shape
carat
color
clarity

Weekly Workout Thread 14 Aug to 20 Aug

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2006 1:09:20 PM
Author: Lorelei
Thanks for the sympathy guys! Ouch Mara - a chin knock, your poor friend
32.gif
What a terrible thing to happen.

I HAVE A PRESENT!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Hubby and I thought we would treat ourselves to an elliptical as we have quit smoking and we found a great one online HALF PRICE! So we have ordered it and plan to also get a treadmill and a multi gym which we can set up in one of our outbuildings and turn it into our own little gym! Hubby is doing weights at the moment and misses his cardio, but going to the gym twice a day is a bit much, so if we invest in everything we need at home - Bob is your uncle as the saying goes!
9.gif

So this weekend we will be setting up the building ready for action!

My leg hurts more now, but I suppose that is to be expected. I will do that Mara, settle down with some pain meds and take it easy for a change, not that i am very good at that, but I will try!
Well now, that''s what I''m talking about. Your own elliptical!! Just imagine.......it''s 3:00 AM, you can''t sleep, so you can just go to your own fitness center and work out all you want!!! Nice going. Nice going indeed!!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei:

I don''t know if it was out of pure sympathy to you, or if falling on gym equipment was simply on my mind this afternoon... but I nearly fell during my 3 miles on the treadmill today. YIKES that freaked me out. Granted, it''s like 6" to the ground, but still, I''m not 100% comfortable with those things, so it scared me... I can just imagine what kind of scabs/rug burn kind of things you''d get. But I caught myself... after tryign to catch my ipod from falling. well, the silly thing fell anyway, and was fine... it got sent flying about 5 feet though behind me... was a litte embarassing!

In an effort to listen to the personal trainer, I''m trying to wean myself off the elliptical machine and switch over to the treadmill and running outdoors... It''ll keep the weight off better, and help with those last 5 pounds or so... at least that''s what she says : ) So I''m doing 35 minutes running, 35 on the elliptical, and about 35 of her crazy core strength/weight lifting exercises... all I can say is. Wow. Me tired.

Anyhow, yippee!
Aussiegirl : p

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
omg aussie i am sooooo going to be thinking about falling now when i am on the treadmill at the gym in about 30 minutes. YIKES!
40.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
oops, sorry- maybe we should drop the subject... thinking about it only seems to make it worse?!??

good luck
41.gif

Aussiegirl :p

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh, Lorelei & aussie- that's my fear every time i step on the treadmill! and now that i am starting to run i am scared my knees will hit each other and send me sailing. don't know why- i know it's stupid, silly and all in my head
40.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay so i went to the gym and man was i tired!! i had a 5 egg white with cheese in a tortilla for lunch and then a big nectarine for a snack about an hour before but i felt really tired! i kept at it though and i finally hit my stride at the 20 minute mark...so i went to 48 minutes and did 3.15 miles and burned 340 calories. whew! so i just had a nutri-grain bar and a bit of watermelon which should tide over for a few hours til dinner. still trying to figure out what to have. i figure the calories i burned earns me a dessert tonite? hehee.

OH and i didn't fall on the treadmill! yay! have a fab night everyone!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

you''ve mentioned your egg white tortillas a few times... they sound scrumptous... mind telling what exactly you put in there?? Also, you''re eating these at work?? So you make them in the morning and microwave them at work?? Do tell... this sounds too good to ignore : )

congrats on staying on the tradmill : )

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi aussie..actually i work at home sometimes in the mornings and then go into into the office, so sometimes on those days i make lunch then take it into the office. the egg white tortillas are super simple. i just fry up egg whites in a tiny bit of olive oil and then sprinkle a small handful of monterey jack (my fave cheese, you could sub whatever you wanted) into them while cooking in the pan. sometimes i add bits of turkey or mushrooms or whatever if i have them around. then i scramble it up with a bit of salt and pepper and just put them in a heated tortilla (i use flour but i have used wheat also and they taste good), wrap it up like a burrito and that''s that! it''s tasty, something different, and healthy. they''d make great breakfast burritos, they are about 250 calories total (100 for tortilla, about 20 for each egg white and then about 40-50 for a handful of cheese), they are very filling, and you could even add in oatmeal or something for some extra fiber. i make them on the weekends sometimes too.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry guys I don't want to scare you! Look at it this way, our workout group has had it's mishap with me falling and that should be it for a long time!

Well my leg is quite swollen this morning, but I can manage. Just after I posted about the elliptical, we had an email saying they were out of stock
14.gif
- thats what I hate about online shopping - but we have found another company with them for the same price, so we should be calling them in half an hour to see if we can get one.

I am so glad you managed to stop yourself from falling Aussie, that would not have been good if you had fallen. Two of us in the wars. Interesting that your trainer prefers the treadmill than the elliptical for calorie burn.

Great job Mara!

Stay safe everyone
35.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei... hope you can get your elliptical from this 2nd company! I''m starting to get a wee bit jealous though... your own horse, your own elliptical... WAAH! just kidding... hope you enjoy it
41.gif

About the calorie burning on elliptical vs. treadmill... We were discussing weight loss and I explained what I''d been doing (4-5x a week 1 hour elliptical and 1-2 days a week running outside) and she said she''d encourage me to sort of phase out the elliptical so much and get more running in... she suggested if I do 5 workouts in a week, try to make at least 3 of them running (treadmill or outside) and 2 of them elliptical. She said it was better for weight loss (no matter what the calorie counters say on the machines)... I do feel like I''m using my lungs a bit more when I run (this sounds wierd, but on an elliptical, what keeps me from moving any faster isn''t being out of breath, it''s my muscles aching, or chest)... So I''m trying to adjust my workouts accordingly...

Mara - thanks for the eggwhite burrito info... I knew it had to be simple, but I figured maybe I was missing something! Working at home during the morning? Sounds snazzy... again, I''m a little jealous!

okay, off to find the doggies somewhere fun to run around... always looking for new places... because new places have new doggies to run and play with... the best part!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well good to know the treadmill is recommended for burning calories, since that''s what i wanna do!!

i did my sixth workout of the week today, WHEW. i''m TIRED!! then i went over to visit a friend and took portia so that our dogs could play together and we went downtown and got crepes and i had one of those yummy smoothie drinkies with the pearl balls in them...40 calories a pop in the balls, yikes, so i tried not to eat TOO many of them and undo all the work i''d done. but it was a fun time and i love a good ham, cheese and egg crepe !!

tonite we are going to our fave fresh burger haunt with my sister so it will be a cheeseburger and fries for me...yum..with ranch!! i am hoping we can go for our quick 1m walk afterwards with portia so that we can at least get the digestion going on such a big meal!

then tomorrow greg is talking about going for a walk/run thing...so may end up doing a few miles tomorrow too but i won''t look at it like a ''workout''...more like something fun to do. hehee. hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are getting the elliptical and have gone and ordered a treadmill too...
emembarrassed.gif
11.gif

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
I'm teaching a Bootcamp class for the first time tomorrow morning! My class is very early in the morning, so I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have participants. It's a pretty high intensity workout. DH was nice enough to do the whole workout with me today (since Bootcamp is manlier than the other classes I teach
2.gif
)... I think we're both going to be sore tomorrow!

Here's what I've come up with:

First column- Length in minutes, Second- Type of Workout, Third- Specific exercises

ETA: The last set of exercises is also cooldown
2.gif

btcmpplan.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol lorelei, you go girl! if you lived closer i''d come over...
31.gif

lizzie, that bootcamp workout looks awesome (painful)...my girlfriend did bootcamp at 6am for a while and i was like girl you are CRAZY to get up that early to go work out...hahaa. i hope you get a great turnout.

i might adapt part of that for some at home workouts on the days that i feel like a homebody. do you have any idea on how many calories that whole workout would burn or similar?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh i also wanted to post this here...we're having some friends for dinner tonite so we're grilling herbed garlic rib-eyes, fresh corn with herbed salt, and having a salad on the side. for dessert i wanted something that was healthy yet yummy and super easy to put together...found this and i'm making it tonite, it looks divine.

Banana Chocolate Parfaits
30.gif

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222209

(1-ounce) hazelnut biscotti (such as La Tempesta) or plain biscotti
6 tablespoons fat-free hot fudge sauce (such as Hershey's)
4 cups low-fat coffee ice cream (such as Starbuck's Latte)
4 cups thinly sliced ripe banana (about 4 large)
1 cup canned refrigerated light whipped cream (such as Lucerne or Redi-Whip

Place the biscotti in a large zip-top plastic bag, coarsely crushing them with a meat mallet or rolling pin to yield 1/2 cup; set aside.
Place the fudge sauce in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high 45 seconds or until melted.

Spoon 1/4 cup ice cream into each of the 8 parfait glasses. Top the ice cream with 1/4 cup banana and 1 tablespoon whipped cream; repeat the layers, ending with the whipped cream. Sprinkle each parfait with about 1 tablespoon biscotti crumbs, and top with about 1 1/2 teaspoons fudge sauce.

Yield: 8 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 324(14% from fat); FAT 5.1g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.3g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 6.9g; CHOLESTEROL 15mg; CALCIUM 117mg; SODIUM 134mg; FIBER 2.4g; IRON 0.5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 63g

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, it''s Sunday night, and I hope everyone had a good weekend. Ours was fine. We had a good breakfast Saturday morning, then met our trainer at 11:00. When he saw us, he laughed and said we''d better be prepared, he was going to push us hard. And hard, he did push. He had us alternate boxing and aerobic activities for 30 non-stop minutes. The boxing sessions lasted 5 minutes each and by the time we were through, I could barely hold a cup of water in my hand. Then he had us do pushups, unassisted chin ups and finally some free weights. I was utterly, completely exhausted by the end of the hour, but it was a really good kind of tired. Still.......we got on the eilliptical for another 30 minutes after he brutally beat us up........LOL.

Today we did our own 2.5 hour workout and I was sore at the beginning from yesterdays session, but I finally settled in and did pretty well. We had our 4 mile walk after dinner (sushi - forthe 2nd time this weekend) and then had our Frozen Yogurt treat!

We found, just around the corner from our new condo, an incredible health food store. They have all organic veggies, unique foods and snacks (like air dried vegetable chips - so good), a deli, where they make sandwiches on home made whole grain breads and a fresh meat section. So, we had a chicken salad sandwhich and I thought it was fantastic. I was reading the board and thought there was a misprint as it said the sandwhich was made with Veganaise. So, I asked and it turns out the dressing they use in their salads is a Vegan (all vegetable) product and it tastes exactly like Mayonaise, only it has half the calories, almost no fat, is dairy free (no eggs), so it''s completely Cholesterol Free! Woo Hoo, it''s fantastic and I thought if any of you like Mayo, you might want to find out if your local health food stores carry Veganaise.

So, all in all, a good and healthy weekend. Tomorrow''s not a gym night, but I think I will run tomorrow night, as long as it isn''t thundering and ligntning in Tampa.

Take care everyone..........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results