shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 21st August to 28th August

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 7:11:27 AM
Author: coda72
Well, I had one of the best runs last night that I''ve ever had, (at least in recent history)! I only ran 5 miles because my legs are still a bit sore, but I could have run at least 2 or 3 more miles if I wanted. I felt so good that I sprinted the last 3/4 mile of the run, and still felt great when I was done. When I have a run like that, I just get a kind of high for the rest of the night. I guess that''s the closest I''ll get to the runner''s high! It felt even better because lately I feel like I''ve been going through the motions. Running has been more of a chore, and I''ve been just wanting to get it over with. Hopefully, this will keep up, and I will coast the rest of the way to the half marathon only 25 days away!

I think the rest of this week that I''ll be taking it easy, doing 5 mile runs, maybe one 8 mile run if I''m feeling good.

I got my heart rate monitor last night, and I found out that I''m actually running above my aerobic zone. Since it was a shorter run, and I felt great, I just went with it, but I think on longer runs I''m going to slow down and hopefully slow my heart rate.
That''s exactly what I found when I ran Coda. I was running too fast and pooping out too quickly. This last run, I made sure I paid closer attention to my cardio zone and managed to run 4 miles, albeit slower, but 4 solid miles none-the-less, without fatique.

Glad you had such a good run!!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yum rod, my coworker had the spaghetti yesterday at work and i was like is that the LC spaghetti?!?! it smelled so good. hehee. she loves them too.

interesting about not losing weight anymore for you, just building muscle. i still feel like that is where i am at. i did 6 workouts last week and i''m doing it again this week and i have been really good about food intake (except for the weekends of course which i actually am being ''better'' about than i had been in the past) and the scale is STILL at 149-150! i weighed myself yesterday. BUT i measured my waist and hips and all that on monday and i lost another 1/2 inch in my waist and my hips are finally going down a bit (stubborn hips) and my upper hips (aka low rise jean kinda area) i lost about 1/2 inch too. and i can see visual differences. so i must just be losing fat and gaining muscle. which i guess is fine but DAMN i''d love the scale to move and do SOMETHING. well something lower than 150. hehe. so whatever, i will keep plugging away, but it''s kind of discouraging sometimes on the weight thing. i don''t know how much more ''muscle'' i really need. i am already a strong girl...hehe.

coda, yes that is what was happening to greg...he was running too near his max and when he brought it down consciously is when he is now able to run farther. now that he has this heart rate monitor he''s so motivated, he went out on sunday and he''s going out today again as well to run. he''s brought his runs up from 25-30 minutes to 40 minutes so far in just a week and today he is going to try to go for 45 and i told him to wear my pedometer to see how far he is running (he doesn''t think his HR monitor tracks it but i figured it probably does and he just doesn''t know the setting yet, hehe), he''s estimating a 7.5 minute mile so he thinks about 5ish miles or so, so far. but he used to get tired around certain landmarks (this park/garden a few miles from here) and now he says he can go around the park once or twice then into the neighborhoods for a while and still feel fine. so he''s pretty happy with the HR monitor and keeping his HR lower so he can run longer. sounds perfect for marathons!

yay lorelei, how excited are you for the new machines!!?!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 12:48:17 PM
Author: Mara
yum rod, my coworker had the spaghetti yesterday at work and i was like is that the LC spaghetti?!?! it smelled so good. hehee. she loves them too.

interesting about not losing weight anymore for you, just building muscle. i still feel like that is where i am at. i did 6 workouts last week and i''m doing it again this week and i have been really good about food intake (except for the weekends of course which i actually am being ''better'' about than i had been in the past) and the scale is STILL at 149-150! i weighed myself yesterday. BUT i measured my waist and hips and all that on monday and i lost another 1/2 inch in my waist and my hips are finally going down a bit (stubborn hips) and my upper hips (aka low rise jean kinda area) i lost about 1/2 inch too. and i can see visual differences. so i must just be losing fat and gaining muscle. which i guess is fine but DAMN i''d love the scale to move and do SOMETHING. well something lower than 150. hehe. so whatever, i will keep plugging away, but it''s kind of discouraging sometimes on the weight thing. i don''t know how much more ''muscle'' i really need. i am already a strong girl...hehe.

coda, yes that is what was happening to greg...he was running too near his max and when he brought it down consciously is when he is now able to run farther. now that he has this heart rate monitor he''s so motivated, he went out on sunday and he''s going out today again as well to run. he''s brought his runs up from 25-30 minutes to 40 minutes so far in just a week and today he is going to try to go for 45 and i told him to wear my pedometer to see how far he is running (he doesn''t think his HR monitor tracks it but i figured it probably does and he just doesn''t know the setting yet, hehe), he''s estimating a 7.5 minute mile so he thinks about 5ish miles or so, so far. but he used to get tired around certain landmarks (this park/garden a few miles from here) and now he says he can go around the park once or twice then into the neighborhoods for a while and still feel fine. so he''s pretty happy with the HR monitor and keeping his HR lower so he can run longer. sounds perfect for marathons!

I know how you feel Mara and I feel your pain. Truly I do. Having been pretty much a fat person most of my life and finally finding my fitness "Mojo" at 50, I''m pretified of getting fat and out of shape again. You saw how badly I felt over eating some french fries the week before last. So, I''m so super careful about what I eat and I work out harder than just about anyone I know but then every morning I get on the scale and it "laughs" at me and says........"so, you think I''m going to let you off thinking you''ve lost weight........buahahahahaha!" It''s like taunting me and I know, sadly, that I must continue to give up the fun foods that once comforted my chubby physique and I must continue working out harder and harder and harder and.........
29.gif
Well you get the picture. One of these days, I''m just going to throw the damn scale out. My weight may be on the rise ever so slightly, but my clothes fit looser and my BFI is down. That''s all that matters. Still.......that damn thing challenges me to step up on it every morning............
38.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know rod thats why i dont have a scale!! the one at the gym has to suffice. i know i''d be a slave to it...and that would drive me QUICKLY insane. more insane that is.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

emotion-39.gif
SO NOT HAPPY!!!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I rang the company regarding the treadmill, asking as to it's whereabouts and ETA as I hadn't heard anything. Apparently the driver had OUR treadmill on his vehicle, all ready for delivery to yours truly, when his van got smashed and burgled. Apparently nothing was taken, but the van was damaged, so they have sent the treadmill to some obscure courier company for delivery maybe at the end of the week, or Tuesday as Mon is a holiday. Nice of them to let us know we would have to wait for extra time for our delivery
20.gif
They had promised to deliver this week, I hate it when we buy something and can't get it!!!

I sound spoiled and like I am having a tantrum, but it hacks me off that they weren't more helpful, it seemed like they couldn't have cared less, of course they have our money so why should they worry?
face8.gif

However, I rang the other company in high dudgeon to see what kind of muck up we could expect with the elliptical ( call me pessimistic why don't you!!) and the lady there couldn't have been nicer
36.gif
The ellipticals are due in on Friday, she said for me to call at lunchtime and ask for her by name and she would check that the ellip was in and give us an ETA on that.

So not pleased, but I guess worse things happen at sea...
14.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 1:26:17 PM
Author: Lorelei

emotion-39.gif
SO NOT HAPPY!!!!!
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I rang the company regarding the treadmill, asking as to it's whereabouts and ETA as I hadn't heard anything. Apparently the driver had OUR treadmill on his vehicle, all ready for delivery to yours truly, when his van got smashed and burgled. Apparently nothing was taken, but the van was damaged, so they have sent the treadmill to some obscure courier company for delivery maybe at the end of the week, or Tuesday as Mon is a holiday. Nice of them to let us know we would have to wait for extra time for our delivery
20.gif
They had promised to deliver this week, I hate it when we buy something and can't get it!!!

I sound spoiled and like I am having a tantrum, but it hacks me off that they weren't more helpful, it seemed like they couldn't have cared less, of course they have our money so why should they worry?
face8.gif

However, I rang the other company in high dudgeon to see what kind of muck up we could expect with the elliptical ( call me pessimistic why don't you!!) and the lady there couldn't have been nicer
36.gif
The ellipticals are due in on Friday, she said for me to call at lunchtime and ask for her by name and she would check that the ellip was in and give us an ETA on that.

So not pleased, but I guess worse things happen at sea...
14.gif
Oh Dear......It's like Santa's sleigh got into a fender bender and Christmas was postponed huh??? I know how you feel when your expectations and hopes are not met. Hopefully, you'll get your new toys post haste and soon you'll be 'groovin to rhythmic tunes while "Treading" and "Ellipticising" (how's that for a new word?) your way to that slimmer, trimmer even more beautiful you!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 1:34:52 PM
Author: Rod

Oh Dear......It''s like Santa''s sleigh got into a fender bender and Christmas was postponed huh???
...yes...
8.gif
39.gif
39.gif
emcry.gif
...sniff...
15.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 1:37:50 PM

Date: 8/23/2006 1:34:52 PM

Oh Dear......It''s like Santa''s sleigh got into a fender bender and Christmas was postponed huh???
...yes...
8.gif
39.gif
39.gif
emcry.gif
...sniff...
15.gif
There there, Virginia......Santa''s on his way.....He just stopped off at the toy store to make sure your toy''s are perfect when they come.
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Promise?...
3.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 1:58:13 PM
Promise?...
3.gif
As one of Santa''s dutiful helpers, I would never lie to such a nice young lady
9.gif
12.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Just got back from yoga class #2 this week, which was great. I wasn''t as sore from Monday so it wasn''t too hard or tiring, but the room was so hot it was like we were in a Bikram class! Also walked 15 minutes to work this morning.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am afraid I may have to miss the gym
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
. It''s Tuesday, and a normal gym day. But I''m working from home today, because finally, after two months our condo developer decided to grace us with the presence of tile, electrical, paint and door people. Finally, they painted the exterior doors of our home, but the paint is oil based and takes hours to dry. So, I may have to just sit here with partially open doors and not be able to go the gym..............
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/23/2006 1:08:01 PM

I know how you feel Mara and I feel your pain. Truly I do. Having been pretty much a fat person most of my life and finally finding my fitness ''Mojo'' at 50, I''m pretified of getting fat and out of shape again. You saw how badly I felt over eating some french fries the week before last. So, I''m so super careful about what I eat and I work out harder than just about anyone I know but then every morning I get on the scale and it ''laughs'' at me and says........''so, you think I''m going to let you off thinking you''ve lost weight........buahahahahaha!'' It''s like taunting me and I know, sadly, that I must continue to give up the fun foods that once comforted my chubby physique and I must continue working out harder and harder and harder and.........
29.gif
Well you get the picture. One of these days, I''m just going to throw the damn scale out. My weight may be on the rise ever so slightly, but my clothes fit looser and my BFI is down. That''s all that matters. Still.......that damn thing challenges me to step up on it every morning............
38.gif
Rod,

I DO believe that we are the only guy participants here...AND we''re both 50!!! Actually I''ll be 50 in December.
I''ve thankfully never had a weight problem. My biggest concern is my waist and distribution of body fat to that area. It''s kinda normal from what I''ve read but I hate it nevertheless. So Friday I''ll start working on a plan at my new gym and I''m still taking Jujitsu lessons on Monday. I''m a contact sport type of guy who likes boxing, football and martial arts. Sorry, golfing is not for me! Overall, I feel great when I exercise but lousy when I miss a few days. You are doing great !! Keep it up!!
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAY for having male members, lol! Seriously, thanks for spicing up this thread with a little testosterone, guys!

OK, I''m pulling a "Mara" here--DH and I went to our favorite Mexican restaurant tonight and had 2 margaritas each. I won''t reveal what he had (ok, rib-eye smothered in chihuahua cheese, spices, peppers, etc.,--gross!) and I had portabello mushroom and pepper fajitas. After the customary (yet wonderful) greasy chips and fabulous salsa, I could only put down 3/4 of a(teeny) fajita. We took home not one, not two, but THREE go-boxes!!! Then I made (yes MADE) DH take me and the d-o-g for a walk around the neighborhood to help that nasty, greasy, un-needed food settle a bit. Oh, and to clear our heads a bit from the margaritas--why do they make them so strong?!

Sorry Mara, but I was completely reminded of you and this thread tonight WHILE we were sitting at the Cafe Salsa enjoying the lovely weather, thinking "right now Mara''s working out or getting really buff or something," LOL! And remembering my walking days when you used to give me props for being the "walking queen!" Ouch! I looked down at my thighs and thought, "what exactly am I going to report to the workout thread tonight/tomorrow?" That I''m slowly going to fat, lol!?

So, my ? calorie indulgence (God, it has to be close to like, 2,000) has got to be worked off! I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to literally run to work tomorrow, jump rope in tow, jump rope at lunch, then run back home. TG I have a job where I can wear workout clothing (the non-revealing kind), and gym shoes, and not be frowned upon, lol!
35.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Monarch, margaritas sound DIVINE!!! mmmmmmm.

Tonite I WAS out working out! Then I went for sushi afterwards with my girlfriend. hehee.
5.gif

But I actually had kind of a random food day...I had my typical breakfast, and then I had some turkey chili for lunch, but then I went home and I bought some spicy hummus and tzatiki yesterday with pita...which is pretty healthy in and of itself EXCEPT for the fact that I just can''t eat 2 tblspoons of the hummus (the serving size). I end up eating like HALF the tub which only has 7 servings in it so I guess I had about 3-4 servings. hehehe. It''s only 50 calories a serving but the bread is a lot. But whatever, there was protein and relatively no fat. hahaha.

Of course then I was kind of full and I had all this energy for the workout which was great. So I tried to work most of it off. hahhaa. At least sushi was pretty healthy!

Monarch you have to get back on the wagon girl!! can you go for walks with any of the gals from your walking group?? I am soooo much more motivated now when I go to the gym and get on the treadmill and can manage what my fitness is going to be vs just walking around the park and stuff. Or what about trying Lizzie''s bootcamp regime?! hehe I want someone to try that so they can report back.

SOOO are we still on for our rice and veggie thing next week? I''ve been thinking about it. hahahaa. Let me know so I can stock up this weekend on goodies (said in a sarcastic tone..HAH!!).

BlueKeet

Shiny_Rock
Mara, you didn't by chance get the spicy hummus and taziki from Trader Joe's? I had both of them in my frig last week. Yeah, to get any sort of satisfaction you end up with half a tub especially on the hummus.

Anyhow, I thought I'd see what else pricescope has to offer after you've seen so much bling the stars in your eyes are permanent.

If I post that I am going to get up early and go for a bike ride does it make it more likely to happen? I think I'll have to test this theory - I have been VERY lazy lately. I'll see if I can help motivate the rest of you. I'll let you know if it works because I'm going to declare my workout plans again if that is the only reason I get out the door in a timely fashion or more likely at all tomorrow.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I am totally on for the rice ''n'' veggies/fruit/juices thing next week!!!

I know I have fallen off the wagon...I really got complacent there with my weight loss/fitting into my old clothes thing. Boo! My old clothes aren''t exactly "stylish" here in Chi. anymore, unfortunately, and that''s not an excuse anymore. Also, I think I''ve gained back , like, 5 pounds the last month or so, and sadly, those clothes don''t fit me like they were anymore. I was under the mistaken impression that it would last and I could go back to my old ways, but, alas, that hasn''t happened. (of course!) I just have to realize I can''t go back to eating my favorite processed foods (cheese pizza, chips n salsa, guacamole, etc.) I have to at least get back into a workout routine to be able to eat those foods!

I SO wish the PS team were here to kick me out of bed in the a.m. and walk with me, or kick me out of my SUV during the day and force me to walk to and from work....sadly, it is my responsibility and I haven''t done that. I also pay a gym electronically every month an ungodly amount of money to just use their facility, which isn''t THAT fabulous...no pool, no hot tub, etc. BUT, the manager was on my Avon Walk team, and I''m sure she can help me get back on the right workout track. It''s just a matter of me getting off my (bloated) butt and getting in there.

Thanks for the kick in the booty, Mara. I needed it. Pvt. Monarch signing off for the night (from the workout thread, hee hee)
9.gif

BlueKeet

Shiny_Rock
I have a Polar HRM. Been using one for almost 5 years and am very happy with it. The best part is getting one you can download to your computer and see the exercise detail in graphs and so forth. Just one more form of motivation I guess. My FI has moved on from Polar to the Garmin Forerunner - a GPS unit. My Polar is useless for distance on runs so the Garmin is pretty handy and if you get lost you can use some back to start feature. Not that I really go anywhere where I would get lost, but you never know. I wear my Polar as an everyday watch as you never know when you might need to workout and somehow I''ve been brainwashed into thinking it doesn''t count if you don''t upload the exercise to your computer. It makes a very big (as wide & tall as the width of 3 of my fingers) watch and I get some strange looks, but the smallest Garmin you wear on your wrist is even bigger. I think they make dainty Polar HRMs, but I use mine mostly for bike riding and apparently that functionality makes it monsterous. Again after 5 years I don''t think it is big (shrinkage must apply to everything), but people who don''t know me think it is odd. One more thing to note is I rarely wear the heart rate strap while running. I''ve gotten some nasty sores along the bra line and I know my heart rate is high when I''m running I don''t need to know exactly what it is.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES bluekeet...the garlic tzatiki and spicy hummus from TJs...i LOVE their hummus and the spicy is my favorite! the garlic tza is actually very healthy, only 30 calories and like 1g of fat for 2 tbls...but again, i end up eating like 4 servings. but i guess it could be worse, like chocolate or something! this is why i don't keep 'snacks' i love in the house, i don't have the best willpower. it's much easier to portion control on something like fruit or a granola bar because it's not SO GOOD you just want one more....like it is with the hummus. hehee.

monarch...i hear ya girl. when we got back from the wedding/honeymoon, i had been going gangbusters on working out before that. when we got back i was like i'm just going to relax for a while and take it easy. well 6 months of chicken pot pies and KFC and fish and chips each week later and i was 10 lbs heavier and going what the hell happened! it's SO hard to get back on the wagon once you take a hiatus. in reality, i realize that because i do love food, like hummus...hehehe and the occasional fish and chips or yummy burger and fries, i need to just work my butt off to stay in shape. it just gets harder the older you get too. so i figure if i just make the time and do it, then i can eat more of what i want than if i could if i didn't just work out. it's tough though for me to do this 6 days a week thing, i feel like i am sore all the time. right now i am exhausted and just can't wait to get to bed. and i have 3 more workout days this week!!!
39.gif
i don't know if i can sustain the 6 days a week thing for very long-term without being tired all the time, but we'll see...i know i can at least do 4 days a week happily since that is what i was doing before i bumped it up to the 6....and if i can get a bit more tone and fit and HOPEFULLY eventually lose like the 5-10 lbs i have been dying to get rid of (on the scale that is)...then i think 4 days a week can maintain. but yes, going all out and then stopping entirely is never the answer, been there, done that. don't worry, you will work it out when you are ready....but just at least keep thinking about it and soon it will be reality and you'll be at the gym or out walking!
5.gif
maybe the detox next week will really get you motivated!

so can we have soy/tofu on this thing? i have been kind of wanting to try it and if we can have the tofu and stuff then i can do a little stir fry thing with some rice and veggies and tofu one night (with a tiny bit of olive oil) to make it more exciting! also can we have soy beans like edamame? hehe i like how we are all trying to figure out what's acceptable so we don't die from boredom just eating rice and veggies plain every night.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good evening, morning my time
9.gif

Just got back from the gym and it went well!
36.gif
Welcome Bluekeet
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2006 1:58:51 AM
YES bluekeet...the garlic tzatiki and spicy hummus from TJs...i LOVE their hummus and the spicy is my favorite! the garlic tza is actually very healthy, only 30 calories and like 1g of fat for 2 tbls...but again, i end up eating like 4 servings. but i guess it could be worse, like chocolate or something! this is why i don''t keep ''snacks'' i love in the house, i don''t have the best willpower. it''s much easier to portion control on something like fruit or a granola bar because it''s not SO GOOD you just want one more....like it is with the hummus. hehee.

monarch...i hear ya girl. when we got back from the wedding/honeymoon, i had been going gangbusters on working out before that. when we got back i was like i''m just going to relax for a while and take it easy. well 6 months of chicken pot pies and KFC and fish and chips each week later and i was 10 lbs heavier and going what the hell happened! it''s SO hard to get back on the wagon once you take a hiatus. in reality, i realize that because i do love food, like hummus...hehehe and the occasional fish and chips or yummy burger and fries, i need to just work my butt off to stay in shape. it just gets harder the older you get too. so i figure if i just make the time and do it, then i can eat more of what i want than if i could if i didn''t just work out. it''s tough though for me to do this 6 days a week thing, i feel like i am sore all the time. right now i am exhausted and just can''t wait to get to bed. and i have 3 more workout days this week!!! i don''t know if i can sustain the 6 days a week thing, but we''ll see...i know i can at least do 4 happily..and if i can get a bit more tone and fit and HOPEFULLY eventually lose like the 5-10 lbs i have been dying to get rid of (on the scale that is)...then i think 4 days a week can maintain. but yes, going all out and then stopping entirely is never the answer, been there, done that. don''t worry, you will work it out when you are ready....but just at least keep thinking about it and soon it will be reality and you''ll be at the gym or out walking!
Yup, You are so right. You know, what I find works for me are time goals. I will be back tomorrow with some goals...I have several in mind...that has always been what works best for me. However, I seem to place precedence (sp?) on one particular goal, achieve it, and then forget about it. I think I need to think of goals in terms of not just in a month, or two months, or a year, but more in terms of lifetime goals. If I look at just a goal I''ve had since joining the workout thread here, it was losing a little weight within a matter of months, meeting my goal of walking 39 miles in one weekend, etc. I never have looked at it (well, I''ve looked at it but not really thought about it) as a permanent lifestyle change, because I''ve always been able to lose weight easily if needed. I''ve always been one of those people who think they need to lose that 5-10 pounds, but never worried about being physically fit. And at this point in my life the pounds have stopped coming off with just diet (at 29.) Now I realize I HAVE to work out no matter what. Unfortunately it is a tough thing to come to terms with, because it''s always been easy for me. (kind of like a good student who never had to study going to college and having to really buckle down when they discover they can''t just get by doing the usual any longer.)

So, I will make my goal list tomorrow, hopefully post it here by the end of the day. Thanks again for the kick in the butt, mara!
9.gif
35.gif
Oh, and everyone else who has inspired me through this thread!!!
36.gif
You all are awesome!!
36.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock

I think with me, even though my heart rate is higher that I''m not feeling worn out. I don''t know if my heart rate is just naturally higher or what when I''m exercising, but when I was just doing my normal pace my heart rate was pretty high. But I can sustain that pace for quite a few miles, so I''m not sure what is going on. But I will continue to monitor my heart rate and slow down when it gets high just so I can get even more miles in.

Bluekeet, my Polar heart rate monitor tracks distance also. It''s not a GPS system like the Garmin, but I''ve heard some negative things about the Garmin not being able to find a satellite signal in wooded areas, and I jog in wooded areas frequently. So, for me with the Polar being quite a bit lower priced along with none of the negatives of GPS, it was the best choice for me.

I didn''t work out last night. I''m taking it kind of easy this week since I''m still having some muscle soreness. I will get in a short run tonight and another tomorrow. Next week I will be kicking it into higher gear. I want to do another 13 mile run sometime midweek, just so I know I''ll be ready for the race.

It''s almost the weekend, everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow GO CODA!!!!!! You are going great girl! It would be great if us WWTers could be there at the race to cheer you on!

I discovered a new exercise out of '' The Complete Idiots Guide to Weight Training,'' this really is an excellent book which is simple to understand, very concerned about safety and humorous to read.

I have tried the reverse crunches where you lay flat with arms by your sides and lift the legs over your body a bit then ease them back. I did 3 sets of 10 to start and they are not that easy. I wouldnt'' dare do traditional crunches due to my spine so I will see how I get on with these.

Also had a phone call, the treadmill will arrive TOMORROW!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
emotion-19.gif
emthup.gif
embeer.gif
3.gif
( HAD TO DO AN EMOTICON OVERLOAD!
41.gif
)

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can exercise without trying by....parking your car far from the mall entrance or blocks away from your work and briskly walking. Gives you a jump start and a chance to observe the birds and the outdoors. When was the last time that you really stopped and checked out the beauty of a park, flowers or lake??

...or walking up and down the stairs instead of taking the elevator. For those of us who must sit at a desk all day...you can stretch and do leg raises.

While I''m watching the news or an event on TV..I move my 12 lb. medicine ball around like a Harlem Globetrotter..it helps my dexterity and I don''t have to think about reps or what I''m doing.

Have a positive, outlook today and everyday
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tomorrow is gym day Jeff? Good luck with that!
35.gif
Also I will try some of your suggestions to fit exercise into my daily routines, as well as the gym stuff. BTW what is a medicine ball?
34.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2006 7:33:50 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Date: 8/23/2006 1:08:01 PM

interesting about not losing weight anymore for you, just building muscle. i still feel like that is where i am at. i did 6 workouts last week and i'm doing it again this week and i have been really good about food intake (except for the weekends of course which i actually am being 'better' about than i had been in the past) and the scale is STILL at 149-150! i weighed myself yesterday. BUT i measured my waist and hips and all that on monday and i lost another 1/2 inch in my waist and my hips are finally going down a bit (stubborn hips) and my upper hips (aka low rise jean kinda area) i lost about 1/2 inch too. and i can see visual differences. so i must just be losing fat and gaining muscle. which i guess is fine but DAMN i'd love the scale to move and do SOMETHING. well something lower than 150. hehe. so whatever, i will keep plugging away, but it's kind of discouraging sometimes on the weight thing. i don't know how much more 'muscle' i really need. i am already a strong girl...hehe.

coda, yes that is what was happening to greg...he was running too near his max and when he brought it down consciously is when he is now able to run farther. now that he has this heart rate monitor he's so motivated, he went out on sunday and he's going out today again as well to run. he's brought his runs up from 25-30 minutes to 40 minutes so far in just a week and today he is going to try to go for 45 and i told him to wear my pedometer to see how far he is running (he doesn't think his HR monitor tracks it but i figured it probably does and he just doesn't know the setting yet, hehe), he's estimating a 7.5 minute mile so he thinks about 5ish miles or so, so far. but he used to get tired around certain landmarks (this park/garden a few miles from here) and now he says he can go around the park once or twice then into the neighborhoods for a while and still feel fine. so he's pretty happy with the HR monitor and keeping his HR lower so he can run longer. sounds perfect for marathons!

I know how you feel Mara and I feel your pain. Truly I do. Having been pretty much a fat person most of my life and finally finding my fitness 'Mojo' at 50, I'm pretified of getting fat and out of shape again. You saw how badly I felt over eating some french fries the week before last. So, I'm so super careful about what I eat and I work out harder than just about anyone I know but then every morning I get on the scale and it 'laughs' at me and says........'so, you think I'm going to let you off thinking you've lost weight........buahahahahaha!' It's like taunting me and I know, sadly, that I must continue to give up the fun foods that once comforted my chubby physique and I must continue working out harder and harder and harder and.........
29.gif
Well you get the picture. One of these days, I'm just going to throw the damn scale out. My weight may be on the rise ever so slightly, but my clothes fit looser and my BFI is down. That's all that matters. Still.......that damn thing challenges me to step up on it every morning............
38.gif
Rod,

I DO believe that we are the only guy participants here...AND we're both 50!!! Actually I'll be 50 in December.
I've thankfully never had a weight problem. My biggest concern is my waist and distribution of body fat to that area. It's kinda normal from what I've read but I hate it nevertheless. So Friday I'll start working on a plan at my new gym and I'm still taking Jujitsu lessons on Monday. I'm a contact sport type of guy who likes boxing, football and martial arts. Sorry, golfing is not for me! Overall, I feel great when I exercise but lousy when I miss a few days. You are doing great !! Keep it up!!
36.gif
Hey Jeff.........Yep, the only two guys here. But, I have you beat on the age front. I'm actually 51, rapidly heading towards 52 in January. Still, I look better today than I did at 30, so I've decided age is quite relative. And, it is indeed possible to fool mother nature. You just have to work harder than 'she' does!!

Good luck on your first gym day tomorrow. We'll all be looking forward to hearing how it went for you. I, unfortunately, won't be able to check in after today. We're headed to DC to be with my family for the weekend.

Take care
35.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good news on the treadmill arrival Lorelei!! See, I told you Santa was still coming. And you've been such a good girl too!!

So, after my rant about not being able to make it to the gym, the front doors were finally dry enough around 7:30 PM last night, so I got to the gym around 8 PM. I've never started a gym session so late, but I was determined not to miss a regular workout. There's a different dynamic after 9 PM (I didn't finish until around 10 PM). There's a more hardcore group there. The really serious body guys are there later. They make a lot of noise grunting and groaning and they seem to use pretty much only the "Big Boy Toys" (free weights) and they drop them on the floor loudly to announce to the other serious dudes that they've done something special?? There's this obvious language and acknowledgement of each other as if to say, they're a different species........LOL LOL.

Actually, since I use the machines more than the free weights, I was able to accelerate my machine time as there was much less competition for the machines I like. AND, "my" elliptical was just sitting there waiting for me, which was a really nice thing.

Still, it was odd seing the difference in the gym at that hour..............

Tonight, we'll go for our third workout. Tomorrow is our day of rest, but we're headed out of town and won't be able to work out the rest of the weekend, which bums me. I'm taking my running shoes though and I plan to at least run while we're gone.

Happy Thursday everyone.

BlueKeet

Shiny_Rock
Coda, you seem very motivated. I sign up for quite a few races (mostly triathlons) and it seems to help keep me going. You never want to show up unprepared. I''m sure you''ll have a great race (1/2 marathon?) it is so much easier running with all those people around and the excitement of the day. I slept this AM so the post thing didn''t work out so well. Alas the day is not over yet, but I have to get off the computer!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just took portia out for a 1m walk around the neighborhood, felt good to get out and stretch the legs a bit.

i am thinking for lunch i am going to pre-empt the whole ''i need a hummus'' fix and actually just have hummus and tzatiki for lunch with pita! that way i don''t feel guilty about wasting snack calories on it, and eating too much for a snack so i get too full. i eat about 300-400 calories for lunch anyway, so with about 1.5 pitas and enough hummus and tza to calm the craving, that''s a good lunch there, lowfat and healthy. and then i won''t want to eat it for a snack later. plus i''m hoping i can FINISH the hummus so it''s gone from the house! hehee. what was i thinking buying these.

tonite i''m going to kbox class, yikes, my legs are not looking forward to it!! then i figure i''ll make us something easy yet healthy for dinner.

greg went for his run last nite and did 45 minutes and burned 750 calories! i''m so jealous of his high calorie burning rate. 45 minutes on the treadmill and i''m burning 360. sheesh! he felt really good about the run too. so he''s definitely up and coming since getting the HR monitor to find out where his comfort levels are. he also runs a high heart rate...almost 190 when he''s working out. by keeping it just at 180 he''s been able to do these longer runs. so small changes can make a difference.

yay lorelei, treadmill is on it''s way! have you tried the parfaits yet?!?!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/24/2006 2:14:50 PM
i just took portia out for a 1m walk around the neighborhood, felt good to get out and stretch the legs a bit.

i am thinking for lunch i am going to pre-empt the whole ''i need a hummus'' fix and actually just have hummus and tzatiki for lunch with pita! that way i don''t feel guilty about wasting snack calories on it, and eating too much for a snack so i get too full. i eat about 300-400 calories for lunch anyway, so with about 1.5 pitas and enough hummus and tza to calm the craving, that''s a good lunch there, lowfat and healthy. and then i won''t want to eat it for a snack later. plus i''m hoping i can FINISH the hummus so it''s gone from the house! hehee. what was i thinking buying these.

tonite i''m going to kbox class, yikes, my legs are not looking forward to it!! then i figure i''ll make us something easy yet healthy for dinner.

greg went for his run last nite and did 45 minutes and burned 750 calories! i''m so jealous of his high calorie burning rate. 45 minutes on the treadmill and i''m burning 360. sheesh! he felt really good about the run too. so he''s definitely up and coming since getting the HR monitor to find out where his comfort levels are. he also runs a high heart rate...almost 190 when he''s working out. by keeping it just at 180 he''s been able to do these longer runs. so small changes can make a difference.

yay lorelei, treadmill is on it''s way! have you tried the parfaits yet?!?!
No No No........I don''t care how good for you hummus is, I just don''t care for it
14.gif
. Glad it''s a nice treat for you though
28.gif

I''ve noticed when on the elliptical, if there''s a girl on one side and a man on the other, the men always have higher heart rates. I suppose most of the guys I see on the elliptical are pushing harder than most of the girls, but we guys also have more heft and maybe once we get our bodies in motion we naturally burn more calories. Chances are that if you burned the calories Greg can burn in the same time, you''d become a skeleton. Funny thing Mother Nature and how our bodies react differently to the same activities??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results