shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Gift Spat - Out of Control

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Thoughts about this story? I have many, lol.
I'm particularly interested in the idea that no one gives gifts anymore, just cash? I'm about to go to my first wedding of the summer, the bride and groom registered for 4 items at one store -- these items have been bought already. Now I'm wondering if this is a way to get people to give money rather than a gift? I've always felt cash is so impersonal but I do understand that cash can be more helpful than a gift.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2013/06/19/wedding_gift_spat_spirals_out_of_control_after_bride_demands_to_see_receipt.html

Consider this: you attend the wedding of a casual acquaintance. You opt for your go-to gift — a basket filled with fancy salsas, oil, biscuits, marshmallow spread and more. You sign the card, “Life is delicious — enjoy!”

Later, you get a text from the bride — “I want to thank you for coming to the wedding Friday,” it begins.

“I’m not sure if it’s the first wedding you have been to, but for your next wedding … people give envelopes. I lost out on $200 covering you and your dates plate . … and got fluffy whip and sour patch kids in return. Just a heads-up for the future.”

It sounds like a Miss Manners hypothetical, but this was the drama that played out at a recent Hamilton wedding.

Kathy Mason and her boyfriend gifted a food basket to Laura (who declined to give her last name) and her bride. When Laura suggested Mason poll “normal functioning people” about her basket-giving blunder, Mason brought the question to The Spectator and the Burlington Mamas Facebook group, where it garnered more than 200 responses in less than 24 hours. Even those who agreed cash was a more appropriate gift thought the bride’s reaction was rude.

“We just appreciate the support;” Mason says, “the confirmation that what we did was thoughtful and not out of place.”

Mason says she was second-guessing herself in the wake of the bride’s texts, which started out by simply asking for the receipt (one of the brides was gluten-intolerant)

Louise Fox , an etiquette coach who has appeared on shows including Slice TV’s Rich Bride, Poor Bride , says even requesting the receipt was out of line. She says the couple should have offered the basket to family, friends or a food bank, then written a thank-you note that focused on the thought behind the act of gift-giving.

Here’s a taste of the email exchange:

Gift-givers: “… to ask for a receipt is unfathomable. In fact it was incredibly disrespectful. It was the rudest gesture I have encountered, or even heard of.”

Newlyweds: “Weddings are to make money for your future … not to pay for peoples meals. Do more research. People haven’t gave gifts since like 50 years ago! You ate steak, chicken, booze, and a beautiful venue.”

Gift-givers: “It’s obvious you have the etiquette of a twig, I couldn’t care less of what you think about the gift you received, “normal” people would welcome anything given, you wanna have a party, you pay for it, DON’T expect me to.”

Newlyweds: “You should have been cut from the list … I knew we were gunna get a bag of peanuts. I was right.”

Fox, the etiquette coach, says the newlyweds’ reaction is at the top of her list as far as rude behaviour goes. “It’s hard to top that. The wedding is never supposed to be about the gifts. It’s a celebration of the union.”

“You should be grateful that you got a gift and that’s the end of it. You want to preserve the feelings of the giver.”

Laura disagrees. She chalks it up to cultural differences. She’s Italian and her bride is Croatian. They’ve never been to a wedding where guests didn’t give cash.

She says it cost $34,000 to host 210 guests at a local wedding hall. Mason was one of only two guests who didn’t gift at least $150 cash (the other gave a present in addition to cash).

“I don’t know what day or century they’re living in … it must have been a regifted gift,” Laura says. “I just spent $200 for you and your guest to come and you guys must have given me $40 back.”

She says Mason’s gift was the laughingstock of the wedding. At a post-wedding pool party the next day, friends and family stopped by the living room to get a look at the basket that’s still on display in their home.

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
Last year, my daughter in law was going to a wedding in NJ (where she is from). My son was on deployment and she was on maternity leave so disposable income was dear. She asked to borrow money from me so she could give the newlyweds an 'appropriate' gift of $300! What?! I had never heard of such a thing. She was quick to inform me that her mother found out (through the NJ grapevine) that the cost of the wedding dinner was $150 a plate and it was 'expected' that the couple would receive a cash gift in the amount equal to the cost of the 'plate'. Huh. Really? I had never heard of it but maybe they do things differently in NY/NJ. I'm in Maryland and I have gone to some very fancy, high end weddings. Gifts were piled on the tables and I'm sure the couple(s) received some money cards BUT expecting a cash gift to cover the cost of being invited to a wedding?!?! I'd rather decline. Weddings really are not all that much fun anyway.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
That is flipping crazy!!!! I'm jewish and it is tradition at Jewish weddings to give cash in sums of $18 ($180, $360 etc), however we NEVER expected cash from anyone. People seem to be forgetting what a wedding is really about!

And to just say I actually thought the gift basket idea was really cute! I would have loved that at my wedding!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's insane!! If a couple is registered, I give a gift from the registry. If not, I do give a check (as Sarah said, in increments of 18 if the couple is Jewish, as we are). However, the thought that the gift should cover the cost of the meal is ridiculous! If you can't afford it, you shouldn't be doing it (and if your parents are insisting that you invite their 50 closest friends, then your parents should be paying for it if they aren't paying for the wedding). How tasteless...

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How rude. If you invite me I don't care how much a plate it costs. That's your problem. My gift will be thoughtful, in my budget, and respectable. If I found out it was " the laughingstock of the party" I would never speak to you again. You are the one who looks like an idiot.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
SB621|1371744075|3469346 said:
That is flipping crazy!!!! I'm jewish and it is tradition at Jewish weddings to give cash in sums of $18 ($180, $360 etc), however we NEVER expected cash from anyone. People seem to be forgetting what a wedding is really about!

And to just say I actually thought the gift basket idea was really cute! I would have loved that at my wedding!!!

Ohh I love this fun fact! I will do this at Jewish weddings from now on, especially since I recently found out that I have Jewish lineage.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's enough to make me happy I eloped (and live in a subculture where fancy weddings are the exception and not the rule). The gift sounds sensitive and nice, and the bride(s) sound absolutely dreadful. Of course, the following exchange makes them both sound bad ....

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
megumic said:
SB621|1371744075|3469346 wrote:

Ohh I love this fun fact! I will do this at Jewish weddings from now on, especially since I recently found out that I have Jewish lineage.

Mazel tov! Welcome to the tribe. ;-)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Circe you are too funny!!!! I wish we had eloped. I hated my wedding.
Megumic- yes monetary gifts are usually given in sum of $18 because of Chai (which adds up to the number 18), which means "to life".

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I think it is safe to assume the gift-giver won't be invited to the second wedding.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a small registry is a way to get money rather than a gift.

I had a full registry and almost everything was bought off of it... we only got about three or four checks/cash gifts. About half the guests/couples did not bring a gift or card at all.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I like what boat luvr said. Weddings are just not that much fun. I think brides should take that into account. I think they would be more fun if the process was relaxed. For me, It would not change the amount of the gift if it was a potluck or a formal wedding . I give on how I feel about the bride of groom. And yes, I do give money and like it better.

However, I don't think that basket was appropriate for a wedding gift-maybe a wedding shower, but not a wedding. I seem to be in the minority, but I think its a bit out of line. I don't think its thoughtful at all. Of course the bride shouldn't have reacted as she did. That was very bad form. Its just a story to tell about your gifts.

To All brides-- Do not expect your guests to pay for your wedding. If you can't afford it, don't have the big affair. It is to celebrate the marriage.

Annette

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Newlyweds: “Weddings are to make money for your future … not to pay for peoples meals. Do more research. People haven’t gave gifts since like 50 years ago! You ate steak, chicken, booze, and a beautiful venue.”

OMG. I don't even know how to respond to this. Rude doesn't even begin to cover it.

I do think the gift was a bit cheap. I have no problems with gift baskets at all- but this one sort of sucked. Still, why not just say "that was very thoughtful" and move on?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1371751066|3469429 said:
To All brides-- Do not expect your guests to pay for your wedding. If you can't afford it, don't have the big affair. It is to celebrate the marriage.
Annette

my thoughts exactly!
but I can see where for different cultures its about giving the new couple "a start".......
however, i'd only buy into that philosophy if the couple had not already been living together which equates to me as they already "started their future".
i'd also say that to mock any gift is rude and reflects poorly on the recipient......bad karma is not to be messed with and to put it out there with respect to one's own wedding just seems to be stupid.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kinda am of the mind if you're over 18 and out of your parents house, it's not up to ME to "help give the couple a start in their life"..it's THEIR LIFE together, I shouldn't be factored into it. Like aw crap way to go PACKRAT ya ole cheap skate, now our marriage is totally gonna suck and we'll end up yelling at each other every night and how'm I sposed to pay my cable bill if you can't give me a good start on my damn marriage huh? huh?

Please.

And I don't care what the gifts are-I'm putting on a party for people I WANT to be there, that I know will be thrilled and excited for me in this big event in my life, I'm supposed to be an adult not a simpering brat that stomps her feet b/c she didn't get what she wanted. People don't HAVE to give gifts. There is no law on the books like the cops are going to come haul your ass to jail b/c you didn't bring a gift-maybe you couldn't afford it, there are plenty of reasons-we're basically hand to mouth right now, and I'm pretty sure the bride at the wedding we're attending in a couple weeks would much rather we come and have a good time, support them and celebrate their big day, than tell my kids "Sorry, mommy's lead teacher needs a wedding gift so we can't afford groceries this week" Um-duh?

I don't think the gift was inappropriate or thoughtless. Inappropriate and/or thoughtless would be more like say...a tube of KY or a box of Cap'n Crunch and jug of milk. I think the person put some effort into the gift-it's not like it was the Time Life 80's Country Collection or something, yanno?

ETA I get the whole culture thing. But if you invite people who are not of your culture or are not familiar w/your culture, then suck it up and deal w/it. Do we now need to put our lineage on our invitations and tell people to google what is appropriate for our cultures??? Good heavens. I didn't know that about Jewish gifts, that's interesting. But I wouldn't have known it and would go to a Jewish wedding and give some nice Tupperware.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1371750002|3469414 said:
Circe you are too funny!!!! I wish we had eloped. I hated my wedding.
Megumic- yes monetary gifts are usually given in sum of $18 because of Chai (which adds up to the number 18), which means "to life".

Thanks for the background. I knew about the number, but not the reason behind it. Years ago, I was a bank teller. One time a customer came in with a deposit of checks written to his daughter. The amounts were: $18, $36 and $54 for the most part. Did you guess the event? A Bat Mitzvah.

I'm from NJ and know the..."tradition" about covering your plate. I've never understood it though. First, you plan the party you want to have and invite the people you (or your family) want to come. The guests have no say in the costs incurred. Second, exactly how are the supposed to know the costs, anyway? Should they just bring their checkbooks and take the waitstaff to the side during dinner to learn the cost per plate? No, no. Honored guests bring a gift of their choosing to celebrate the event, they are not charged a fee.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugh. this just really irritates me. Next time we have a BBQ I'm factoring in the cost of electricity, water, running the AC, tacking on a charge for use of our house/furniture/toilet/soap and our time for getting our place ready for guests and JD's time standing at the grill and telling people they can either bring me a check for their share or they can bring a bunch of food to compensate.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
My SO is much more comfortable giving money as a wedding gift than I am but, again, it's cultural. In Chinese culture, you give money in red envelopes and make sure the number 4 does not show up (no $40, 400 etc). But even if it's cultural, I know SO would not be offended if someone chose to give us a gift. And we certainly will not be keeping tabs on 'how much' people are giving us or that guests are covering the cost of their plate.

Regarding this article, apparently there are just as many people who support the bride's actions as there are supporting the guests' actions. I just can't 'see' the bride's side of it, even from a cultural perspective. Anyone able to shed light on it?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1371757045|3469485 said:
I just can't 'see' the bride's side of it, even from a cultural perspective. Anyone able to shed light on it?

Ditto. We had people come to our wedding who didn't even bring a card, let alone a gift (which we were fine with- destination wedding and we didn't register)....and everyone who attended still got a thank you card because we truly appreciated that they came.

Cultural differences or not, rude is rude. Culture is no excuse for bad behavior.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am also Jewish, and give cash gifts in increments of $18 to close family and friends. But my husband and I decide that, it is not a command performance.

I guess I grew up in a different time, when you were invited to a wedding to enjoy a special day, not shaken down by demands to cover the price of your meal or help fund the new couple's life.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1371751474|3469431 said:

OMG. I don't even know how to respond to this. Rude doesn't even begin to cover it.

I do think the gift was a bit cheap. I have no problems with gift baskets at all- but this one sort of sucked. Still, why not just say "that was very thoughtful" and move on?

I think the gift was a little cheap, but it was also a casual aquaintance. I probably wouldn't put too much more into that and probably would have at least tried to get something kitchen-y from the registry to add in, but otehrwise I do think it's a cute idea.

Also, thanks for the heads up on giving money in increments of 18 for Jewish weddings. I didn't know that, and I'll keep it in mind just in case.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
packrat|1371756069|3469473 said:
Ugh. this just really irritates me. Next time we have a BBQ I'm factoring in the cost of electricity, water, running the AC, tacking on a charge for use of our house/furniture/toilet/soap and our time for getting our place ready for guests and JD's time standing at the grill and telling people they can either bring me a check for their share or they can bring a bunch of food to compensate.

Factor in the cost of your beautiful ring, and work out the rate per guest for enjoying that view! :bigsmile:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Factor in the cost of your beautiful ring, and work out the rate per guest for enjoying that view! :bigsmile:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My SO is much more comfortable giving money as a wedding gift than I am but, again, it's cultural. In Chinese culture, you give money in red envelopes and make sure the number 4 does not show up (no $40, 400 etc). But even if it's cultural, I know SO would not be offended if someone chose to give us a gift. And we certainly will not be keeping tabs on 'how much' people are giving us or that guests are covering the cost of their plate.

Regarding this article, apparently there are just as many people who support the bride's actions as there are supporting the guests' actions. I just can't 'see' the bride's side of it, even from a cultural perspective. Anyone able to shed light on it?

Definitely not I. I have been appalled at the number of posters who have even seen fit to comment in passing on the so-called "cheapness" of the wedding gift given to the ill-mannered and ungrateful bride who had the lack of decency to write a despicable note to someone who had given her a gift!

At least one guest who came to my wedding gave me no gift. One friend of my mother gave me a very odd Finnish bathrobe of some type. I cannot begin to tell you some of the things I received. Back when I was getting married, people did give gifts. Never in a million years would it have occurred to me to be disrespectful to someone who had bothered to honor me with a gift!

I am afraid that that I see absolutely no excuse for this bride's behavior. None whatsoever.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is incredibly rude and tacky behavior and if someone I considered a friend behaved like that I wouldn't want to continue having them in my life. Period. What's the opposite of gracious and lovely behavior? This bride's behavior. Despicable. :knockout:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1371761078|3469526 said:

Definitely not I. I have been appalled at the number of posters who have even seen fit to comment in passing on the so-called "cheapness" of the wedding gift given to the ill-mannered and ungrateful bride who had the lack of decency to write a despicable note to someone who had given her a gift!

At least one guest who came to my wedding gave me no gift. One friend of my mother gave me a very odd Finnish bathrobe of some type. I cannot begin to tell you some of the things I received. Back when I was getting married, people did give gifts. Never in a million years would it have occurred to me to be disrespectful to someone who had bothered to honor me with a gift!

I am afraid that that I see absolutely no excuse for this bride's behavior. None whatsoever.
Deb/AGBF

This. This. This. The bride's comments border abusive as they are tantamount to bullying. Displaying the gift is case in point--but perhaps she should have impaled the jar of mallow in the picture. I am only sorry the bride is given an open forum (via FB or wherever) to display such boorish and lowbrow behavior.
Can you say karma?

cheers--Sharon

princesss

Ideal_Rock
The sad part is, even public humiliation via the internet isn't going to get the bride to change her attitude on this. Despite being completely in the wrong, I'm positive she's going to say that everybody else just doesn't understand and she's totally right about this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princesss|1371763239|3469548 said:
The sad part is, even public humiliation via the internet isn't going to get the bride to change her attitude on this. Despite being completely in the wrong, I'm positive she's going to say that everybody else just doesn't understand and she's totally right about this.

You're probably right. Narcissistic people can only see everything from their POV as they are the center of the universe and lack psychologic awareness.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGBF|1371761078|3469526 said:

Deb/AGBF

Gosh Deb, your post brought back memories of describing gifts over the phone to my Mom (at the time, we lived in a different state from my parents and had gone away right after the wedding and didn't open gifts til we returned) so that she could help me figure out what they were so that I could write a thank you note. Most times, we figured it out, but a couple were so odd we had no clue, so I had to write a generic "Thank you for the lovely gift. We were so glad that you could share our special day with us"....lol. I hadn't thought of that in years!!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

I'd never in my life have the balls to say something like that to somebody! So incredibly rude!

I paid 200$ per person like this bride did and I had a few people give me 35$ but I never said anything to any of those people...or made them the laughing stock because of it. :blackeye: They got a big thank you for coming to the wedding and spending our day with us.

BUT...

I didn't have a registry for my wedding. I had a registry for my bridal shower and that was it (I had already been living with hubby for 3 yrs). I had people ask me outright if I'd prefer cash or some kind of gift and I didn't feel it was inappropriate to be honest and say cash. We really just did not need anything else. One person who attended is an amazing artist and asked me if I wanted cash or a painting of us from our wedding day. I picked the painting. Do you think I ever got the painting? Nope! And it's actually half done and he's too lazy to finish....now THAT is not cool.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results