shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 15th Oct till 21st Oct

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy new week all
35.gif

Lat week we were discussing how the mind is a very powerful tool to enable us to have a healthier lifestyle, also how mindset changes can take time. Case in point was my day yesterday. I was having the hardest time craving sweet things ( not TTOTM) but just a general terrible hankering for sweet stuff. I fought it all day, had healthy meals, didn't let myself get too hungry, had fruit and a workout, a little chocolate and evening came and I was still craving like crazy. I was really feeling a failure until I realised what had happened. I had drifted back into my old way of thinking which had made the whole thing worse. I had allowed negative thoughts to overwhelm me - if I had just accepted the fact that today was one of those days we all have - and not a slippery slope for the scales to shoot up - then I would have been fine and got over it. Instead I was making a mountain out of a molehill, expecting perfection and my body and mind to be a consistent, well behaved machine!

Today I feel much better. I think sometimes you have to go with the flow, allow yourself some of the things you are craving, then carry on with your healthy routines as normal. As we all know, it isn't that which makes you gain weight, but consistently eating too much of the wrong foods every day which cause weight to creep up. I am over it today, am wearing my tightest jeans which seem to fit better already after my new weight routines! Trying to be perfect didn't work for me in the past, so I have learned from yesterday that I still need to work on practising a new healthy attitude, probably for a lifetime - but that is ok. Far better that than that miserable see saw I was bouncing around on for so many years and I know in time, a more positive mindset will come easier to me.

treadmill is still pants
Have a great week
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday morning all!

Lorelei, great opening post. As usual, you're spot on!

Today I'm going to run some searches for my clients, attack the PILE of laundry that's screaming my name (although the HH sealed the tile in the third bathroom on Saturday and then threw his clothes with sealer residue right in the washer and after three cycles through both his garmets and the washer now smell vile so I'm not so sure how that's going to go... ), and go to the gym. Those are the firm plans; if I get really motivated I might have a go at sorting out my shoes (I must have brought 30 pairs home from my office last week), but no promises!

Last night after my open house I took a new client out for the first time. A really lovely couple and we had a nice outing--except for the very first showing. First of all the other agent was late, which throws everything off because I run a tight schedule, then we ended up trapped on the roof deck of the building. As we went down the hallway toward the door to the deck she just breezed right though, so we did too, and then SLAM, the door closed behind us. I had an "OMG" moment in the back of my mind, but I figured it was her listing and she should know, plus the clients were asking me questions by then so I went over and talked to them. When it was time to go downstiars the other agent went over to the door and was cranking the handle up and down with a look of total horror on her face. It wouldn't budge. Finally we tried the fire stairwell--and the doors at the bottom were locked when we go to them (talk about a code violation!!!). So we went back up to the roof and the lisiting agent called another agent who I hoped would be able to help, but all it turned into was a call of complaint about the situation, so I called information to get the number for the management office of the building because sometimes that number will roll over to the doorman off-hours, but it didn't. As a last resort I called the HH (we only live about a mile away) and he hopped on his bike and was speeding over there to tell the doorman we were trapped when I decided to try the door myself. The listing agent was right--the handle did not move up or down--but all you had to do was PUSH the damn door and it opened. Un-Frickin'-Believeable. Not to mention the HH was virtually at the building by then too. Sheesh!!!

Anyway, after the property adventure the HH made chicken breasts stuffed with mushrooms and onions with a breadcrumb crust baked in the oven and some zucchini for dinner. He also made me a stuffed chicken breast for lunch, and I just had a firber one bar and a diet pepsi for breakfast. Already I see I'm going to save 100 cals/day by virtue of not walking past a Starbucks and having coffee in the morning, LOL.

Off to do my searches!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Monday to everyone!
35.gif

Lorelei, we can have our cake and eat it too; as long as it in is moderation. You are so right that we are not perfect and never will be. We will have those days on occasion where we crave and eat some things but the way we succeed is by making the decisions time and time again to lead a healthier life. Another important key you mentioned is that we have to do this for the rest of our life and we all accept that. It''s just part of our daily lives.

Sorry to hear your TM is still pants but that is wonderful your tightest jeans fit better. Yeah!

Have a great day.
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy monday...

lorelei, you are right on again this morning, my perspective is different right now just because i''m preggo but i''ve been at the place you described often enough.

marcy..glad you had a good weekend..and Christmas shopping?? girl you are on the ball!!

deejay..hope you enjoy your first real day of freedom. maybe use extra hot water and extra fabric softener in your first load..lol? you always seem to have such crazy adventures.

Rod, i know you''ll check in later but i always think of you when watching desparate Housewives, although I wonder why I still watch it b/c it''s so outlandish. anyway, saw the new couple comes next week, can''t wait
36.gif
hope you and charlie had a great weekend too..

mara you are turning into She-Ra woman...i bet you are looking so fit and fab. makes me really anxious to hurry up and have this baby so I can get a trainer to kick my booty too!!

skippy, I hope you had a great weekend too. i always wonder if you are hiking on sat. mornings when I go with my girlfriends. hope you have a great week too.

hey to everyone else too...happy monday!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol mrs salvo i dont know about she ra but thanks...
2.gif

lorelei, spot on opener...!! i def have my great days and my old way of thinking days. i do think it''s always a work in progress but i def feel that if the old way of thinking became such a way of life that eventually this new one will too. someday! and who knows, the craving you might have had might have been your body saying ''hey i''m not getting enough of XYZ'' and it might have manifested in a craving for something sweet that you like with that XYZ nutrient in it. it''s interesting how your body will use tricks to try to get us to eat and fulfill the nutrient need. sorry about the treaddie but yay for tight pants not so tight anymore!

dj, i agree with mrs salvo, your adventures are always so funny!! i''m sure not at the time while they are happening but recounted later for sure hehee. stuffed chix breast sounds yummy.

so happy monday all. already my week is shaping up to be a headache, we launched this new program last week against a competitive one we already have running and the existing program vendor is already whining and complaining about the competition the other new program will give them. they say they welcome it but then it seems like every day there''s some other issue with the new program for them. i feel like a parent playing intermediary between the two!!

but i have mexico to look fwd to next week, so yay for that!! and this week i am going to try to do lighter carbs, lighter sugar so we''ll see how THAT goes. considering i ended up having like 2 pieces of the pumpkin chocolate chip bread last nite...the sooner that is out of the house the better for sure...even if it is ''healthy'' it''s still bread. hehee.

this morning i did a la tortilla artisan tortilla (more like tortillas than wraps like the original) with scrambled egg whites, a bit of 2% blend cheese and some red pepper for spiciness, and salt. yummy. and coffee with milk. breakfast with the cereal mix is def more of a carb heavy one...while i really like it i am going to try to get more protein than carbs in my breakfasts this week and see how that goes.

the other interesting thing is that even though i guess my nutritionist said i eat a pretty low fat diet...when i input all my stuff into fitday, i have noticed consistently that my fat intake is typically higher than i expect or thought. my sparkpeople range says 30-75 grams of fat and while i think ''wow i am sure i never hit 75''...i actually do a fair amount!! i am trying to keep fat intake around 20% of my food but at least half of the week it''s more like 30%. i also DO need to get enough good fats aka in almonds etc but it''s so easy to get that with like 10 almonds, that i really should watch the other fats more carefully. i wonder if i was able to get more consistent with the 20% if my mini love handles would finally disappear????

anyhow, off to get ready for work, have a great monday all!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Dee, Marcy, MrsSalvo and Mara!! It does help to know that these pesky sweet crave days are something we share and I think it helps so much to be able to comiserate with each other with these things! Mara, I think you are right that it could be our bodies'' way of trying to get us to eat something we may be lacking with sweet cravings etc. I was reading a muscle mag recently where it was advising if you had a craving for protein such as a hamburger, have a protein shake instead. I should have paid attention and read on to see if there was any info for a sweet craving.

Dee- sorry for your laundry mishaps! Is the Monster still whizzing in the upper floors of your house, or has he stopped now, just curious???

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL Mrs. S. and Mara, being trapped on the roof is funny NOW but it sure the hell wasn''t at the time! I didn''t care so much about me (I knew I''d get down eventually) but I wasn''t sure how my client were going to take it, ha ha.

Lorelei, The Monster has not done anything in the house *per se* for quite some time, but he has taken to what the dog walker refers to as "acting out" and pooping in his crate EVERY TIME we put him in it now. I have no idea what''s going on in his little doggie brain or what to do about it... Any ideas?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2007 11:02:04 AM
Author: Dee*Jay
LOL Mrs. S. and Mara, being trapped on the roof is funny NOW but it sure the hell wasn't at the time! I didn't care so much about me (I knew I'd get down eventually) but I wasn't sure how my client were going to take it, ha ha.

Lorelei, The Monster has not done anything in the house *per se* for quite some time, but he has taken to what the dog walker refers to as 'acting out' and pooping in his crate EVERY TIME we put him in it now. I have no idea what's going on in his little doggie brain or what to do about it... Any ideas?
Thats good that the whizzing and things have stopped, maybe he is associating his crate as being a potty for some reason...Does he do it shortly after he enters it, or after he has been in there a while? I am thinking maybe some of our other doggy owners who have crated might have some good advice and might have overcome this obstacle!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2007 11:10:12 AM
Author: Lorelei

LOL Mrs. S. and Mara, being trapped on the roof is funny NOW but it sure the hell wasn''t at the time! I didn''t care so much about me (I knew I''d get down eventually) but I wasn''t sure how my client were going to take it, ha ha.

Lorelei, The Monster has not done anything in the house *per se* for quite some time, but he has taken to what the dog walker refers to as ''acting out'' and pooping in his crate EVERY TIME we put him in it now. I have no idea what''s going on in his little doggie brain or what to do about it... Any ideas?
Thats good that the whizzing and things have stopped, maybe he is associating his crate as being a potty for some reason...Does he do it shortly after he enters it, or after he has been in there a while? I am thinking maybe some of our other doggy owners who have crated might have some good advice and might have overcome this obstacle!

Lorelei, we don''t know about the timing. For the past week we would put him in there in the morning when we went to work, and about 4 hrs later the dog walker would come and there it would be, so who knows when he did it. Often he would do it after he already did #2 on his morning walk so you would think he''d be "empty" LOL.

I do have a thought that''s nagging in the back of my head though... We had gotten him to the point that we could just say "kennel" and he''d zip right in there. We''d give him a rawhide or some other treat to occupy him and all was good. But the dog walker stayed here while we were in Florida and I know she did crate him some of the time in the day when she was gone. So I wonder if something happened that week that''s causing the problem...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2007 11:28:26 AM

Date: 10/15/2007 11:10:12 AM
Author: Lorelei

Lorelei, The Monster has not done anything in the house *per se* for quite some time, but he has taken to what the dog walker refers to as ''acting out'' and pooping in his crate EVERY TIME we put him in it now. I have no idea what''s going on in his little doggie brain or what to do about it... Any ideas?

Lorelei, we don''t know about the timing. For the past week we would put him in there in the morning when we went to work, and about 4 hrs later the dog walker would come and there it would be, so who knows when he did it. Often he would do it after he already did #2 on his morning walk so you would think he''d be ''empty'' LOL.

I do have a thought that''s nagging in the back of my head though... We had gotten him to the point that we could just say ''kennel'' and he''d zip right in there. We''d give him a rawhide or some other treat to occupy him and all was good. But the dog walker stayed here while we were in Florida and I know she did crate him some of the time in the day when she was gone. So I wonder if something happened that week that''s causing the problem...
I think you could be right and that something happened while you were away....I guess now go back to basics to get him to not asociate his crate with being a lavatory, do you have the time to retrain him perhaps? To start him off with a short interval in there, let him out for potty, praise and build from there? Maybe Mara or Alj can chime in to offer better advice for you, it is a shame this happened but I bet you can show him what to do!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, yes, retraining is what we think we''re going to have to do.

The good news is I should be home a lot more in the day now so he won''t have to spend as much time in there, but we do want to have it as an option for when we are both out.

(Sorry everyone for the threadjack!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2007 11:37:54 AM
Lorelei, yes, retraining is what we think we're going to have to do.

The good news is I should be home a lot more in the day now so he won't have to spend as much time in there, but we do want to have it as an option for when we are both out.

(Sorry everyone for the threadjack!)
I think you can overcome this fairly easily, especially as you will have more time now, he will get the hang of things again and you should be able to use the crate when needed.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei, you and I must have been sharing a brain last night. I guess all this talk about fall cookie/pumpkin recipes had me craving something sweet. Well all day I wanted like a frosted or chocolate something. Well finally before I went to bed I had 2 Reisen's (chocolate covered carmels) and did all the things you talked about. This morning I woke up happy and remembered all thing in moderation so yay to your opening this morning! I could of done like in the past and had several chocolates. Yay for weights and not letting the treadmill get you down!

Diver, is etools still free to you? I would use that to track your eating and weight loss. I found it helpful since they gave it to me free. Whooo hooo for joining the WWT! Sounds like you are almost to your goal weight; great job! Congrats on your beautiful baby!

DeeJay, I can't believe that other realtor called another realtor to complain, super annoying! See you are going to go far w/your quick thinking! You are the take action woman, whoo hoo! Glad hubby made you a good dinner. Yay for going to the gym. I am laughing at the 30 pairs of shoes that made it to your office (where did you store all those shoes)?? I am imagining desk drawers full of shoes. heheee

Marcy, I think that is awesome you can stop at one brownie, big kudos. If I ever make anything like that I give the rest away to the neighbor who has kids. How fun to be buying decorations early. My hubby is the grinch; he does not like the winter holidays.

Mrs. Salvo, you are so sweet I could just hug you! I don't hike; I am now biking w/hubby on the weekend. My cousin who I use to walk w/has been so busy (she is a project manager of a large co and has twins so she tries to get 1 workout in). I wish she still could hike. I think of you too and know you are hiking since you are so good, kudos!!! I do go walking
9.gif
I wonder the same thing as you on the Desperate HW's; why do I keep watch it. It does get crazier and crazier and sometimes I feel like I am watching a slow moving train wreck.
2.gif
I just get sucked in. I am so wondering what the new neighbor is hiding from her daughter!!!!

Mara, you are She Ra! I use to want to be She ra as a kid because of the whole He man thing and he seemed pretty cute. hehee Yay to Mexico!

Rod, I can't believe Edy brought that ring; she is a nut! I am so wondering what the new neighbor is hiding from her daughter. Enjoy your sushi and don't work too hard sweet Rod!

I will go walking this evening since I love to watch the sunset, and when that happens, the moutains turn salmon pink; it is sooo beautiful! I am going to Trader Joe's this morning to get a few dinner items and then to Alberston's for grocery's. Have a great Monday all
35.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
DeeJay, I love to hear what your husband cooks! It always sounds so delicious! Mine will be making salmon in a red wine sauce with asparagus and couscous or rice tonight, and then we will eat on our back deck on the bistro table I got him for his birthday (on a PS tip . . . thanks PS!).

Lorelei
, I think you're right . . . sometimes you should just quench a craving. I tend to think that as long as I'm not craving crap, it's ok to eat something I wouldn't normally have. Recently I've had a couple of red meat cravings, which I chalk up to avoiding the stuff 99% of the time.

My original workout inspiration was a coworker who lost 20 or 30 pounds last winter with diet and exercise. Well, she announced today that she's back on the diet and exercising again. I'm glad that yoyoing is not my plan. I didn't "diet" and exercise just to achieve x goal and then stop; I'm doing it for life. My husband and I go jogging together, I do my Firm videos, and he is an avid cyclist again. We eat a lot more fish and vegetables, and when we want one of the old standard casseroles, I use lean ground turkey and whole grain pasta (and it tastes nearly the same!). I don't feel like I'm "on a diet;" I'm just eating sensibly.

Mara, your nutritionist is the expert obviously, but I thought that fat calories were no different than calories from other sources on your weight. My nutrition book, Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy, says to eat up to 35% fat of good fats -- avoid saturated fat for the most part and trans fats like the plague, but incorporate unsaturated fats in a reasonable way.

Another coworker is on a diet. She used to be really tall and thin for someone about 40. I think she's gained maybe ten pounds (or more, since I am proof that it takes more pounds to make a visual difference than you think) recently, so she's on the Atkins diet. But this is still a woman who is maybe a size 6 or something. Every morning recently I've smelled bacon cooking (in the microwave . . . blech), and it's this woman's attempt to lose weight . . . to eat bacon for breakfast! Aaaah! The yo-yo dieter was commenting about how dumb that is (that I agree on) and she referred to this woman's recent weight gain and desire to lose it as "vanity weight." Now, I still think this woman is in the healthy range, but so was I technically, and I think that any weight that you gain after you have been stable for a long time (excluding pregnancy and the aftermath, of course) should be lost if possible. You shouldn't force your body to be thinner than it wants to be, but if you were easily maintaining 130 for years, you should at least wonder if you're doing something different if you gain 10 or 20 pounds. So I don't criticize this woman for wanting to lose weight, but I don't think eating microwaved bacon for breakfast is the answer!

OK, enough soap-boxing. :) And I am trying to be a good example to my newspaper students, with whom I have more of a coaching relationship. One boy heard me talking about jogging with a coworker in between classes, and (this was a little creepy, but I am old enough and in charge enough now not to flip out when things like this happened) looked me up and down and told me I didn't need to be jogging. So I said, au contraire, I am not jogging in an effort to lose weight; I am jogging to be healthy and fit, and that I did need to lose weight and work out seven months ago when I weighed 20 pounds more. And today I told them about my husband winning the race and quitting smoking (because I know some of them smoke
7.gif
and most of them eat crap all the time and don't exercise) and how we're the healthy new us. And the same boy (who could lose some weight himself) said, yeah, he knew how easy it was to get out of shape. So maybe we can start a revolution. Or at least, as I'm sure we all have been on the giving or receiving end of, we can inspire others one by one.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
evening all!! or early evening over here anyway! Sounds like everyone is having a nice Monday, or nice as possible.

lorelei, yeah actually that was similar to what i read recently as well about what your body is craving. the body just knows 'nutrients', it doesn't know FOODS, but our minds know foods, so we think mmmm hamburger when you might be thinking protein. this article i read said things like 'craving potatoes? your body might be missing XYZ' nutrient'. which i can't recall what it was now, but def interesting.

one bonus of tracking in fitday is that i can see my nutrient intake as well so i can keep up to date with what my body is getting in terms of nutrients...aka 100% of vitamin A, enough calcium, enough iron etc. so that's nice as i don't really take a multivitamin.

PG...i do think that fat cals are just like other cals, you have to burn them or they pack on regardless. however i did this calculation from this lean muscle mass website about how to figure out what you should be consuming if you would like to 'optimize' what you consume so that it's mostly used for fuel and not packing on as fat or similar. and my calcs came out to be around 31% protein, 20% fat, and 49% carbs. really this article also said you shouldn't consume more than 20% fats, and yes mostly healthy of course but still no more than 20%. and sparkpeople noted my acceptable fat range is about 35-75g fat. so i have noticed that i do definitely hit 60-75 many days and that it's more like 30% and i would like for it to be more like 20%. so basically if i am eating 30% fat, then it typically means i didn't consume enough protein that day. it all has to equal 100% so my optimal intake in terms of fuel would be the 30/20/50 or around there. it's quite easy to consume 20% of your day in fat quite quickly...it's basically 2 servings of almonds!

so i've been wanting to adhere more to less fat more protein and right types of fat and carbs and protein but still enjoying what i am eating. it's just so surprising because i bet most of us think our diets are pretty low fat but when i started tracking i was like HMM interesting, so 30% rather than 20%! maybe that's my love handles. hehee. but yeah, i don't think that eating 30% of my diet from mostly healthy fats is going to make me fat or anything...but if i can optimize my diet a bit why not. that's what the whole thing is about anyway for me...seeing what works, what doesn't...so that i know what to do long term.

anyhow...we had birthday cookies hanging around of course today...this is like the birthday month around here, ay carumba. these are the really bad for you but yummy ones with thick colored frosting on top and the white buttery cookie on the bottom. since i am really just a frosting whore, i ate 2 cookies but just the frosting and tossed the cookies...hehee. snack before lunch was 1/2 a piece of my choco pumpkin bread. lunch was TJ's egg white salad on a piece of flaxseed toast, and 1/2 a seaweed edamame salad from TJ's. had a bit of mixed fruit. i'm going to have a string cheese most likely before i go workout...or maybe not we'll see. not sure what dinner tonite will be...we have a bunch of options at home so we'll see!! i see my trainer in an hour...wish me luck all. hope everyone is enjoying their evening!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Hi WWTers!

I''m home, yay! Had such a wonderful trip but am so glad to be home. I saw my friends'' mom for the first time in 3 years and she squeeled "You''re thinner than ever!" It was nice to hear. Two of my girlfriends are always on a weight loss roller coaster and I would love to be able to show them how easy it can be to lose (no need to do crazy maple syrup detoxes, etc.). Obviously we all have plateaus and our bodies may hold on to weight we prefer it wouldn''t, but overall eating healthy, reasonable portions and exercising works. They aren''t open to hearing what i have to say, which I find interesting because they both watched a lot of my weight loss journey, so to speak, and they still are recalcitrant.

Phoenix, I love your idea about inspiring others.

DeeJay, hope you enjoyed your 1st week of freedom, showing fiasco and all.

J picked me up from the airport and we stopped and had lunch on the way home. I had spinach salad and a small bowl of tortilla soup. He''s making chili for dinner, yummy!

Have a great evening all.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello all!

I literally got up this morning and put my workout clothes on first thing in anticipation of a trip to the gym... and then somehow I didn't make it there until 5:30 this evening.
20.gif
I guess it doesn't really matter *when* I go, just *that* I go!

Have had a random mix of small foods today beyond the stuffed chicken breast, including a slim fast chocolate shake that I found in my desk when I cleaned it out last week I LOVE those things--really should get more.

Stephi, the shoes were actually in a giant pile under my desk. After a while the pile got so big I would rest my feet on it, like an ottoman. Couldn't use the drawers to store the shoes because I was hording things like cans of slim fast in there, LOL.

PG, my best friend went on the Atkins diet several years ago and lost 60 lbs. She actualy kept if off too. "Bacon every day!" is her motto.

Mara, look on the bright side, you only ate the icing and not the cookie too!

Kimi, I'm trying to adjust to my freedom. Saturday and Sunday were "normal" for me, and I thought today would feel like a weekend day too but it didn't because I pressured myself to "do something." The problem is I'm not sure what that "something" is exactly. I did 4 loads of laundry, ran countless searches for my clients, made all sorts of phone calls, answered every e-mail, took a mid-day nap with the pups
11.gif
, and other things, but I don't really feel like I accomplished anything today. Oh well, tomorrow I'm trotting an investor all over the south side looking at potential apartment buildings to buy so maybe that will feel more productive.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi!
PG, did you see my note to you about jogging at the end of last week's thread? By the way you are awesome for knowing how to treat that student; I would have been seriously creeped out! (But I am not used to kids!)
Kimberly, welcome home!
Skippy, hi! Hope you had a good walk!
Marcy, I hope you like the resistance band if you do get it. I like it. They travel especially well.
What snacks do people have in their desk or fridge at work? I need some inspiration!
Hope everyone is having a great week!

Monarch, re: the ipod thingy! I went to Target in the sewing section and got velcro for like $2. It is self-adhering. I just cut pieces the right size and put one piece on the tongue of my shoes, toward the toe (actually this piece is pretty big since there is plenty of room on the tongue), and then stuck the other on the back of the ipod sensor. Voila! It works great. I read that the sensor needs to be pretty much horizontal and this way it is. Some people cut a slit in the tongue of their shoe and put the sensor in there and sew it back, but I didn't want to.

A word of caution though, I would take off the sensor when you are not using the ipod. Here's why: When you are using the ipod (in running/tracking mode) if you lose the sensor, and there is no signal for 2 minutes, it tells you. Then you can just jog back 2 minutes and pick up the sensor. But if you aren't using the ipod, you could lose the sensor and not know where it is. This happened to me, and I did eventually find it but it was a pain! Still I figure I'd rather replace a $30 sensor than wear shoes that don't work for me and maybe get injured (I have sensitive feet!) Also with my method the sensor would not be protected from water, but hopefully you aren't running in a deluge. If so you can just take the sensor off.

If you google the nike plus ipod and maybe "shoe adaptor" you will come up with lots of inventions people are selling to better affix it to your shoe. There were some for under $10 . I was planning to buy one but the velcro worked so well I stuck (no pun intended) with that! Let me know if you try it and what you think of it.

So today even though I was tired from the run I went to spin class. It was a different instructor, I actually didn't like her as well as the usual one but she did some different stuff and class seemed to go a few songs longer than usual. I was really beat at the end. I think tomorrow will be a rest day since it has been about a week since I had one.

Side note, I have been eyeing a platinum band (etoile style, handmade by a local jeweler, on consignment at another jeweler) and I have gone in twice to look at it. I've been there probably two other times as well and tried on some other band rings. Today I got less than stellar service. The more experienced salesperson abandoned me mid-visit to help someone else and I was stuck with their newest salesperson who knows nothing. Kind of a waste of time. I was just there for 15 min to take a second look at this ring. Just becasue I haven't bought anything yet and am young(ish) doesn't mean I can't or won't!

tdiddy

Shiny_Rock
hi all,

monarch: i hear you on the atkins diet. when i used to work in an office (WFH now) about 2 years ago when EVERYONE was on atkins i think our breakroom smelled like eggs and bacon every morning. one of the guys i worked with lost like 50 lbs on it and looked great but he ate steak for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with ribs and bacon in btw. needless to say when he stopped the diet it all came back. now he''s working out and dieting with WW i think and he just said to me the other day it''s slow but steady and he is just happy that it''s staying off this time. bottom line is that it''s about finding that balance and there''s no magic button for that.

deejay: your monster pup stories so remind me of my dog. he would do a #2 everyday in his cage and then roll in it and kick it out of the cage. i had to give him a bath everyday for like 3 months! then when i just couldn''t take it anymore and let him out of the cage one day to have free reign of the house, that was it. he never pooped again except during storms. can you tell who''s boss at my house???

tonight i ran 3 miles on a treadmill and did 25 on the elliptical. i am at the mercy of my sister''s schedule for working out now since i still haven''t heard the final deal on my car yet. we also grabbed dinner at longhorn and i got this chicken salad they had with grilled chicken, mixed greens, balsalmic, and the greek salad fixin''s. it was pretty good and we split it so that was good. had a turkey sub from subway for lunch and a homemade egg mcmuffin minus the meat for breakfast. oh, and candy corn and cooking light apple cake for a snack. have a great monday!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 9:51:27 PM
Hello all!

I literally got up this morning and put my workout clothes on first thing in anticipation of a trip to the gym... and then somehow I didn't make it there until 5:30 this evening.
20.gif
I guess it doesn't really matter *when* I go, just *that* I go!

Have had a random mix of small foods today beyond the stuffed chicken breast, including a slim fast chocolate shake that I found in my desk when I cleaned it out last week I LOVE those things--really should get more.

Stephi, the shoes were actually in a giant pile under my desk. After a while the pile got so big I would rest my feet on it, like an ottoman. Couldn't use the drawers to store the shoes because I was hording things like cans of slim fast in there, LOL.
lol.gif
I love that!!! Great job getting the workout in. I am so happy you are your own boss!

Kimi, welcome back! ETA: Have a wonderful day off tomorrow! Do something wonderful for your sweet self!!!

Mara, hehee those are the type of cookies I have been craving; thank goodness they weren't anywhere near me or they ALL would be gone.

Gail, yay for spin, sorry the instructor wasn't so good.

Tdiddy, yay for your workout!

I only walked 1 mile w/hubby because we got busy cooking stuff on the grill and we were losing daylight. We had grilled chicken w/a big salad and corn. I also started in the crockpot beef stew w/lots of good veggies. So today I will call my day off. Have a lovely evening all!
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Skip. I''m feeling a bit maudilin tonight. Lots of tears when I had to say goodbye after getting to spend time with my three best girl friends. I miss them like crazy and there''s a void that can''t be filled in their being so far away. Your stew sounds delish!

Dinner was yummy. I''m taking tomorrow off from work, no jobs yet and no need to go in. I need a day of downtime and am really looking forward to just being home.

Have a great night all.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I am procrastinating trying to get some work done, can you guys tell?
A couple years ago everyone in my then-office was doing atkins too. I didn''t like fish very much then and one guy was always cooking salmon. The smell was terrible!
Mara I hear you on the fats - before I started tracking my cals I just assumed I ate low fat. Once I started tracking I was like WTF I am eating 60 grams?! Most of it is healthy like olive oil, avacado etc but still. I am making a real effort to eat more protein even though it is not what I typically crave. (What do I crave? CARBS of course!)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2007 10:34:12 PM
Author: TanDogMom
I am procrastinating trying to get some work done, can you guys tell?
A couple years ago everyone in my then-office was doing atkins too. I didn't like fish very much then and one guy was always cooking salmon. The smell was terrible!
Mara I hear you on the fats - before I started tracking my cals I just assumed I ate low fat. Once I started tracking I was like WTF I am eating 60 grams?! Most of it is healthy like olive oil, avacado etc but still. I am making a real effort to eat more protein even though it is not what I typically crave. (What do I crave? CARBS of course!)
Gail, OH my gosh!!!
14.gif
I was working w/4 other auditors in a very small conference room and we were working hard so we brought our lunches. This girl brought fish and would warm it up and then open the lid in the conference room; I thought I was going to die. Don't people know they should NEVER bring fish especially if you are in a small enclosed room, sheesh
20.gif

I tried the South Beach and I was doing lots of step aerobics and I saw black and the room felt like it was spinning; I knew then I couldn't do those super restrictive diets like atkins and southbeach. I need my carbs to function or I would never workout!!!!

Kimi, how is the baby now that he is home? I have been thinking about him; I hope he is well. Have a wonderful day off tomorrow! Do something wonderful for your sweet self!!! I am sorry about missing your friends; I can tell you are so good to your friends
12.gif
I bet they miss you tons too.

Rod and Marcy, I miss you two!!! I hope you two didn't have to work late. Sweet dreams!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha you poor people subjected to strange workroom smells and in a conference room no less, yikes!! i agree that i am not into those extremist ''diets'' where it''s all of X or Y or whatever. definitely moderation and you need to have fats, carbs, proteins, and the right blend for your body.

went to my trainer for my workout and we did arms...and man did she work out my arms good!! we did a bunch of shoulder, chest, arms and TRICEPS. and i am pretty good with triceps, no arm jiggle or anything typically, but man she burned them out big time. they will be very sore tomorrow, i can feel them and my shoulders already. but that''s what i pay them for !!! plus i swear every week i see a bit more definition. and we did some ab work which was great. now that i know more about how to do the ab work the ''right'' way it''s definitely more about quality than quantity. i wanted a break from cardio today so it was perfect.

then for dinner i made us grilled cheese and turkey sammiches. greg loves grilled cheese and i started adding peppered turkey to them for more protein. and we have TJ''s roasted red pepper tomato soup which we love, it''s sooo tasty. 100 cals for a cup and 5g protein. so overall my dinner was about 35g protein, 400 cals, 12g fat. yummy!!!! dessert will probably be 0% fage with splenda and better n peanut butter for some extra protein. i feel like my muscles need it big time tonite.

welcome home kimi! your salad and soup sounds yummy. gail, yay for spin class. tdiddy, good for you for keeping up with your workouts, how is the cal counting going? i love candy corn, def a guilty pleasure. lol DJ re: not eating the cookie, i definitely feel like that is a great compromise, hehe.

have a great rest of the evening all! time to relax on the couch with greggy and fluffernutter portia.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyong. What a long Monday; I just got home. My class had a test tonight after we went over the Sun and I was there until after 9.
DeeJay, sorry your washing machine smells; maybe try some vinegar or baking soda. OMG you thought you were trapped and then weren’t. D’oh! I’ve locked myself out of our house twice now and certainly will never hear the end of it. Your shoe ottoman sounds interesting. My husband piles up his size 14 shoes around here; they make a nice mound.
MrsSalvo, I always start Christmas shopping about now when I get my midterm check. This is going to be the first time I’ll be enjoying going out and combing the mall for gifts. Your baby will be here before you know it. Yippee!
Mara, I had to deal with some whiners today too; it sure can be annoying. I hope the rest of your week goes better. I had a nasty email tonight from a new member of our astronomy club for sending out a group email with his email on it. If he didn’t want any emails, he shouldn’t have given me his email address. Funny you mentioned almonds, I had a few when I got home tonight because I was really hungry and I figured they were somewhat good for me. We could split those cookies; I’d rather have the cookies than the frosting. Tee hee. Grilled cheese sandwiches sound divine. I must make some soon.
Skippy, yeah for moderation and having only 2 chocolate caramels. I ate my last little brownie with my supper tonight and savored every bite. I was actually buying presents for Christmas but I did check out the Christmas decorations at Lowes the other day. I hope you had a lovely walk and even lovelier sunset tonight. I agree with you and TDM; microwaving fish smells AWFUL.
PhoenixGirl, that is what I am doing to is trying to eat sensibly. A diet is something that comes to an end, changing your behavior to work towards a healthier body is a life long goal. That is great to hopefully inspire some of your students to strive to live healthy lives. I sure have a lot of people comment to me that I’ve inspired them to loose weight.
Kimberly, welcome back! That is so wonderful your friend’s mom gave you such a terrific compliment. Sorry to hear you miss your GF. I have the same problem but mine are spread across the country now.
TanDogMom, I want to get a resistance band soon. I keep assorted 100 calorie snacks in my desk at work. I like the ritz snack mix, cinna grahams, shortbread sandies, honey maids and lorna doones. I found out tonight I need to put one in my briefcase for school too. I was STARVING at class tonight. How rude to hand you off to another sales person today.
Tdiddy, all this bacon talk is making me hungry for breakfast. It sounds like you had a great workout and supper today. Woo hoo!
Have a great Tuesday! See you tomorrow.
35.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, guys
35.gif
....just wondering if you have room for 1 more in this weekly workout thread? Just some background on my fitness/weight loss journey so you can get to know me....I was always fit and toned growing up. I was a cheerleader from the time I was little all throughout high school. In college, I joined the local gym not so much to stay in shape, but more to spend time with my friends (and look at all the cute college guys lifting weights
2.gif
). Anyway, I stayed in really good shape until I graduated college in 2001 and started working full time. I also got engaged that year and didn''t really take the time to go to the gym with all I had going on with wedding plans and all....well, that was a big mistake! By my wedding day, I had gone from a size 4 to a 6, so that was really no big deal, but after I got married, I started cooking all these big meals and weight just started creeping up on me. I quickly went from a 6 to an 8 and then I remember the day I had to go buy a pair of 10s. I decided that day to begin my workout routine again....well, that same day I took a pregnancy test and it was positive! So instead of starting my workout routine as planned, I decided I would just wait till the baby was born to lose the weight...big mistake again! I ended up having complications and was put on bedrest for 3 months! So needless to say, the weight just kept coming on. I ended up gaining 55 pounds during the pregnancy. Only 10 came off right away and the baby was 7.5 of them!! My baby is now 2 and it has been a long hard stuggle to get the weight off. I tried WW, but that only took about 7-8 pounds off in 6 months. I tried Atkins, but couldn''t stay on it (love my carbs too much)! Finally I joined sparkpeople.com and started making gradual lifestyle changes that I could live with long term. I subscribed to cooking light and started making all of our favorite meals healthier. I started walking with the baby everyday. Then I added in weight training. Since June I have been getting up about 4 days a week at 5:30 in the morning to run 2-3 miles in the neighborhood before DH goes to work. Since I gave birth to my son, I have lost 70 pounds. It has been a long slow process, but I am finally living a healthy lifestyle and not on some temporary "diet". I am proud to say a few days ago I walked in the Gap and bought some size 6 jeans and bought a dress at Ann Taylor in a size 4. I was completely thrilled with my progress, but could use all the help I can get to maintain this lifestyle because we all know it is harder to keep the weight off that to lose it. Well, now that I have written a book I will go, but just wanted to say you ladies inspire me! Thanks for all the encouragement!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course we have room for you - welcome Steph
35.gif

Congrats on all you have achieved and I think you will find the thread helpful as we are all about the long term and enjoying life, rather than sweating too much about being '' perfect!'' Looking long term is what works for all of us and we look forward to sharing our journeys with you, tips and encouragement!

I missed my workout last night, I did 50 mins on the ellip Sunday, but I was having pains in my hip from the weights last week. I couldn''t tell if it was a muscle workout pain or whether it could be a danger signal that I get with my hips - I can then get trapped nerves which are agonising, so one more day of rest, then I will begin again carefully.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, Steph! Thank you for sharing your story with us. Congratulations on loosing 70 pounds and for getting back in to size 6 jeans and buying size 4 dress; that is wonderful. You''ll find a lot of encouragement and support from this team along with many wonderful ideas.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
morning all! welcome steph, your story is quite inspiring, congratulations on losing 70 lbs and doing it the 'right' way!!

just a quick check in as i have a meeting at the ungodly hour of 8 that i have to be in the office for at least some of, i can start the call from the car...so just eating my egg white and 2% cheese omelet with a la tortilla factory artisan tortilla, coffee. my arms were getting SO sore last nite before bed i thought for sure i'd wake up in traction but the sleep seems to have done them good. and maybe that fage protein i had about an hour before bed! so that's good...they are still a little sore, but not in a too painful to function way. today i am supposed to hike with my girlfriend if it doesn't rain...so we'll see. if it does i will just go to the downstairs work gym instead and do ellip and walk/run combos for some cardio.

have a great tuesday all!! be careful lorelei, don't injure yourself! marcy, yummy for the last brownie, you do have some amazing self control, lady!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

Welcome aboard, Steph! You and I are in the same boat regarding how much weight we''ve lost. Congratulations to you!

Skip, the baby is doing okay. I misunderstood my friend when she said he''d had surgery, he did have 1 surgery, but it was to fix something else, his heart surgery won''t be until February or March, they want to get through RSV season so he''s not at risk. He is a bit sickly (looking and I''m sure feeling) but doing well overall.

Today I need to go get my hair fixed. My hairdresser got nervous about red and neutralized the color too much so she''s going to fix it for me. I''m going to get a workout in this morning, hooray! I managed to only gain 1/2 lb while I was gone, so I''m at 127.6, no big deal. I''m actually really proud of myself for doing so well while out of town.

That''s all for me this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results