shape
carat
color
clarity

Wear Makeup If You Want To Get The Job...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith,
I think you look great in the morning. I have puffy eyes and some sun spots but that's natural. The puffiness will reduce itself during the workday. I love the pinkness of your skin; to me, it shows a healthy glow. We women are often too hard on ourselves.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Pink cos I'd just washed my face and rubbed it with a towel - I'm actually the typical English ghost-white! Thanks, though.

And Ame, re. your remarks earlier in the thread - I grew up in a country without any sun, which is probably why I sometimes get carded at 39! It's depressing, having no sun, but I guess it helps your skin out a little when you get to middle age.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1384882684|3559275 said:
That's sweet of you to say, Circe, but really, I think it's the cosmetics! The makeup-free one was taken 21 months ago. Here's a scary one from first thing this morning, and a made-up one from yesterday. Perhaps this pair demonstrates the difference better. I have a lot to thank my makeup bag for. Bahahaaaaaaa! :lol: ETA: I should also make clear that my hair is totally dyed - am naturally mid-brown.

Seriously, I don't mind having a good laugh at myself, and as regards that silly phrase "real men" I think the world should see more pictures of what a "real woman" looks like behind the makeup bag. Since many women do wear makeup, maybe some women go around thinking that they look worse than other women and feeling insecure, because we know what we look like without makeup, but we don't know what other women look like without it! If I were a magazine editor I'd do a massive spread on this. Or, I'd have an entire issue with absolutely no one in it wearing a scrap of makeup.

About men and women working to achieve societal expectations, I think there's great pressure on a man to be financially successful at work, and that is one area where men have to work hard for it if they want to succeed - as women do. Financial success doesn't just arrive, of course. But see the jokes made about stay-at-home dads? I'm not sure they're entirely accepted in society, not the way that stay-at-home mums are. So having to slave away to be successful - if we're going to jump up to those societal expectations - is one way in which men have to work hard to fulfil those ideals.

I'm not saying that men have it as bad as women with the ideals, just that they don't get off completely scot-free. Having said all that, it's still ridiculous the way women are expected to try to hold back time, whereas people often talk about how much better men get with age.

WOW! You look amazing!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So Put on make up today. I am a SAHM so I usually don't. But I do love to get dolled up! I had a hair appt. The blond is before, the brown is after!

ETA: I am 40.

img_2802.jpg

img_6395.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1384838598|3558978 said:
My manager actually printed out my job requirements and one of them includes "wear light makeup to accentuate your features". My friend works as an entertainer at another facility and they actually require MAC makeup specifically. Crazy huh?

Having a requirement to wear only a certain BRAND of makeup is nuts if you don't work for that brand. MAC doesn't make skin makeup pale enough for me! I have tried every single one of their lightest foundations and they all make me look dark orange (compared to my normal "invisible against a white wall white").

Smith: you still look beautiful and youthful in the picture from today!

Soxfan: LOVE the new haircut! (The old one was nice too, but the new one looks so fun and good for winter, whereas the blonde is more summery.)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Love the new hair, Soxfan! :appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even just reading the headline, I was thinking this is an article from one of those British Tabloids that posts anti-women stories.

And I was right. Just ignore these made- up articles!!!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, but the comments below the articles are for real...

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1384895897|3559420 said:
Yeah, but the comments below the articles are for real...

Just want to make clear that I mean the comments by readers on the newspaper website, not comments in this thread. I posted links to the articles and this thread is a bunch of comments below those articles, so it just occurred to me that my remark above could be misunderstood. :oops:

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1384814003|3558737 said:
The thing is, I know MANY men who say they are quite against wearing makeup, but when you look at the women they pay attention to, they are all made-up! I have never met a man who says he is against wearing makeup who has actually seemed to be more attracted to a girl without makeup than ones with it.

I found one! I've been trying to convince my SO that my wearing makeup (eyelashes, blush, concealer) on our wedding day is a GOOD IDEA. He is weirdly suspicious of eyelash extensions, no matter now many pictures I show him! And my cheeks, they won't smell right! (Creep!)

His reasoning is that everyone looks their most beautiful without a dash of paint on, so there you have it. Gotta love him!

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Chewbacca|1384913461|3559626 said:
The thing is, I know MANY men who say they are quite against wearing makeup, but when you look at the women they pay attention to, they are all made-up! I have never met a man who says he is against wearing makeup who has actually seemed to be more attracted to a girl without makeup than ones with it.

I found one! I've been trying to convince my SO that my wearing makeup (eyelashes, blush, concealer) on our wedding day is a GOOD IDEA. He is weirdly suspicious of eyelash extensions, no matter now many pictures I show him! And my cheeks, they won't smell right! (Creep!)

His reasoning is that everyone looks their most beautiful without a dash of paint on, so there you have it. Gotta love him!

they won't smell right?! That, I've never heard!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I have a love/hate relationship with makeup. I love the way I look with just a little touch-up - some foundation, concealer, a little eye definition, pale lipstick, natural blush...usually light and neutral colors. And I love the concept that you can completely transform the face with the right makeup. In that sense I certainly consider it empowering. However, I hate the time it takes to put on. Being a non-morning person who somehow ended up in a morning-intensive line of work, I skip it on a regular basis after dragging myself out of bed. In addition, I don't really like the way it feels on my face and just want to scrub it all off after a few hours. So for the most part, the only thing I wear is a BB cream, and that's a new development - used to be nothing at all. I'm very much OK with the way I look without makeup and don't feel the need to wear it regularly. I tend only to wear it on special occasions.

That said, I definitely wouldn't go to a job interview without makeup, since I want to look my best to project the most favorable image. A first date, actually, could go either way for me, depending on the venue.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
lovebug1031|1384919857|3559684 said:

they won't smell right?! That, I've never heard!

The scent of my blusher just ain't as good as my natural musk! :lol:

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the job requires the use of no skincare and makeup - then I personally view the application of modest amount of makeup as grooming. It says you care about how you look; which directly implies that you care about how you act as well; which does imply job performance. Proper skin care also implies that you care about your long term health.

I will also say that a man who properly shaves or trim their beard/mustache also implies that they care about how they look (act/job performance).

As a person who has hired and fired: Why would I hire anyone who presents themselves as not caring about themselves? Also, why would I even want to be friends with people who present themselves as not caring for themselves either? Not saying these initial "barriers" can not be overcome by other factors in certain situations. But, lets get real here - 95% of all relationships (personal and professional) are based on getting past first impressions. My wife, Princess Zhanna from the Ukraine, is totally amazed at how many American woman do not care about how they look.

I will also say, that in most cases the correct amount of makeup is so light that it is not really obvious it is there (with the possible exception of eyebrow/eyeliner - depending on the woman).

Have a great day - and please look great too,

Perry

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....based on the various responses here, does that mean some PSers do not view me as well groomed, do not care about my appearance or that I do not look good because I choose not to wear makeup? :tongue:

princesss

Ideal_Rock

BF actively tries to rub my make up off when we're together, and he pouts every time I put some on. He would apparently rather I go out into the world with my acne on display (adult acne, gotta love it). Um, no thanks, sweetie. I do tone it down a LOT now, but every now and then I go all-out, just for fun. Makes me feel pretty.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Princesss, I haven't seen you in so long! Maybe we've been on different boards? Its great to see you around-- :wavey:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smith -- love your pics! But in order to really be fair, you should have a playful and smiling look in both ;))

princesss

Ideal_Rock
IndyLady!

Haven't been around much - this last year has been completely insane, but it's good to 'see' you!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhhhhh I LOOOOOVE make-up. I envy those youtube guru's who are so good at doing it. I'm into hair and nail polish too and have an absurd collection of lip gloss/lipsticks/polishes. It's fun to me. As I get older, I wear less and less. I used to never leave my house without eyeliner on and always felt so ugly without it. For some reason my eyelids started getting oily the last 6 months (I think its my medication) and no eyelid primer was doing the trick of keeping my eyeliner on all day. It pissed me off so I decided to embrace not wearing eyeliner anymore. Good friends that know me well are always surprised that I finally gave it up. It was like my partner in crime! I'm completely comfortable without it. I just accentuate my eyelashes and that makes me feel pretty :) I just do bronzer and use a mascara called "better than sex" for going out/work.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1384812377|3558704 said:
I also think there are a lot of people who don't wear makeup out there who don't know what the heck someone looks like with makeup on. I have seen comments on reddit, etc, about how Kim Kardashian is a "natural beauty who doesn't wear much makeup" which is, like, mind-boggling to me. I have also had people be SHOCKED at my arsenal of beauty supplies because I don't look "made up." Or people who are shocked that I wear makeup because I apparently look like I don't. I think a lot of people who are anti-makeup are just anti makeup-they-don't-like, or anti badly-applied-makeup, or anti caked-on-foundation (who isn't, really), or anti bright-colors-makeup.

I totally agree with distracts on this. Makeup should enhance, not look like a mask... obvious (or obviously bad) makeup application is what I think people are against. The best makeup looks very natural and enhances feautures, making you look "your best." I think that wearing makeup shows effort and pride in one's appearance. To me, a woman who applies makeup correctly will always appear rested, "put together," confident, and polished. :))

Different situations, different type of makeup application... I'm not overly obsessive, but I really don't like to go "out" without powder, mascara (on curled eyelashes), and maybe a little eyeliner. Without it, I have "non-eyes" (lots of blonde eyelashes) LOL Gym, water activities, and hanging around the house are exempt, of course. My everyday makeup includes moisturizer with sunscreen, Bare Minerals powder foundation, a "setting" powder, eye shadow, brow filler, eyeliner, mascara (to curled lashes, of course!), and blush. It sounds like a lot, but it's subtle, and I can do it in less than 10 minutes if necessary. :praise: ...and I definitely look better with it than without it!

The comment about Kim K cracked me up!!! I used to think she'd had a little work done since becoming "famous" (which she has had fillers and minor things...), but then I realized that she'd improved her makeup application. I once saw her makeup regimine -- it's insane what strategic makeup application can do for you!! I mean, HELLO??!! Her makeup is applied so well that her facial bone structure looks totally different -- and she looks even more gorgeous because of it! :D I wonder what Kanye thought the first time he saw her sans makeup?? :shock: :o :-o :|
...if he's ever seen her without it, that is! :lol: ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1384882178|3559266 said:
lovebug1031|1384881719|3559261 said:
Because women bear children, men do not - men, whether bread by society or it being innate, gravitate towards women that look healthy and fertile so they can bear their young. Some woman look like this naturally, some women don't

Lovebug,
The question was rhetorical since the answer has been ingrained into us since young. :tongue: That should have no bearing in the workplace though. We are at work to work, not flaunt our fertility or attract males.

I always thought that employers gravitate to the younger looking women because they view them (maybe subconciously even) as more energetic (on task), well-rested (fresh), eager. The makeup may make them think they take pride in putting forth their "best self" and their work will mirror that idea. Also, the "younger" you are, it usually makes them think you can be molded to the work model that they desire -- and the more sh*t you're gonna take from them due less experience in the work force. :lol:

Just my thoughts. :))

Edited for additional content.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1384989279|3560115 said:
The best makeup looks very natural and enhances features, making you look "your best." I think that wearing makeup shows effort and pride in one's appearance. To me, a woman who applies makeup correctly will always appear rested, "put together," confident, and polished. :))

Bingo - for work and many normal everyday activities.

There is a time and place for going beyond that as part of some people's personal life - and I appreciate that done well too when appropriate. Just not for normal work... But, I suppose that depends on what kind of "work" you are in: OK, that kind of makeup is acceptable for certain jobs. ;-)

Have a great day,

Perry

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, shouldn't men also be expected to wear natural looking makeup to appear well rested, confident and polished?

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1384991127|3560132 said:
In that case, shouldn't men also be expected to wear natural looking makeup to appear well rested, confident and polished?

I'll probably end up being the odd "man" out here - but it wouldn't bother me one bit if men started wearing makeup to accentuate their features...i think tinted moisturizer is great to even things out a little!

I'm also into contouring and highlighting when I actually do my makeup, so I'm not the norm here.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1384953852|3559783 said:
Unless the job requires the use of no skincare and makeup - then I personally view the application of modest amount of makeup as grooming. It says you care about how you look; which directly implies that you care about how you act as well; which does imply job performance. Proper skin care also implies that you care about your long term health.

I will also say that a man who properly shaves or trim their beard/mustache also implies that they care about how they look (act/job performance).

As a person who has hired and fired: Why would I hire anyone who presents themselves as not caring about themselves? Also, why would I even want to be friends with people who present themselves as not caring for themselves either? Not saying these initial "barriers" can not be overcome by other factors in certain situations. But, lets get real here - 95% of all relationships (personal and professional) are based on getting past first impressions. My wife, Princess Zhanna from the Ukraine, is totally amazed at how many American woman do not care about how they look.
I will also say, that in most cases the correct amount of makeup is so light that it is not really obvious it is there (with the possible exception of eyebrow/eyeliner - depending on the woman).

Have a great day - and please look great too,

Perry

I agree with you, Perry! As far as Princess Zhanna's impression of some American women... well, I can tell you guys don't reside in the South -- proper Southen women always have their "face" on. LOL ;))

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
msop04|1384990098|3560123 said:
Chrono|1384882178|3559266 said:
lovebug1031|1384881719|3559261 said:
Because women bear children, men do not - men, whether bread by society or it being innate, gravitate towards women that look healthy and fertile so they can bear their young. Some woman look like this naturally, some women don't

Lovebug,
The question was rhetorical since the answer has been ingrained into us since young. :tongue: That should have no bearing in the workplace though. We are at work to work, not flaunt our fertility or attract males.

I always thought that employers gravitate to the younger looking women because they view them (maybe subconciously even) as more energetic (on task), well-rested (fresh), eager. The makeup may make them think they take pride in putting forth their "best self" and their work will mirror that idea. Also, the "younger" you are, it usually makes them think you can be molded to the work model that they desire -- and the more sh*t you're gonna take from them due less experience in the work force. :lol:

Just my thoughts. :))

Edited for additional content.

Chrono, I totally agree. That being said--I'll play the game as long as I need to get/keep the job I want, but it shouldn't be necessary. At my work, most of the highest-paid women do not wear make up. The support staff and secretaries tends to wear a little, and the receptionist wears the most. Some make up wouldn't work against me; but anything other than neutrals would.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I need makeup. I wear tons whenever I leave the house.

Makeup? Bring it.

Fake lashes, concealer, blush, contour blush, highlight blush, lip liner, lip stick, lip gloss, eye liner, eyeshadow, all that.

Why? Because I don't like the way I look without it. I look like a giant thumb, pale and featureless.

Nails? Please, God, no. I can't stand to do my nails, though they are usually pretty long. I file them when I think of it, dig the dirt out from under when I'm gardening, but I can't stand to paint them. Seems like a colossal waste of time, it all chips within a few days, why bother? And if it stays on, I get bored with the color within two days. This is why I don't have a tattoo; couple of days of looking at it and I'd be climbing the walls.

Do I look more businesslike? I don't know. I know I feel more businesslike. It's hard to feel business-y when I'm a thumb.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovebug1031|1384991892|3560136 said:
Chrono|1384991127|3560132 said:

I'll probably end up being the odd "man" out here - but it wouldn't bother me one bit if men started wearing makeup to accentuate their features...i think tinted moisturizer is great to even things out a little!

I'm also into contouring and highlighting when I actually do my makeup, so I'm not the norm here.

I wouldn't be against it either... Tinted moisturizer is pretty commonplace in larger cities where guys tend to be more metrosexual. :))

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I love makeup and seldom go out without it. I use foundation, eyeliner, blush, mascara and lip color. I rarely wear eye shadow, it tends to irritate my eyes. Takes me around 15 minutes to apply daily. Well worth the effort, I look washed out without it and my eyelashes disappear. I do aim for a very natural look and feel I've achieved it.

I also paint my nails and toenails regularly and get my hair colored every four weeks. I have always done so and at 49 yrs old have no desire to go au' natural!
My mom was always in full makeup, still is at 74 yrs old, and that's how I perceive femininity I think.
I do have friends who are in the no makeup camp and totally respect that. But I do admit I would love to put some makeup on them just to see how different they would look.
I just feel wearing it is a necessity for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results