shape
carat
color
clarity

wearing 2 platinum rings together

slg47

Ideal_Rock
My previous understanding was that wearing 2 rings together was only problematic if one of the rings had exposed diamond girdles that could scratch the other ring. However, after reading this thread

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-sought-on-a-mark-morrell-setting.165184/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/advice-sought-on-a-mark-morrell-setting.165184/[/URL]

it seems that there may be a problem with wearing 2 rings together if the ring rubs on the prongs?

My questions are

1) is it OK to wear two platinum rings together if one will rub against the prongs (or two of any other metal, provided that they are the same?)

and (of course)

2) can I wear a straight wedding band with my engagement ring or do I need a spacer band so that the wedding band will not rub against the prongs? if I should get a spacer, is getting one in gold OK or does it need to be plat?

BrianGavin_SqHearts2b_070160.jpg

CedarRapids

Shiny_Rock
SLG, thanks for posting this thread! As the one who posted the reference thread and the one who is confused :???: , I'm keen on hearing what everyone has to say.

My conversation with Mark Morrell and this old thread actually got me thinking about the issue:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fitted-or-flat-spacer-band.142292/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fitted-or-flat-spacer-band.142292/[/URL]

I've come to learn that diamonds rubbing against prongs is bad. A band with a hard edge against prongs is not great either. A band with a rounded edge might be less threatening. Getting the band away from the prongs, from what I understand, is safer.

Leon Mege doesn't advocate anything against an e-ring. One reason is because his settings tend to have a lot of detail all over the shank; the other reason being aesthetics.

http://vps4986.inmotionhosting.com/~artofp5/vault/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124&Itemid=7

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It'll eventually wear a groove if it isn't a plain smooth band flat against a plain smooth band All antique PT rings I see that have been worn as an unsoldered set, if there's a friction point (prongs, some bit of filigree) end up with an obvious trench in them from the adjacent ring. With plain band stacked with a plain band it'll take a lot more time to show wear. It might take awhile to show wear depending on the design and how you wear it and so forth, but eventually, yeah- PT wears down. (Even when made of PT, antique rings that were worn for a couple of people's lifetimes end up with wire thin shanks- it does wear off and wear down just by being worn, even without a ring rubbing against it, eventually!)

It is surprising to me that your ring is already showing wear, though. I'd have guessed it would take a number of years for metal to wear into metal without diamonds helping it along.

ETA: yeah, I haven't finished my coffee yet :rolleyes:...

slg47

Ideal_Rock
LGK thanks for the info. To clarify my ring is not already showing wear, but I am asking because I have just ordered a wedding band and obviously I do not want to damage my ring.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1315072652|3009086 said:
LGK thanks for the info. To clarify my ring is not already showing wear, but I am asking because I have just ordered a wedding band and obviously I do not want to damage my ring.
Ohhhh, got it. That's good! Yeah, a spacer would be good if it'll make for fewer friction points, but *any* rubbing will, over the years, definitely make for a worn spot. Soldering is best, unfortunately, by far, if you're gonna wear them together. But although PT does wear down, it takes a lonnnnng time. A couple of people wearing a ring for a lifetime are usually what makes for pretty noticeable wear (i.e., wire thin shanks, a big trench from an adjacent ring etc.)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It does seem like getting a spacer would be prudent.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, interesting. I also thought that it was only an issue If diamonds were rubbing

cutelittlelion

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry, I'm still confused...

I'm eagerly awaiting my Petite Torchiere and was hoping to wear a straight plain or a channel-set band with it. The spacers I've seen look just like thin plain bands, so wouldn't they cause the same wear as a plain band? Or are they lower (of the hand)?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
cutelittlelion|1315082002|3009205 said:
I'm sorry, I'm still confused...

I'm eagerly awaiting my Petite Torchiere and was hoping to wear a straight plain or a channel-set band with it. The spacers I've seen look just like thin plain bands, so wouldn't they cause the same wear as a plain band? Or are they lower (of the hand)?
If it would cut down on any friction points, a spacer can help- especially if there's exposed diamonds rubbing their edges against another ring- but from what I remember about the Torchiere, I don't think that a spacer would help much one way or the other much.

A straight band rubbing against a straight band causes the least wear, and a spacer wouldn't do a heck of a lot but it wouldn't hurt either. ANYTHING rubbing will, over decades, cause wear even in PT. But the styles you're talking about would take a lonnnnnng time to show wear probably. If I'm remembering them right!

cutelittlelion

Rough_Rock
LGK|1315082886|3009214 said:
A straight band rubbing against a straight band causes the least wear, and a spacer wouldn't do a heck of a lot but it wouldn't hurt either. ANYTHING rubbing will, over decades, cause wear even in PT. But the styles you're talking about would take a lonnnnnng time to show wear probably. If I'm remembering them right!

Okay, cool!

That's what I thought after reading pretty much every post on PS over the last couple of months. I've ordered mine through GOG and asked about wearing a straight band with it, and they said it would work, so I was all pleased and excited, but the recent discussion confused me again.

I'm not too fond of spacers, so I was getting a bit worried there for a minute... I don't mind occasional scratches and the patina of platinum, so it should work out just fine.

Only a few more weeks of waiting...

(Edited to resolve quoting chaos)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Two metal rings rubbing against each other on a daily basis will cause wear on each other, even if the rings are both smooth. The good thing about 2 smooth rings is that the pressure is evenly distributed, and both surfaces will wear smoothly. Which one receives more wear will depend on the metals. It may take a long time for you to notice any metal loss because it will be evenly distributed.

A sharp thing (e.g. prong, decorative elements) rubbing against a smooth surface (e.g. ring shank), will cause "worse" wear because all the pressure is on sharp areas where the two surfaces touch. You can think of as a stiletto heel, which causes all the weight of your body and the impact/force from the ground to go to one small place. The question is which surface will get damaged more, and how the damage will effect the integrity of your ring. The problem with a prong getting damaged is that you can lose your stone.

Diamond against metal will cause damage to the metal because diamond is harder than platinum, gold and silver. (This assumes rubbing, not impact.)

In summary: diamond on metal > rough/sharp metal on smooth metal > smooth metal on smooth metal

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results