shape
carat
color
clarity

Watermelon tourmaline...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just... wow. She's huge. I have never, ever seen such a richly saturated, deeply toned watermelon tourmaline. Like, ever. I'm not surprised to hear it's also heavily included. That sort of speaks to my "theory" (not that it's rocket science) that as the color deepens with the addition of more trace elements, the internal characteristics also increase. It's beautiful though! Do you think it'd be safe to set in a pendant? Such a great size for it!!

Thanks, but like Gene pointed out, it has a fracture where the colors meet. I just keep it as a specimen. I also have a one carat bicolor stone, cleaner, but very small.

IMG_1790.jpeg

Thanks, but like Gene pointed out, it has a fracture where the colors meet. I just keep it as a specimen. I also have a one carat bicolor stone, cleaner, but very small.

IMG_1790.jpeg

I like the coloration on this little guy too.
thmbupemot.gif

Been meaning to ask... what do they call the cut on the majority of the stones we've shared here? Is it referred to as a variation of the emerald step cut or simply by its shape - rectangular octagon? Because they're definitely not the same cuts. The two stones below aren't the best examples, since both stones are poorly cut.

What I would consider a typical emerald step cut (this looks synthetic, but I digress):

Captureuht7.JPG

And now the parallel step faceting of a bulbous pavilion/keel that's put on many of these tourmalines (the window is hard to look at, I know):

Captureuhhg.JPG

Reactions: T L

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
This is fabulous, @Crimson!! I mean, it's pretty perfect. How big is this guy?
I should have shared more yesterday - it was close to bedtime :sleep: and I had had another exciting day jewellery shopping with friends :kiss2:
Here are the specs from Antony Zagoritis:.
  • Gem Weight: 5.58 Carat
  • Gem Shape: Emerald Cut
  • Cutting Style: Step Cut
  • info-ble.png
    GIA Color Grade: Bicolor (Strong Bicolor)
  • info-ble.png
    GIA Clarity Grade: VS
  • info-ble.png
    Clarity Survey: Eyeclean face up. Some veils noticeable at 10 x magnification
  • info-ble.png
    Treatments: No Treatment
  • info-ble.png
    Gem Dimensions: 10.92 x 8.23 x 6.21 mm
Here is a side view. IMG_3012.jpeg

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
This was such an interesting post! And your gem is so unique!! I love the distinct transition into all 3 colors... and it's really clean. It's just stunning. Kudos.

Yes, they did a great job. There is an eye visible veil at the blue-green meeting section, you can see it in the last photo. That photo also shows how poor the red holds up in yellow light. I suspect a super fine watermelon would do better.
My stone also has multiple tiny indented naturals under a loupe, which is my favorite inclusion.
I realize now my photos make it look super windowed. It has a window that is thin, definitely thinner than the one in the ring you posted above (which isn't even that 'hard to look at' for me personally!). The cutters unexpectedly had to get rid of a bit more depth than expected due to inclusions, and I gave them the go ahead.

In addition to potential for better red, most watermelon tourmalines are quite chunky and not pencil thin and long like the tri colors I saw. I prefer that. This thread is making me want a watermelon tourmaline too. You have invited strong competition (kidding).

On the topic of cuts... I'm quite clueless about the details. But I have a relevant comparison photo regarding the extreme differences in step cut pavilions. Sorry if this is too off topic.

Approx 0.3ct shallow red beryl (promise its not a red blob face up), 0.66ct deep/fat Torrington banded beryl/'emerald', and the 3ct tourmaline, which is a little shallower than ideal.

The red beryl is windowed when held up in tweezers/no backing, but in between fingers/in a gem jar it closes up. Face up, the 0.3ct red beryl looks about the same size as the Torrington, and the 0.66ct Torrington is cut deeper than the 3ct tourmaline! Though density and ideal angles are different across beryl and tourmaline, so its an imperfect comparison.

Last edited:
I should have shared more yesterday - it was close to bedtime :sleep: and I had had another exciting day jewellery shopping with friends :kiss2:
Here are the specs from Antony Zagoritis:.
  • Gem Weight: 5.58 Carat
  • Gem Shape: Emerald Cut
  • Cutting Style: Step Cut
  • info-ble.png
    GIA Color Grade: Bicolor (Strong Bicolor)
  • info-ble.png
    GIA Clarity Grade: VS
  • info-ble.png
    Clarity Survey: Eyeclean face up. Some veils noticeable at 10 x magnification
  • info-ble.png
    Treatments: No Treatment
  • info-ble.png
    Gem Dimensions: 10.92 x 8.23 x 6.21 mm
Here is a side view. IMG_3012.jpeg

I would expect no less from Antony... they hand-pick every stone and I think he has a very discerning eye. I love this crystal. Well done! I feel like you need to go bigger than usual with these guys or you really don't get the full effect of the different colors, and they look muddy at arm's length.

Yes, they did a great job. There is an eye visible veil at the blue-green meeting section, you can see it in the last photo. That photo also shows how poor the red holds up in yellow light. I suspect a super fine watermelon would do better.
My stone also has multiple tiny indented naturals under a loupe, which is my favorite inclusion.
I realize now my photos make it look super windowed. It has a window that is thin, definitely thinner than the one in the ring you posted above (which isn't even that 'hard to look at' for me personally!). The cutters unexpectedly had to get rid of a bit more depth than expected due to inclusions, and I gave them the go ahead.

In addition to potential for better red, most watermelon tourmalines are quite chunky and not pencil thin and long like the tri colors I saw. I prefer that. This thread is making me want a watermelon tourmaline too. You have invited strong competition (kidding).

On the topic of cuts... I'm quite clueless about the details. But I have a relevant comparison photo regarding the extreme differences in step cut pavilions. Sorry if this is too off topic.

Approx 0.3ct shallow red beryl (promise its not a red blob face up), 0.66ct deep/fat Torrington banded beryl/'emerald', and the 3ct tourmaline, which is a little shallower than ideal.

The red beryl is windowed when held up in tweezers/no backing, but in between fingers/in a gem jar it closes up. Face up, the 0.3ct red beryl looks about the same size as the Torrington, and the 0.66ct Torrington is cut deeper than the 3ct tourmaline! Though density and ideal angles are different across beryl and tourmaline, so its an imperfect comparison.

That bixbite is incredible!! I sort of lost all concentration when I saw it. But the tri-color, again, looks fabulous. And you made a good point about cuts... I suppose they all vary from stone-to-stone and lapidary-to-lapidary. It's not an exact science like a round brilliant diamond.
thmbupemot.gif

KLC

Shiny_Rock
Here is an example of a pastel version... I wouldn't call these watermelon tourmalines though... I think bi-color is more appropriate. But it's pretty darn clean for this material.

And here's a watermelon tourmaline that's weaker in saturation than the one in my OP. And it still has that brownish-red tinge that I dislike. Super clean though.

Now THIS is the color I'm after... it's a dull video but the stone is still so saturated. Along with the vivid color though, you have the inclusions. And these are still considered pretty minor for this coloration. Some of them are downright opaque.

Oh and here's an example of a terrible fake I'm seeing everywhere. :roll2:

I like that second one a lot. But I see what you're saying about the color

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I would expect no less from Antony... they hand-pick every stone and I think he has a very discerning eye. I love this crystal. Well done! I feel like you need to go bigger than usual with these guys or you really don't get the full effect of the different colors, and they look muddy at arm's length.
Yes, I wish this were bigger but I leapt at it because of the balance and intensity of colour. I showed it to the gemologist at one of my regular jewellers. He was impressed and said they didn’t have anything as nice as this.

@Crimson

P.S. I want to see your haul from this successful shopping adventure! :appl:
Haha! For once, I bought nothing. Some photos for fun! IMG_3006.jpeg IMG_1124.jpeg IMG_1138.jpeg IMG_1127.jpeg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the coloration on this little guy too.
thmbupemot.gif

Been meaning to ask... what do they call the cut on the majority of the stones we've shared here? Is it referred to as a variation of the emerald step cut or simply by its shape - rectangular octagon? Because they're definitely not the same cuts. The two stones below aren't the best examples, since both stones are poorly cut.

What I would consider a typical emerald step cut (this looks synthetic, but I digress):

Captureuht7.JPG

And now the parallel step faceting of a bulbous pavilion/keel that's put on many of these tourmalines (the window is hard to look at, I know):

Captureuhhg.JPG

I’m pretty sure the first stone is a simulant. I believe I’ve seen that photo marketed as a simulant.

I would say 99% of bicolor tourmaline is cut like the second stone

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
My youngest daughter is obsessed with watermelon tourmaline and desperately wanted one when we were in Sri Lanka. But they are not cheap! And she is very particular in her demands. I’ve been searching for something which matches her exacting standards (quite like what you’re looking for actually!) for ages. But everything in a teenage-ish birthday present price range is “not good enough”.

This is nice https://mm-fine.com/products/4-0ct-awesome-tri-color-brazilian-water-mellon-tourmaline

Yes, I wish this were bigger but I leapt at it because of the balance and intensity of colour. I showed it to the gemologist at one of my regular jewellers. He was impressed and said they didn’t have anything as nice as this.

Haha! For once, I bought nothing. Some photos for fun! IMG_3006.jpeg IMG_1124.jpeg IMG_1138.jpeg IMG_1127.jpeg

No it's a good size! With the more valuable gems, I usually just aim above 2 ct. to stay on budget. But with this guy, since they're not outrageously $$$ in the larger sizes, I wanted to go larger than my usual. Enjoy it! I can't wait to see how you set that beauty. :dance:

Oh good lawd... there's the emerald! I feel like we named her, but can't recall it. lol And those ultra fine jade, turquoise, and moonstone pieces. Be still my heart!! Remind me about the pink ring, please. :love:

My youngest daughter is obsessed with watermelon tourmaline and desperately wanted one when we were in Sri Lanka. But they are not cheap! And she is very particular in her demands. I’ve been searching for something which matches her exacting standards (quite like what you’re looking for actually!) for ages. But everything in a teenage-ish birthday present price range is “not good enough”.

This is nice https://mm-fine.com/products/4-0ct-awesome-tri-color-brazilian-water-mellon-tourmaline

Oh that's lovely... nice coloration/size and super clean. Your daughter is verrrry lucky to have you shopping for her. :D

So I ended up buying that 14.13ct. one... here she be. Dimensions are approximately 16x12x8mm. Remarkably, the inclusions are less prominent in person. That never, ever happens. They're certainly present, but they blend into the stone nicely. None of them becomes more apparent under any lighting, even direct sun. That was going to make or break the piece for me. The color is better in person, again, surprisingly (also never happens). And there's no window whatsoever, which was difficult to find in this particular cut. I know I overpaid (we agreed on $7,000, as opposed to the $9,375 list price). Ah well!

thumbnail_20240312_174636 (1).jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I ended up buying that 14.13ct. one... here she be. Dimensions are approximately 16x12x8mm. Remarkably, the inclusions are less prominent in person. That never, ever happens. They're certainly present, but they blend into the stone nicely. None of them becomes more apparent under any lighting, even direct sun. That was going to make or break the piece for me. The color is better in person, again, surprisingly (also never happens). And there's no window whatsoever, which was difficult to find in this particular cut. I know I overpaid (we agreed on $7,000, as opposed to the $9,375 list price). Ah well!

Love love love!!!!!!! Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

Love love love!!!!!!! Absolutely beautiful!!!!!

Thank you! :) I saw one or two other stones (in the same size-range) with similar coloration (maybe not quite as vivid) for way less $. But the pink and green was not 50/50 and that messes with my OCD. lol So I guess it's one of those situations where you overpay for a stone you feel sort of speaks to you. That's the story I'm going with anyway!
Idunno1.gif

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

you need a thread of your own for those !!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i really love this one too
i wish my colour was more true on the lap top but i love it, i actually think the inclusions make it more interesting

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! :) I saw one or two other stones (in the same size-range) with similar coloration (maybe not quite as vivid) for way less $. But the pink and green was not 50/50 and that messes with my OCD. lol So I guess it's one of those situations where you overpay for a stone you feel sort of speaks to you. That's the story I'm going with anyway!
Idunno1.gif

Enjoy it, it’s gorgeous!

I think overpaying is only bad if you get conned and have no idea you’re paying exorbitant sums for something. But I reckon a rational decision to pay because you must have a particular thing or don’t want to expend energy to save money is perfectly valid!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Oh good lawd... there's the emerald! I feel like we named her, but can't recall it. lol And those ultra fine jade, turquoise, and moonstone pieces. Be still my heart!! Remind me about the pink ring, please. :love:
Her name is Minerva. I’ve attached a photo of Minerva and her owl. The jadeite was huge but still didn’t meet my finicky standards. IMG_1082.jpeg

The pink ring is my new Mahenge spinel!. It looks red sometimes and neon pink ant other times.

IMG_2900.jpeg
Idunno1.gif
So glad you found exactly what you wanted. A big juicy watermelon with lovely crystal and delicious color. :kiss2: I too wanted 50-50, with as little white/clear as possible. So I understand! The stone was a bit pricey but it fit my specs exactly. :lickout:

Her name is Minerva. I’ve attached a photo of Minerva and her owl. The jadeite was huge but still didn’t meet my finicky standards. IMG_1082.jpeg

The pink ring is my new Mahenge spinel!. It looks red sometimes and neon pink ant other times.

IMG_2900.jpeg

So glad you found exactly what you wanted. A big juicy watermelon with lovely crystal and delicious color. :kiss2: I too wanted 50-50, with as little white/clear as possible. So I understand! The stone was a bit pricey but it fit my specs exactly. :lickout:

I don't know if I missed its unveiling during my time away, but yeah, I'm going to need all of the deets on your new Mahenge stat!!
wowzer.gif

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Oh my gosh, that is so beautiful and saturated. Will this be a summer theme?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results