateur bodybuilders gain
30 lbs in a matter of days after a contest because they went on a carbohydrate and fat
binge after a four-month zero carbohydrate diet. Transitions onto and off of low
carbohydrate diets must be carefully planned and gradual.

(3) Very low carbohydrate diets can be unbalanced and lacking in essential
nutrients.
It''s never healthy to remove entire food groups from your diet for a long period of time.
The healthiest diet is one that has balance between protein, carbohydrates and fats and
includes a wide variety of foods, not an overemphasis on one food or food group.
(4) Very low carbohydrate diets may be unhealthy.
Many low carbohydrate diets suggest eating large amounts of fat, including saturated fats.
In the absence of carbohydrates, you can eat fat with protein and still lose weight, but it''s
never smart to eat large amounts of saturated or highly processed fats. If heart disease or
health problems run in your family, you''re asking for serious trouble. Furthermore, a high
fat diet is never as effective as a low to moderate fat diet because of its lower thermic
effect.
5) Very low carbohydrate diets can cause your energy levels to crash.
You can increase fat loss by restricting carbohydrates, but your energy levels and
performance are going to drop if you cut them too much. That’s why virtually 100% of
elite athletes follow moderately high carbohydrate diets, regardless of whether their sport
is anaerobic or aerobic in nature (Bodybuilders are an exception because their ultimate
goal is cosmetic appearance, not physical performance). Because carbohydrates are your
body’s preferred energy source, the more you reduce your carbohydrates, the less energy
you will have. If your workout intensity suffers, your results will suffer.
6) The weight loss on a very low carbohydrate diet can be deceiving.
Much of the weight loss on a low carbohydrate diet is muscle and water. Five pound per
week losses are common, but if you distinguish between the types of weight lost, these
results are often quite negative. For example, if one pound is fat, two pounds is water and
two pounds is muscle, your five-pound weight loss doesn’t look so good after all. Your
goal should always be fat loss, never weight loss.
7) Low carbohydrate levels affect your mood and mental state.
The low carbohydrate diet is infamous for producing “brain fog” because your brain and
central nervous system function almost exclusively on glucose. When you deprive
yourself of carbohydrates for any prolonged period of time, you will often become tired,
weak, moody, irritable and an all around grouchy S.O.B.! Just ask anyone who has ever
gone on a strict low carbohydrate diet (or anyone who has lived with a low carb dieter),
and they’ll tell you – a severe low carbohydrate diet can cause a “Jeckyl and Hyde” effect.

8) Low carbohydrate diets may cause muscle loss
When glycogen stores are severely depleted through dietary restriction, your body can
also burn protein for energy, converting muscle tissue into glucose through a process
called gluconeogenesis. Carbohydrates have a protein-sparing effect – they help ensure
that you don’t burn up muscle for energy. (Unfortunately, if your carbohydrates are too
high, they also have a fat-sparing effect because when carbohydrates are plentiful, you
tend to burn more carbohydrate for energy). Advocates of ketogenic and very low
carbohydrate diets claim that the very nature of the ketogenic diet prevents muscle loss. In
the real world, I have never observed this even once! Extremely strict very low
carbohydrate diets invariably cause muscle to be lost along with the fat.
Why do low carbohydrate diet proponents talk so much about “ketosis?”
The goal of some very low carbohydrate diets is to produce the metabolic state
known as ketosis. In the absence of carbohydrate, fats burn incompletely, causing by
products called ketone bodies to accumulate in the bloodstream. Being in ketosis is a
sure-fire indicator that your body has been forced to run on fat for fuel. That’s why
achieving ketosis is the primary goal of so many low carbohydrate diets.
Ketosis can occur when your carbohydrates are dropped below 100 grams,
although most people don’t stay in ketosis until carbohydrates go below 30-70 grams a
day. Ketosis can be detected with a urine test. Paper strips called “ketostix” are dipped in
the urine and when they change to a certain color, this indicates you’ve achieved a
ketogenic state.
The “high carb gurus” often argue that ketogenic diets are dangerous and
unhealthy. Ketogenic diets might be dangerous, depending on the parameters of the diet
and a person’s health status, but no sweeping conclusions can be made about their safety
because the research is inconclusive. Many people have stayed on ketogenic diets for
months or even years without complications – including epileptics who use ketogenic
diets to treat their condition.
Whether or not ketogenic diets are unhealthy is uncertain, but the real reason you
should avoid them is because ketosis is not a requirement to burn fat. Only a calorie
deficit is necessary to burn fat. Ketogenic diets are extremely strict and nutritionally
unbalanced. They are what you could call “extreme measures.” It’s an irrevocable law
that the more “extreme” a nutrition program is, the greater the side effects will be and the

more difficult the diet will be to stay on. (Imagine trying to stay on a diet that only allows
you a few cups of salad or veggies and nothing but fat and protein for the rest of the day.)
It’s simply not necessary to remove all your carbohydrates or go into ketosis to
accelerate fat loss. A moderate reduction in carbohydrates is often all it takes to help to
control blood sugar and insulin better. It’s really just a matter of balancing carbohydrates
with protein instead of eating mostly carbohydrates and small amounts of protein.
Bodybuilders have been doing this for decades, but the mainstream has been very slow in
catching on.
Secrets of low carb dieting: How to get all the low carb benefits without the low carb
side effects
Reading the list of side effects and disadvantages might be enough to make you
steer clear of ever using a reduced carbohydrate diet. However, most of these problems
occur by using a “conventional” low carbohydrate diet. Bodybuilders do things a little
differently, and the result is often magnificent muscularity and rock bottom body fat
levels – without the negative effects!
There are three secrets to getting all the benefits of low carbohydrate dieting
without all the side effects. The first is carbohydrate tapering, which is the practice of
eating more carbohydrates early in the day and fewer later in the day. The second secret
is using moderate carbohydrate reductions, not the removal of all carbohydrates. The third
is carbohydrate cycling. When combined, the results of these three techniques can
increase fat loss beyond your wildest dreams and expectations! Lets take a closer look at
each one.
The carbohydrate tapering technique for maximum fat loss
In chapter seven, we talked about meal frequency and timing. I mentioned that
although you’ll be eating a meal approximately every three hours, not all these meals
have to be the same size. If you want to get leaner quickly, a simple way to accelerate fat
loss is to reduce the size of your late day meals. This technique is known as “calorie
tapering” or “carbohydrate tapering.”
Simply cut out the starches in your evening and late afternoon meals, leaving the
green fibrous carbohydrates, lean proteins and essential fats. Examples of late day fibrous
carbohydrate and lean protein meals include; (1) broccoli and chicken breast with a 1/2
tbsp of flaxseed oil, (2) tuna fish in a green salad with olive oil & vinegar dressing, (3)
Asparagus and salmon. When you drop the starchy carbohydrates from your last two

3:1 Carbohydrate “Cycling” – The Most Effective Fat Burning Technique EVER!
A low to moderate carbohydrate and high protein diet will cause much faster fat
loss than a high carbohydrate diet. However, it may seem like the disadvantages
outweigh the benefits. Fortunately, there’s a solution to these problems and it’s called
“carbohydrate cycling.” Some people refer to carbohydrate cycling as “zig-zag” dieting,
“Hi-low” dieting, “carbing-up” or carbohydrate “re-feeding.”
Regardless of what you name it, carbohydrate cycling is probably the most
powerful fat burning strategy on the planet. Nothing else even comes close. It is the
ONLY guaranteed way to outwit the body’s starvation response when calories and
carbohydrates are low. Not only do you avoid a negative response, but you also invoke
many positive responses that do not occur when holding your carbohydrates and calories
at the same low level day in and day out. That’s the main problem with conventional low
carbohydrate diets – they suggest that you drop your carbohydrates and keep them low.
What I am suggesting is that you drop your carbohydrates for a few days, then increase
them again before your body figures out what the heck is going on!
Carbohydrate cycling has been a well-kept secret of bodybuilders and fitness
models for decades, but anyone can use it to accelerate fat loss or break a plateau. The
beauty of this method is that it allows you to get all the fat loss benefits of low
carbohydrate dieting without the low carbohydrate side effects. Most important, it keeps
your metabolism elevated and prevents you from going into starvation mode.
Why you shouldn’t stay on low carbohydrates for more than three days in a row
After three days in a row on low carbohydrates, your glycogen levels will be
almost completely depleted. If you were to continue on low carbohydrates for a fourth
day, fifth day, or beyond, you would notice your energy and training intensity begin to
diminish. You would also notice that your muscles would “flatten out” and become
softer. Your metabolic rate would begin to slow down and your thyroid gland would
decrease its output of thyroid hormone. Basically, your diet would become less and less
effective the longer you stayed on low carbohydrates beyond the three day period. Your
body is so “smart,” it simply makes changes in physiology and metabolism to compensate
for the prolonged lack of carbohydrates (which it interprets as starvation). That’s why you
have to “shake things up” and keep your body off guard by throwing in a high
carbohydrate day every fourth day.
High days and Low Days
Carbohydrate cycling is based on the concept of rotating low carbohydrate days
with high carbohydrate days instead of keeping carbohydrates low all the time. Every
fourth day your glycogen levels are restored with a “carb load” or “high carb day” (also
known as “high day”). Your energy stays up, your muscles fill out and tighten and your
metabolic rate gets a boost as if you squirted lighter fluid on a dwindling fire.
The high day also makes your entire diet easier to stick with because no matter
how difficult it is to get through those three low days, you have a “high day” to look
forward to (Believe me, eating all those yummy carbs after three days without them is like
getting a “high!”). The “high day” also bypasses all the side effects. You get noticeably
leaner with every three-day low carbohydrate cycle as your body dips deeply into stored
body fat without the carbohydrates readily available for fuel. Surprisingly, you may even

continue to get leaner even on the high carbohydrate days because of the boost in
metabolic rate.
Carbohydrate cycling also prevents your body from becoming inefficient at using
carbohydrates for energy. When you cut your carbohydrates out for a long time, your
body begins depending on fat for fuel and it learns how to use fat for fuel more
efficiently. You often hear low carbohydrate diet proponents say that the low
carbohydrate diet turns you into a “fat burner” while a high carbohydrate dieter turns you
into a “sugar burner.” This may be true, but there’s a huge downside to staying on low
carbohydrates all the time and becoming an exclusive “fat burner:” Your body becomes
lazy and inefficient at burning carbohydrates. When you eat them again after a long
absence, your body doesn’t know what to do with them. This is one of the reasons you
will simply blow up overnight and gain weight back the minute you re-introduce
carbohydrates after a long absence. Unless you plan on never eating a carbohydrate ever
again, you’d better think twice about long-term carbohydrate restriction. Low
carbohydrate diets are NOT “lifestyle” programs.
What’s the alternative? Carbohydrate load every fourth day. When you
carbohydrate load a depleted muscle, the carbohydrates are quickly soaked up by the
muscle on that fourth day because the muscles are “hungry” for carbohydrates. By
repeated cycles of depletion and re-loading, your muscles become extremely efficient at
storing carbohydrates as muscle glycogen rather than partitioning them to body fat.
Fine tuning the carbohydrate cycling method
As you get leaner and leaner, you may find that you lose weight too quickly on the
3:1 carbohydrate cycling plan (no kidding!) As you learned in earlier chapters, it’s not a
wise idea to lose more than 1.5 to 2.0 lbs of body weight per week. If you lose more than
two pounds per week, you are much more likely to be losing LBM with the fat.
If you lose lean mass or drop weight too quickly, you should adjust your high to
low day ratio by increasing your carbohydrates (and calories) overall or by keeping your
low days the same and adding more high days. You can do three low carbohydrate days
followed by two or three high carbohydrate days. Taking two or three high days after
three low days will not only help reduce muscle loss, it may allow you to gain small
amounts of muscle as you lose body fat. It’s not uncommon for my clients to lose 18-24
pounds of fat in three months, while gaining three to four pounds of muscle in the same
period while using the is technique.
It’s very difficult to put down one single example of 3:1 carbohydrate cycling as
I’ve described it here and have it apply to everyone. A little bit of experimentation and
fine tuning will be necessary to discover what amount of carbohydrate works best for
your high and low days. It’s absolutely essential for these types of advanced diets to be
customized.
On average, women would consume about 90-130 grams of carbohydrates on low
days and about 200 to 250 grams of carbohydrates on high days. Men would consume
150-200 grams of carbohydrates on low days and 300-400 grams of carbohydrates on
high days. These are just averages, as every person is different. The only way to determine
how many grams of carbohydrates are right for you is to experiment until you find your
"optimal level" and the results start coming.
On your low carbohydrate days, eat protein and starchy carbohydrate in your early
day meals (meals one through three), then in your late day meals (meals three to six) eat
protein with only fibrous carbohydrates like green vegetables and salad – no starchy
carbohydrates! On your high days, you can eat starchy carbohydrates with every meal
(and if you’re going to have a “cheat day” make it on a high day).
Conclusion
So that’s it! I’ve absolutely emptied out my brain and revealed my most megaeffective
secrets to maximum fat loss. These are some very powerful techniques, but
remember; carbohydrate cutting taken to the extreme will do more harm than good.
Never cut your carbohydrates out completely and never stay on low carbohydrates for a
long period of time. It''s usually not wise to go to extremes in anything and this is as true
for dieting as with anything else in life: Moderation is the key.

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
whoa .. sorry i totally made the page stretch!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just poking my head in to say "hi" everyone
35.gif

I''ve been out of the loop for a few weeks but went back to the gym today.

Hope everyone has a fun holiday weekend. Be safe.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
sevenwires I have bee doing this a bit lately following the Tom Veneto (i think that''s his name) "burn the fat feed the muscle program. There''s also a yahoo group that is really helpful if yo wwant to follow this way of eating.
I have toned up and lost fat rather than lbs.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice to see you Jeff!!!

Seven wires, where did that article on weight loss come from? I was just curious; I haven't read it all but what I have is very interesting.

I just found out that I can't eat that slow churned Ice cream; it makes me extremely thirsty in a weird way. I thought it was heaven but this is the second day in a row that I need to drink a huge jug off water. Off to see how much sodium is in it???

ETA: there isn't a lot of sodium, but it does say sensitive people will have an laxative effect.
20.gif

Sevenwires

Rough_Rock
Katebar, thanks for the tip on the yahoo group! I''m going to check it out. I found this way of eating is really helpful for me.. .and I don''t end feeling so "blah" from staying on a low carb diet for too long.

Skippy, this is a E-Book I purchased online for something like $39. Its a really great book on excercise and dieting...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, I guess everyone is kicking of their weekend and probably out and about or out of town! Whichever it is have a wonderful weekend friends
35.gif
I might go to the movies and Sunday is my goddaughters 1st birthday so I am excited for that!

I just got back from a 5 mile walk!!!! I was lazy yesterday I didn't make my walk so today I knew I had to push myself.

For lunch at Savoy Bar and Grill hubby and I shared the local caprese salad w/yellow and red tomatoes as our appitizer. I had the prime rib french dip on a roll w/gruyere cheese; I swear it melts in your mouth and it was served w/parm fries
11.gif
. Hubby had the scallops in risotto w/green chili! We walked out full; I am not hungry tonight; thank goodness we eat like that only once in awhile and it was worth it. hehe

Best wishes for an awesome Weekend l
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Happy Friday Evening/Night All!

Skip, I''m still here...will be until Sunday. Hooray for a fantastic walk!

We had roasted chicky, pototaes and bread for dinner, a lot more high carb than usual, but that''s okay as we haven''t gone out for dinner at all this week. Went on a great 3 mile or so walk this evening (I can''t believe I bought a pedometer and forgot it, even if it is a cheap sucky one!).

I got some good house cleaning in this afternoon and am really looking forward to some football and a BBQ tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a lovely evening!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, quite an article on carbs Seven. I still make sure I get carbs in my diet, but then I''ll never be a body builder, so being as lean as possible isn''t important to me. Still, it was very interesting. Thanks

Skippy, I don''t follow the diet in the Core Performance Essentials book. I just wanted a stronger core and use many of the exercises to ensure my core is tough!!

It was a busy Friday. I let everyone leave early this afternoon, which I think they all really really appreciated. I left a few minutes early myself. Then of course as it''s Friday, we had our typical, like clockwork, you guessed it, dinner at favorite sushi spot #1, which was as usual just terrific. Then, and I''m guessing you guessed this too, we had our active culture frozen yogurt treat followed by coffee under the oak tree at Starbucks. It was a very nice evening, and then we came home and had a nice relaxing swim in the pool.

I took my car to the body shop today and scheduled the bumper fix. Monday, September 10th is the day and they''ll be able to do it (supposedly) in just two days. They have a state-of-the-art facility and when I was meeting with the appointment setter, they put the repaired cars in one area and they show you what they did. Today there was a Masserati, an Aston Martin, a couple higher end BMW''s and a Mercedes S class waiting for their owners to come pick them up. Seeing such high end cars gave me much confidence that they will treat my baby with the respect it desserves.

We''re going to have a low key weekend, but workout all three days to make up for missing Thursday evening. And, we still have our plans for our lobster dinner Sunday at the Palm. Woo Hoo!

I hope you''re all looking forward to a splendiferous holiday weekend for sure.

Ps: Good to hear from you Jeff. Glad you''re still working out. Check in more often, OK?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
Happy Friday and hooray for a long weekend.
36.gif
We picked up our GIANT trailer and got it home okay. We will work on it this weekend to get ready for our first camping trip next weekend. It is soooooo big! The bad news is both our parents stopped by to see it tonight so we ending up ordering pizza for everyone for supper. I had 2 pieces of a medium pizza. Aak! It was good though.
Mara, it is interesting to think about what foods can do to your body. I don’t think I could stick to a low GI diet but you are sure doing great on it. That is great you aren’t craving sweets very much.
Monarch, I am glad you have plans with a friend for the weekend. My husband has to travel for work about once a month and that is what I do to help pass the time. Thanks for the kind words about my new found energy; I am enjoying it. I really like my bezel set bracelet, I wear it practically every day. I think I like it better than my 2 ct. diamond tennis bracelet because it is such a different setting. I am sure you get to see all kinds of pretty jewelry now.
Skippy, it sure is getting dark earlier now and I notice fall is in the air in the morning and evenings. Yes, the summer did fly by. I took a few photos so I hope to post them tomorrow. Your dinner at the new restaurant sounds great. Strange about slow churned giving you issues. I will have to check the ingredients. I am glad you had such a great walk today.
DeeJay, your bruise sounds nasty. I get bruises all the time and I have no idea where they come from. I hope your bruise doesn''t hurt. Poor Stubbs! At least he was okay.
Kimberly, have fun at the BBQ and visiting the family this weekend. My little nephew had his 4th birthday yesterday and I was so sad I didn’t get to go to his party. They live 100 miles away though. Rats. I would forget my pedometer too but I am glad you had a lovely walk.
Dixie, it’s good to hear from you. That is great you are no longer eating Jenny''s food and have a great workout plan in place. It is awesome you want to workout now.
Sevenwires, thank you for very interesting article. It gives me “food” for thought. Okay, that''s "cheesy", I know.
Hi Jeff. I hope you have a great weekend too.
Katebar, I don’t know much about your program but it sure sounds promising. Good luck with it.
Rod, it sounds like they will take great care of your baby when they fix the bumper. Aston Martin’s make my ears hurt. When we were car shopping 2 years ago we went to Denver to test drive several brands of cars and were test driving Volvo and Jaguars at one dealer and they told us they had an Aston Martin in the bay so we asked if we could go look at it. My DH and his friend were checking out all the toys, etc. on it and they decided to open the hood and it set off the most awful, ear piercing alarm you ever heard. I think my ears are STILL ringing from it. It was a very cool car though.
I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Marcy

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the new 5th wheeler. Our truck is a F250 with extended cab and 8 foot bed for reference.

mctrailer.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
evening all, about to head off to bed but just wanted to check in...busy day at work but took off at 3:45pm to hit nordstrom rack for some shopping. i am looking for a new laptop tote but want something that is like a designer tote but can double as a laptop bag. they didn''t have too much unfortunately but i did come home with a beautiful Rafe cream colored knotted leather tote that is just droolworthy. it was like $180 and retail is $490. such a steal. it smells very divine. won''t fit the laptop unfortunately!! there was a great Betsey Johnson one that would fit the laptop in a dark brown distressed leather with metal accents but it was $200 and i was hemming and hawing and then i saw this other one and thought omg i want this and then thought later how ironic it was the bag i actually NEEDED i was hemming over and this one was like ''oh gotta have it''. doh. so still looking for a laptop aka purse tote.

came home and did a home workout for 30 min which included a bunch of leg work and arm weights and about 400 jumping jacks. then showered and went to pick up sushi for dinner which we had with our neighbors and their new baby...had a bit of slow churned for dessert. i ate my typical sushi amount, but i picked off basically all the rice. when it was all done it looked like a lot of rice, maybe 1/2c. so i thought interesting, i basically ate the same but no rice and i feel just as full. not bad at all.

now we''re off to bed...a hike tomorrow morning, then i am finally getting new workout shoes with my neighbor who wants me to take her to this store i went to last time to get shoes chosen for us. then i think greg and i are going to either drive somewhere for dinner or take the train somewhere. i love three day weekends and man we need the rest. next week will be grueling work-wise for both of us, argh! but i''ll think about that on TUES.

happy evening all, hope everyone had a great one.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone interested this is the yahoo group. Its not low carb in fact quite contary but they do talk about the right amount of carbs and about carb cycling when you need to shift stubborn pounds.
This is not a weight lifters group but women who are using light weight training coupled with the eating plan of 5 meals a day. I liike the grouip plus they have a great excel program so you can work out much to eat of protein carbs etc. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BFFM4Women/

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, Marcy that is so cool!!!! My cousin who lives in Cali has one and every 4th of July my uncle has a gorgeous ranch in Northern NM and there is a family renuion and people either camps or bring their rv's or 5th wheels. I thought it was a blast to see the inside of one!!! When I was a teen I told my parents they should buy one and then we looked at them and they were almost the cost of an actual house!!!
6.gif

Yay, I love yours!! Tell us about it, please; I would love to hear more
36.gif
36.gif

Happy Saturday all! I will get my evening in; the mornings my allergies are too much to walk so I change to the an evening walk
41.gif
Best wishes for a fantastic day
35.gif

Rod, glad you are getting the car fixed soon, what a bummer. Kimi, yay to see ya.
9.gif
Hey Katebar. Mara, whooo hooo for new shoes
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results