shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 20th Aug toll 26th Aug

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rod, so happy to hear you got good news today! Yay!

DeeJay, I don''t know how you managed not to blow away in this crazy weather! Our power went out at work at 3:30 this afternoon, then we watched as lots of debris blew down the street outside, it was like watching special effects in a movie. We ended up closing three hours early and all going home...I couldn''t take my normal route because there were so many huge old trees down and blocking the road, then I ended up going down Mannheim Rd. and NONE of the stoplights were working, there weren''t even blinking, what a nightmare. Pretty freaky afternoon, I don''t really mind storms but when they interfere with my commute I am not a happy camper, LOL! Hope you''re staying dry tonight, and stay away from those power lines!!!

I''m holed up in the house with the dogs and DH tonight, we''ll probably just watch a movie later and fall asleep listening to the wind, rain, and thunder. Dinner was takeout...DH had chicken vesuvio and I had some of his sicilian salad with portabello mushroom slices I sauteed, and a little pasta I had leftover from lunch today. Hopefully tomorrow the weather won''t be so PANTS-y and I can come home and get a workout in if I have any energy left over! I definitely need to start getting up early enough to do a workout before work, I''m sort of exhausted by the end of the day this week and have lost my workout mojo.

Happy Thursday all, have a great night!
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/23/2007 9:23:11 PM
Author: monarch64
Rod, so happy to hear you got good news today! Yay!

DeeJay, I don't know how you managed not to blow away in this crazy weather! Our power went out at work at 3:30 this afternoon, then we watched as lots of debris blew down the street outside, it was like watching special effects in a movie. We ended up closing three hours early and all going home...I couldn't take my normal route because there were so many huge old trees down and blocking the road, then I ended up going down Mannheim Rd. and NONE of the stoplights were working, there weren't even blinking, what a nightmare. Pretty freaky afternoon, I don't really mind storms but when they interfere with my commute I am not a happy camper, LOL! Hope you're staying dry tonight, and stay away from those power lines!!!

LOL Monnie--I had to WALK HOME in it! Between fighting the wind, and the umbrella turning inside out every 10 feet, and the long black skirt I was wearing getting totally drenched and tripping me up it was rather horrible.

Once (many years and many pounds ago, ha ha) I was LITERALLY lifted off the ground on the Jackson Street bridge in weather like this. I had a super sturdy golf umbrella and my feet literally left the ground. For that one Mary Poppens moment I was absolutely certain I was going to end up in the river!!

Glad you are home safe and sound!

***jas*** check in and let us know you're OK.

jas

Brilliant_Rock

Greetings friends! The plague seems to have left the house, at least for now. I think we all caught a little something from whatever we ate at the Aretha concert the other night. My DH, always one to be different, decided that mild food poisoning wasn't good enough for him and went straight for the inner ear infection. If I didn't know better, I would have sworn he was pregnant. :)

But we're all better today. Because I have new teacher orientation (which makes me smile because my "mentor" has about 1/2 the teaching experience I do...but she will be so helpful in showing me the ropes!) tomorrow, I wanted to not only go in feeling...lighter I guess...but also begin setting routines. I'm in and out of school for the next week and we start in earnest on the 4th, so today I ate fairly healthy...Caesar salad for lunch (using that new salad dressing spritz stuff -- it's pretty awesome!) a granola bar (ok, not so healthy) for a snack, and a homemade breakfast burrito for dinner (basically scrambled eggs, tomato, green onion and a leeetle bit of cheese in a highly fibrous wrap.) Yum. Oh, an to assuage his guilt for going out and playing poker for like the millionth time this month, DH made a pitcher of pina coladas with fresh pina...my absolute fav (in a former life, DH was a bartender. I married him for this and many other reasons)...I literally had 3 ounces because sparkpeople told me I could and still stay within my goals for the day.

I ellipticized for a full 32 minutes! Whee! I drank more than 8 glasses of water....

I'm feeling good from my head to my shoes....oooh oooh ooh ooooh...etc.

/Patti LaBelle

Oh, and in an almost "by the way" kinda thing, my mom drops that my grandmother, my aunt AND my sister all have/had diagnosed thyroid issues (hypothyroidism.) I'm like...well that would have been good to know! And I'll be darned if I don't exhibit a lot of the symptoms (oh except for the moodiness. Oh, shut up.). Now I just have to squeeze in a doctor's appointment.

Rod, honey, I am so happy for you (and Charlie!) what wonderful news after so many weeks where this was haunting you. My guess is that you will sleep the sleep of royalty tonight!

DeeJay -- I almost took you up on the soup offer, but I realized that meeting me for the first time is probably better when I'm not...um...ill. But thanks! You are sweet to check up on me. I'm alive and watching the storm go by! It's fierce!

Mara -- I am so fascinated by what the nutritionist told you...it seems like a combo of a lot of the good advice we hear from so many sources. I am curious how your energy levels will be...they should be fine. So interesting!!!

Monnie -- I lurve me some portobellos. Isn't this storm just wild? I'm sending you some workout mojo.

Skippy -- I hope you are having tons of fun on your trip!!!

Ok gang, I need to try to get to bed in the next 20 minutes so I can get a healthy 8 hours. That's my new goal -- go to bed early and not try to do the NUTSO 5 hours of sleep a night.

I bid you peace, friends. Dream of a world where peanut butter cups are a healthy choice.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone! I have been super bad about checking in as work is REALLY picking up now before the wedding (2 weeks, 2 days, YIKES!). I actually have been working out and eating well and it feels really good to keep it up during this crazy time. Final dress fitting is tomorrow, hopefully all looks good and I can just kind of stay where I''m at or get a teensy bit skinnier before the big day
2.gif

I really wanted to pop in and say YAY ROD! I am so happy for you & Charlie!!!! Congrats on the clean bill of health, that is super awesome/exciting!

And....congrats MrsS!!!!! A new baby is fab!! I hope you have a wonderful healthy pregnancy!

I would love to respond to everyone else, but I am in supreme thank-you writing mode as my very sweet co-workers threw me a shower yesterday!

Have a healthy weekend all!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Rod, I''m so glad you feel OK with the world! And I''m glad you went out to dinner! As long as your headache wasn''t too bad, I definitely thought that was the thing to do to celebrate and unwind.

I am happy tonight. I sort of got my classroom set up (stuff in drawers isn''t organized, I need to reread my summer reading assignments, and I need to make plans and copies for the first days . . . but at least my desks are arranged and my bulletin board fabric and borders are up), I hung out with my two friends from work who are pretty much my only regular girlfriends (sans husbands/partners) these days, and our neighbors came back from vacation. We just met them this past February when we moved, but the mom/wife was my professor in college, and we have some sort of understanding of each other. I began describing to them my NYC city experience and life-crisis, and she interrupted my husband and her daughter who were just chattering to say that she totally got how I was feeling, and that I needed to vent, and we should buy Jet Blue tickets on weekends every few months and go up there. And I was like, yes, only my crazy hippy yoga goddess professor neighbor could make me feel better about this.

And tomorrow our best friends are coming to visit. We''re visiting them next weekend, but they''re bored and lonely in their new place and called last minute to see if they could come up for just a bit. So we''ll see them tomorrow night, and then they''ll probably stay here while we''re gone the rest of the weekend. And my yoga goddess professor loves them too and have planned to meet up on our porch.

Then we''re off to my parents'' surprise 40th wedding anniversary dinner. Which they are reportedly dreading, heh heh, because they''ve been invited by my siblings who have small children (half of whom have never been disciplined, and the other half who are tiny and unpredictable). One of their groomsmen whom they never see is traveling from hundreds of miles away, along with other friends and family. It should be quite a surprise! My sister might tell them there''s a surprise waiting for them if they seem too reluctant or just to soften the shock (I remember that I was just totally confused and inundated by data that didn''t make sense when I was thrown a surprise party . . . "But what? But huh? But you . . . but who? What???!!!"). But they still won''t know that 40 friends and family have come from near and far to have dinner with them. Goodness . . . I''ve been planning this for so long, that I can''t quite grasp that they will finally know the truth soon! They think I''m "too busy" to be there this weekend.

In thread related news, my workouts haven''t been the hour to hour and a half glorious workouts of a woman who''s not working the last couple of days, but I''ve done them (4.4 mile walk yesterday, 40 minute Firm video today). I cooked rice, beans, and bell peppers for dinner, and I felt good about that. Our friends suggested going out tomorrow night (probably because they didn''t want to both invite themselves over AND force us to cook them dinner), but DH decided to cook his new salmon in red wine reduction tomorrow night, which we''ll probably have with asparagus and couscous. YUM!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Night All!

Phoenix, I''m glad you found someone who can relate and help,you deal! Have a wonderful time at the suprise party!

Rod, sounds like you had a fantsatic evening..I''m glad you and Charlie went out and celebrated.

Wow, Chicago friends, sounds like quite a mess in the windy city. Be safe!

J and I just went for a fantastic 45 minute walk...we didn''t intend to go so far but are so glad we did. Probably about 2.5-3 miles in all. A nice way to end the day.

Nighty night, WWTers!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Well, I was a bit off program today foodwise (grabbed a chicken dish that I KNOW wasn''t the best choice), but hubby and I made up for it with a rousing 50-min. walk tonight. DRAGGED poor Nicky, who thinks we''ve drafted him for BOOT CAMP in the last two nights! Hysterical!

Enjoy the evening, all.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I hope you all had a great day!
Rod, I am so relieved and delighted to hear you don’t have cancer. I am certain both you and Charlie feel like a giant weight has been lifted off your shoulders. It sounds like you guys had a marvelous, relaxing evening. Something you certainly deserved.

My husband and I stopped at a nearby restaurant for supper then went out to the mall. I bought a knit top and a new pair of shoes. Shoes are a big problem for me. I had a stress fracture on my right foot about 8 years ago and started wearing the same type of running shoe that kept my foot really straight. Now that I can probably get by with wearing some different shoes I can’t find anything that doesn’t scare me to wear it for any length of time. I fear messing up my feet again and being laid up for awhile. That would be AWFUL at this point in my life. Anyway I bought a real comfortable pair of Born shoes tonight so I am wearing them around the house tonight to see how I do with them.
Kimberly, going to bed so early sounds divine. I try sometimes but can’t fall asleep if I do. Thanks for the compliment. I am glad you had a nice walk with John tonight.
DeeJay, it is great to hear one of your favorite skirts is getting too big; but it is so sad when you have to part with clothes you really like. I have been really comparing myself to other people lately and I told my husband tonight; I am pretty much in the middle right now. I am probably smaller now than a lot of the ladies at work and I used to think I’d be happy to be their size. I feel so “normal” sized now. You do have some brilliant ideas about lunch and walking.
Thanks, Al. I will be sooo excited when I cross over the 200 mark. I would certainly rather reach that goal than have a muffin or cc cookie. If you told me that a year ago, I would not have believed it. I am glad to hear you had a nice walk and nice talk with your husband. Thank you for providing us so much info on the GI.
Neatfreak, please eat a brownie for me. I love brownies. I hope the weather improves.
NYC, your supper sounds really good. It is kind of sad to see how little ½ c of mashed potatoes is; but I do love them too.
Mara, your 2 week program sounds pretty good. I am sure you’ll do great at it. The sugar rush is very interesting. I can certainly see where I suffer from that.
Linda, I am so glad to hear you beat cancer. That is pretty scary.
Tdiddy, I just returned a pair of Asics; they seemed to be hurting my feet. I’ve worn men’s Saucony’s for years and loved them. I am having a hard time finding new shoes. $150 is worth it for great shoes though. Of course, you’ll win a marathon in them.
Monarch, it sounds like there is pantsy weather everywhere. We had a real bizarre storm here last night. Lightning was so intense it was going off like a strobe light and the thunder was constant. My poor flowers look really beat up today.
Jas, I’m glad to hear the plague has left your house. I hope you both feel better soon. Great idea to get enough sleep; I need to adapt that concept myself. It’ll never happen, but it’s a great idea! I usually sleep 6 to 7 hours.
Danielle, I am sure your dress will fit you perfectly! I hope you got many lovely gifts at your shower.
PhoenixGirl, it sounds like you are getting organized at school. I am glad your friends are coming to visit. The party for your parents sounds really nice. They will be so surprised to have that many people there.
Tomorrow is Friday! Yeah.
Marcy

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
tdiddy, okay here is a question for you. when your nutritionist told you to eat 2k cals per day, how did you do it? i ask this because honestly, i don''t know if i can consume 1800 cals per day on a daily basis with the ''green light'' stuff based on the GI chart. today i have had about 1350 cals and it''s not for not eating...i had breakfast the way i normally do, a slice of the sprouted bread for snack with tea, egg white salad on 2 slices of sprouted bread for lunch with mini tomatoes, then 0% fage with LS jam, a luna bar, and then dinner was TJ''s salmon with cream cheese and shrimp, 1/2 a baked crab cake, and 2 servings of green and yellow green beans with a bit of lemon juice and evoo and black pepper. dessert was a serving of my slow churned mint choco chip ice cream. i feel pretty good, i could eat a little bit more but we are going to bed in like 5 minutes so i don''t want to.

where i get tripped up is the sweets. oh so and so''s bday is tomorrow? well knowing that, i leave myself room to splurge, so i would eat like i ate today but then have a 300 cal piece of cake (or two) as well. so that makes up my ~1800 cals. however with this GI 2 week thing, i can''t do that, i only have one treat per day..and a small one. so how do i get more cals without eating a ton more volume which i don''t want to do because i am trying to also implement portion control and not overeat. and i have a REALLY hard time mentally *wanting* to consume more cals. i am so conditioned to remember to eat less from the last year of losing. but my nutritionist thinks part of my problem is not eating enough. so i want to try to eat more, but gosh i have such a hard time. and how many vegetables can one really eat?? sure i could eat like 20 almonds (2 servings) for like 250 cals...just to get the cals in...but is that the way to go.

so anyway, curious tdiddy how you met the 2k cals and what you consumed to do it (aka all the right foods?). i am figuring i will lose weight in these 2 weeks on this diet...i also plan to cut back on working out a bit as well...and if that does get me down the ~3 lbs i want, then i can use the nutritionist to figure out how to help me maintain, which as you all will probably recall, is my biggest problem. how do i not cut out breads and sweets entirely but not splurge too much either. my problem is moderation and what happens when the 2 weeks is over and i want a big fat dessert. it is easy for me to do something like this for 2 weeks knowing there is an end, but what about ''forever''. that is so much more daunting to me. much of it is a mental restructure of how i think about eating, which i am working on for sure. anyway i will keep everyone posted on ''progress'' if there is any. hehee.

rod the last few days were totally liberating in a weird way! i could not worry about having to fit a workout in and i ran errands and did my meeting with the nutritionist, was able to get more work done, etc. traveling the last few weeks has really put a dent in a lot of typical things i take care of when around all the time. so i figure once that all irons out it will be easier.

went for a ~6m hike tonite with my girlfriend...the time passes so fast when we are just walking along chatting and i don''t even notice the strenuous parts that have me huffing and puffing when i am alone. then dinner was TJ''s salmon stuffed with cream cheese and shrimp (only 250 cals and 28g protein!), 1/2 a baked crab cake, and 2 servings of green and yellow beans. it was yummy but i wasn''t super interested in dinner tonite for whatever reason. i just wanted to get the right amount of nutrients in. and ice cream was yummy..my sole treat!!

anyhow, hope everyone had a great thurs and is looking fwd to fri. jas sorry to hear about the plague..that is seriously no fun. my friend just had the stomach flu for 3-4 days, wonder if it is going around. rod, so glad to hear you are enjoying the car finally!! DJ sorry to hear about the pantsy weather...chips at 10am woman? skippy i dont know if you are gone yet but if you are hope you are having fun!! pg, good for getting the classroom ready, my mom went back to school today as well and is getting her classroom in order for next week. kim, steak and tater tots sound yummy...i just tossed 1/2 a bag of tt''s that i bought in a moment of weakness previously then realized they were so not as good as i remember from childhood lol...i prefer the alexa fries, what brand do you guys get? of course this is a moot point for the next 2 weeks since i can''t have potatoes! heee. monnie, yikes for power outages and creepy stoplights. hope everyone is warm and safe tonite. hope all are looking fwd to friday!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FANTASTIC NEWS ROD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I think an easy way to get some more "good" calories in is to add a bit of whole grains to your dinners. Brown rice, quinoa, couscous, all these grains seem to be things that you don''t regularly eat but they will add some calories pretty fast in a healthy way.

Just a thought!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All,

Today is a bit busy, I''m subbing (last day in this class) and then babysitting tonight, I have to fit in school and dinner in between. I''ll probably take the kidlets for a walk this evening just to get us all out of the house. We''ve finally cooled down, the weather has been wonderful the past few days.

Mara, I still love tator tots as much as I did as a kid. We had 365 Organic tots from Whole Foods for dinner last night. They were like mashed potatoes inside, seriously yummy.

Happy Friday!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
neatfreak, thanks for the suggsest. problem is, i don't like rice all that much and actually it's not on this list of things i am allowed to eat for 2 weeks. the only real grains i can have is the sprouted bread, whole/multi grain pasta (and i don't really like pasta that much), and high fiber cereals. i'm eating the sprouted bread like a madwoman though. haha.

the thing is that i also don't want to consume all that much more volume..and rice and those other grains are so filling. i do like wild rice mixes and barley, but anyway for these 2 weeks i can't really eat it. i guess i could eat more beans in our dinners but most of the time it's whatever is quick and easy.

so anyway, this morning having my cereal mix, probably shouldn't be having corn flakes anymore but i really like the crunch they add to the go lean and morning lite cereals and it's only 2g sugar for 1 serving and i put in like 1/3 of a serving. with real ff milk instead of almond milk to try to get more protein, coffee w/ ff milk.

so happy today is friday...except that this project i am working on is totally up in the air as to when it might go live...it's supposed to be monday but it might slip through no fault of my team's but we have to be ready in case it does not and we will know basically sunday night up to midnight. so HOPEFULLY it goes off sunday night and then we can launch it monday...keeping mega fingers crossed as the workaround is not pretty. i'd rather be checking email and all that sunday night to know it's all good and know that my monday will be slammed in the normal way i expected than find out it didn't happen and then on monday we're all in fire drill mode. we shall see!! however i plan to enjoy the wkd as much as possible as i am so burnt from this week!

and i'm a little sore in the ab area from my hike yesterday...! it's funny because eating clean so leans me out in my midsection right away...it only takes a few days overall to see visual changes for me. just like after a huge carby meal it shows right away there too. oh how i would love to not have a sweet tooth at all and be one of those people who craves veggies lol.

anyhow hope everyone is doing well this morning, yay for friday. not sure what we are doing tonite...i suggested we stay kind of local and do something low key then maybe go into SF or Monterey or something tomorrow evening and leave mid afternoon. i kind of want to get mexican tonite because at our fave place their tacos are TASTY, i get the chicken and don't eat the tortillas and then load them up with pinto beans, salsa, lettuce, a bit of cheese and some guac and mmmm. or we could have mediterranean where i could get chicken kebabs and veggies. i am so addicted to chicken lately...the way that mediterranean places make it, or even the local indian place has a great tandoori chicken with a rub on it that they just bake...super healthy. you just can't eat the rice and bread and stuff that comes with it. they do have an ala carte method.

kim, i havent had the 365 ones from WF....ooh must try. okay, off to ready myself for the daily grind, happy friday all.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey all - super super busy week here (equipment broke at our lab and screwed up everyone''s schedule), but I just wanted to check in and say YAY ROD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I was checking on Thursday all day for the news and I''m so glad it was positive. I hope you are enjoying your new-found relaxation not having to worry about this and that you and Charlie have something extra-special and fun (besides driving your hot new cars around
31.gif
) for the weekend!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
MarcyC

I haven''t heard of that brand of shoe before are they comfortable? I have to watch the shoes I wear too, because of my MS. I can''t run, but when I can I walk a lot. I found the ONLY shoe comfortable for me is Reebok or Ryka.

Linda P.S. Thank you for your comment on my beating cancer. I am happy too. I was a scary ordeal

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Rod - great news! I am so happy for you. Now you can relax!
emsmile.gif

I am learning a lot about nutrition on this thread! So much to learn about what we eat and how it affects our bodies. I actually took a nutrtion class a few weeks ago about lowering your triglycerides (for my husband) and it was really very interesting. Ends up alcohol, sweets, and carbs are the worst for that condition. Those were the things he ate the most of! I''ve been trying to switch what we buy at the store but it''s tough when it''s what you''ve eaten for so long. Funny thing is she actually said natural mayo wasn''t nearly as bad as people say it is. I always thought it was awful for you. The key is moderation! Something my husband needs to keep in mind when he reaches for that second sandwich.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone,

Today was a much more relaxed day for sure. We had to take Charlie''s Bimmer in to have them install the Satellite Radio which was included in the deal, but they didn''t have the receiver in stock when we got the car Tuesday. So they gave us a loaner and then we returned this afternoon to pick it up and they had even programmed the Satellite to the 12 stations Charlie identified as his favorites. No, that''s service! We had a really bad thunderstorm this afternoon, so of course we had to wipe down both puppies when we got home from dinner. Dinner was our usual, Favorite Sushi place #1, then active culture frozen yogurt, but no Starbucks as it was too wet out and we didn''t want to have to fight for a table or chair inside, so we just came home and cleaned the cars instead.

Otherwise, there really isn''t much to report. I slept really well last night. I''m looking forward to going to the gym tomorrow for the first time in over a week. I will take it easy the first time as I don''t want to strain myself, which could cause me to bleed and then need to take more time off. Just being back will be treat enough.

I did finally get on the scale this morning for the first time since before my biopsy and I was very pleased to see that I had not gained any weight. It shows how the metabolism continues to work at a higher pace, even during off times. Now, I''m sure if I just didn''t ever go back to the gym, my metabolic rate would slow down and I''d likely start putting on pounds. But Rod won''t let that happen. Also, while I''m thinking about it, the morning of my biopsy, they took my blood pressure of course and even though I was nervous as all get out, my blood pressure was completely normal. And the nurse seemed so surprised and even asked how I could be so calm. She said that before the procedure most men have really high blood pressure and sometimes they have to give them something to bring their pressure down. So, it''s clear that all the working out has been really good for my cardiovascular system too!

I hope you''re all enjoying a really nice Friday night.

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
mara - my nutritionist wasn''t a stickler for the GI. he encouraged me to focus on low GI foods, but since i am always training for something like a century ride, marathon, or other endurance event he said i needed higher GI foods sometimes. so i can eat potatoes, bananas, whole eggs (in moderation), dried fruits, fruit newtons, sourdough pretzels, peanut m&ms...all things that your nutritionist ruled out for you these first two weeks. so, it''s not as difficult to get the cals to add up with things like that. although etaing that much food is hard and i often pick up big chunks of calories at a single meal - which is definitely not what i should be doing. so, in short it''s been hard to follow but i do "feel" better.

what i am curious about is how restrictive she is once your two weeks is up. i was talking to my sister about it tonite (she minored in nutrition and is a fitness guru by trade) and we both sort of came to the conclusion that your nutritionist sort of put you on a "detox" plan from the high GI carbs. and from what she and i have both read, it could be very successful at helping you stop the sweets cravings and other cravings. which for you in many ways is your only weakness....you really do make good choices otherwise, IMO. and i''m with you on not wanting to work my butt off all the time and never getting to splurge. my other thought on what you wrote about so far is that you are pretty much following a diet close to the Zone diet. which is a very healthy one and one that a lot of people are able to stick to and adopt as a way of life. if i followed the plan she gave you for two weeks, i know i''d lose at least 4 lbs. which makes it tempting to try.... for me i just have a tough time maintaining fuel on a 9+mile run without eating things like Gu or gels or dried fruit/M&Ms. so it''s like how can you do both?

anyway, in all honesty i think i would find it impossible to hit 2k cals eating lean protein and low GI carbs/fruits/veggies. but if she loosens it up in a few weeks and lets you work a few things in then it should be doable.

just for a quick reference, these are the snacks on my plan he lets me eat and that are ok for non-endurance athletes (so it doesn''t include the M&Ms, dried fruit, etc that I can eat while I train): cherry tomatoes, blueberries, light n'' fit smoothies (dannon), unsweetened applesauce, kashi TLC bars, south beach bars, celery with natural peanut butter, apples with natural peanut butter, almonds/walnuts, triscuits, mozarella sticks, peaches, plums, pears, baby carrots, soy nuts, low fat cottage cheese, frozen yogurt (LF), and hardboiled eggs. so, a lot of things that are on your "no" list.

i''m going to take what you''ve got and go back to my nutritionist and see what he thinks/recommends in terms of the GI style diets when you do hard workouts. i''ll let you know what he says (i''ll probably talk to him early next week). i wouldn''t mind trying it (esp. since a similar plan is in that Ironman book I am reading) if i can maintain my energy level while training. i have the same problems you do. always fighting with 5 pounds - don''t care about the number as much as how things fit. i''m pretty much the same height as you and it sounds like we have the same build. and i do A LOT of cardio, more than anyone i know personally and i hang out with runners/bikers/etc, yet somehow the weight i lost came back and won''t go away. it''s so frustrating!

in other news - didn''t work out today. it''s 105 or something ridiculous today and i don''t feel like doing anything. so i''m going to get up early tomorrow and do a brick workout to cover both today and tomorrow. i started breaking my new kicks in today and so far i like them. so we''ll take them for a run tomorrow for sure.

enjoy your friday nite everyone!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening, WWT''r''s...everyone sounds like they''re doing AWESOME! Jas, thanks for the workout mojo...it helped! When I got home tonight even though my tootsies were swollen and killing me I slapped on my sneaks and took BOTH dogsfor a walk, then came home and cleaned like a madwoman, THEN was so inspired that I even got those two "tasks" done I ended up working my arms with free weights and did some 50 pushups! I LURVE! working my arms, they seem to be either the bane of my existence as far as underarm flab OR the things I love most about my physique...they adapt quickly for me either way.

I remembered to bring more healthy snacks and a healthy lunch to work today, so I have protein smoothies (those Adwalla ones) in the fridge there, and I had a spinach salad with half a container of those Del Monte mandarine oranges and FF dressing and two PB whole wheat crackers for lunch, then dinner was a skewer of grilled fresh tomatoes, red and green peppers, sweet vidalia onions, and white button mushrooms over a long grain wild rice I get from a friend that is really fresh and wonderful. The tomatoes came from a neighbor two doors down, and she also gave me some fresh beautiful basil which I''m trying to "hang dry" in the kitchen so I can use it in something soon. Yum, tomatoes, I love me some lycopene (the lycopene is enhanced when you cook the tomatoes, btw).

Rod, I love my XM satellite radio in my truck (well, Trailblazer...I''ve had people make fun of it before and call it a minivan but it''s not, lol!) it''s so nice when I go out of town, if I don''t know the radio station frequencies I can just easily switch it to XM and have a million stations to choose from and most of them are commercial free or I can flip super easily on the steering wheel if not. Charlie will love it, do you have satellite radio in your car as well? I''m so glad to hear your bp wasn''t an issue, and good for you for being physically fit so things are going smoothly with your health overall!

Mara, your current diet reminds me of the "detox" we did last year (I think it was that long ago) minus the rice/grains bit. Could you maybe ask your nutritionist what (s)he thinks about vegan and/or raw food diets? Hee hee, just searching for a little "free" advice, lol! I was watching that "At the Parker" or whatever it''s called show on Bravo the other night...there was a stand-up comedienne on who took her nutritionist on vacay with her, it was a great depiction--well, reality t.v. wise anyway--of how people don''t want to drop their habits while relaxing or even get more in the hole so to speak as far as weightloss/fitness. This lady became very emotional when her nutritionist (that she paid to have come with mind you) was telling her she could make better choices, etc. The lady even went so far as to sneak away for an afternoon of hotdogs, french fries, and limoncello martinis without telling the nutritionist...but it all came back to her in the end when the ntst. (I don''t know how to abbreviate that word!) had the front desk print out an itemized list of her charges! It was funny, but sad and thought provoking at the same time...don''t know if you watch that show but if you have a second to re-run that episode you''d probably find it interesting, I did. You''re doing so well, I was just thinking about how a year ago or whenever, you "just working out" and now you''ve come so far as to hire a nutritionist (or whatever) and have a lower weight, bodyfat, and slimmer physique all around...I''m so proud of you for closing in on your goals.

Well, off to catch up on the rest of PS and then off to bed...DH just called and is on the way home from drafting his fantasy football league
20.gif
I shouldn''t roll my eyes because he''s pretty good at it and typically has a big payout in Jan. or February soooo...I''ll let it go that he''s not home tonight and is going to a pre-season Bears game tomorrow night as well. I think I''m going to the Chicago gem show Sunday so we''ll have to be understanding of each other''s leisure time this weekend! Good night WWTr''s!!!
35.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
We went out for supper tonight at an Italian buffet. I ate a few small portions of a few things and had one bread stick. I probably ate a little over my usual 400 or 500 calorie for supper but I quit as soon as I was full. It was good for a change.
Then we went to the mall because a lady at work told me she saw some Snoopy thermal pj’s for $10 so I wanted to go get them. They are a very small L so they are a little small for me now but that’s okay; they’ll fit me sometime.
Mara, it seems strange to try and figure out how to eat more calories. It will take you time to adjust to your new menu. I would want to fill up on treats too but of course that is bad for this program.
Kimberly, now I’m hungry for tater tot casserole. I never think of these things until sometime mentions them. I hope you had a lovely walk with the kidlets today.
Amber, glad to hear from you. Sorry to hear you had a hectic week at work.
Linda, I can’t imagine how scary it would be to have cancer. My DH has had some skin cancers removed off his neck and those freaked me out. I think Born are pretty good shoes. I read the reviews of the ones I got on Zappos.com and they were all pretty good. Tonight I picked up some Merrell hiking shoes. They are really comfortable. I wore my new Brook’s running shoes today and did good with them. We walked the mall tonight. I worry about hurting my feet again but I think trying to wear a few different pairs of shoes will actually help my feet. Of course, that is famous last words from “Doc Marcy”. LOL! My mom likes Ryka’s.
Diamondsrock, it is interesting to see how food impacts our body and how it is utilized in our system. The human body is truly a marvel. I have food allergies and know the bizarre things food can do to you as well; the real strange thing is I crave things I am really allergic to.
Rod, it sounds like you had a nice, relaxing day. That is great your blood pressure was so good at the doctors and wonderful news that you didn’t gain any weight taking it easy. Speaking of taking it easy, be careful tomorrow. I am sure you’ll enjoy getting back to the gym.
Hi Tdiddy, you are a marathoner in both diet and nutrition. It sounds like you know a lot about what to eat and how to work out. I hope you like your new kicks.
Monarch, have fun at the gem show!
I hope everyone had a great day and you will have a wonderful weekend.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha i know monnie how times change eh?? the other day greg and i were hiking and i was leading and he said gosh who would have known a few years ago we''d be out hiking and you''d be ahead of me just moseying along....i had to laugh because he''s so right. i was SO not an outdoors person, well i still am not a huge one but i like the hikes. and hiking? walking anywhere? no way. i was all about taking the car for whatever.

tdiddy...actually a lot of the things you posted in your 2nd list there i am allowed to have. like the apples and peanut butter or blueberries or nuts/peanuts/almonds. no triscuits though hehee. really all i am supposed to be TRULY avoiding is bread, rice, white pastas, white flour items, high sugar fruits, high sugar or super high carb veggies, and obvious things like sodas, sweets, etc. she even said i could do rice in sushi or whatever if i wanted but the bottom line was to just try to stay with as many of the green light ''whole'' foods as possible on a 99% basis. oh and i have the sprouted bread which is quite yummy and carries a fair amount of carbs. and i can have whole wheat or multigrain pastas. but i just don''t eat pasta regardless. so considering i do work out a fair amount typically (5-6 days a week and burn on average about 2600 cals per week), i do need carbs as well and i think she recognizes that.

however, i am really not finding following the plan THAT hard actually (okay so it''s only day 3 hehe)...it''s more the making up 1800 cals thing that is getting me. and yeah a lot of things you are allowed to have like dried fruit or bananas or peanut m&m''s or whatever are going to get you there with high calories for sure. i talked her into letting me have luna bars which have about 9g of sugar...because i told her flat out that i need to have something like that around for when i have to have a snack but don''t feel like making something or have the time kind of thing. so i am kind of on a modified plan i guess what with my luna bars and my scoop of slow churned ice cream at night. but overall otherwise i am really not having too much of a hard time.

and yes she is basically trying to detox me off the high carb and sugar stuff i tend to crave, aka bread and sugars i think to see if i somehow feel better or don''t want it anymore. when i was giving her my history i told her all my weakness kind of foods and they are basically like breads and sugary sweets. other than those i don''t have too many ''bad habits''. she said she wanted me to do this for 2 weeks and see how i felt afterwards. honestly i feel like i don''t have uncontrollable CRAVINGS, i have great self control when i want to (key words, when i want to). i usually make conscious decisions to have sweet things. so really for me it''s more about kind of resetting my brain on how i think about things which i have been slowly working on over time as well anyway, so this is just one more step.

for example tonite we were at a bookstore and they had a book on desserts and i was like oh yummy, so i spent 5 minutes perusing the pictures and reading the recipes. did the choco cake look amazing? heck yeah! but it didn''t make me feel like i had to have some cake. also the place where we got coffee had desserts. but i just checked them out and got my coffee. it''s much easier for me to just flat out know i can''t have any...than to think ''oh should i have that?''. i don''t want to make the decision.

i am having fun on this thing so far, because it''s different and it gives me something to do (rather than maintain which was so stressful!). and yeah after the 2 weeks she said we could revisit things and modify. because honestly its not like i want to drop 20 lbs or anything, and on this kind of low GI diet i could probably drop a fair amount if i wanted to. but that''s not the goal. but hey i will do it for 2 weeks and see what happens.

oh and monnie yeah i did think this was really similar to that detox thing we did last year which i did tell her about. kinda funny for sure!! i found that way more restrictive though, mostly because of the not being able to have dairy or fish/meats, and also nuts were bad for you or something random. this is much easier for me.

so for anyone curious, here is how my day shaped up with food while following this lower GI plan:
breakfast: kashi go lean/organic morninglite/corn flake cereal blend; ff milk; sliced strawberries; coffee: 220 cals
snack: ~3/4c organic morning light cereal dry: 110 cals
lunch: TJ''s egg white salad in a toasted wheat pita; sweet 100 cherry tomatoes: 225 cals
snack: a little sliced watermelon, fresh blackberries; luna bar: 250 cals
dinner: mediterranean restaurant: split salad with chopped green & red peppers, cucumbers, feta, olives, tomatoes with vinaigrette with greg; grilled swordfish kebabs with lemon juice; grilled summer veggies: 650 cals
snacks: sugar free vanilla fat free decaf latte; 1/2 serving of slow churned mint choco chip: 175 cals
total cals: 1630

so i am closer to 1800 but not quite there hehee. dinner was actually really good, this place has the tastiest stuff. greg is being so good about me following this thing, he wanted a light dinner too so we took the train and walked around downtown in this small town and had dinner, visited a few bookstores, got a coffee, then came home.

tomorrow we have carpet cleaners coming, and i have a hair appt and a mani/pedi...so it''s a busy day. not sure if i will get to work out. i wanted to work out today but ended up being stuck at work til 6pm. so the walking we did tonite was about 1.5 miles, nothing spectacular but at least some activity. tomorrow i''d like to get a 3-4m walk in..and then sunday i want to do the 5-6m hike again. we might go somewhere fun for a drive tomorrow and catch dinner but not sure where...we''ll see. on sunday i think we are bbqing with our neighbors which will be tasty and i can get lots of protein and lean meats hehe.

oh and random but 4 friends at work have already made copies of the GI thing she gave me and are kind of following it, one of the gals has about 20 lbs to lose even though she carries it very well, and i saw her walking by today and she was getting a cookie in some other cube area and i called out to her that the cookie was not on the green light side of the chart and she made a face and put the cookie back. i was like you rock!! hahaha. so she''s really trying...my boss on the other hand was like ''eh whatever'' and ate cookies all day. hahaa. she said she will eat the calories that i cannot for me. lol!

anyhow time for bed. this week has seriously exhausted me, what with work and catching up from the travel etc. it will be nice to be around this wkd for a bit more relaxing. nite all!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All,

I thought for sure I''d sleep in until at least 7, stupid sun; I was wide awake at 6am.

It was a flashback to single life last night for both of us, dinner for me was tator tots and sliced up pineapple and J went to a local pub. Not the most well rounded meal, but enjoyable! Babysitting was a blast, this kid is just so amazing.

Not sure what''s on the agenda today. I am really worn out from the last three days.

Check in later...
Check in later...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all! I'm back.
9.gif

We were suppose to get back tomorrow but hubby has the flu!!! He felt sick when we left and I said we could cancel; I think he thought he would be better. I caught a cold too. We stayed in Vegas 2 nights and in Flagstaff 1 night. We did not go to the Grand Canyon, oh well. I feel bad for my poor hubby. I did manage to take some pics of diamonds from Graff, Harry Winston, DeBeers and Cartier. I also saw the watch Rod thought Kimi should get for her bday; that watch is bigger than I thought it would be irl. It is good to be home!!!!! 110 in Vegas, bleh
14.gif
Next time we go back it has to be winter, spring or fall. hehehe I don't know how people do it! It was crazy to see so many cars dead on the side of the road because their cars couldn't take the heat!

Dee, I saw so many yellow fancy diamonds and took some pics for you; I will post later!

Yay, LindaW for reaching your goal!!! KUDOS
36.gif
36.gif

Rod, YAY!!!!! I agree w/you on the power of prayer and good vibes! I am so happy for you!
36.gif
36.gif

Okay, I need to catch up on all the posts! I can't wait to see what you all did this week! I did do lots of walking and took the stairs instead of the escalator when there were stairs. Happy Saturday
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Evening All!

Today ended up being all about school, it wasn''t in my plans but oh well. J and I just went for a 3 mile walk, so nice! I''m making chile rellenos for dinner from a CL recipe and we''re just hanging out at home. Since today was all about school I intend to do something fun tomorrow.

WELCOME BACK SKIPPY! I missed you! Poor hubby! Share the pics, please.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Everyone!!

Isn''t it amazing what the mind is capable of doing to you? Our own minds can really mess us up. The reason I mention this is today was just a great day. And it''s the first time in nearly two months I haven''t felt I needed to use the restroom every 14.6 minutes and that''s because my mind isn''t messing with itself. A couple of months ago when the doctor said I had to have the biopsy and there was a good chance there was something wrong with me, my mind immediately started playing games and all of the sudden I had all these symptoms that according to my research on the net weren''t good. I was using the restroom too often. I think it felt funny. And the list went on. Now, two months later, I''m relaxed and all of those symptoms have just gone away. I know it was in my mind and isn''t it interesting and oddly not comforting to know that our minds can do this to ourselves. Oh well, at least it''s all over.

So, we had a great day. We had our normal scone and fresh fruit on the Terrace, then we did some errands, had lunch, coffee under our oak tree and ROD GOT TO WORK OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A WEEK AND A HALF!! Sorry for shouting, but I can''t tell you how good it felt to be back in the gym. And it was hard too. I was very surprised how soft I became in 9 days. Not that I looked diferent on the outside as I still think I looked good, but the session was hard and I was working hard on lower weights after only a 9 days. I still managed to do a full 2 hour workout and I hadn''t forgotten or lost the ability to do unassisted pullups or dips and I still did my 100 pushups and I ended the workout with a full 35 minutes on the elliptical, only I didn''t push quite as hard as I would have (didn''t want to aggravate anything ya know?!). But it felt Like I was working extra hard and I actually backed down the weights to protect myself. So, I learned that I didn''t lose muscle in 9 days, but my muscles were definitely getting used to not being worked out.

Anyway, it was so good to be back and we''ll go again tomorrow. For dinner, we went to a urban cool Mexican restaurant but they also serve South American cuisine and I had a Brazilian Seafood Paella which is made with coconut milk served over rice. Sooooooo good. Then we had our frozen yogurt treat and coffee under the oak tree. We''re having a thunderstorm right now, but I didn''t have to wipe off my car as we made it home just in time!

Glad you made it home safe and sound Skippy, but please let hubby know I''m so sorry he has the flu. How not fun to be sick on a vacation........

And yes Monni, both our Bimmer''s have satellite radio. BTW....did you know Sirius bought XM and they''re becoming one by the end of the year? I''m not sure what that means to the channel lineup and I hope it doesn''t raise rates as there will no longer be any competition for satellite radio service........

Good will power on the Italian Buffet Marcy!!!

BTW........Here are a couple pics of the twins (Charlie''s and my Bimmer''s)............

DSC_0271.JPG

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one of Charlie''s puppy all alone!

DSC_0272.JPG

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And another.......

DSC_0273.JPG

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And one of Charlie so happy next to his car!

DSC_0275.JPG

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last picture promise........Rod next to Charlie's car!! (BTW......this was taken this morning and I'm wearing one of the more revealing t-shirst we've bought lately and you can see I don't look like I haven't been in the gym for 9 days)

DSC_0276.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimi, thank you! It is good to be back! When Hubby is feeling better I will have him download diamond pics for us. hehe Poor hubby was so sick we had to leave the Bellagio buffet early. I had my deserts and took 1 bite and he told me he was feeling super ill. I just looked at my desserts and left; I was happy because I had my crab leg fix and a super yummy seabass. I love seafood; I am so jealous of you all that live by the ocean and get it fresh anytime you want it. Oh well and I guess it is good I didn't get to eat dessert! Yay for getting to sub for the same cutie pies. I bet they were excited to see you!!!!

Mara, it sounds like you are doing well on the GI diet; that made me laugh that you called your coworker on the cookie! lol Glad you guys support each other; her making a face made me laugh. Your office sounds like you have lots of sweets so that will be good if you get the whole team on board w/this and substitute w/ maybe the veggie tray bithday celebration. hehe

Monarch, Dee, and Jas; it sounds like you all are having bad storms out there. It looks like people are losing power. I hope you are safe and have power.

Marcy, whooo hooo on getting below 200! Kudos!

Hey Danielle and yay for the wedding!

Aljdewey, yay for the 50 min walk! lol about the boot camp.

Hey Tdiddy and Diamondsrock! Tdiddy 105 is HOT!!!

Monarch, yay for the job and packing healthy snacks!!!

Yay MrS. S on baby Salvo in the oven. hehehe!!!!!!
9.gif

ETA: I love the cars Rod!!!!! I love those cargo shorts on ya; very stylish! You two are an adorable pair w/matching cars. hehehe
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results