shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 15th Jan till 21st Jan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
OH DEAR an 800 calorie sushi lunch?! Mara thanks for bursting my bubble. LOL. My heart broke when I read your post. Haha...and I thought 400 for those 12 pieces was bad. EIGHT HUNDRED CALORIES?!!! Still can''t get over it.

Anyway, it only got worse. I already had plans for dinner with two of my college friends, and we chose La Bonne Soupe because we all love sharing their cheese fondue. The three of us split that, and it was probably 2000 calories right there for each of us. Now Mara please don''t respond to say that it was actually 6000 calories for a cheese fondue...I don''t think I can handle it. LOL :) Oh, there was a glass of wine (140 calories), a romaine salad with balsamic (don''t know how many calories), and I only had room for a few spoonfuls of my tomato soup (maybe 100 calories). I did indeed have dessert, which was creme caramel (300 calories). Le OOF! Had I known that my sushi was 8 zillion calories, I probably would not have had dessert at all...I''m not even a sweets person. Haha, as if 300 calories makes a dent in my total intake for the day.

Don''t give up on me yet, though. I was walking back to the subway station when I realized how close I was to Bed Bath & Beyond (and I wanted a new scented candle) so I decided to walk the mile to the store. As I was walking I thought, well I might as well walk right on home since it''s not too cold out. So in total I walked over 3 miles tonight!!!

Tomorrow will be better. It''s supposed to be 42 degrees with no rain or snow, so I can definitely run in that weather. I have to do it in order to work off my sushi and the fondue. Eight hundred calories for 12 pieces, huh? Dear goodness.

Oh and Jade, I thought it was so cute when you wrote "Mac & Cheese last night was awesome - hubby asked me, ''what brand is this?'' and I rolled my eyes at him and told him I made it from scratch with mara''s recipe." Yeah, my fiance is starting to recognize your names too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 1:31:52 AM
Author: CrownJewel
OH DEAR an 800 calorie sushi lunch?! Mara thanks for bursting my bubble. LOL. My heart broke when I read your post. Haha...and I thought 400 for those 12 pieces was bad. EIGHT HUNDRED CALORIES?!!! Still can''t get over it.
LOL CJ...When I read your post earlier today, I mentally figured it out in my head and figured it would be no less than 700 calories, but didn''t want to burst your bubble before I could look it up. Now you can be mad at Mara instead of me.
9.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Haha...TGal feel free to burst my bubble anytime. Truth hurts sometimes but I''d rather have truth than walk around naively thinking I can eat 400 calorie sushi.

So I googled the calories for sushi, and you were right. 800 sounds correct...sigh.
15.gif
(Heavy sigh.)

I calculated my calories for all of today. 2273. Looks like cheese fondue with dipping bread is less than 1000 calories. HOWEVER, I ate enough grams of fat today to cover a WHOLE week!!! 52.4g of FAT!

Um
23.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 1:42:12 AM
Author: TravelingGal

Date: 1/19/2007 1:31:52 AM
Author: CrownJewel
OH DEAR an 800 calorie sushi lunch?! Mara thanks for bursting my bubble. LOL. My heart broke when I read your post. Haha...and I thought 400 for those 12 pieces was bad. EIGHT HUNDRED CALORIES?!!! Still can't get over it.
LOL CJ...When I read your post earlier today, I mentally figured it out in my head and figured it would be no less than 700 calories, but didn't want to burst your bubble before I could look it up. Now you can be mad at Mara instead of me.
9.gif
HAHA ladies I'm sorry but I figured it's better you know so that next time you can get the 6 piece roll instead of 12!! hee. I mostly know the sushi stuff because I have looked it up a bunch of times to try to figure out what I am eating at the sushi place. Our sushi place also has some really elaborate rolls so it's really hard to use 'generic' roll terms to look it up. But I think I have it mostly figured out....I typically eat 9-10 rolls when I go out with a friend or split it with Greg ... and then 2 pieces of fresh salmon. I always 'estimate' my whole dinner at 900 cals. Because I'm not totally sure and I figure erring on the side of more is not a bad thing. Keeps me honest. LOL.

However in terms of a splurge, it's not like I have any room to talk, hello 4 bowls of cereal tonite?? Overkill much?!

But I did recalcuate the chili based on the actual cans in the kitchen (before I did it from work and used close estimates) and it's only like 1450 cals and the servings ended up being about 5 total...I had one, Greg had about 2, and there are another 2 leftover in a bowl...so it was only like 290 cals per serving..a little more with cheese and dab of sc, but the cereal splurge didn't BLOW me out of the water as far as I can tell.

I have been wondering just what the heck is going on with me wanting to eat everything in sight lately though. Hopefully that abates soon. Typically my self-control is pretty darn good. At least it's low-cal and low-fat cereal but what if it turns into like whole chocolate cakes?! Eee!
40.gif
Greg says probably once I stop thinking so much about it, I'll stop wanting to do it. I was like that sounds good, can you flip the switch? hahhaa.

JL I am so happy the mac and cheese came out yummy. Gotta love it. I'm torn between making that next week or making the lasagna. Greg's Mom is coming to visit us from Wed through Monday of next week and I figured we'd have dinner at home on Wed since she flies in later and will be tired...so figure I'll make one of those for when she visits...and I can show off my newly acquired 'better' cooking skills, lol.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, if you start eating 4 chocolate cakes in a row you won''t be able to wear your diamond rings anymore. I think once you realize that, you''ll stop eating those cakes REAL fast.
14.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I wasn''t able to check in yesterday guys - much of the UK was hit by gale force winds and I didn''t have enough power at the house for a computer connection. It was very weird with the dim lights etc....
32.gif
10 people were killed by the weather which is so tragic, thankfully we came out of it ok as did all the animals and our buildings, house etc.

But...I wasn''t able to workout due to the power situation, so I will try for later today!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 8:17:53 AM
Author: Lorelei
Sorry I wasn''t able to check in yesterday guys - much of the UK was hit by gale force winds and I didn''t have enough power at the house for a computer connection. It was very weird with the dim lights etc....
32.gif
10 people were killed by the weather which is so tragic, thankfully we came out of it ok as did all the animals and our buildings, house etc.

But...I wasn''t able to workout due to the power situation, so I will try for later today!
I wondered where you were. So glad you and all your animal kids are ok!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ellen! It was very frightening at times, especiallly where I live it is very bleak and flat, the winds are bad at the best of times, let alone when they are that bad.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 12:28:26 AM
Author: portia
DeeJay, sounds like you''re making great progress. Where do you work out? EBC? That is so wonderful that your HH cooks for you (and might I say fabulously from what I''ve read). My DH cooks too, but we go out or order out quite a bit. That''s where I strayed from the path to a healthy lifestyle. We both get home from work late and most of the time neither of us has the energy to cook.

Portia, I used to belong to the EBC but I realized that I was spending $160/month to go about 3 times in a year so I quite. Now I just go to the fitness room my Kinzie Park complex (which is free--well, it''s included in our assessments, so that *like* being free!). It''s not exactly *fabulous* but it''s good enough for me, plus it''s only about 100 yards from my front door so I don''t have to walk across the bridge when it''s cold and miserable to get there! Last night though I was on the treadmill looking right at the EBC logo for a solid hour while wearing my EBC t-shirt. The happy hubby is an AVID worker-outer. EVERY DAY. Now HE gets his $ out of the EBC!

We rarely order out. About once a year we get a pizza (but who needs Leona''s when the happy hubby can make it?) and about once a month we get carry out from the Clay Oven, but really that''s about it.

And did I mention that the happy hubby not only cooks but he cleans up after himself too? I have touched a dirty dish in 9 years. Marriage is good!

Anyway, last night after I got home from the gym I had the worst shin splint pain on my OTHER leg, not the one that usually bothers me. I didn''t feel a thing while I was on either the treadmill or the bike, but once I got home and unwound it started to ach like crazy. I put the heating pad on it for 15 minutes when I went to bed and it felt a bit better, but this morning it''s still tight and sore. Hopefully it will feel better throughout the day so I can work out tonight because I really want to go to gym every day while the HH is gone.

Also, I managed to acquire this weird blister on the bottom of my foot, which I also didn''t notice until I got home. It must be from the treadmill because I can''t imagine I could do this to myself on the bike.

Here I am trying to get healthy and all I''m doing is wrecking myself, LOL!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2007 9:12:06 AM
Author: Dee*Jay

And did I mention that the happy hubby not only cooks but he cleans up after himself too? I have touched a dirty dish in 9 years. Marriage is good!
That''s it. I''m not reading your posts anymore.
38.gif

9.gif

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
mara i made your mac and cheese and it is SO awesome! so much flavor! thank you for sharing that recipe. i added dijon mustard and used jarlsberg light instead of gruyere (i think gruyere is just a fancy way of saying swiss cheese). and i steamed some broccoli and sweet potatoes, which went really well w/ the mac. I can''t believe how rich and flavorful it was. i mean i know it''s not fat free or anywhere close, but for the relative healthiness of it, it is incredible. can''t even imagine what the original martha recipe tastes like. probably too rich.

i went out wed night w/ my crazy friend and drank too much and didn''t make it to the gym yesterday. so i''m finally going today, with new ipod! so excited. i try to remember when i hear good songs on the radio or something that i''d want to put on an ipod, but then when it came down to it, i couldn''t remember them. i saw a thread or some posts about playlists a while back but i can''t find it now! i searched PS for playlists but just got something about themes, no songs. then i searched salt n peppa push it b/c i remember seeing that and thinking it was really funny, but i just got food/recipe stuff. does anyone have good ideas or know where that illusive thread is?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 9:19:16 AM
Author: Ellen
Date: 1/19/2007 9:12:06 AM

That''s it. I''m not reading your posts anymore.
38.gif

9.gif

Oh wait--did I mention he does all of the grocery shopping too?
11.gif

(The fact that I''ve been to both Whole Foods and Trader Joe''s in the past month in a effort to get certain things for my diet has about given him a heart attack! I hate to go grocery shopping so much that if he tries to sneak in a last minute grocery stop while we''re out doing othing things I''ll sit in the car and talk to my clients on my cell phone.)

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
oh mara, about the wanting to eat 5 bowls of cereal (or whatever else) thing--occasionally that happens to me, and this probably sounds so crazy and probably wouldn''t work for anyone else, but i do something that always works for me to "turn the switch off"...i listen to a really sad bluesy song, like "the last thing i needed the first thing this morning" by willie neleson, OR "bellbottom blues" by eric clapton. "angel flying too close to the ground" by willie is also a good one. they''re such sad songs, and something about the way my brain is wired makes me loose my appetite when i hear them. i wonder if this would work for other people.

i know it''s cooky but it might work!

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
dejay, are you serious? i''m sure that''s nice. my guy has never been in a grocery store, and he doesn''t know where the kitchen is.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 9:44:12 AM
Author: nejarb
dejay, are you serious? i''m sure that''s nice. my guy has never been in a grocery store, and he doesn''t know where the kitchen is.

Oh yes--quite serious! The happy hubby takes care of ALL things food related.

(Just to make sure everyone understands I''m not just sitting around being waited on by the pool boy while the HH slaves away making my dinner, I do do laundry!)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 9:54:16 AM

Date: 1/19/2007 9:44:12 AM
Author: nejarb

Oh yes--quite serious! The happy hubby takes care of ALL things food related.

(Just to make sure everyone understands I''m not just sitting around being waited on by the pool boy while the HH slaves away making my dinner, I do do laundry!)

Bang went my luxurious visual of you Dee!
28.gif
Hehehe....

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock

Hope everyone had a good week. I was extremely busy at work and exhausted in the evenings so I didn''t post much. Congratulations to everyone on the weight loss and other workout goals you all have accomplished!

I did my scheduled weight training sessions in on Tues/Thur evenings along with about 50-60 minutes of running or elliptical each day. Still struggling with figuring out the heart rate monitor readings. I wish I hadn''t even started looking at the calorie burn numbers. I ran 4 miles on the treadmill the other night and the total time was 35 minutes. I did a few minute warm-up and then ran at 7mph for the rest of the time. The total calorie burn was in the 280 range. I always heard a fair estimate was 100 calories/mile. I would have expected my calorie burn to at least be in the mid 300 range??? Anyway, I need to read the instruction manual again and see if I''m missing anything?

I''m also struggling with the scale. I''ve been weighing myself for the past 4-5 weeks and have ranged from 147-151. Yesterday morning I weighed myself first thing after my shower and I was at 151. I wasn''t too thrilled with that since I was back at the high end. Last night I hopped back on the scale after I got home from the gym and I was 147. I know there is a dehydration/water weight issue, but I didn''t think that could be 4 pounds. I''m trying to not get too hung up on the numbers and only weigh myself occasionally, but it''s interesting to know that I can swing 4 pounds in a day. Anyone else notice that?

I think my weight is ok for my height (5''8), but I would really like to see if under 145.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I need to spend some time on the recipe thread and try some new things! Thanks for the chili recipe, Mara. I''m going to try it this weekend for the Bears game (DH''s favorite team!!)

portia

Brilliant_Rock
DeeJay, wow, your life is good!! You have the dream husband! Although I must say my husband does cook, grocery shop and clean dishes, too (way more than me) but we also love CEO Deliveries!!! At least now we''re cooking a few nights a week and when we order out we try not to go crazy each time.

That''s great that your complex has a gym. I used to belong to EBC until the dues got up to $150 and I decided that it''s crazy to spend that much since I''m not using it as a social club, just a gym. Then I was paying for pilates sessions in addition to the monthly dues. It just got to be too much. DH and I ended up getting a good deal at David Barton before they opened so we just go over there. And now that they opened a tunnel under Chicago Ave. it''s so quick and easy to get there. We also have an elliptical machine in our 2nd BR so I really have no excuses not to do cardio.
20.gif

Sorry to hear that your shin is hurting. I had a problem with that twice last year. My trainer says you really should make sure you have good cushioned shoes and be sure to stretch your calves before and after your treadmill workout. Also, ice it for 10 minutes, then take the ice off for 10, then repeat. She says ice works better than heat. (she''s run 4 marathons so I trust her advice) Oh.. and of course Advil helps, too! Last spring I had been running regularly and had to stop because of the pain. Then it happened again late summer and once again I stopped doing cardio completely (bad habit). And the blisters... yes, seems that the walking and running is really rough on the feet. I have the same problem.

dancingqueen, you must be in killer shape! 7mph on the treadmill for half an hour? I''m impressed!
36.gif
I used to run regularly (treadmill and outdoors) and the fastest I could ever go was 6.2.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Morning All!

TD: We are kindred spirits! Your dinner sounds like mine were quite often pre-John. He prefers a sit down meal that actually consists of more than 2 of the five food groups (and wine doesn''t count as fruit, if you can believe that!) so it''s a rare occasion when I have a meal like that anymore. He''s actually reintroduced cheese to my diet though, like a bit of mozerella cut up into salads, I had all but cut it out at home because it was just too easy to eat plain.

Dinner was delicious last night. We split a caprese salad, I had the rigatoni special, it was made with a light vodka/roma tomato sauce, peas, porcini mushrooms and handmade pasta. FANTASTIC! And since we hadn''t been out together in almost two weeks we split dessert as well, tiramisu.

Tonight I think I''m going to try a new CL recipe, Tamale Pie. It''s been cold here and it just sounds like a yummy dish to eat on a cool night.

I''m going to hop on th elliptical again today as well.

Happy day all!

Becky P

Shiny_Rock
DancingQueen-

I weigh every morning first thing after the shower as well - that way it''s consistently the same time of day. I just bought a new scale, and it says I weigh 161!!! (I seriously need to get my butt in gear! I''m 5''2", and with my body/bone structure, 130-140 lbs is ideal) So, in the morning it says 161, and for kicks, I''ve been weighing at night, and it says 164 or 165. So, I do see a 3-4 lb fluctuation during the day, but usually it''s higher at night. I wouldn''t worry too much about a little fluctuation among the numbers.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
I have the scale issue as well. DH bought a body fat calculator scale at BB&B. Not sure how accurate those things are, I''m sure not very.

I am 5''5" and I was at 156 (my highest EVER) around Christmas time - and now I''m down to 152, so I''m happy with losing the extra pounds, but the other day I weighed myself and I was back up to 156??
14.gif
I''d ideally like to be 135 or even 140. But truthfully, I haven''t been that light since I graduated high school (10 years ago). I fluctuate 5-7 pounds during the course of the year typically. They also say that muscle weighs more than fat, so how can you tell if you aren''t losing as much on the scale, but gaining more muscle?

Yesterday I went to the gym and could only manage 400 cals/ 1/2 hr on the ellip. I was getting tired, and maybe didn''t eat much for breakfast. I had 1 egg and one egg white and then a piece of whole wheat toast with I can''t believe its not butter. Maybe it wasn''t filling enough? I can''t stand to eat oatmeal like you gals do, and the very thought of forcing it down my throat would make me gag
32.gif
Is there any alternative! I love cereal, but I''m not much of a fan of "healthy-ish" stuff, so bad I know, but the only thing I enjoy to eat is Special K or Corn Flakes

YUM! I made the turkey lasagna for dinner last night and DH liked it
1.gif
. I made it early in the afternoon so it had time to sit and we heated it up for dinner around 8ish. I told him it was healthy - I packed it for him for lunch today too. I''m gonna try out those berry muffins also, yummy - they sound good!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
for those of you working out and eating well and seeing negative changes on the scale, don''t worry and stay faithful. first off, it took me almost 4 months to see any changes on the scale other than it going up and down 1-2 lbs. the same 1-2lbs. i could have been so discouraged, at times i was. but then i thought, well i am doing the ''right things'' for my body, eating well and working out. so at some point something has got to give AND even if it doesn''t, i don''t want to be ''stuck'' at 150 but there are worse things and i look okay and would be more fit than 90% of americans probably. so i was kind of like well if it happens great but if not then i won''t have a coronary. then whala it started moving. i think i was burning fat and turning it into muscle, which is more dense than fat. i think for those who only have like 5-10 lbs to lose, it might take you longer to see changes on the scales sometimes because those last few lbs are the hardest, our bodies try to hold onto some excess fat. they always say for those who have a lot more weight to lose, that it''s not unusual to see large jumps right away especially if your diet goes from icky to wonderful very quickly. but for those 5-10lber people, i think it can mentally even harder sometimes because you don''t get that instant gratification going on .... nowhere near!! so keep it up and i would almost advise to stop weighing yourselves for a while. you KNOW what you are doing is right. i only weighed myself when i went to the gym and back then it was only like 1x a week (i did kboxing 2x) so it wasn''t that often. i also ratcheted up the workouts big time in order to start burning more when i got really serious about it.

anyhow...today is a new day...i am going to the gym tonite. i am SO excited, it''s almost funny. i''m just going to do treadmill walking, flat incline, nothing spectacular. i was kind of down last nite about my continued pain under my ribs even though my lower abs feel better and greg gave me a pep talk and was like you just have to be patient, at least now you can walk etc. i have a really hard time being patient, esp when it comes to things like how i feel my body should be operating...and i just get frustrated sometimes with how slowly things can happen. also i feel pressure because i have been eating more and i don''t want to backslide just because i couldn''t work out. i love me my food so i just have to hit the gym!! so i am really excited about going tonite. i hope that i feel okay and can do 2-3 miles even at a slower pace and it will help to have the calories in front of me since at home when i walk i just end up estimating based on my stride and time. if i can do a few miles tonite, then one tomorrow (just around the block) and then go to the gym again on sunday for another 2-3 miles...i will be so happy.

had waffles with butter spray (decided to save real butter for weekends) and syrup and coffee this morning. snack is oatmeal and lunch is soup.

DJ...i can''t even imagine an existence where my husband did all the kitchen work and cleanup...i don''t think i''d like that actually. i love cooking, it''s fun for me to play around the kitchen and make a big mess and hopefully something yummy comes out of it...greg likes to cook and at times he does as well, mostly like on weekends...but he always does all the cleanup of the kitchen, regardless. so i definitely like our deal...and it keeps us happy. and for laundry, we both do our own, hahaa.
2.gif

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
Rosebud - the body fat calculators on the scales are way off. We just bought a new scale at BBB in January and it says my body fat is 30, 31 or 32%. I also just bought some sessions at the gym with a trainer and she did my body fat with the calipers and came up with 23%. She was certain that her way was more accurate so I''ve decided to not even look at the % on the scale and just have mine re-measured at the gym after a few months and see if it''s changed.

Portia - The running is the easy part for me. I''ve been doing that for years... I feel like I''m in terriblke shape elsewhere like lifting and toning, etc. In the past, 99% of my workouts have been cardio and I''ve finally decided I need to change that! I hope I can stick with it.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Well I have no energy to work out these past few days,because my son is teething and I''m not sleeping well.
15.gif
I made a low fat baked ziti yesterday and it was delish. my husband ate 3 very large dishes of it. i restrained myself by eating 2 medium dishes. i really wanted more, but held back.
3.gif
Eating healthy has been going well, especially with all these new recipes to try. i''m going to make some cranberry orange muffins this weekend----i''ll prob wind up eating the tray...lol...keep up the great work-outs and eating habits!!!!!

Hey Mara---what kind of cereal did you gorge on?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
lorelei, thank goodness you all came out ok. It sounds like quite a tragic storm!

NYCsparkle sorry to hear you didn''t sleep well. I like to hear baby stories, especially about their growth and progress. They all develop so differently. Personally, I wish I could wait until I''m 50 to have my own babies, but I love other people''s babies though!! My fiance just go a brand new nephew, and he''s just the cutest thing in the world. He''s almost 2 months old, and even though he''s the size of a 6 month old, he''s still so TINY! Anyway, I know they''re a little less cute when they won''t stop crying...but still. Try to get some rest.

I''m making my quiche cups right now for my late lunch. They''re almost done. I love these quiche cups because I can make a million at a time, then freeze them and have quick and easy lunches or breakfasts whenever I want. Since they''re tiny little foil baking cups, it''s also easy to watch how much you eat.

Mara I used to get excited about working out too. Not so much anymore...but I''m hoping to change that!

Oh and for dinner tonight I''m making the CL not-as-bad for you fettucine alfredo. My fiance LOVES it (I call it Fattacine Alfatso), so when I saw this "healthier" recipe, I thought I''d try it. I think the most important part is that it''s only a cup for a serving size (399 calories). Portion sizes are key right?
37.gif
So I''m juggling around my recipes. Kimberly''s eggplant parmesan tomorrow and then Kimberly''s Beef Tenderloin recipe on Sunday.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ i think they featured that fettucine alfredo in this month''s magazine, i earmarked it to try....let me know how it comes out! it looked super yummy. i would throw some ''just chicken'' and broccoli in it, yum!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I think The Demon and I might take a night off. I went back and marked on my calendar the days that I've worked out and I have gone 4 times per week for the past three weeks (plus a few times in the weeks leading up to when I became really serious), and I've already gone three times this week, so if I take tonight off and go tomorrow and Sunday that will be five times. I want to be good about this but I don't want to go so much that I hurt myself or that it becomes a "chore." (Not to mention my shin is still killing me. I'm going home to ice this baby!)

I already have my meals planned out for the weekend and I will come in at the low end of my range every day (today included) so I don't feel too bad about skipping a day. No wonder I was so much thinner when I was single--it was easier to plan things when all I did was eat out of packages and there are no mysteries in the kitchen! (But I'm not complaining -- well OK, I'm complaining about being fat, but not about being cooked for!)

CJ - I'm looking forward to your report on the Fettucine alfredo! I love FA, especially with some chicken breast and mushrooms in it, so I hope this is a good recipe. Also, I promised to tell you the brand of frozen Indian meals that I like and it turns out to be Trader Joe's house brand. They are not a TON of food but if you're looking for a light lunch they are a good option.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DJ Im glad you mentioned taking it easy tonite...because I was going to say it seems like you are working out a lot. Which is great but just don''t overdo it. A night off is great...sometimes your body needs a rest. Have a fun night!

NYC...I ate honey bunches of oats and then trix at the end, lol!! So yummy.

Having lunch right now. For snack this morning I had 1/2c oatmeal and then a 120 cal granola bar with chocolate chips. I had an appt at 1 and we stopped at Le Boulanger (LOVE THEIR STUFF) and I got a 1/2 salad with greens, cranberries, blue cheese and walnuts and balsamic (I skimmed off 3/4 of the oil from the top which is great) and a 1/2 turkey with cheese and avocado sandwich. I brought a pear for snack, so maybe I won''t need to have the popcorn! Dinner tonite is probably at one of our fave cajun places, I plan to have their huge fresh green salad (again with bleu cheese, nuts etc...) but am bringing my own balsamic (30 cals!) and then Greg and I share their cajun popcorn shrimp with remoulade...and they have the most amazing bread pudding (he also gets a huge sandwich!)...so today should be a fun eating day but I probably won''t go over my cals which is good.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2007 10:11:22 AM
Author: dancingqueen

I did my scheduled weight training sessions in on Tues/Thur evenings along with about 50-60 minutes of running or elliptical each day. Still struggling with figuring out the heart rate monitor readings. I wish I hadn''t even started looking at the calorie burn numbers. I ran 4 miles on the treadmill the other night and the total time was 35 minutes. I did a few minute warm-up and then ran at 7mph for the rest of the time. The total calorie burn was in the 280 range. I always heard a fair estimate was 100 calories/mile. I would have expected my calorie burn to at least be in the mid 300 range??? Anyway, I need to read the instruction manual again and see if I''m missing anything?

dancingqueen, does your hrm let you input your maximum heart rate? Mine (pulseware duo) will let you input a max. or it calculates it for you using 220-your age. I have read that the 220 formula is supposed to be gross generalization and not accurate for everyone. I believe this because if it were true for me, I''d be at 85-90% of my max heart rate for most of a step class -- in other words, dying when in reality I am working hard but not about to pass out. I did a ''sub max test'' and from this estimate that my max. heart rate is about 200.

The point of all of this is that hrms calculate how many cals you burn by how hard you are working out. At 80% of your max h.r. you are burning calories at a faster rate than at 60%. If you have a lower than usual max heart rate, and you don''t enter it in to your hrm, the calorie count will be off. The hrm may think you''re at 70% when really your at 80%. (Once I put in my actual max h.r. I saw my calorie count on the hrm dip considerably
7.gif
) But, as I mentioned in another post, I am mostly entertained by the thing. Since I usually do step class and not cardio machines, so I don''t have another reading of calorie count. Rather than focus on the actual number, I''m motivated by whether a particular class or time of day gives me a better workout than others. But I''m not calorie counter when it comes to eating (other than just having a general idea). So I''m not doing a calories in - calories burned calculation as you all are doing here!

Also, I''ve read that some hrms show how many cals you burn *above* what you''d be burning anyway and some *include* the calories you burn just to be alive. A 150 pound person needs about 1300 cals a day (I think) so that''s about 50/hour. For a 35 minute workout, that''s only about a 25 calorie difference; not what you''re seeing -- but just something to consider.

nejarb

Shiny_Rock
i burned 800 cal on elliptical this morning. i shouldv''e bought this ipod months ago!

i''m going to mex restaurant tonight where they have really good margaritas, and i''ve never thought twice about ordering 2 of them (w/ strawberry puree on side b/c they add too much), but now i''m scared b/c someone said they had average of 800 cal! i actually don''t even believe that. i think that must be an extreme example of how many cals SOME margaritas have. but no way a 10-12oz frozen drink has 800 cal.

actually i can estimate that 1 oz of the strawberry or other fruit puree has 40-50 cal if it is very concentrated sweetness. (i know this b/c i make 1 oz frozen cranapple concentrated ice cubes and put 1 in about 8 oz of room temp club soda to make sweet fizzy drinks to have sometimes w/ dinner, and these cubes have 45 cal and they''re super-concentrated (1 part water to 3 parts frozen concentrated juice).) so even if you had 2 oz tequila and 10 oz of this stuff, that would be maybe 600 cal and it would be sickeningly sweet. so no, i just don''t buy it. unless the margarita is 20 oz or more and swimming with corn syrup.

i''d accept 400 cal for 10-12oz frozen strawberry marg as possible. that''s it. maybe 300 for regular.

if anyone would like to rebut my argument i welcome that. otherwise i''m ordering 2 margaritas tonight. and one a la cart grilled fish taco.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results