shape
carat
color
clarity

Watermelon Tourmaline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Yes it was me!! I bought it!!!!
This stone took my breath away and it''s my first gemstone purchase! (it was all your influence on me)
Stats:
Watermelon pink/green bi-color stone from Nigeria
7.54mm
2.36ct
Octagon asscher.

What do you guys think??

and Now..... Settings!!!!!! I believe it will be a ring. Dan said it could be set in an 8mm 4 prong round setting.
And I am thinking yellow gold! might be partial to some pear or trill side stones in either yellow sapphires or citrine! (or idealy, but unrealistic, intense yellow diamonds)

236OctPnkTrm.jpg

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh that''s stone''s amazing!!
36.gif
36.gif
I saw it go up on Dan''s site and thought it would be snapped up! Can''t wait to see photos - And what you end up doing with it!

I''d definitely want it to be a ring too - so I could stare at it all day!
30.gif
30.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A standard four prong setting might work, but I''d think twice about such a ring idea. Don''t know if you followed the thread about a "snowflake stone" (hexagon shaped...believe it was topaz), which the owner was keen on setting in a prong setting of a ring. But after a long discussion here she realised she''ll either have to opt for another design or have it prong set in a pendant. Reason - too many tips and corners to chip.

Now, you could do the same (have it in a pendant) or maybe think of some other design and probably have a setting custom made. I believe it could be done so that the stone is recessed below the metal''s surface, so that the stone''s table and surface of metal are parallel.

Or you can order something like a split shank partial bazel (I thought of that just now), a design where shank would split but wouldn''t end in four standard prongs, but rather four bars, each of which would cover one of the 8 sides from corner to corner. A complete bazel or a flush setting would also look lovely, and would be the best options in terms of security of the stone. Those are just some of the options.

I think yellow gold is a great idea, white could also work, but not rose cause it would diminish the bicolor effect. When it comes to side stones I wouldn''t choose citrines. They''re either too intensly colored or too dark (too brown), and that wouldn''t do a favour to tourmaline, which should be (and yours is) a mixture of light colors. Yellow sapphires are a much safer choice. There are other stones that also might work color-wise (topaz, beryl, zircon), but they''d probabyl be hard to find in small, calibrated sizes. As to the shape of side stones, I''d go with pears, cause trillions tend to be very scintillating and brilliant and might steal too much attention from the center stone. I''d set them flush in the metal for the same reason. Tapered baguettes could also work, if you''d like a completely geometric design.

Hope this helps.

P. S. The stone is great
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Wow what a great color - I love it! I was wondering what the finished stone''s color was going to be when he posted that rough - it''s really gorgeous! I like Ma re''s idea of the split shank semi-bezel - it''d be a gorgeous look and the security is a nice factor.

If you go with the sidestones, again, I''m with Ma re on the yellow sapphires - although, if you go with yellow sidestones, I think white gold would work as well as yellow because of the contrast - I worry that it might be too yellow with the yellow stones and the yellow metal.

I seriously cannot wait to see what you decide to do with it - it''s stunning

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
^^^^ You raise some good points that I hadn''t quite thought of yet. I am most probably going to go custom for this to make sure everything is secure!! I really dislike bezels so that is out, but I would probably add more prongs to hold it and protect it. I am thinking of a deep split shank in yellow gold with melee.

OR

Yellow gold with yellow sapphire side stones... choices are trillions, pears or tapered baguettes (bullets???) with 8 prong head?

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Where would I go to source yellow sapphire side stones (pairs) for this?
Do you think side stones would look weird with this style of cut?

Any other suggestions?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 5:31:15 AM
Author: lasscreative
Where would I go to source yellow sapphire side stones (pairs) for this?
Do you think side stones would look weird with this style of cut?

Any other suggestions?
When I suggested a recessed prong setting (in case you didn''t understand my idea), I was thinking of making a groove in the metal in which the stone would be prong set. That way it would be protected but prong set, so a lot of light could still enter it (and some would also get reflected off of the metal groove so enter the stone from the back).

Going with the split shank idea would minimize the space for any other design elements, so I''m not sure you could have side stones in such a ring (especially with splits being wider so that they form these bars I came up with).

If you''re going the "groove route", it''s also possible to have it in recessed bar setting, with bars either supporting top and bottom, or the sides of the stone.

Mixing sides with this shape could be tricky and that''s why I suggested tapered baguettes, so that the shapes match more easily. I''d set them so that thay narrow towards the back of the ring of course, but pay attention to their size so that the overall design looks balanced (4x2 mm sounds like a good size for this center stone).

I''d either do some of those ideas or just go with melee instead of sides. It could be much easier.

Can''t advise you about where to get the sides, cause I''ve never made an online purchase.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
That is a cool stone!
36.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lasscreative,

You are in grave danger!

You are in possession of a rare Yellow Fever Tourmaline. Place this gem immediately in lead lined photographic bag and send it to me Fedex overnight so that it may be disposed of in the approved manner.

Simply viewing this gemstone is a danger to you and all succeeding generations. All members of this forum are warned to seek immediate Yellow fever inoculation! Your grandchildren will thank you.

THIS WARNING BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

mochi

Ideal_Rock
OMG!!! I just saw this last night and I knew someone would snatch it up very quickly....GOOD FOR YOU! It''s beautiful!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks gorgeous. I should pay attention more often to Dan''s website! What about simple baguette sidestones. ??

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
It''s beautiful! I was drooling over it on his website. Yes, definitely yellow gold for this colour!
36.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is a beautiful stone, I LOVE the cut and the color. I can''t wait to see how you will set it.

Linda

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Love love love it!!!

May I ask were you bought it from??? :)

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 12:48:32 PM
Author: stepcutnut
Love love love it!!!

It''s from Dan Stair (customgemstones.com).

How about a halo?
30.gif

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 9:55:12 AM
Author: Richard W. Wise
Lasscreative,

You are in grave danger!

You are in possession of a rare Yellow Fever Tourmaline. Place this gem immediately in lead lined photographic bag and send it to me Fedex overnight so that it may be disposed of in the approved manner.

Simply viewing this gemstone is a danger to you and all succeeding generations. All members of this forum are warned to seek immediate Yellow fever inoculation! Your grandchildren will thank you.

THIS WARNING BROUGHT TO YOU BY:

LOL! Richard, this reminds me of those spam emails from Nigeria asking you to collaborate in inheriting the money of some rich old man who just died!
9.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
BEAUTIFUL!!! What a great stone!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 12:59:35 PM
Author: gladyskristen

Love love love it!!!

How about a halo?
30.gif
I agree it could look nice and it wouldn''t be hard to do, plus halo would protect the stone to an extent. But lasscreative said no bazel, so I''m not sure about the halo...

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
WOW that''s a gorgeous stone. I think yg will be beautiful - I''m thinking yellow sapphire traps would be STUNNING!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif
Lucky girl!!!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 3:11:06 AM
Author:lasscreative
Yes it was me!! I bought it!!!!
This stone took my breath away and it's my first gemstone purchase! (it was all your influence on me)
Stats:
Watermelon pink/green bi-color stone from Nigeria
7.54mm
2.36ct
Octagon asscher.

What do you guys think??

and Now..... Settings!!!!!! I believe it will be a ring. Dan said it could be set in an 8mm 4 prong round setting.
And I am thinking yellow gold! might be partial to some pear or trill side stones in either yellow sapphires or citrine! (or idealy, but unrealistic, intense yellow diamonds)
Gorgeous! I check Dan's site often, but apparently not often enough.
20.gif

I wouldn't give up on yellow diamonds yet, if you are open to getting irradiated ones. It will save big bucks, they sparkle like diamonds because they are diamonds, and only you will know the difference. But, yellow sapphire would be beautiful as well.

Looking forward to this project, and seeing more pictures of that beauty.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
So something like this (yes I pinched it off Leon''s website... shhhhhh)
This would be my beautiful stone with yellow sapphires tapered baguette side stones.

How do we feel about that?

dreamring_02.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 8:29:17 PM
This would be my beautiful stone with yellow sapphires tapered baguette side stones.

*WE* feel wonderful about that!

LS (a.k.a. "the enabler")
31.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 8:29:17 PM

Love, love, love it!
3.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my stars! That stone is drop dead gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such a cool stone!

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Orrrr this?????

Would it be hard for my jeweler to track down 4 little marquise sapphires? If it is proving to be quite difficult I think I might do the marquise shape but but 2 little round brilliant yellow stones in there and make it look like and illusion. Or would that be dumb?

Also, not loving the melee down the side. I won''t have that. I think Just one small round brilliant there at the end where they meet and that''s it.

Also, Prongs??? Would double claw prongs on all corners be to much?

Thank you all for your kind comments!!!

dreamring_03.jpg

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/28/2008 1:27:51 PM
Author: ma re
Date: 10/28/2008 12:59:35 PM

Author: gladyskristen

Love love love it!!!

How about a halo?
30.gif

I agree it could look nice and it wouldn''t be hard to do, plus halo would protect the stone to an extent. But lasscreative said no bazel, so I''m not sure about the halo...

My ering is a halo! (However I have not received it as yet.... My boyfriend is one of those guys that takes hostage of the ring. It was completed in July this year and I think it will FINALLY grace my finger in December... Why do they do this??) Yeh so I LOVEEEEE halo''s but one is on the way for me. And yes I know you can have more then one, but seeing as I have kinda stolen my boyfriends thunder by getting this b4 the one he wants to give me and then getting the same style... I think he would ban me from more gem purchases in the future.

But in my defence - it is his fault that I need to get this so it takes my mind of the one that is SOMEWHERE!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
AWESOME!!
36.gif

I'd do a solitaire.

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Sorry! DO tell me stop with all the photoshop craziness if it is too much!
I think this is what I am leaning too? What do you guys think?
I decided to fix it up to give you a better visual aid as to what I was explaining!

dreamring_04.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results