shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 1st Jan till 7th Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome kimberly and CJ!

found this link on MSN...''your perfect day of eating''...possibly some of the new joiners might find this article helpful with tips and suggestions on what to eat:

http://health.yahoo.com/better-in-2007/get-healthy-now/ghn2/108/your-perfect-day-of-eating

basically..it suggests oatmeal or cheerios for breakfast. tuna salad (!!) for lunch, and salmon with veggies for dinner. it also goes into why each food is great for your body and gives it nutrients it needs.

enjoy!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my girlfriends called me today for lunch and I had a salad with about 6 oz. of grilled salmon on top. I had the dressing on the side (just dipped the tines of my fork in a few times) and the rest was all lettuce, tomato, green beans and olives, so that couldn''t have been *too* bad for me! And I''m hording my banana from this morning for later because I know that come late afternoon I will want a little something.

Crownjewel, I have been doing the stretch that you showed me the pic of a few posts ago--thank you for that! I have modifed it a little (I''m in my office and am doing it at my desk by tucking my feet under my chair and scooting forwad on the seat), but I notice also that if I turn my foot slightly in or out the stretch gets different areas. I was doing it just "straight on" yesterday and was like, OK this is good, but last night I was reading up on stretching and decided to turn my foot this morning. WOW! I could feel the stretch in the exact problem spot by rotating just a few degrees. So anyway, if you use this stretch and don''t already turn your foot you might want to try it and see if you feel any difference.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
GASP!
only one more day of my slacker stay-at-home lifestyle! I go back to work for a teacher work day on Friday. It''s amazing how relaxed I''ve become on these days off! A girl could get used to this, lol! My sleep patterns are in for a rude awakening come Friday morning!

Crown Jewel, thanks for asking about the knee. It still really stinks. I''m pretty sure that it''s tendonitis, so I''ve been taking anti inflamitories and trying to switch up routines at the gym. I haven''t run on it for a while. I get tendonitis a lot on this knee ever since my ACL surgery in 1996. They used my patella tendon to replace my torn ACL, and my poor patella has never been the same.

I''m a bit nervous because our ski vacation is in 9 days! I''m hoping that my knee won''t be a problem. We''re going on our yearly trek to Utah to hit the slopes, talk about getting in a cardio workout, I can''t wait!! Yes, I know, get to the doctor! That''s certainly what I would tell someone else in my situation.

Stomach is a little rumbly this morning. Not sure why as I''ve been eating rather healthy for the past few days. I''m about to run out to the drug store and pick up some pepto on my way to the gym. I''m focusing on quads and hamstrings in prep for the ski adventure.
Mara, I''m loving the uphill walking on the tredmill!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Miss Mara: I just wanted to know you''ve inspired me to start recording what I eat, at least for a while just as a self-check. I ate more than normal yesterday and managed to keep it at about 1700 hundred calories, which makes me happy as that means on a normal day I am eating about what I think I am calorie-wise.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww tybee take it easy!! DEFINITELY get to the doctor. maybe walking on the treadmill is not helping really much either on the knee thing??

kimberly, i think doing a cal check once a week would be great for you just to be sure you are staying within your ranges. i know for me mentally my mind can play tricks on me and i don't always have a fair picture of what i am eating. so just taking my 5 minutes a morning to type it all in gives me a plan...and i like to plan out my foods anyway (i am soo the type when we go out to eat i looked the menu up online and already know what i want, haha)...and then i know i'm within range. and i know if i have a 100 cal buffer if i get the urge for some chocolate or whatever. i just am a more visual numbers person so it works for me. and then i can run averages for things like what i ate during the week, and also i add in workouts etc.

DJ i think your salad sounds good...the dressing is really what gets you. lettuce itself is only about 10 cals for something like 2cups, so it's very low-cal. and veggies and things are great to add in. i love adding olives, they are 5 for 25 cals and have like 2g of fat. also parm cheese, shredded is pretty good to add and you don't need a lot to get max flavor. putting things like lean chicken or salmon or tuna on salad also can beef up protein and flavor without dressings.

just took a walk over to safeway with my coworker...and got a bunch of soups and some LC's and some mini frozen 100 cal pizzas for snacks and stuff. also got chili lime seasoning to flavor my 100 cal popcorn with in case it needs a bit of an extra kick. oh and some 100 cal balance bars which i have been reading about in shape and self but had a horrible time finding, i went to 4 stores before finding them here. they are smaller than regular fitness bars but they have 5g fiber and 5g protein and are only 100 cals. so a perfect pick me upper for afternoons or before a workout.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I know Cooking Light has been mentioned on here before. I went on the website today and I have to say WOW!!! There are so many recipes! It''s a very impressive website. I need to spend some serious time on that site picking out some recipes. I like how they categorize them. Really cool.
Hope everyone is enjoying their day!
Just came back from another walk and I''m going to do some resistance-band exercises tonight. Adios!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow...I finally got on the scale and this is the biggest I have ever been. Eek! I have decided to keep myself accountable, I will be doing a "Wednesday Weigh-In" from now until the end of June. I would like to lose between 15-20 pounds, with 15 being the more plausible scenario...

Here is my Weekly Workout Thread's Wednesday Weigh-In Stats (that's a lot of W's!) Includes measurements.

Weight: 145.7
Bust: 37
Waist: 33.75
Hips: 40.5
Thigh: 22.25
Arm: 10

*sigh*
14.gif
14.gif
15.gif

(Anyone else want to join in the embarrassment with me? hee hee)

ETA for arm inches

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
traveling gal, haha I did this same thing a few weeks ago--bought a scale and a flexible tape measurer and posted the grim results. all my stats are about the same as yours except smaller waist. I had gotten really motivated to start out a more rigerous exercise routine and felt like I was all set to go and then that same day I flew to LA for a funeral (last minute decision) and then got stuck there b/c of holiday travel and got sick and am just now better. so we start again. I just called the ymca down the street from me and they sounded swamped! I''ll go check it out tomorrow and just go down to the treadmill this evening. again. so boring. treadmill and 5 lb free weights. so boring. but better than feeling lousy for sure.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
aww TG...

i will post my starting stuff from may 2006 and then my finished as of now...maybe it will be motivational?!?!

starting: may 2006 (from what i recall !!)
height: 5'7"
weight: 151
frame: medium build
hips: 40.5ish"
waist: 31.5"
low waist (right above hips aka where really low rise jeans fit): 36ish"
upper arm: 14"
don't remember thighs.
body fat: don't know but i estimate around 30ish, working out 2-3x a week, low impact
size: 10ish

as of now, jan 2007:
height: 5'7"
weight: 138
frame: medium build
hips: 37.5"
waist: 27.5"
low waist: 33"
upper arm: 12"
thighs: much smaller!
body fat: 20%..working out 5-6x a week for an hour a day
size: 5-6ish

i think i have seen the most change in my hips and waist and thighs. my arms took FOREVER to tone up and shrink down.

hopefully this is inspirational, if i can do it, as a mega foodie who LOVES sweets and yummy stuff, almost anyone can do it.
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
nejarb....glad to hear you are back on it and feeling better. If you want to weigh in on Wednesdays with me, I''m up for it. But I''m doing it for myself anyway.

Mara, that is very motivational. You and many others on this thread are totally inspiring. I went from 141 to 133ish for my wedding and that was just watching what I ate and exercising so I know I can do it. But after my wedding...it was just eat and drink fest. Having an alcohol free January should help!

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Okay,
I need to do this. I need to be held accountable too. First I need to buy a tape measure, lol!

From what I''ve read about tendonitis, if it doesn''t hurt, it''s okay, so the uphill walking is working for me for right now.

TravelinGal, I''m with you on the Wednesday weigh in, just as soon as I get that tape measure, maybe I can use yarn and a ruler? lol! not sure how accurate that will be, but I need motivation.

Speaking of lack of motivation.... I went to the gym and it was SO packed (New Years resolutionists!) that I turned around and came home!!! I''ll chalk it up to giving my knee a bit of a rest and do some stretching/ab work at home.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine who does triathalons is on Sparkpeople and when it was mentioned here I thought I''d give it a try as well. WOW! It''s a great thing to track what you''re eating. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I''m eating within the range of calories it told me was average and same with the fat intake. I do have to watch on the beverages I consume. i do drink diet whenever possible, but I''m going to start drinnking more water in place or other drinks like OJ and milk. That r\can really put you over on calories... not worth it! I''d rather snack on something I crave than drink my calories. I think I need to start eating more protein according to sparkpeople. What can you eat other than peanut butter and nuts for healthy protein?

I worked out with an old friend this afternoon and we walk/ran on the treadmill for 40 minutes, then 25 minutes on the bike. I did some reps of inner and outer thighs on the machines as well. Love those! I could do those all day and it really firms up the thigh area for me.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2007 5:03:21 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Having an alcohol free January should help!
HI:

Wine is my one weakness! I call it my "heart" medicine
2.gif
....but, really, talk about empty calories....
And all this measuring has me curious...but I too have no soft tape, just the hard metal one....

cheers--Sharon

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Happy to report that I went to the gym two days in a row! I have a trick for making yourself go... get dressed, leave the house with your ipod, water, and car keys, leaving your house keys, cell phone, and money behind! Then you HAVE to go the gym to use the phone so somebody can let you back in... Yup, I locked myself out today! Then I got my workout in while waiting for FI to come home from the office and let me in! I don''t think I''ll do that very often, but it was definitely effective today!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2007 6:02:28 PM
Author: canuk-gal
Date: 1/3/2007 5:03:21 PM

Having an alcohol free January should help!
HI:

Wine is my one weakness! I call it my 'heart' medicine
2.gif
....but, really, talk about empty calories....

And all this measuring has me curious...but I too have no soft tape, just the hard metal one....

cheers--Sharon

I'm SOOOOO with you on the wine! The happy hubby told me that he's making pasta (whole wheat of course) with meat sauce for dinner and I've already factored my wine calories into the spreadsheet, LOL.

As for the tape measure; you can use a piece of string to go around and then measure out the distance on the rigid tape measure if you're still looking for a way to do it.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 4:18:41 PM
Wow...I finally got on the scale and this is the biggest I have ever been. Eek! I have decided to keep myself accountable, I will be doing a ''Wednesday Weigh-In'' from now until the end of June. I would like to lose between 15-20 pounds, with 15 being the more plausible scenario...

Here is my Weekly Workout Thread''s Wednesday Weigh-In Stats (that''s a lot of W''s!) Includes measurements.

Weight: 145.7
Bust: 37
Waist: 33.75
Hips: 40.5
Thigh: 22.25
Arm: 10

*sigh*
14.gif
14.gif
15.gif

(Anyone else want to join in the embarrassment with me? hee hee)

ETA for arm inches
Sure -- I''ll play : ) TravelingGal: hope you are doing okay - weddings certainly can throw someone off track... just know that you have done it before and definetly do it again!!!

NOW - January 2007 2 years ago - January 2005

height: 5''8 height: 5''8
weight: 136 - BMI=20.5 weight: 158 - BMI=26
bust: 34C bust: 38DD
waist: 30.5" waist: 32.5"
lower waist: 33.0" lower waist: 36.5"
hips: 38.0" hips: 41.0"
thighs: 24.5" thighs: 26.5"
arms: 12.0" arms: 13.0"

It''s taken me a while, but honestly slow weight-loss means I''m probably more likely to keep that weight off! At this point I''m running 2x/week (4 miles) and doing 40 minutes on the elliptical 2x/week... eating as healthy as I can while still splurging on weekends when we go out, or when a certain grandma makes desert... there''s no saying no to her!

Best part about losing the weight? Being able to find bras so many more bras that fit!! Victoria''s Secret is fun again : ) Never knew all my weight was, um, in one place!!!

Aurelia

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Aurelia, my boobs shrunk too though only one cup size and yet I am able to wear padded bras now!! Before I always went for the no padding material only kind of bras and they were so not cute with underwire. However now they have all these cute options! My fave so far is the shaping demi...it''s super flattering and just a bit of push up and padding but not too much. And no uniboob!

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
Mara : ) Yes, the discovery of REAL (in other words -- SEXY) bras was a huge treat... my fiance thought it was hilarious to see me so excited to go into a store and actually find things that not only fit, but that I liked!

And the whole realm of padded, demi, no wire, etc... makes me smile REALLY really big!

this thread is great to read, and even if I''m not posting, I always check it to keep me motivated : )

Aurelia

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks TG,

This will hold me accountable.
I think I am also going to count my calories. I always used to just run the weight off of me, but this has been such a busy year, and I''m running less and less. I''m afraid I won''t be able to maintain my current weight.

Husband just walked in on me taking my measurements with yarn and a yard stick and rolled his eyes to tell me how crazy he thinks I am. Meanwhile I am going to try to get him to be accountable for his measurements as well... tee hee.

Keep in mind, I''m here to maintain, so I''m pretty happy with my current size. I''d like to do a bit of work on the waist and hip area, though.

Height: 5''4"
Weight: dunno, don''t own a scale, somewhere between 123-128 (will weigh in at gym tomorrow... I''m scared.)
Bust: 34 B
Waist: 27 (very straight and boyish)
Hips 35 (yuck!)
Arms: 10 (very proud of my arms, though.)
Thigh: 18 (where does one measure the thigh, by the way?)

I''m not sure how accurate this is, though because it was done with yarn.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I hardly slept at all last night, for whatever reason. Sometimes it just happens. I fell asleep around 3:30, then I had to be at work at 5:45, so I skipped breakfast so that I could have more time to sleep.

By lunchtime, I was starved, so I got a veggie burger with tomatoes and hot peppers and mustard on a bun, and a cup of black bean soup. I started eating and didn''t really want it, though, so I only ate about half of each.

For dinner I had a romaine salad with leftover mahi mahi and broccoli rabe. I put some blue cheese and walnuts on it for a little splurge.

I wanted to do some strength training tonight, but I''m way too tired. I think I''ll just go to bed instead.

My measurements:
Height 5''5"
Waist: 26.5"
Low waist: 32"
Hips: 38"
Arms: 10.5"
Bust: 35"

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey great...this will be good to have wednesday weigh ins! (although I think Friday weigh ins would be better to keep us motivated on weekends, hehehe). It''s like a weight watchers thing, but we we don''t have to pay. (I''ve never done it but I hear those weekly weigh ins do keep people accountable.) I''m also taking photos for my records...but I ain''t posting those yet!
9.gif

Measuring tapes are dirt cheap...you can find them at any fabric store or craft stores like Joanns or Michaels.

My boobs are always the first to go...that was why I was able to get in my wedding dress so fast. Last place on, but first place off! Right now, that''s a good thing...my shirts are tight.
39.gif

Aurelia, that is very impressive!
36.gif

Hey Tybee, your measurement stats are my goals! Hee!
2.gif

As for counting calories, I find just putting them in a spreadsheet is easier for me. I still ike fitday and sites like that, but inputing into a simple excel chart is faster.

Doing well today...I didn''t know that rollerblading could burn so many calories, and I just love doing it. Did an hour of skating and I conservatively put calories burned at 400. Breakfast was eggwhites and a bit of cheese and 2.25 ounces of ham. Snacks so far are carrot stick and 1/2 cup of cottage cheese mixed with 1/2 cup canned mandarine oranges...helps my salt and sweet craving all at once and is only 190 calories.

Dinner is homemade tortila soup and maybe some popcorn for a snack.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
TG -- when you get a chance, would you mind posting your Tortila Soup recipe?? Sounds yummy!

btw... I LOVE cottage cheese with mandarine oranges ... SO good!

Aurelia

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
TG, don''t hold me on this, but when i was told i was too fat to do my job and need to loose about 6 lbs (funny eh? but it was not an office job
9.gif
) other jockeys, professionals told me do not drink any alcohol but champagne, they said brut is not fattening.

Aurelia

Shiny_Rock
whoa, wait a sec... Pricescope, were you a jockey in a previous life??? I WANT DETAILS : )

Aurelia

ETAL just a quick look for calorie counts...
-champagne (average): 76 calories/100mL
-white wine (average): 75 calories/100m:
-Pint of Guiness: 170 calories
-30 calories/100mL
-Vodka shot: 55 calories = 25 mL

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe, don''t worry girls, it''s irina sneaking here. Yep it was looong time ago as a summer job i trained 2 yo Arabian mares, that''s why i had to be 50-52 kg, otherwise they would go with pros instead of amateurs.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
in terms of drinking, i remember reading something about how vodka mixed with a low-cal juice (grapefruit maybe?) is the best way to go. also vodka tonics are only like 150 cals. vodka is also the ''cleanest'' liquor so you have less of a hangover, hahah. i get vodka mojitos which are just like regular ones but vodka instead of rum and a little extra sugar.

i wonder if something about the bubbly champagne makes your body process it faster or something...hmm.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 7:20:01 PM
Author: Pricescope
TG, don't hold me on this, but when i was told i was too fat to do my job and need to loose about 6 lbs (funny eh? but it was not an office job
9.gif
) other jockeys, professionals told me do not drink any alcohol but champagne, they said brut is not fattening.

Ha! Leave it to you Irina to give me ideas...I'll have to try that theory when I get to drink in Feb. Maybe because champagne isn't exactly a "pounding" sort of drink? You sip, the glasses are small, it's yummy....what's not to love?

Aurelia, I saw a pic of Irina a couple of years ago when I first lurked on PS (haven't seen one since). I believe it was a pic of her on a horse. She was absolutely stunning...I still remember thinking that Leonid had a looker of wife. This was before I knew that Irina moderated PS too.

I wanted to make a Tortilla Soup because my friend made a simple easy one and it was yummy. I looked online last night and found one by Emeril that had the ingredients I liked, but I haven't tried it yet. I can report back tonight. I am going to boil the chicken in salted water. Of course I am skipping the crema and the tortilla chips. I may add tomatoes and will also use less oil. Here it is, it doesn't look hard at all...

2 tablespoons olive oil - 240 calories
1 cup chopped onions - 67 calories
2 teaspoons chopped garlic - 8 calories
1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped, or 1 pasilla or green (I used pasilla) - 25 calories
bell pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped - 5 calories
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon tomato paste - 15 calories
6 cups chicken stock or canned, low-sodium chicken broth - 90 calories
1 pound cooked chicken, shredded (I used two chicken breasts) - about 450 calories
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
6 stale corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and chopped, optional garnish
Chipotle Crema, optional garnish, recipe below
In a Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat the oil on
medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, peppers, salt,
cumin, and coriander for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and
cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring
to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the chicken and simmer
for 5 minutes. Add the cilantro and lime juice, and stir well.
Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
Heat the oil in a heavy pot or electric fryer to 350 degrees
F. Add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until golden and
crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and
drain on paper towels. Season with the Essence.
Ladle the soup into 4 or 6 serving bowls. Garnish each serving
with the fried tortilla strips, avocado and Chipotle Crema, as
desired.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou
Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and
Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Chipotle Crema:
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt
In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine all the
ingredients. Process on high speed until smooth. Serve with
the soup.
Yield: 1/2 cup

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
User Rating:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 7:32:00 PM
Author: Mara
in terms of drinking, i remember reading something about how vodka mixed with a low-cal juice (grapefruit maybe?) is the best way to go. also vodka tonics are only like 150 cals. vodka is also the ''cleanest'' liquor so you have less of a hangover, hahah. i get vodka mojitos which are just like regular ones but vodka instead of rum and a little extra sugar.

i wonder if something about the bubbly champagne makes your body process it faster or something...hmm.
My drink of choice is vodka, soda, and a lime squeezed in. I think i''s only 100 cals or so. If that is too bitter for you, try vodka soda, and just a touch of grapefruit juice. That used to be my drink of choice until I tired of people making it all wrong. How hard is it to add a splash of grapefruit juice for goodness sake???

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''ll play.

Height 5''5
Weight: 138
Bust: 34" (DD/DDD)
Waist: 31"
Bicep (upper arm): 12"
Hips: 39.5"

My cup size hasn''t changed since I was 12, not a single bit. I am so envious of you Mara and Auerelia!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Champagne is made from wine grapes (two types of pinot and chardonnay) and has similar make up as drinking wine. A 4oz. glass of champagne contains about 96 calories (just like wine).

ETA: This came out a bit snottily, so not my intent! Just sharing info in case you were interested.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results