shape
carat
color
clarity

Watermelon Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, another gorgeous "hall of mirrors" stone with awesome color. I love it!!![love:]

I love the idea of yellow side stones and yellow gold to highlight the touch of yellow in that stone.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Any Aussies out there??? Any body know approximately how long it will take to get to me here in Australia?
Its being posted by usps?

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey lass, I''m in Victoria, and the stone I purchased from Dan Stair too five days to get here, it may be quicker for you because there was a public holiday tacked in there too. Great looking stone!!!!!
30.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
OK cool!! thank you for that! I am in Sydney. What stone did you buy from Dan??? Did you get it set?

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I'm in Sydney. Took around 3 working days. =)

ETA: It seems like Aussie pub hols don't count as non-working days. Mine arrived on Labour Day morning!
36.gif

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 10:38:13 PM
Author: lasscreative
Sorry! DO tell me stop with all the photoshop craziness if it is too much!

I think this is what I am leaning too? What do you guys think?

I decided to fix it up to give you a better visual aid as to what I was explaining!

dreamring_04.jpg

Alright this last one did it for me! Go for it!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

BTW, good job on the yellow PT950! I didn't notice til I saw the hallmark stamp.
2.gif

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
I got rid of that now! It will be 18k yellow gold!

I can''t wait to get it and have a nice photo shoot with it!

Any other setting suggestions. I hope my jeweler will be able to track down 4 marquise side stones, if not I think Ill go for the tapered baguettes!

dreamring_06.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Finding 4 matching marquise yellow sapphires shouldn''t be a problem, so forget about an illusion. But I am a bit conserned about your ideas. Although both are lovely, they both leave a great deal of stone''s girdle exposed to accidental side blows. Maybe if you could have something like THIS kind of a split shank? It would protect the stone a lot more, and you could still have the sides (maybe not four of them, but two definately).

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 4:44:11 AM
Author: ma re
Finding 4 matching marquise yellow sapphires shouldn't be a problem, so forget about an illusion. But I am a bit conserned about your ideas. Although both are lovely, they both leave a great deal of stone's girdle exposed to accidental side blows. Maybe if you could have something like THIS kind of a split shank? It would protect the stone a lot more, and you could still have the sides (maybe not four of them, but two definately).

I saw your picture in the link (Leon Mege has set a stone similar, but I can't seem to find it on his site) Although I like that setting, I am saving that idea for a cute, smaller stone to be set east - west.

Would these idea's work (and appreciate the realist and secure approach you are having!)
I want a strong, sturdy basket to hold the stone in:

A

tiff_greenquartz.png

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
B
well maybe not that thick - but you get the point. Would that be enough protection? Have it prong set with double claws on each corner in a strong basket? The double claws to hug and hide the corners.

lm_02.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think a standard six prong setting might be even better, and would be easy to find in various styles as well (so maybe you don''t even have to go custom). But make sure that two "extra tips" sit above the shank, like pointing to the side stones (not pointing to north and south). How I didn''t think of that earlier
20.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A small correction; standard six prong wouldn''t work cause spaces between all the prongs would be equal. But a jeweller could make you one that is slightly elongated in the north-soutn direction, so that there''s room for extra tips on the sides. Now, if you''d opt for that, I don''t think you''d still be able to go with tapered baguettes - 4 marquises yes, two pears or even trillions yes, but that''s probably it when it comes to choosing sidestones.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2008 11:21:31 PM
OK cool!! thank you for that! I am in Sydney. What stone did you buy from Dan??? Did you get it set?
I bought a 1.58ct pink Tourmaline and had it set into a two tone setting. I''ll try and get some piccies up soon!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2008 8:28:47 AM
Author: DandiAndi
Date: 10/28/2008 11:21:31 PM

I bought a 1.58ct pink Tourmaline and had it set into a two tone setting. I''ll try and get some piccies up soon!
Ohhhhh!!! I''d love to see a picture!!!!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 4:25:07 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Wow what a great color - I love it! I was wondering what the finished stone''s color was going to be when he posted that rough - it''s really gorgeous! I like Ma re''s idea of the split shank semi-bezel - it''d be a gorgeous look and the security is a nice factor.

If you go with the sidestones, again, I''m with Ma re on the yellow sapphires - although, if you go with yellow sidestones, I think white gold would work as well as yellow because of the contrast - I worry that it might be too yellow with the yellow stones and the yellow metal.

I seriously cannot wait to see what you decide to do with it - it''s stunning

Hmmmm! I was talking to my friend and showing her the picture of the stone and she said NO way to yellow gold. She said I would be crazy to set it with yellow gold. I though white gold would wash the stone out, however we were just in Tiffany and Co. looking at the legacies with coloured stones and they made them pop!
So what do you guys think? White Gold or Yellow Gold? Sorry, I am just trying to figure out what I want to do with it before I run off to my jewelers as soon as I get it and I don''t want to make the wrong choice!

I just checked the tracking and it has left the US from San Francisco!!!! Hurrrryyyy up already! LOL

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2008 6:09:56 PM

Hmmmm! I was talking to my friend and showing her the picture of the stone and she said NO way to yellow gold. She said I would be crazy to set it with yellow gold. I though white gold would wash the stone out, however we were just in Tiffany and Co. looking at the legacies with coloured stones and they made them pop!
So what do you guys think? White Gold or Yellow Gold? Sorry, I am just trying to figure out what I want to do with it before I run off to my jewelers as soon as I get it and I don''t want to make the wrong choice!

I just checked the tracking and it has left the US from San Francisco!!!! Hurrrryyyy up already! LOL
I think it''s best to wait with this decision until you see the stone in person. My yellow gold suggestion was based on one photo, in which there was quite a lot of pink and not much yellow so I thought that would accentuate the bicolor effect, but I could be wrong. It might actually make pink more orange i.e. closer to yellow, so it''s probably best to go with white. But again, wait for the stone, observe from many directions and under various lights (indoor, outdoor, direct, diffused...) and you''ll see what would work best. Stone might look quite diferent in person from what it looks on the photo.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Arghhhh!!! I just checked the tracking and it is currently in Australia''s customs!!!!!!!!
Pity it is the weekend! Photo shoot pending with my naked stone!! lol

It will be Monday after work, so it will be a bit dark! But we will see!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results