shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 17th Sept till 23rd Sept

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to share a book that I''ve been using for the past few weeks that I think is great. It''s called the Beck Diet Solution, and actually it''s not a diet at all, it''s a book to use along with any diet that you are using. It teaches you how to do the things that you know that you should do -- not eat to being overfull, turning down food from friends and family, etc. My favorite part is that the book lists every possible sabotaging thought that you could have during your diet, and so many of them RING SO TRUE for me! My most common one is "it''s not fair that my husband can eat anything he wants" while I have a lighter meal. Others are "it won''t hurt if I have just a small piece of this" and "I always blew it today, so it won''t matter if I eat what I want the rest of the day." What I like is that it has good responses to each of those that you can tell yourself, and it really works.

She has a story of a woman named Rose who was worrying over an upcoming holiday, and was saying "well I want to eat what everyone else is going to eat" and Beck suggested that she either eat smaller portions of the foods she liked, or brought "light" version of the foods so that she could have larger portions. Rose sulked and said "but I would feel so deprived!" Beck said "OK, yes you will feel deprived maybe, what will you be deprived of if you DO eat all of the food that you want?" And on this plan, your first day you make index cards with all of the reasons why you want to lose weight... want to feel better, look better in clothes, feel more confident, etc. Beck said "if you DO eat all of that food you''ll be deprived of feeling more confident, fitting into that bathingsuit you bought for an upcoming trip, feeling better in your clothes, etc" So Rose decided she''d rather feel slightly deprived about eating smaller portions, than missing out on all of the things that she wanted for herself. Obviously if you want to eat all you can on a holiday, that''s fine, this book just helps you not overeat and keep your priorities straight at times when you DO want to stay on track.

The card with the list of reasons why you want to lose weight is great. It seems so simple, and sort of silly, but you read it every day, and pull it out when you''re struggling with "I want to eat this... but it''s not good for me, not on my plan, I''m not even hungry, etc" -- and it WORKS. Yes you KNOW all of the reasons that you want to lose weight, but there is nothing like seeing it in that moment when you''re battling a craving. Works like a charm! So I would recommend this book to any of you who struggle with cravings, overeating, the "all day cheating" mentality where you feel like you can''t get back on track, or if you ever want to give up when you gain a pound or two.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey all - pants treadmill is still pants, we are awaiting our options as sadly it looks like the warranty has expired, so we want to make bloody sure we know what the problem is before we fork out dough to fix it, looks like it will be in the region of $150, but still cheaper than a new treadmill ( or Bowflex treadclimber but I don't think that will happen...)
27.gif

Hey Aljd - missed you!

Welcome back Basil!

Gail I am going to call you TDM if that is ok with you ( it rolls off the keys and tongue well)
11.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good morning! I lost another 1.4 pounds putting me at minus 125. Yippee!!! Hmm, maybe that is a good enough “milestone” to go clothing shopping tonight. Ha Ha. At least clothes are generally cheaper than jewelry.

I am pretty tired from the cold I’m getting. I am so out of it this morning I almost left the house without earrings on – as if anyone would notice since you can’t see my ears anyway.

Jas, I hope going off the pill will help you feel better. Your new shoes sound great. Yeah for coming up with some extra money to get them.

Tandogmom, if your scale shows that much gain it can only be muscle or water retention. It will come right back off.

Lindsey, your book sounds useful and full of great tips. I think I am lucky in that I haven’t found myself feeling deprived but I know the holidays will be tempting for me. I do pretty good eating a small bite or 2 of something and then stopping there. Let’s hope that continues to be a process that works for me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have a minute but wanted to pop in and say hello!

Since we''re talking about books lately, has anyone read "Why French Women Don''t Get Fat"? I skimmed it on a plane one time and the message I came away with was "moderation is the key." No s$it. Did I miss something fundamental in the writing? Is there a larger message and I somehow glossed over it between the horrific airline meal and the trip to pee in the mini-bathroom? Maybe the "ah ha!" moment struck me as I was wrestling my luggage out of the overhead big and I''ve since forgotten it....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2007 9:42:38 AM
Author: marcyc

Good morning! I lost another 1.4 pounds putting me at minus 125. Yippee!!! Hmm, maybe that is a good enough “milestone” to go clothing shopping tonight. Ha Ha. At least clothes are generally cheaper than jewelry.

Kudos and whoooo hooo for more clothes Marcy!

Lindsay, I will have to check out that book!

I missed you Alj!

Jas, yipppppppeeee on the new shoes!

DeeJay, I heard about that book and you are right from what I heard it is eating in moderation.

Hi Gail, hang in there; I so feel for you and understand. I just remind myself I am taking care of my heart and that is the important thing. Look at all the jogging you do!!! That is awesome! Can you look at your food journal and see if anything pops out at you?

Monnie, I hope you had a lovely night cap w/hubby. I love when my hubby leaves for a couple days because then I am so happy when he comes home. I love him being home but it is fun to miss them too!!! Glad you and the boss were happy go lucky yesterday!!!

Rod, yay for a good workout and yogurt. If I ever go out that way I want to try that frozen yogurt!!! I wish we had yummy yogurt places.

Thanks Marcy, Rod and Monnie for the good wishes on my 3lbs.
9.gif

I didn't walk yesterday; I had sort of a crummy day. I couldn't find my passport in the house, I lost my cc at the grocery store and later went back and the front desk had it (thank goodness), I spilt soup all over the kitchen floor and my cousin cancelled walking for the 5th time. I just turned into a frustrated sap. Then I remember Monnie's happy go lucky words on things going well all the time; thanks Monnie!!! Then I read all your happy posts last night and you guys gave me happy dreams (don't remember the dreams but I slept well)heee heee!!! Tonight I will go walking; happy Thursday all!!!

ETA: we are getting heavy showers here in the land of sunshine, yay (Kimi, I will try and send them to SD).

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
morning all!

thanks for the book recommend lindsey!! i want to get that other book i wrote about earlier this week and this one sounds good too. really it''s funny because realistically all that you read about (aka moderation, don''t eat the entire box of donuts, one splurge doesn''t equal a whole day of bad food etc) totally makes sense and you nod when you read it or see it or whatever but then when it comes time to actually act or rather NOT act on an impulse, you make all these rationalizing excuses in your head why you ''deserve'' whatever. and it''s great as well about the whole well if you have this what else gets sacrificed and is it really worth it? it blows my mind sometimes just how my mood can change in a split second from ''i''m doing what is so good for my body'' to ''omg someone has cupcakes, must have one!''. i think a lot of it is mind-retraining, as i was kind of saying with the comments about my father, he''s just trained himself to work out basically daily...there''s no excuse around it or i don''t feel like it or i am tired today. he basically still does SOMETHING regardless of how he feels. i''d love to be like that for the rest of my life and not have to think about it. just like i''d love to get to the point to where i make the right food choices 99% of the time and not have to think about it or feel like i''m sacrificing anything. and i do feel like i can get there, over time. but i also am trying to be realistic about my expectations so that i set myself up for success LONG TERM rather than a short term mental fix. most of this is because also i am at the point where maintenance is my goal and how to build muscle and continue to burn more fat over the long-term and really make this a permanent lifestyle change. it''s been almost a year and a half since i really started paying attention to this...so i''m very happy with how far i have come from just spring of 2006 to now.

DJ i have not read that book but i totally think that you got the jist of it, hehehe. people who i know who have read it have said typically oh yeah it''s moderation!! well DUH. but again like i said up above my mind frame can go so quickly from ''doing what''s right'' to ''omg donut''...hahaa. so i personally like the idea of tools to kind of help yourself not sabotage the progress you are making in real-time (aka flashcard) rather than just expecting yourself to remember why you are being healthy hehee.

lorelei sorry about the pants treadmill, what a drag!! hope you get it fixed soon. yay for additional weight loss marcy. gail, sorry to hear that you faux-gained a few lbs...i don''t necessarily think that it''s real weight so quickly, could be bloating from water or too much sodium or something, but also for me sometimes my weight might jump and then it stays there, like my body has ''delayed reaction'' or something. i know that isn''t really ''typical'' but sometimes it happens to me...like nothing for a while then it might jump 3 lbs and it sticks. argh. so not sure if you have been splurgy at all lately but be careful to make sure those 3 lbs don''t hang around!!! sneaky lbs. i will keep fingers crossed that the 3 lbs just fall off tomorrow!! rod, i still have yet to try the fresh frozen yogurt you guys talk about, i know there are a few places that have it here but nothing super close to us unfortunately...and i''m not willing to drive anywhere on a weeknight to get it, when i have yummy slow churned in the freezer hehe. but someday soon i will try it!

alj...so happy and proud of you and hubby...!! greg marvels too at how much my mindset has changed, when we hike he is like ''who is this person'' and points out how before i was like ''nature? what? let''s drive down to the mailbox'' hehehe.

last nite i went to dinner with my immediate gals in my team and it was very fun as we are all so busy most of the time we don''t get to really spend off-work time together...and we are all basically in the same age group and stages of life kind of thing and our boss is really cool as well...so it''s fun. i had a bit of the roasted artichoke, a tiny bit of the yummy jalapeno cornbread, my tuna burger with only about 1/2 of the bun, and peanut coleslaw which is sooo tasty. then we all shared some of the oreo cookie dessert that i LOVE LOVE LOVE...so i had one oreo cookie to myself which was just enough, typically i eat a whole dessert by myself but it was so much better to share one hehee. i felt really no guilt afterwards which was awesome! and i ate lightly all day before to prepare. then greg and i went for a 2m walk with portia when i got home. so not bad for a ''day off'' workout heee.

anyhow hope everyone is enjoying a happy thursday...weekend is just around the corner!! today eating is pretty basic. i have a trainer appt tonite, hopefully i don''t get too sore tomorrow hehee. have a great day all!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2007 9:58:10 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
I only have a minute but wanted to pop in and say hello!

Since we''re talking about books lately, has anyone read ''Why French Women Don''t Get Fat''? I skimmed it on a plane one time and the message I came away with was ''moderation is the key.'' No s$it. Did I miss something fundamental in the writing? Is there a larger message and I somehow glossed over it between the horrific airline meal and the trip to pee in the mini-bathroom? Maybe the ''ah ha!'' moment struck me as I was wrestling my luggage out of the overhead big and I''ve since forgotten it....

I read it, and yep- you got the jist of the main message! It was a quick & delightful read, but certainly not earth-shattering.

I plan to put it into practice when I''m in France. We leave this weekend!
36.gif

Not much else to report. I''ve been plugging away at good eating and activity. I plan to weigh myself at the gym tomorrow so that I can compare when I get back from our trip.

I''m off to catch up on all the posts!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi All! I went to Weight Watchers today and was given this little positive note today. I thought I would share; it is a good message and I added a couple little things
9.gif

Weight-Loss Success will be yours when you:
PREPARE yourself to be thinner,
LISTEN to positive messages, SMILE
9.gif

through the challenges, CARE enough
about yourself and success to do
whatever it takes to make it happen (counting calories weigh food),
CHOOSE to embrace the changes that
are occuring, keep your FOCUS on
your Winning Outcomes (lose pants etc), BELIEVE in
yourself, RELAX and not expect yourself
to be perfect, ACT on changes that will
further your progress, FORGIVE
yourself if necessary, ASK for strength (here on the WWT) to
follow through with your goals, TRUST
the yourself, realize that CHANGE is
exciting, PERSIST in the face of
obstacles, ACCEPT the success doesn't
happen overnight, RISK becoming
thinner, and WAIT, even when that is the
hardest thing to do.
emhot.gif

blondie23

Shiny_Rock
Skippy! I volunteer for weight watchers on the weekends as a group leader and that is one of my favorite mottos. BUT, the single phrase that got me to the weight I want to be was, "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS."...anytime I wanted to splurge, etc I just repeated that phrase and now 3 years later I am 35 pounds skinnier and keeping it off! Keep up the great work!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I''m rejoining WWT because I finally made it back to the gym and I''ve gained 7 pounds!!!! It''s funny because before i weighed myself, I was thinking, gosh my thighs feel so giggly! haha. It''s not ultra noticeable, I gain in my butt and thighs and not around my midsection (which makes it easy to not notice weight gain until your pants feel tight), but I''m about 5''7" with a smallish to medium build (small on top, medium at hips, thighs) and my more comfortable weight is in the low 120''s and my current weight is about 132. Not fun to hit the gym and see that on the scale, but it''s more motivating than when I was trying to only lose 5 pounds. I''ve been back on the wagon watching what I''m eating and working out for the last 2 days so hopefully I can take it off quickly and tone up as well while I''m at it.

The main culprits I think were general laziness, my previous job (driving around all day makes fast food so tempting!), but now that I was laid off I wasn''t very active the past couple weeks and I''ve been going out drinking with friends much more often than I used to (no job to wake up for) and that accounts for hundreds of empty carbs. I''m limiting myself to one or two drinks per outing since we all go out so often, that way I can still have about a drink every night or every couple nights without killing my diet. I never gained that freshman 15, but now with my fiance and so many of my MI friends in graduate school, I''m realizing I can''t hang like I used to, otherwise I end up having to squeeze into pants that used to fit perfectly.

I also realized I eat such a sodium-rich diet, it''s sickening. I''m the type who would eat salt out of the shaker if people wouldn''t look at me like I was super wierd. Which is likely why I''m bloated so often, but I figure I''m cutting down on drinking and trying to eat healthier foods, so I''m not going to also worry about sodium just yet. baby steps -- although the not drinking so much is easy since I can just not buy wine at the liquor store, but if I mentally put too many restrictions on my diet I''ll likely blow it.

Yesterday I worked out on the ellpitical for about 40 minutes and then walked on the treadmill for 20 and today I just did elliptical a bit slower for 40 mins because my out of shape leg muscles were a bit tired so I didn''t want to strain them. I''m also going to get back into my windsor pilates routines because they really tone up the tummy fast.

I''m glad to see that everyone else is doing well though!!!!

Now that I''m interviewing and don''t have a job to go to every day, I have no excuse for not working out every week day. Hopefully posting here will keep me accountable!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/20/2007 11:23:38 AM
Author: Mara
morning all!

alj...so happy and proud of you and hubby...!! greg marvels too at how much my mindset has changed, when we hike he is like 'who is this person' and points out how before i was like 'nature? what? let's drive down to the mailbox' hehehe.
Haha, that's how I am now. I hate nature! What's funny is before I got my dog I was way worse. When I first started walking her last year I was so disturbed and grossed out by bugs (especially if they ended up stuck in my lip gloss -- you know those little flies that do that? Yeah, gross!). We take her on 3-4 1 mile walks a day, so I had to get used to being outside quickly. I'm getting better but I told FI that I'll never go camping though. Not because I think it's bad but I'd just be miserable and no fun to be around.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Sweatpea, welcome back!
OK, I am having trouble getting used to my OWN new name! I hope nobody thinks it is weird; I have some reasons but dont'' want to get into all of them! I chose TanDogMom b/c I have two tan dogs!

Had a delicious sushi dinnerr w/ a friend tonight, but why the heck do I already feel hungry? We ate plenty, just the right amount, and I should be feeling satiated dang it! Meeting her took away my usual gym time but will take the dogs for a couple mile walk tonight. Had a tough workout yesterday and plan a tough one tomorrow, so it is good to have a lighter day.

Thanks all for the encouragement on the crazy scale. I am not worrying about it; I am still in the range where I''ve been lately so it''s not crazy, and probably will come right back off. Still, annoying!

Speaking of sodium it is amazing how much is hidden in things! I have been tracking my calories online and almost always it tells me I am over on sodium. And sometimes I forget to add things like soy sauce (b/c very low in calories) to my list, and that is just loaded w/ sodium. Just my usual day to day stuff usually puts me over their suggested intake of 2400 mg.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Well, add me into the category of sodium over-consumers. Funny thing is, that when I was a kid I never put salt on anything, cause my mom never salted my food. Not eggs, chicken, meat, or veggies, and I never missed it. Now, I don''t think I could stand to eat them without at least a little salt. Fiance has a thing against salt (thinks it isn''t very good for you) so when I''m eating with him I cut down.

Well, I worked out today! Yeay! For the first time in a while. I just discovered that I get access to one of the college gyms, which is two blocks from where I park my car at work. It''s kinda weird working out with all the college students, but it''s worth it to get to use the elliptical for free.

Eating was OK. Breakfast was fiber toast with light cream cheese and smoked salmon. Cream of mushroom soup for lunch with saltines. And a grilled chicken breast with mustard, arugula salad with TJ champagne pear vinaigrette, and frozen corn for dinner. I''m having a glass of red wine and a small square of dark chocolate for dessert. I''m resisting counting up the calories.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Blondie23, that is great you are a leader of WW. We have an awesome leader; she is such a sweetie and give everyone hugs! She has the biggest heart so I enjoy going to her class.

Sweetpea, you will lose the 7 lbs in no time!!! Welcome back!

TDMom, yum to sushi! ETA: I am w/Rod, it is hard for me to remember to call you TDM. I notice I messed up earlier today so I will try harder.

Basil, great job on working out.

Mara, Rod, Kimi, Dee, Marcy, Monnie, SB, Jas and Lorelei hope you all had a wonderful day!!!

I was going to go walking but it poured rain all day. I should have gone to the gym; there is just something about getting fresh air while exercise that makes it easy to get out and walk. It isn't suppose to rain tomorrow so I will workout then.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, this will be kind of short. It wasn't the most pleasant day. In our office, there's my team, then there are a couple people who report to a different division and different boss. Their boss flew in today and laid two of them off. They weren't working very hard IMHO, but it happened this morning and it set a negative tone for the office the rest of the day. Plus one of the people let go I actually hired nearly 12 years ago, so that was sad to see. I had one-on-one's with my team, who were pretty shaken, which for young 'uns right out of school is pretty understandable. I'm not sure why they handled the layoffs the way they did, but it just kind of made the day sad.

So, instead of hitting the gym, Charlie suggested we just go to our favorite diner, have a glass of wine for Charlie and a beer for me. It was a nice break from working out and we've worked out really hard the last couple nights, so I'm sure it won't hurt us to take an extra night off. Tomorrow's Friday - Thank goodness and we'll have our usual Sushi, Frozen Yogurt and Coffee night.

I'll try to remember some of the highlights from today's posts, but if I forget anyone, it's not on purpose, honest.

Marcy, yay on losing more weight. You are everyone's hero for your weight loss dedication.

Monnie, glad to hear your boss didn't become a meanie overnight and was his usual self today.

Alj, how wonderful that you and hubby are both riding bikes together. How nice to hear how hubby's fitness level is so much better. I don't how I would have continued my quest for better fitness without Charlie on my side. So, I think it's great you two are doing this together too!

DeeJay, I saw a special on why the French in general are not overweight, and don't have much heart disease, yet they almost all smoke like chimneys and they eat high caloric foods. And what the special pointed out was:
1. They don't have the stress levels we have
2. They take much more vacation time
3. They have like 10 more holiday's per year than we have - on top of their vacations
4. They eat smaller portions
5. They are generally more active

I thought it was interesting, but there wasn't a "really" moment for me either.

Gail (and I'm afraid you'll just have to be gail to me, as tandogmom just doesn't work quite yet), sorry about the extra 1.5 pounds and no it's not likely permanent, it's likely water retention. I'm sure it will just go away. One thing I wonder is for people who live in northern climes (I know Raleigh area's pretty temperate), but I wonder if the body tends to naturally try to gain weight when it knows colder weather is heading our way. Anyway, I just wonder about such odd things??

Lorelei, sorry about the treadmill. I'm sure you'll get it resolved real soon.

Skippy, thanks for the weight watchers post.

Good going Sweatpea. Do take advantage of your extra time since you're not working, to get in your workout. I certainly did that when I was unemployed and really enjoyed that aspect of unemployment!

I hope you guys had a bit of a better day than I did.

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
hi everyone!

sorry i have been lax about posting this week but my job has been CRAZY this week! i went from 7 clients to 14. uggghHH!

fortunately, in my "spare" time i have kept my workouts/marathon training on track. in addition i started swimming again on tuesday - even managed to try out the fun water slide that the new gym has. ok, ok - so going down a water slide isn''t exactly a workout, but i did swim a 500 as well
3.gif
i also have really made a concerted effort to watch what i eat this week and i am ignoring my scale for the week since it just makes me mad every time i stand on it. i''m putting in about 25 miles a week running and another 4 hours of cardio/lifting on top of that, so i am optimistic that the scale will give in eventually....i really think the bottom line if i want to make a HUGE change is to really buckle down with my diet on top of my workouts. and for me that''s the hard part - b/c for me the reward for working out was eating yummy food.

mara - i''m totally going to pick up that book this weekend. sounds intriguing.
marcy - you keep on rocking, girl...with every weigh in!
rod - 28 years??? wow! that is just amazing!

welcome to the new folks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone.
35.gif
I am so excited there is only one more day of work for me this week. After work today I went to Outback with a friend from work and had a small steak, baked potato, salad and one small piece of bread. I brought home ½ my steak for a sandwich tomorrow.
DeeJay, it seems like so many of those books don’t have information that we don’t already know. Use moderation in eating, huh? I’ll have to try that. Ha Ha.
Skippy, thanks for the kudos. I did go walk around a store tonight but it was Bed, Bath and Beyond – no clothes. Rats. Maybe that is why I didn’t buy anything. I am so sorry to hear you had a crummy day; I am glad our posts cheered you up and you slept well. Thanks for you passing on the inspirational message from WW.
Mara, you are so right about this is so much about training your mind to make the wise choices – most of the time. That is too funny about driving to the mail box; I used to do that too. Now I choice to walk down there (it’s only about ½ a block anyway). That is so neat to hear that Greg notices how much you’ve changed your “ways”.
ChargerGirl, I bet you are getting excited being so close to your trip. Have a great time!
Blondie, I love that phrase. Congratulations on 35 pounds skinnier and STAYING there.
Hi Sweetpea; I like the term “giggly”. That certainly describes me. Good for you starting to work out and limit you drinks. I wish you luck on your job search.
Tandogmom, I hate when I get hungry. I keep raw veggies handy or eat 10 goldfish crackers. I sure notice salty food now that I try to eliminate it as much as I can.
Basil, that is wonderful you can work out at the college gym. I can use the gym at the school where I teach but between a full time job and teaching 3 classes I don’t know when I’d have the time.
Rod, sorry to hear about the bad day at work. I am sure everyone is freaked out about their jobs now. Thanks for saying I am everyone’s hero; I am glad to be able to help inspire anyone to work at improving their life.
Tdiddy – speaking of amazing – how much running you do amazes me. Thanks for the kind words about my weigh ins. I’m still in OMG mode about 125 pounds. I certainly identify with you about “spare” time. What’s that, huh?
Take care my friends. Have a great evening, sleep contently with a big smile on your face and have a great Friday.
36.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm off to bed in a minute because we have to get up EARLY for our flight tomorrow. As of this morning I was only 4 lbs off my low (so down 20 total), so I was OK with that, and I'll be curious to see where I am after the vaca. I've already packed my workout stuff and in addition to the gym I'll be spending time in the pool--even treading water burns cals, right?! And when I come back, only two more weeks of my financial job and then I'm off to my new life. I've also been thinking about the consutling thing and my inclination (of the moment!) is not to do it. If I'm going to make a real go of the real estate thing I should throw myself into it full force and not have to worry about any other distractions. (But we'll see what my mindset is once a few days of nothing to do come along... )

Rod, that was interesting about the French. All the more reason to take extra vacations--while drinking good wine and eating dark chocolate LOL (but no cigarettes for me!).

Sorry so short--I promise to talk to everyone when I get back. Keep up the good work all!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, have fun on your trip too.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Su[er super quick check-in to say that I had a great day calorie-wise, arm workout, short walk sans dogs (1 mile), and visited with a girl friend tonight and had a glass of fabulous Moscato with conversation, then came home to see the DH. Still visiting with him and getting ready for bed, but wanted to check in hastily and read through today''s posts so as not to fall far behind...see you all tomorrow!
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok the treadmill should be running next week as we await the new part and fitting!!! hope nothing else goes bloody wrong with it!

I have had a week where I have been so tired so haven''t worked out much, but hope to get up to speed next week. I miss the treadmill as I find it energises me more than anything else.

Welcome back Sweepea and Basil
35.gif

Great job everyone and yay for you Aldj on the bikes!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay lorelei for a future not quite so pantsy with the treadmill!!! DJ have a great trip! rod sorry to hear about the layoffs, that definitely can be a downer on the company and those left behind. yum for sushi tonite, we are having it too with our neighbors...mine sans rice.
3.gif
miss skippy hope you are able to work out today! yay for a workout basil! welcome back miss sweet pea and good for you for going to the gym, the 7 lbs will come off in no time surely.

tdiddy...i seriously cannot imagine how you can be running like 25 miles a week and get in 4 hours of lifting and not be losing any weight. it really does make me wonder about your diet...i can''t recall but have you seen a doctor or nutritionist to try to get some assistance? the unfortunate thing for me is it really is like 80-90% diet and 10% my workouts. sure i can burn like 4k calories a week but if i am eating a ton of cals back in then it just doesn''t seem to work for my body. i really have to be doing the healthy lifestyle choices food wise for most of the time and then splurge here and there. i guess the way you are doing it is great for ''maintenance'' because you are maintaining, but maybe you need to chop the cals down a bit like 400 a day or something to get that deficit going and then lose your weight, and then you can slowly add them back in over time for maintenance at your new goal weight.

so i had my trainer last nite and i had another new girl (the director works with me on mondays and then is cycling me through her other trainers the next time so that i can work with diff people and see who i like and vice versa) to work with...i really liked this trainer so far over the one i had last week (who was a really sweet south american guy and very earnest but i just didn''t feel the click with him, he was too serious and i tend to make jokes and laugh at myself when i screw up). this gal was a few years younger than me, a dancer and trainer, and in very good shape. i also liked her personality and how she did a lot of the exercises with me and corrected my form all the time, i tend to get more sloppy as i get tired and distracted so i need someone to remind me of that.

so we did basically i guess something like interval fat burn training. it was like a few minutes of cardio on the step rope thing...then lunges with weights...then reverse curlups for abs. then we''d do it again but diff things on the step rose, diff type of lunges (we did walking, stationary, reverse) and then abs again. then we started doing the step ladder with squats (diff types again) and then abs. then at the end she had me do i think what she called a fat burning circuit which is where she chose 4 things for me to do and you do them as fast as you can with super light weights. so i did one of the pushup weight machines with super light weights for 45 second straight as fast as i could while keeping form. like mini movements. then we did abs on this table for 45 seconds. then i did the dumbell weight bar with 10 lbs on it for 45 seconds (this one is so hard, that bar weighs a lot!). then we did planks for abs for 45 seconds. did the whole circuit twice and man that was harder for me than the whole 45 minutes before that!! but i felt good for sure. so, very happy with the training and all that so far. i see the director gal again on monday.

i''m sore today but not too sore...thankfully. i did a bunch of stretching last nite. my hips and glutes are pretty sore from the lunges and squats, yikes. and my abs for sure...lots of ab work but thats what i want. oh and when i came home last nite i did 200 jumping jacks. hehee. a little extra cardio for some cals. i had a 1/2 a fage with some protein powder, a splenda and some better n''peanut butter mixed up as a snack before dinner and then about 2 hours later we had dinner. we had 2 homemade hot dogs left from the meat place from last wkd so i grilled those up and then we had green beans with garlic and parsley, and the rest of the cuban black beans from last friday (talk about leftovers?! i nuked them silly!). it was tasty and quick for a dinner with diff food groups at least haha. then for dessert i had slow churned. about 30 min before bed i felt hungry and i knew i hadn''t eaten enough cals for the day at that point (around 1450) so i had a 1/2 a glass of ff milk with some choco pb protein powder just mixed in. it was kind of like a thin chocolate milk.

and now today is friday woo hoo!!! we''re getting sushi tonite with our neighbors and i will probably do a 2mile walk at some point...nothing strenuous. oh and gail, i probably will still call you gail too as i seriously am horrible with remembering name changes and all that once i get used to someone. i may be able to eventually morph over to TDM. hehe.
3.gif
have a great day all!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had so much rain yesterday that hubby and I went for a quick walk in the rain; we were soaked but it was fun to see the arroyo look like a river!!! Then the sun
emhot.gif
came out to day. I am loving how fresh the air smells and how crystal clear the sky looks. One of the prettiest days for sure. I also had fun w/some friends today and took bling shots in the "Jewelry Forum" if you want to check it out! Today I am looking forward to a nice long walk!
9.gif

Lorelei, I am excited for you to get the treddy fixed soon! Dang for the pants weather. I got a letter from my aunt who lives in Tenterden Kent and she was telling us that she didn't feel you guys had a summer since there was so much rain!!!

Mara, I am glad you got a good workout. I hope you get that lady again that watched your form. I love to joke around w/people so it sounds like your lady trainer is a better match.

DeeJay, have a lovely trip; I bet you will lose weight because you will be watching out for your sweet dad so it will probably hard to overdo it. Enjoy your visit!!!

Alj, any more bike riding? I love that your bike has a big ole comfy seat; I need to get me one of those. My booty always hurts on those narrow seats.

Charger have a safe and wonderful trip.

Tdiddy, you are another superwoman w/all that running and lifting weights!!! Awesome!!

Rod sweetie, I knew I liked your from the first time meeting you here on PS. I can tell you have such a huge heart; some people think business is business and don't feel bad about firings. I love how much you care and want your people to feel at easy; what a great boss you are! You deserve a night off! Yay for sushi and beer tonight and a good workout!!!

Marcy, kudos on eating half your meal! I am glad you had a great time w/your friend!

Monnie, glad you worked out w/the pups and had a lovely evening w/hubby!!!

Kimi, hope you are having a blast in NYC w/Jimmy Buffet! We miss you tons!!!

TGIF
35.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
hey y''all!

another super-quick post from me. i''ve been going at 100mph here at work and at home- things are nuts. long hours here at the office this week, then i get home and SLEEP.

i''m seriously counting the minutes until our flight departs LAX early Sunday morning! we''ll first spend a couple of days down in Dijon exploring the Burgundy wine area (& cuisine), and then head up to Paris late next week, just in time to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary on September 30th in ''The City of Light'' (La Ville-lumière). Très Bien!

here''s an interesting article about the French and obesity. looks like super-sizing is quickly becoming a worldwide phenomenon.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-fat20sep20,1,2791886.story?ctrack=3&cset=true
very sad.

i hope to check in again before we leave. but if not, "see" you in two weeks.

À bientôt, mon amis!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2007 10:37:08 AM
Author: Mara

tdiddy...i seriously cannot imagine how you can be running like 25 miles a week and get in 4 hours of lifting and not be losing any weight. it really does make me wonder about your diet...i can''t recall but have you seen a doctor or nutritionist to try to get some assistance? the unfortunate thing for me is it really is like 80-90% diet and 10% my workouts. sure i can burn like 4k calories a week but if i am eating a ton of cals back in then it just doesn''t seem to work for my body. i really have to be doing the healthy lifestyle choices food wise for most of the time and then splurge here and there. i guess the way you are doing it is great for ''maintenance'' because you are maintaining, but maybe you need to chop the cals down a bit like 400 a day or something to get that deficit going and then lose your weight, and then you can slowly add them back in over time for maintenance at your new goal weight.
Mara - I have been seeing a nutritionist over the summer. He wants me to eat almost 2100 cals a day - which is impossible....I just cannot consume that much food. I usually come in btw 1600-1800 lately. And he swears my diet is fine - it''s not perfect like only lean chicken and veggies but my splurges are under control and very sporadic. My sister, who I spend at least a few hours each day with b/c she literally lives like 5 doors down, has a minor in nutrition and says she doesn''t think I eat bad either - and she would tell me. I run marathons every year - usually 2 a year. Any other time I run them I lose 5-10 pounds and then it usually creeps back up after I slow down training for the winter. But I was always able to maintain it without a lot of effort b/c although I wasn''t running, I lifted and did at least 55 minutes of cardio 6 days a week thru the winter. I went to a doctor in June and had some lab work done b/c they reviewed my food journal and exercise and they didn''t find anything. I did start the Pill in May and quit that a few weeks ago in case that has something to do with it. I''m tempted to switch to another doctor b/c I really think something is going on with my metabolism.

For example, I did a 150 mile tour in July. It took hours over two days to complete. My partner and I averaged 17 mph on the ride and it was like 90+ degrees out. At the end of the event we calculated our caloric expenditure to be at least 5000 cals - probably more in the neighborhood of 7000 depending on the calculator you use. At minimum you should shed water weight when you do something like that and considering I didn''t eat much that week as a result of the heat, I should have at least lost a pound. But nope, not a single one. My partner lost 4 that week. I always lost weight after I did marathons - and this took a lot longer than a marathon.

It''s just baffling. Anyway, I think I am going to be RELIGIOUS about what I eat for two weeks cutting 300-400 cals a day and work out like I am currently. I will track my weight and take it all to the doctor if I can''t lose when I do that. My sister recommended that approach so we''ll see what happens. Maybe it''s b/c i am about to turn the big 30
1.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hey all,

Just a quick check in while J gets ready for dinner. We''re having a WONDERFUL time. J. Buffett was amazing (best show I''ve seen, and I''ve seen quite a few). Done lots of walking/sight seeing, just relaxing and enjoying. Went on a boat tour around Manhattan today, so fun. Also picked up a couple adorable dresses at the Macy''s sale. We''ve been indulging, more on that when I get home.

Have a great weekend, friends!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad to hear you are having a fab time kimi...enjoy yourselves.

tdiddy...yeah that is really baffling. i mean i know obviously that everyone''s body is different but it''s just amazing that you haven''t been able to lose anything. i can''t even imagine though that your metabolism is THAT low...i mean as hard as you work out...i can''t believe that it''s not driving the metabolism upwards. have you had body fat tested vs lean muscle? that would also give you some idea of how your body should be performing. maybe you need to talk to a sports nutritionist or someone who specializes in working with athletes? because it does seem from what i have heard that their ''needs'' in terms of nutrients are different. have you tried interval training at all vs just the long endurance steady state kind of stuff? just thinking out loud here. i do think it''s a good idea to religiously track and watch cals for a week or two and try to stay around 1500ish or something and ONLY eat the right stuff (no splurges if you can do it) and really see if that makes any difference. i was trying to drop a few lbs kind of unsuccessfully in the last 2 months and when i met with my nutritionist for the first time she put me on the low GI (low sugar, lower carb) diet and i dropped 3 lbs in 2 weeks...after having really no movement on the scale for almost 2 months other than creeping upwards. before i wasn''t really paying any attn to sugars and carbs, preferring only to focus on cals in and cals out but it seems now that i am more at my goal i need to be a bit more interested in quality of what i am eating. and sure i love my splurges too. the nutritionist now suggests i try to do 6 days of lower GI (being as good as i can basically) and then 1 day of eating what i want (but i''ll probably still stick with lowerGI for 1-2 meals and just have one splurge meal) so we''ll see how that works.

hope you got your walk in skippy! charger, awesome to look fwd to a nice vacation..i''m so jealous in a good way of course.

hope everyone is enjoying their friday afternoon/evening. just a few more hours at work and then it''s playtime! my eating today has been as typical. i started tracking on fitday.com again yesterday, because i wanted to see the pie chart breakdown on what i was consuming. interestingly enough while my protein consumption yesterday was quite good, i am still eating a lot of carbs. which is not a BAD thing as they are pretty much all complex, but i''m just surprised i am watching them as much as i am and still eating about so many of them. yesterday was 50% carbs, 25% fat and 25% protein and i had about 100 grams of protein!! the carbs were really my kashi go lean, my oatmeal, luna bar, fuji apple (who knew one medium apple had 21 carbs?!), and dreyers slow churned. also i had a hot dog (25g fat it said online) and a bun that was calculated in fitday but i only ate 1/2 the bun but carbs for the whole bun were like 25g so i ate like 10. so really it''s a little off but close enough. but man! 25 carbs here and there really add up. definitely glad i am not eating the rice on sushi tonite. right now for today my stats are at 49% carbs, 38% protein and like 13% fat. with sushi tonite and no rice it will be higher on protein than carbs thankfully but still 49% carbs?!

so anyway kind of interesting...i would have thought it was way less on carbs than it is. not like that is a bad thing, but it just made me think about those who don''t scrutinize carbs or similar, i wondered how many i was consuming ORIGINALLY before trying to make less carb choices and more protein.

anyway...have a great evening all!! enjoy.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Working tonight, so no workout for me today.

This is an example of why I''ve been gaining weight. Woke up too late to eat breakfast and get to work by 6:30 for conference. So I grabbed a bagel at the conference. Lunch my co-workers wanted to go out for wings. I got boneless grilled chicken tenders, but they still had greasy sauce on them. Dinner was a slice of pizza from the cafeteria...I always miss the real "dinner" time so all that is left is old tuna sandwiches, pizza, the "grill" which is hamburgers, fries, and fried chicken sandwiches, and the cookies and chips. Not many healthy choices there.

Plus, there''s some fabulous little italian pastries leftover from something today in our office that I predict are going to be hard to resist when I''m up and here by myself at 2 am. Oh well.
20.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad your treadmill will be working again soon Lorelei!

Glad you enjoyed the new trainer Mara. That''s a great idea having a different trainer until you settle on the one you like the best. We watched the trainers for several months before we picked one we liked.

So glad you''re having such a nice time in NY Kimberly. We were just watching one of Giada''s Weekend Escape shows on the Food Network and it was South Beach. Now Charlie thinks he''d like to go there for a weekend, which is fine with me. South Beach is a fun place with loads and loads of fantastic restaurants. Anyway, glad you''re having a great time, especially the cruise around Manhattan.

Still so jealous of you and tript to France Charger. I''m sure you''re super psyched for sure!!

Basil, sounds like it''s tough eating from the choices you had. Hopefully, that won''t last long.

Today was a calmer day for sure. I spent more time with the interns making them feel OK and I had to note that productivity came to a halt after what happened yesterday, but I didn''t put any extra pressure on them. I''ll probably get a little heat for the low numbers next week, but so be it.

We had a nice evening tonight. Nothing unusual, a nice Sushi dinner at Fav Sushi Spot #1, our Frozen Yogurt, but no coffee. Anan Retentive Car Momma Rod saw that it was about to rain after we had our yogurt and I wanted to keep my clean and not have to wipe it down, so we just came home and spent the evening relaxing with the kitties. We had enough coffee today anyway.

Tommorrow we get to pick up our rings. I really have missed mine, so I''m looking forward to my sparkly friend. Then we''ll hit the gym and have a nice dinner somewhere, but not sure where.

I hope you''re all having a nice start to your weekend!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a wonderful 5 mile walk this evening! It was great and it is cooling off so it made it easier to keep going!!!

Sweet dreams friends
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results