shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 15th Jan till 21st Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha nejarb, i am the one who said that, it was on the view...the had a nutritionist on. she said that a regular margarita is probably more around 400-500 but that the flavored ones with all their sugar and syrups are about 800 each. i think the tequila also has a ton of calories for a booze. she said vodka is the best way to go for calories in a drink. vodka tonic or a vodka w/grapefruit. mojitos are not that bad either at like 200-300 i think. but still. screw that! a margarita is not THAT good...i'd much rather have the beans and rice! since i saw that view show i haven't had a margarita, i think it's been like 6 months.

i would get one regular margarita if you want it but 2 flavored? no way girl!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Tonight I am experimenting with a deep dish sausage and veggie pizza from none other than CL, with a few modifications (I''d rather have lots of porcini mushrooms and onions and no zuchini in my pizza). I will post the recipe if it turns out well. I made a pepperoni pizza from a CL recipe a while back and it was actually quite good, I''m hoping tonight turns out the same!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
okay, you''re right. i''ll just get one and then i''ll order white wine for 2nd drink. but i like the strawberry! I always ask for it on the side and add a tiny bit myself, like less than a tbsp.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA I just did a random search on calories in margaritas...Here's the bunch of diff things that came up.

270 cals for 4oz regular
453 cals for 200ml (oz?0
550 cals for 5oz regular
676 for 10oz regular

So it totally runs the gamut! But even if you figure 4oz is 270 then a 10oz is still more than 600. Hard to say what's CORRECT really. Typically you don't drink 4 oz of a yummy margarita drink, lol...I always want two!!! So that's why I am like 'better just to not have it all' and have something else I like, like guac.

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Maria - that is exactly what I was wondering... I think my HRM will let me enter a max HR. A few years ago when I was training for my first tri, our coach did max HR "tests" on us to determine the HR zones we should be working in. The test basically involved running on the treadmill with someone else bumping up the speed every minute or so. You basically stayed on the treadmill as long as you could until you had to jump off the sides. Anyway, the highest my heart rate ever got was a lot lower than the age formula. My age based max should have been around 189 and my "true" max was around 170 or so. Anyway, I''m going to try to change my monitor this weekend and see what happens. I''m not strictly following the calories in, calories out forumula either, but I am trying to be more aware of calorie counts. Something new to "obsess" about for the workouts!!

I''m trying to decide if I''m going to take today off as rest. I was thinking about talking DH into walking when he gets home, but it''s about 25 out and getting dark. I''m not sure I''m in the mood for getting all layered up and going out in the cold. It''s Friday and I feel like relaxing and then hitting the gym on Saturday and Sunday!

Have a great Friday night everyone...

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dancinggirl, I''ll bet that''s what is. If you''re not entering your max hr, the hrm thinks 80% of max is 151 bpm for you when in actuality, it''s only 136 bpm. When you''re working at 80%, or 136 bpm, your hrm thinks you''re only working at 72%. For me, it was the other way around. I am typically at 154 - 162 bpm in the ''peak'' of step class which lasts a good 20 - 25 minutes. When the hrm was using my 220- age(45) estimate for max heart rate this was 88% to 93% of max! I knew this couldn''t be right. The test you did is the ''real'' test but should only be done under supervision. Instead, I did something on my own called a ''sub max test.'' You do an activity for a short period of time, bringing your heart rate up but not to max, then add a number to it based on your fitness level. It''s not as accurate as what you did, but it''s better than 220-age and good enough for me. Based on my new estimate of 197 bpm, I''m working in the 78% - 82% level at peak and that makes sense with how I feel. But, I will say the calories were burning a lot faster before I "fixed" the hrm!

Another thing about the age formula: I''ve read that once you''re an adult, your max. heart rate doesn''t really change. Experts are now saying it''s predetermined by genetics. Your resting heart rate is dependent on your fitness level; the fitter you are the lower it is. But you''re max is what it is. So that formula is basically pretty useless. Which is too bad because the "zones" based on it are plastered on the walls of gyms everywhere! A very short write-up on this: http://www.heartzones.com/healthpros/resourcezone/articles/documents/CarlFosterHRMax.pdf

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone
35.gif

Enjoy your weekend and keep up the good work!

I''ll have a progress report for you on Monday.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Also, I think it''s great that this group has grown so fast in such a short period of time!

It''s a group that really sweats the small stuff
9.gif

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 8:17:53 AM
Author: Lorelei
Sorry I wasn''t able to check in yesterday guys - much of the UK was hit by gale force winds and I didn''t have enough power at the house for a computer connection. It was very weird with the dim lights etc....
32.gif
10 people were killed by the weather which is so tragic, thankfully we came out of it ok as did all the animals and our buildings, house etc.

But...I wasn''t able to workout due to the power situation, so I will try for later today!
I too am so glad to hear you are safe and sound Lorelei. Odd weather we''re having worldwide, don''t you think?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, report on the CL Fettucine Alfredo. I made the whole recipe and ate a quarter of it. It''s pretty good. I''d give it 3.5 out of 4 stars. It is creamy and tasty and doesn''t make me think "lowfat." I think what went wrong is that it''s only good when it''s super hot. As it cooled from super hot to...hot, the alfredo sauce coagulated a little and became more sticky than creamy. I guess that''s what you get for leaving out all the regular fat. For 399 calories, it''s excellent. I had to add a bit more salt just for taste. I also added some turkey breast cubes and broccoli for a well-balanced meal.
1.gif
My total calorie count for dinner was 632 (but that''s because I ate more turkey and broccoli).

So the only things I would change about the recipe are to add more salt, forget the parsley (totally unnecessary), and maybe leave out 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese. I wouldn''t say that I love fettucine alfredo (even the full fat kind), but I will probably make it again because FI loves it and I''m pretty sure he''ll approve. I''ll save some for him when he returns on Sunday and see what he thinks.

I''ll post this in the recipe thread too:

Cooking Light''s Fettucine Alfredo (2007 version)

1 tablespoon butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
2 tablespoons 1/3-less-fat cream cheese (I personally think 1 tablespoon should be fine)
1/2 teaspoon salt (I had to add more salt to taste, so maybe 3/4 tspn salt would be better)
4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (8 ounces uncooked pasta)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (totally unnecessary...I''m going to omit this next time)
Cracked black pepper

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and chopped parsley (this step is unnecessary). Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 399(30% from fat); FAT 13.5g (sat 8g,mono 3.4g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 21.3g; CHOLESTEROL 34mg; CALCIUM 451mg; SODIUM 822mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 2.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 48.9g

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy Friday All,

Not much on the fitness side, as those of you who know us, know we don''t workout on Friday''s and we begin our weekend at our favorite Sushi restaurant. And Mara, it wouldn''t matter to me if a complex Sushi roll has 12,000 calories, I get such pleasure from Sushi. Actually, for the last couple of years, we mainly have sushi when we eat out and as you all know, I''ve actually lost weight eating working out and eating Sushi.

Tomorrow, we''re going shopping (there''s a brown leather jacket with my name on it), we''re having the cars washed and we''re going to work out like we do every Saturday (and Sunday too).

DeeJay, we work out 5 days a week and have done so now for about 18 months. But, when we first starting doing it, we''d get all sorts of aches, pains and strains. Now, it''s just what we do and we actually get cranky if we don''t go. I believe our bodies have simply become addicted to working out. Maybe our brains more than our bodies......LOL, but we''ve made a life-long committment to healthier lives and it''s become a central focus of our daily routines. Good for you that you have as well!!
36.gif

Nejarb: I''m not sure I could handle the elliptical 5 times a week for 45 intense minutes without my iPod. It''s what keeps me paced and the music just makes the time go by so much faster. I''m glad it''s helping you too!

Hope you all are looking forward to a great weekend.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay back from the gym (oh how i missed that place) and in an hour+ of super boring activity, i managed to burn 200 cals. woo hoo for baby steps. i did 29 minutes on the treadmill, walking at 2.6mph on flat...borringggg...oh i did manage to get it up to 1.5 incline slowly over the 29 minutes. burned 100 cals. then i thought i might try the low stationery bike since i read that is pretty easy on your abdominals, and did that for 25 minutes and burned 100 cals. lol! i thought sadly of my elliptical hour long days at 600+ calorie burn. but whatever, better than nothing!!! my stomach area was kind of hurting intermittently....but it doesn''t feel any worse now that it''s done than before. and today was a good day overall with how it felt, so i think it''s slowly healing, keeping fingers crossed. i did my goal for today so tomorrow i will either take a very short slow walk with P or do nothing (we have a wedding in SF that will take all day pretty much) and then go back to the gym on Sunday and do the same thing i did today basically. if i can at least do this every other day and slowly build back up to the other machines or doing these machines on stronger or inclines, fabulous.

but on a SUPER positive note for me, i didn''t gain ONE POUND while sedentary over the last week! i am SO HAPPY! i totally feel like a helium balloon and i can SEE that i have lost some definition in my body and all that, which is no fun, but at least the scale is not registering anything dire. i would have been bummed if it showed like 5 lbs weight gain AND i had this loss of definition from lack of working out. but at least this way i know i can make it til it heals (fingers crossed) without losing TOO much ground and having to regain definition and lose lbs. so super happy about that. if i still gain a lb or two over the next week its no big deal but i was kind of scared to get on the scale after 1 full week away and all the cereal i''ve been eating this week.

on another positive note my eating today is better, less snacking big time. i had a big pep talk last nite with greg about being discouraged and frustrated about my body not cooperating and overeating and he was pretty supportive but also was like ''well if you don''t like it, then stop doing it (overeating cereal etc)''. i was like hmm. NOVEL IDEA huh! so today i only had one snack between lunch and leaving work..which was perfect. right now when i got home i had a pear. we are going to dinner in about an hour. so i''m happy about today overall. gym, no weight gain and less snacking. definitely slowly moving back on track for sure.

hope everyone has a fab evening!! oh and rod you know i love sushi too...don''t know if i''d eat a roll if it had 12k calories though, i don''t love it THAT much.
3.gif
actually i probably wouldn''t have a 12 piece roll in general, because i like to get smaller ones and share them...more flavors that way!!! hehe.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Just checking in to say that the WWT recipe thread has been a lifesaver for me.

''What shld I cook for dinner tonight? I know, I''ll check the recipe thread!''

Mara, I''m sure u''ll feel like i''m stalking u or something because I have the crockpot chilli cooking at the moment. I made a few modifications to the recipe as I have NEVER cooked chilli before and has no idea what chilli seasoning is! I used a chilli con carne mix that I found in the pantry, and used lean chicken mince and beef mince. I am out of oregano, so I used fresh basil and parsley, and added a bit of sweet paprika. I also used some red peppers.

Is the final product meant to be dryish or stewish? What do u usually have with the chilli in terms of carbos?

We need to start taking pics of the food we cook using the recipes here!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 8:59:44 PM
Author: Rod
Happy Friday All,

DeeJay, we work out 5 days a week and have done so now for about 18 months. But, when we first starting doing it, we'd get all sorts of aches, pains and strains. Now, it's just what we do and we actually get cranky if we don't go. I believe our bodies have simply become addicted to working out. Maybe our brains more than our bodies......LOL, but we've made a life-long committment to healthier lives and it's become a central focus of our daily routines. Good for you that you have as well!!
36.gif

Rod (and everyone else who works out multiple times a week) did you start out at 5 (or however many) times a week or did you build up to it? I really enjoy it when I go but I want to be careful starting out not to do myself more harm and good.

Tonight I was relatively good, but because it was so tasty I ended up having an extra helping of sloopy joes, and the happy hubby didn't hide the box of truffles I bought him last week so I snuck one of those too. Oh well, so I ended up in the middle of my range rather than at the bottom. It will give me extra incentive to go to the gym tomorrow morning!

And for Saturday's afternoon adventure I think I will take a stroll down Michigan Avenue and look for a new mid-sized purse. All mine are either too big (translation: I end up carrying around too much crap and it's heavy!) or too small (translation: to cute to be practical). So I want something in the 10" X 14" range. It's going to be COLD here tomorrow (I think the high is supposed to be 28) and my long mink weighs A TON so I should burn some extra calories just trying to stay warm and walking from store to store on the Mag Mile, LOL.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol JL...the chili was really good!! i would serve crusty bread with it or if you feel adventurous, cornbread. but really we just ate it without carbs..and some cheese and SC on top. or you could do a salad too. in terms of consistency, the top on the chili starts to look dry but it''s not, just keep stirring it. ours was not soupy/watery and yet was not too thick, it was right in between, thick but with some sauce too. but more thick than saucy.

DJ..when i started working out it was like 2-3x a week. and then eventually i realized that wasn''t doing it. so i upped it to 4x. then 5x. and then 6x. and then i would kind of waffle between 5x and 6x depending on schedule. now that i have reached my goal i pulled it back to 4x. if you feel okay, don''t worry about it...but i would just make sure to get a ''rest'' or a ''lighter'' day in too. don''t go all out for 5-6x days so soon in my opinion. you do not want to get injured like me...wah!!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 10:04:59 PM
Author: Dee*Jay

Date: 1/19/2007 8:59:44 PM
Author: Rod
Happy Friday All,

DeeJay, we work out 5 days a week and have done so now for about 18 months. But, when we first starting doing it, we''d get all sorts of aches, pains and strains. Now, it''s just what we do and we actually get cranky if we don''t go. I believe our bodies have simply become addicted to working out. Maybe our brains more than our bodies......LOL, but we''ve made a life-long committment to healthier lives and it''s become a central focus of our daily routines. Good for you that you have as well!!
36.gif

Rod (and everyone else who works out multiple times a week) did you start out at 5 (or however many) times a week or did you build up to it? I really enjoy it when I go but I want to be careful starting out not to do myself more harm and good.

Tonight I was relatively good, but because it was so tasty I ended up having an extra helping of sloopy joes, and the happy hubby didn''t hide the box of truffles I bought him last week so I snuck one of those too. Oh well, so I ended up in the middle of my range rather than at the bottom. It will give me extra incentive to go to the gym tomorrow morning!

And for Saturday''s afternoon adventure I think I will take a stroll down Michigan Avenue and look for a new mid-sized purse. All mine are either too big (translation: I end up carrying around too much crap and it''s heavy!) or too small (translation: to cute to be practical). So I want something in the 10'' X 14'' range. It''s going to be COLD here tomorrow (I think the high is supposed to be 28) and my long mink weighs A TON so I should burn some extra calories just trying to stay warm and walking from store to store on the Mag Mile, LOL.
DeeJay, moderation is not part of my vocabulary LOL. So 18 months ago when we decided it was time to become fit, we went 3 times the very first week and when that yielded immediate results, we adopted the 5 times a week workout from then on. And without much deviation, we''ve maintained that level ever since. But, as I mentioned earlier, it hasn''t been without some aches and pains. I''ve just learned to work through the pain. In fact, I''ve found that if I nurse the pain, it lasts longer than just pushing myself right back in the gym and the pain goes away much much sooner. I know that 5 times a week can be considered rather obsessive, but for us it works and now that we''ve become accustomed to working out with this level of intensity, anything less just woudn''t work.

Mara, I know how you felt about getting back to the gym. If I ever do miss a workout, I can''t wait to get back there. Just putting my gym bag over my shoulder and heading out of the garage and seeing the Gym sign, gives me a heightened sense of anticipation. I know........weird.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
The pizza was a success, except that I didn''t use enough cooking spray so it stuck to the pan. I''ll post the recipe in the healthier foods thread. John even liked it (although not as much a Pizza Hut) which is pretty good considering pizza is his absolute favorite along with KFC.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ve been side tracked for about 2 weeks. I''ve been pretty good about keeping my eating under control and now PREFER to eat the way I''ve been the last 5 weeks (and a lot of it is from the WWTs!). But 2 weeks ago I came down with a nasty sinus infection, pink eye and strep throat all at once and then this week I had to have a cervical biopsy (my pap smear came back abnormal for cervical cancer). I could probably go to the gym today but I''m still having some of the complications for the biopsy (bleeding, cramps, soreness) and I don''t want to push it. But I really misss the gym!! I have a great Cindy Crawford video that she made after the birth of her first baby and it''s divided up into 3 section; 10 minutes (stretching and mild cardio- for hte first post partum weeks), 20 minutes and then 45 minutes. I usually do the 45 minutes on the nights I can''t make it to the gym, but I think today I may try the 10 minute section (maybe do it twice?) just to get my muscles warmed up again.

Since starting to read this thread I''m officially down to 153 pounds from 161 (I''m 5''6"). My jeans are so loose that I have to buy new ones this week! I do so well with eating now that when I do have a treat (Coldstone ice cream
3.gif
) I do NOT feel bad! And I have the "like it size" instead of the "love it size" so I get my treat without feeling full.

Just curious- are there any other non-runners on this thread? I jog and power walk on the treadmill whereas it seems that a lot of the other people at my gym go full speed running the second they step foot on the treadmill. I hate running, jogging is fine but running is just not for me!

Time to go check out more recipes on the other thread
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
feb, you poor thing, get better!! Did you get the results yet??

And congrats on the weight loss!
36.gif

And no running or jogging here, just power walk.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dee * Jay,

I started very slowly after not working out steadily for over 20 years!
Luckily, I''ve never had a weight problem and have been in good health.
I started going to the gym 3x a week, 45-60 minute sessions.
I increased my weights gradually and after 2 months, I noticed a difference in
muscle definition and my flexibilty increased.
My exercise program is probably different from most folks here.
I am mostly into weight machines. For healthy mind and body and
mental discipline, I practice Brazilian Small Circle Jujitsu once a week.
There are a few women that are at the academy also.
I highly encourage everyone to try a form of martial arts for self defense and something fun and new.
Whatever exercise plan you choose...the key is discipline and not looking for excuses "not" to exercise.
Stay focused, believe it and achieve it!
Good luck...we''re all rootin'' for ya!

Keep on TRACKin

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Feb, I hope all is well and that you feel better soon.

Rod, Mara and Jeff, thanks for telling me how you started out. I know there''s more than one way to skin a cat, but it helps me to hear how other people have done it.

Just took The Demon for his morning walk (geez, I CAN''T WAIT for the happy hubby to get home--all this early morning and late evening tromping around in the cold is not exactly my idea of a good time!) and I think if I bundle up enough I should be good for a little shopping trip.

Having 1/2 package of TJ''s chicken dumplings for breakfast and I''ll have the other half for lunch when I get back from the gym (total of 480 cals for the whole thing). Since I''ll be on Michigan Avenue anyway I think I''ll get a salad from one of my favorite places for dinner but I''ll get it with no dressing and put on my own fat free balsamic vinigarette.

My ankle is a little store, I think from doing so much stretching yesterday in an effor to get the kink out of my shin, but I''m just going to work through it (assuming it doesn''t feel any worse once I get on the eliptical machine).

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Rod -- would you be willing to share some of your favorite music on your Ipod? (or any others??) Rod, I remeber reading in the past that you had some face paced dance stuff? I''d love to find some new workout music. I am so bored with the same old songs!!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
I 2nd dancingqueen''s request for ipod workout song recommendations.

BTW, i didn''t order a margarita last night. just had 2 glasses white wine. and split entree w/ my guy.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
DJ,

I am chiming in a bit late to answer your question. When I started back in to working out seriously I was also in the beginning stages of training for a 3Day walk. Before that I was spending 45 minutes a couple times a week on the elliptical. Then when training began we started walking 6 miles once every few weeks with my training team, John and I were walking a lot on our own and then towards the end we were walking anywhere from 12-18 miles one Saturday each week. This burned a lot of calories, obviously, so I cut back working out the rest of the week, which was probably actually a mistake. In hindsight I wish I would have worked out at least 3 times a week on the elliptical or walking w/ John on top of what I was doing with my team. Once the walk finished I took a few weeks off to let me body heal from shin splints and a fractured foot injury that was still hurting a bit and then returned to about 3 times a week on the elliptical. In the last few months I have upped it to four or five times a week, but I am more concerned with calories burned than how frequently I work out. My goal is to burn 2000 calories per week (this week I won''t make it due to being sick, it will be more like 1500 calories) and I don''t care if I work out 4 times or 6 times as long as I burn at least 2000 calories. Some weeks I end up at 2400, others I just make my limit. But most weeks I end up working out 4 or 5 times because I push to get the calories burned in through longer workouts.

~K

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
well done on staying the same weight Mara! That''s cool-I would have probably put on about half a stone!

I went out last night but didnt drink again as D''s taking me out to a thai restaurant for dinner tonight. Cant wait! Im going to try and get fish so that it will be a bit better for me. Not going to the gym today as I was working all day today outside so I''d say that Ive burnt a good few calories. I''ll head to the gym tomorrow and D is going to come with me which is always fun. I normally do 3 workouts per week but I''ll do an extra one this week because of the dinner out tonight.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Way to go Feb! And Mara, yea! for not gaining anything during your forced downtime! I''m glad you''re feeling better!

I just got in my last workout of the week and I''m feeling good! FI and I went out for dinner last night as our treat for cooking all week and I talked him into skipping our favorite mozzarella sticks (the restuarant uses REAL fresh mozzarella... amazing) and we ordered soup as an appetizer instead. And we didn''t get dessert. Small victories really. This is our little neighborhood bistro so we spent most of the dinner talking to our friends seated around us! A great time really!

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
Feb: I hope your test results are neg
8.gif

I am def. NOT a runner and don''t think I have ever run a mile in my life w/o stopping and walking at a fast pace. It''s just not for me and I give props to those that can accomplish it.
21.gif
I stick to speed walking on an incline on the treadmill or my latest obession, is the elliptical.

Congrats to all those who did not gain!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
yikes feb, that''s alot to take all at one time! take it easy! the cervical thing is scary. i''ve been there myself and actually had 2 surgical leeps (remove tissue), but the last one was a few years ago and i''ve been fine since. which reminds me i need to make appt to see obgyn for another checkup.

well, the 1.5 lbs i thought i''d lost was just a fluke, just regular fluctuation, b/c i was back at 148.5 yesterday morning. but i''m not discouraged at all, as it''s only been a few weeks and i just started weight training and i''m in the 5-10 lb group mara mentioned. since i only went to gym 3 times last week i''m going again this afternoon. originally i planned 5x a week, but it''s turned out to be more like 3x a week b/c things have come up. so maybe i need to plan on every day so that i actually make it there 5-6 times a week?

bee, "working outside" sounds like fun! are you digging up sod or something?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
congrats bee, nejarb and sumbride for eschewing the bad for you stuff at dinner/drinks and staying with the program!!! i find actually that 90% of the time it's easier for me to want to get 'better for me' things when i am out at dinner....though sometimes i really want the fish and chips or that dessert or whatever. but i think i definitely make more conscious and smarter decisions even when we are out, and it's kinda fun...to think outside of the box. i also try to do the whole salad before dinner thing and share it with greg ... if nothing else then my body gets some greens and some roughage to help digestion!

kimberly, glad to hear your pizza came out good. honestly i have no luck with making pizza's from scratch. i used to be able to but last time i tried it came out wonky and honestly the TJ pizzas are so good and they are fresh and i can eat a bunch of slices and it's still super healthy so we just go that route.

DQ..i posted a bunch of my workout songs on here previously, i will have to see if i can find that list. i like fast paced music and remixes of popular songs i am familiar with so that it keeps me going and i find i work out harder and faster when i have a nice beat to listen to. i would die without my ipod on the machines for sure!!

DJ..which chicken dumplings are you talking about, are they frozen or fresh? they sound intriguing and i like the idea of having 1/2 for lunch one day or sharing the box with greg or whatever on a weekend. direct me to where they are in the store? hehee.

congrats feb on losing weight even while having all these negative things going on, good luck with your test...hope it comes out negative. and that you continue to mend...(like me...slowly yet surely hopefully).

rod i totally felt that anticipation last nite about working out at the gym. my left side is a bit more sore today than it was yesterday (i think i may have somehow also bruised a rib...since that is where i feel some pain now...it's been like this for a week)...but my lower abs feel good...woo hoo. so keeping fingers crossed that things are slowly getting better and now if this rib thing would just heal up i'd be golden. hoping another week or so before i can really start to work out again...but today my legs were a bit sore from working out, i welcomed it big time as it's been a week since anything was sore in a good way!!

nejarb...in terms of meeting your calorie burn, why don't you just go 3-4x a week but up the time you spend there? i am kind of like kimberly in that i wanted to go 5-6x but if i could only go 4x that week (i'd plan ahead and figure out when i could go so i'd be sure to stick with it), i would add in an extra 20 minutes or whatever if i could and do an extra 50 cals or something every day so that i'd make my goal. that way if you are busy one week and only get there 3x then at least you are still making your mental goal. or get a walk in around the neighborhood as a supplement.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, you guys are good. It''s been a long while since I dropped by on this thread, mainly because I hurt my back and had to take it easy for a while. All better now, and started working out at home because it''s just too cold outside, and I''ve been too lazy to drive 20 minutes to the gym and back.

I''m doing a mixture of cardio videos, yoga videos and jumprope. It''s actually working out quite well for me, because at home, I can watch TV while jumping rope, which is just as effective as running. (I worked my way up from one minute to jumping for five minutes non-stop!) I''ve found that this combination of workouts helps me keep the weight off, and the yoga really toned my entire body, more so than when I was running and lifting weights at the gym. Plus, it''s easy on my back too! :D

As for food, I''ve been really good about it, since I didn''t want to gain weight when I had to wait for my back to heal. I don''t have any junk in the house and pretty much cut all partially hydrogenated fats from my diet as of two months ago. I read many articles that said that particular fat is responsible for much of the obesity epidemic in American, and it''s an artificial fat anyway, so I now read labels on everything that I buy. I''ve also found that if I eat something that contains those fats, I get a stomachache in a MAJOR way. (Sorry, perhaps TMI
3.gif
) It''s pretty interesting to find out that my body adapted to rejecting that fat so quickly.

I''ve also come across a pretty good recipe for chicken. Oven fried chicken. Take a package of saltines (whichever kind you prefer, whole grain, low sodium, etc.) and place it into a Ziploc freezer bag. Use a hammer to gently crush the saltines as fine as you can get the crumbs. Add seasoning. I use basil, rosemary, and thyme. Shake it all up. Then toss the chicken (I use chicken legs) into the bad and shake to completely coat the chicken pieces. You could cook it immediately, but I recommend marinating it for at least an hour; overnight is best for the flavor to get into the meat too. Pre-heat oven to 425 and put the chicken in for 20-25 minutes. I usually crank the oven up to 475 for the last 3-5 minutes to get the skin outside really crispy.

Voila! Healthy fried chicken. Don''t know about the calorie count, but it''s a great alternative to real fried chicken. In fact, I personally think it tastes better than your regular fried chicken. More flavor, and the saltines really seal in the juices.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results