shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 15th Jan till 21st Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Mara: I made a pepperoni pizza from scratch that came out a bit lopsided and strange, but this pizza is cooked in a 13x9 pan, so you don''t actually have to shape the dough, just spread it in the bottom of the pan. I still found it to be a bit difficult to work with but it turned out yummy so it was worth it.

I burned 400 cals in 45 minutes on the ellliptical, so I''m still on target to hit my goal for cals burned this week. Then I went and scrubbed the bathrrom shower with a toothbrush, so I just added a bit more burn, but I obviously don''t count that towards working out, it just felt good to get the shower sparkling clean.

John has some short rib recipe for 350 cals that he is going to make tonight, with veggies and a salad, sounds good to me.

My body feels stagnant re: weight loss so I''m trying to stay off the scale so as to not get disappointed because I''m doing really well exercise and calorie wise and I don''t want to get disappointed.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! The ironic part is, I''m probably healthier right now than I''ve been in a long time (vitamins, exercising, eating properly, etc.), but I''m in the 7-10 day wait now. I doubt my results will be negative as my GYN saw a spot on my cervix. It''s more a matter of what phase/stage is it in.

Either way, I''ll slowly get back into the gym next week!

Cinderella- I''m definitely making the oven fried chicken! Sounds yummy!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Feb: you are in my thoughts, I hope your test results come back quickly and with positive news.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
good to hear from you cinderella!! good that you are sticking with your program.

i just had some steel cut oatmeal. it was the first time i have tried it...i bought it at TJ''s last time and i just ran out of regular oatmeal so figured why not. then i was like sheesh 30 min on the stove?! at least it''s a weekend...so i figured why not..i have the time. the serving is 1/4c and at first you are like well thats not very much. holy moly! it made like 1 full cup of oatmeal ...haha. and i had to keep adding water for it to continue to expand. crazy! and the consistency is diff than regular flat oatmeal but it''s good! chewy...yet filling and with the oaty taste. but i doubt i''d make it on the weekdays, 20-25 min on the stove? but a nice change! and the 1/4c dry is only 150 cals. i added my syrup and some brown sugar...yum.

kimberly, deep dish eh? that might work for me...hmm.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Feb -- I''ve also had two LEEP procedures. I freaked out a lot when this first happened to me, but now looking back at it, it wasn''t a hard thing to deal with. The main thing is going to regular checkups and staying on top of any problems that arise. I had the first one about 10 years ago and then the second procedure was about 5 years after that. No problems whatsoever in between. The recovery time was also minimal. I ran a 5K a week after my last LEEP and didn''t have any problems. Try not to worry (I know, easier said than done)!

I''m trying to talk myself into heading outdoors for a run. It''s about 28 degrees, but sunny. I know I''ll feel much better when it''s over. I skipped working out yesterday and DH and I went out for a couple drinks last night. Woke up with a headache, but I feel much better now. I need to go run and burn all bad stuff out of me!!

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ah ha found the old workout thread where i posted my workout songs. so here's a cut and paste from then:

salt n' pepa - push it
black box - strike it up
c&c music factory -gonna make you sweat
dj sammer - i like to move it
dj popo - i see right through to you
alice deejay - do you think you're better off alone
christina aguilera - genie in a bottle (remix)
michael jackson - bad; beat it; burn that disco out; etc.
shakira - hips don't lie
spiller featuring groovejet - if this ain't love
sir mix a lot - baby got back
tito - i like it like that
whitney houston - it's not right but it's okay
pink - stupid girls
ntrance - stayin alive (redone)
new order - bizarre love triangle (extended dance mix)
madison avenue -don't call me baby
horny - mouseTT (remix)
gorillaz - feel good
earth wind and fire - september 99 (remix)
gigi d'agostino - i'll fly with you
kelly clarkson - miss independent
beegees - jive talkin
who da funk - shiny disco balls
eiffel 65 - blue

and then i have all these songs from this group called 'royal gigolo's and they do remixes of old songs. the three i have are 'self control' ; 'i feel like somebody's watchin' me' and 'california dreamin'. they basically take snippets and parts of the old song and weave them into a really fast techno hard beat. it helps for when i want to walk fast. i really LOVE these three songs and need to get more from them so i was going to check it out this wkd.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 9:15:44 AM
Author: february2003bride

Just curious- are there any other non-runners on this thread? I jog and power walk on the treadmill whereas it seems that a lot of the other people at my gym go full speed running the second they step foot on the treadmill. I hate running, jogging is fine but running is just not for me!

Haha Feb...I say that I''ll go out for a "run" but when I say "run" it''s actually more like a "crawl." I use the terms jog and run interchangeably, even though to a real runner, they''re probably two completely different things. If someone were chasing me, I would RUN in the actual sense of the word, but I don''t think I would last very long at top speed (probably 2 minutes max!!). When I jog, I can maybe do 2 miles without stopping to walk...but it takes me foooooooooooorrrreeeeeeeever. That''s ok with me because I''ve never been a fast runner. My goal is just to enjoy my jogs and build up my endurance.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I''m happy to report that the chilli was awesome, BUT we all had to have 2 servings
3.gif

Hmm I wish I could make it to the gym 5x a week - maybe I have to start going in the evenings after hubby gets home, but Button has a nighttime routine we are both a part of, so it''s gonna be hard to get that done, fit in a workout and then dinner when I get back. I wil try though!

febbride - hope your test comes back clear and that you are feeling better! I hate running too, and jogging is also pushing it a little for me, so I walk really quickly or use the cross trainer & bike.

Jeff - I just started doing boxing with my trainer and it''s loads of fun!

cinderella - do u have any good yoga vids to reccommend? I love doing yoga on my own at home, but am getting bored with the dvds i have.

I''m off to make buttermilk pancakes with the leftover frozen berries!

Enjoy the wkend everyone!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 3:48:16 PM
Author: dancingqueen
Feb -- I''ve also had two LEEP procedures.
I''ve had one too, and really, it wasn''t bad. Not that one wants to do it at all, but just want to reiterate that they are minor compared to a lot of things.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Nejarb, I''ve worked in the spca in dublin for the past 10 years every weekend. I handed in my notice a couple of months ago as I just couldnt work 7 days a week any longer but they''re in between staff members at the moment so I said I''d give them a hand and work a few weekends. So I was just giving medication, cleaning the cats, stables etc. We''re having really stormy weather over here too so the weather was a bit of a nightmare. Its handy enough as I can bring amber up with me-she adores the licking all the cats-such a weird dog! She gives all the horses the paw!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 4:56:57 PM
Author: JadeLeaves

cinderella - do u have any good yoga vids to reccommend? I love doing yoga on my own at home, but am getting bored with the dvds i have.

Hi Jade! I''m not cinderella but I have 2 great yoga DVDs to recommend!!! I just ordered Bryan Kest Power Yoga DVD after using it several times with a friend. It''s excellent...makes me sweat, my arms shake, my legs shake...and that''s a good thing!!! My friend who introduced me to this DVD doesn''t do regular cardio or strength training. She only does yoga. She says after 6 months of this DVD, she lost a lot of weight and can now do one armed-pushups. She looks fantastic, slim, well toned but not bulky.

Another one that I bought is Yoga Shakti by Shiva Rea. It''s more relaxing but some of the flows are heart pounding. Also an excellent workout but I like the Bryan Kest better. The reason why I bought the Yoga Shakti is because there''s a "create your own workout," where you pick the poses depending on how much time you have and how much of a workout you want. I made a 30 minute routine for my sister and myself, and it was really cool.

I still think the Bryan Kest is better though, because some of the Yoga Shakti poses are waaaaaaaay too advanced (e.g. she balances her entire body on one hand while in the crow pose. I attempted it and failed...sat that one out with my jaw open staring at the screen.)

Kimberly, my eggplant parmesan-sort-of-lasagna is in the oven. I think I screwed up. The market only had skinny little eggplants, so I bought about one pound of those. Then I think I sliced them too thick. And I used one layer of no boil lasagna noodles because I had so few eggplant slices. Since I''m using the no boil lasagna I think I''m going to let it bake for 35 minutes covered, and then 15 minutes uncovered with the cheese on top. But I think I messed it up
7.gif
Will report after dinner.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I easily walked 5 miles today. Unfortunately it was at a very leisurely pace so I''m sure I didn''t burn an calories but it felt good to get out. And no luck with a new purse but there is a black leather LV that I might seriously consider once Saks gets then in (they''re all sold out right now).

I had a skim latte at Starbucks and 80 cal oatmeal raisin bar while I was out. For dinner I brought home a salad that had lettuce, tomato, a little bit of pasta, a tiny bit of chicken, and the saddest little blob of blue cheese you''ve ever seen (I just calculated everything out and I swear it doesn''t even come to 200 cals!!!). I ate it with my own dressing (15 cals for two tablespoons) and now I''m having a lovely glass of petite shirah to take the chill off. The wine has more calories than the salad, LOL.

Mara, the potstickers are called chicken shu mai and they come in a black box. There are 17 or 18 in a box and they are about the size of large cottonballs. I rinse them in cold water first and microwave them for 2 minutes. Then I put them in a non-stick pan and cook them until the end that''s down is a little brown, then I flip them over and do the same on the other side. You could eat them right out of the microwave but I like them to a bit of crispiness to them. Be careful with the sauce--a little bit packs a big punch!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
feb I hope your condition is easily treatable if the results do come back pos. It would be better if they were negative of course, but hopefully it''s something they can take care of without too much bother.

I haven''t checked in too much although I do follow this thread. You all continue to be an inpsiration. I have committed to 30 min. on the stationary bike daily which doesn''t sound like a lot compared to you all but it''s a lot for me! Outdoor walks are out for now because of wind gusts. It''s so cold I had to go buy my dog a sweater which she''s been wearing all day (we have a lot of drafts in our older house.)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jade, I don''t like the Bryan Kest (sorry Crown Jewel, nothing personal
1.gif
) I think he talks too much, and I''m the type that gets easily annoyed. I''ve tried three times to do the entire workout but I wind up stopping after ten minutes because his chatter and cheesy empowering messages just irritates the heck out of me. It''s something along the lines of "Feel the power." or something like that.

Crown Jewel''s other recommendation is one of my favorites: Shiva Rea yoga shakti. Another one of my favorites is Rodney Yee''s Power Yoga; that is my real favorite. It''s always in my DVD player. His voice is a little off-putting at first, not as soothing as Shiva Rea''s, but you get used to it really quickly. The setting is also beautiful; set in Hawaii.

I also like Crunch''s Pilates Yoga Blend with Ellen Barrett. She mixes positions from yoga and pilates; an example would be the Warrior Pulse, where you go into Warrior 2, and then bend and straighten your knee. This one also has a decent ab workout. When I used it every other day, my abs did become a lot stronger, more toned and less fatty feeling.

Do NOT buy Shiva Rea''s Yoga Trance Dance. It''s awful. In fact, if you want ot try it out, I''ll be happy to mail it to you for free. Hmm...the three I mentioned above are my all time faves, and I mix them up with some cardio DVDs to avoid boredom.

Another tip, buy everything from Amazon. The DVDs are much cheaper than what I could find at any other store.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Jadeleaves for a different take on Yoga the YogaTV dvds are great I used to watch the show everymorning a few years ago and eventually they bought the DVDs out.
I also like Yogalates by Louise Solomon. Its a cross between pilates and yoga done with therobands and its great.I used to to do it all the time until a great pilates studio opened 2 minutes from me and now I go there twice a week.
On topic I just did an half hour of deep water running in my pool for a good cardio workout and maintained my heart rate at 60% max so that should burn some calories.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Woohoo I just googled deep water running and it said I burnt over 260 calories for a 30 minute session and it felt so lovely to be outside and in the water. Now all I need is a waterproof case for my MP3 and I will be set
36.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
LOL cinderella...no offense taken at all! I'm thinking about getting the Rodney Yee Power Yoga now, after your review. How long are the workouts on that DVD?

KIMBERLY that eggplant parmesan recipe was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!! I'm worshipping you right now for introducing me to that recipe. Even though I totally screwed it up, it turned out sooooooooooo well. I made the entire recipe but fit it into a 9x9 metal baking dish. I still cut it into 9 servings. I didn't use all the cheese mixture, so about 1/4 of it is sitting in my fridge. I only used 3 pieces of Ronzoni no-boil lasagna noodles as the top layer. I also had some leftover diced onions (about 1/2 cup) from my quiche cups, so I threw those into the cheese mixture, and I also added 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic to the cheese mixture too. I poured some tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan, one layer of eggplant, cheese mixture, tomato sauce layer, another eggplant layer, cheese mixture, 3 lasagna noodles, and tomato sauce to cover the noodles. I covered with foil and baked for 45 minutes. Luckily the no-boil noodles came out perfectly!!!! Then I uncovered it and threw on some shredded mozzarella and baked for another 10 minutes. I let it cool for about 20 minutes and cut it into 9 pieces.

YUMMY. It's probably the best thing I've made from the WWT recipes so far. I haven't figured out the nutritional info, but it will be a little less than the original recipe since I only used 1/4 of the lasagna noodles and 3/4 of the cheese mixture. The only things I added were the 1 tbspn garlic and 1/2 cup onions, but that doesn't add too much to the calories or fat. YAY!! I could have kept eating and eating and eating...but that's not very healthy is it? I had one and a half servings, but could have had 4. It's THAT good.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
CJ: I am so glad you enjoyed it. I make it pretty frequently as it''s fairly easy and really filling. Yippee to good, healthy food!
36.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
kimberly, I'm figuring out the nutrional content of my "abridged" version of that eggplant parmesan recipe.

1 tbspn chopped garlic (8)
1/2 cup chopped onion (34)
2 large egg whites (51)
2 large eggs (148)
1 lb eggplant (132)
3 tbspn flour (91)
1 cup breadcrumbs (330)
cooking spray (50)
1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozz (560)
5 tbspn grated parm cheese (108)
1 tspn oregano (3)
1 tspn basil (4)
11 oz part skim ricotta (540)
9 oz 1% LF cottage cheese (202)
26 oz fat free tomato basil sauce (360)
ronzoni no boil lasagna noodles 3 pieces (210)

Since I cut it into 9 servings, each serving is 314 calories. Amazing for something that is so yummy.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
mara re working out 3-4x a week: that is what i''ve been doing for the last 2 weeks, although i planned on going more often. and everytime i''ve gone, since i joined the Y 2 weeks ago, i''ve been there for at least 2 hrs. so really it''s enough b/c i''m doing 10 weight machines as well as about 1 hr to 1.5 hr on ellip and then jogging about a mile on indoor track and then stretching and situps. so obviously even doing all that only 3x a week is enough, but i''d like to be doing all of it minus the weight machines an additional 2x every week. and really i can easily do this timewise b/c i''m not working right now (well, i am but only 3-4 hrs a week), and the only other thing i have to do is plan my wedding. (it''s a hard-knock life, i know.) i think that may be alot to start after about a year of just easy cardio (usu just walking) 2x a week for 30-45 minutes. but at the same time, i feel like i have the fundamental hard-wiring in place to just jump back into a routine that intense, b/c i''ve done it before (several marathons) and it just seems natural. it was actually weird how fast it happened--like a few weeks ago it was hard for me to run a whole mile, and today it was easy. and the first day i got on the ellip at the Y (which i hadn''t done since college, 4-5 yrs ago) it was hard to do 45 min at level 3-4 but today it was easy to do over an hr at level 4-6.

i burned 650 cal on ellip in 70 min today, and then did some stretches at home before dinner. i think we''re going out now but i''m pretty pooped so hopefully we''ll not stay out too long.

bee, that''s nice! i love kittens and pups.q

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
CJ, the Rodney Yee power yoga isn''t programmable like Shiva Rea''s unfortunately. It''s a little over an hour long, and I usually stop about 40 minutes into the program. The beginning moves are easy enough for a beginner like me, and then the poses get more and more advanced as the video goes on. I really like the workout though, and I do work up a sweat and find myself short of breath during the workout. Like I said before, one of my favorites! :)

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/20/2007 10:14:59 PM
Author: CrownJewel
kimberly, I''m figuring out the nutrional content of my ''abridged'' version of that eggplant parmesan recipe.

1 tbspn chopped garlic (8)
1/2 cup chopped onion (34)
2 large egg whites (51)
2 large eggs (148)
1 lb eggplant (132)
3 tbspn flour (91)
1 cup breadcrumbs (330)
cooking spray (50)
1 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozz (560)
5 tbspn grated parm cheese (108)
1 tspn oregano (3)
1 tspn basil (4)
11 oz part skim ricotta (540)
9 oz 1% LF cottage cheese (202)
26 oz fat free tomato basil sauce (360)
ronzoni no boil lasagna noodles 3 pieces (210)

Since I cut it into 9 servings, each serving is 314 calories. Amazing for something that is so yummy.
Wow that''s awesome! I''ve had to use the skinny eggplants as they were all I could find, and it turned out fine, just lots of little pieces. My Italian husband actually likes this recipe, which means a lot in my book!

I am just so glad you enjoyed it. Try the beef tenderloin w/ french onion sauce, I think you''ll be pleased with the outcome of that as well. Really hearty and filling and just plain yum!

We had short ribs for dinner hubby found a recipe that was something like 350 cals for a serving (I haven''t entered into my daily cal count yet so I forget) and it was good, although it needed a bit spicing up. I''ll add that recipe as well. The only downfall is that short ribs have a lot of fat on them, so I had to eat around it. But that with a salad and some pinto beans made for a great meal.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/20/2007 11:27:48 AM
Author: dancingqueen
Rod -- would you be willing to share some of your favorite music on your Ipod? (or any others??) Rod, I remeber reading in the past that you had some face paced dance stuff? I'd love to find some new workout music. I am so bored with the same old songs!!
Sure......Since I just bought a new iPod in NC., but all my CD's are still in our condo in Tampa, I wound up buying music from the iTunes Store. Here's what I bought so far:

Classical Cardio (this one is fun)
50 Trance Tunes Volume 1
Moivie Hits Volume 2 (30 minutes of non-stop workout music)
Dance Mix 2 (30 minutes of non-stop workout music)
Christina Aguilera - Hurt & Aint No Other
Confessions on a Dance Floor
Collection of Remixed Disco Tunes

If you have an iPod and use the iTunes Store, I keyed in 'fitness music' and 'dance music' and loads of collections popped up. Then I just listened and decided if I liked the rhythm enough to have it push me on the elliptical. So far, I'm pretty pleased with what I've bought.

I hope this helps..........

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''ve had such a nice Saturday in the Carolina''s! It was a cold and sunny day. And even though it''s supposed to be wintry tomorrow night, our cars had crud from Thursday''s bout with winter, so after a cup of Starbucks, a scone and a bowl of fresh fruit, we had our cars washed. Then we went shopping and we both bought new brown (we already had black) leather jackets. You''ve just got to love Macy''s 65% off sales!!

Then we went to the gym and had a fantastic workout. It wasn''t too busy this afternoon, so we spent a lot of time on the machines and then we did more free weights which are often difficult to get to because the "big" boys are always there. Maybe it was just a good day at the gym, but I was able to lift far more weight (bench presses) than I''ve ever been able to do before (150 pounds - 3 sets of 15 reps - which in free weights is a lot). And of course we did our usual 45 minutes on the elliptical.

Tonight we met a friend at a really cool restaurant in downtown Raleigh and we had a wonderful meal.

So, it was a great day in the Carolina''s. Tomorrow, we''ll get out earlier since they''re calling for icy conditions later in the day, and of course we''ll work out at the gym.

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday.

PS: Feb, I hope everything turns out OK. As a guy, I''m afraid I''m not sure what you said you''re going through, but I''m praying all is well.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feb, I hope everything comes back OK for you!

I keep reading and am frustrated I can''t work out. My instructor cancelled pilates on us yesterday because she was sick. Which was fine because I am totally sick. I have not left bed all day. TGuy has run out to get me sudafed and stuff to eat. He made me ham and cheese on croissant, toasted. Not low cal, but ill beggars can''t be choosers and that''s pretty much all I have stomached today.

I am hoping I can get in a walk at least tomorrow, or this wed''s weigh in is gonna be ugly! Hee hee...

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hey rod!

i usually lurk on this thread and enjoy reading your cheery posts. you often mention your love of fine dining and i know someone, who will be in raleigh in the near future, and she is looking for a nice restaurant to have dinner with her fiance.

names and locations would be nice since she is unfamiliar with the town. if you know of some places that fit the bill it would be much appreciated. thanks!
1.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
YES!! another boxer--JadeLeaves!!
35.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I''m doing a late workout today before watching our New England Patriots
crush the Colts.
36.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All:

I hope everyone''s week is finishing off on a good note!

I am excited to say I miscounted my days and will be able to get in 2000 calories burned through workout this week! That makes me so excited! I''m going ro spend some time on the elliptical today burning those last calories and then more schoolwork for me!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/21/2007 3:32:09 AM
Author: crown1
hey rod!

i usually lurk on this thread and enjoy reading your cheery posts. you often mention your love of fine dining and i know someone, who will be in raleigh in the near future, and she is looking for a nice restaurant to have dinner with her fiance.

names and locations would be nice since she is unfamiliar with the town. if you know of some places that fit the bill it would be much appreciated. thanks!
1.gif
Hey Crown........If your friend and FI are looking for a really fantastic restaurant (also $$$$), I can not recommend Second Empire enough. It''s on Jones Street off Glenwood Avenue downtown. It''s an exceptional restaurant. If they''re into steaks, they could go to Sullivans on Glenwood Avenue. It''s elegant (kind of like a Ruths Chris or Mortons) and they superior beef and seafood. If it''s Sushi they want, they shoudl head to Mura, at North Hills (really cool atmosphere and the best Sushi in town - it''s we go every Friday night). Also at North Hills is 510 Midtown Grill (quite nice and more reasonably priced). In the Five Points Area, they should consider Bloomsbury Grill, or Nofo (where we dined last night). Nofo is trendy, hip great food and very reasonably priced. I just realized I''m commenting on all these restaurants and we''ve only lived here less than 2 months. People in my office laugh that we''ve explored more dining options in our short tenure here than they''ve been to in multiple years......LOL I may be all about fitness, but I''m also all about good food!!!

I hope this helps. If you need additional info, please let me know!!

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results