shape
carat
color
clarity

Watermelon tourmaline...

How do we feel about this material? I don't think I've seen much mention about it here. I promised myself I would concentrate on setting my current gems only, and not buy another. But I've found myself shopping them in earnest lately. Here's what I've come to learn from the experience... generally speaking, if you want top color/saturation, you have to accept the inclusions that come along with it. It seems to be a direct correlation, just as it often is with emerald (only worse). I am always after eye clean or better, but I just cannot find it in the fine coloration (except for $60,000 stones, and they're not in the budget). And even those stones had more of the brownish-red and weak green tones, and not the vivid pink-red and green (that true watermelon look). They're a "type III" clarity gem, and it seems I either have to get used to the idea of eye visible inclusions or pass, because I don't want the pastel tones (as pretty as they are). Many of them are super clean though, which I'll admit is tempting!

P.S. I also need the color split to be as close to 50/50 as possible and I want a better than decent cut... it's proving difficult.

P.P.S. Here's the $60k one... it's gorgeous, to be sure, but you know that red end is going to brown-out something fierce in daylight, especially the way the video is clearly calibrated towards the red spectrum. But I still wouldn't "kick it out of bed," as my friend used to say. :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How do we feel about this material? I don't think I've seen much mention about it here. I promised myself I would concentrate on setting my current gems only, and not buy another. But I've found myself shopping them in earnest lately. Here's what I've come to learn from the experience... generally speaking, if you want top color/saturation, you have to accept the inclusions that come along with it. It seems to be a direct correlation, just as it often is with emerald (only worse). I am always after eye clean or better, but I just cannot find it in the fine coloration (except for $60,000 stones, and they're not in the budget). And even those stones had more of the brownish-red and weak green tones, and not the vivid pink-red and green (that true watermelon look). They're a "type III" clarity gem, and it seems I either have to get used to the idea of eye visible inclusions or pass, because I don't want the pastel tones (as pretty as they are). Many of them are super clean though, which I'll admit is tempting!

P.S. I also need the color split to be as close to 50/50 as possible and I want a better than decent cut... it's proving difficult.

P.P.S. Here's the $60k one... it's gorgeous, to be sure, but you know that red end is going to brown-out something fierce in daylight, especially the way the video is clearly calibrated towards the red spectrum. But I still wouldn't "kick it out of bed," as my friend used to say. :lol:
excitting !!!

i need to see some with inclusions
i did think it looked a bit brown but i thought it was my screen

edited to add and id like to see the pastels too

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Usually red or pink tourmaline gets its best color in daylight, and gets muddy in incandescent light. What is interesting about the stone in the video is how would a jeweler mount it? Normally an emerald cut the prongs are on the cut corners or ends, but this stone has no girdle on the short end or cut corners. I'm guessing they did this because of a very dark or closed C axis, but it would drive a jeweler crazy trying to mount it.

Here is an example of a pastel version... I wouldn't call these watermelon tourmalines though... I think bi-color is more appropriate. But it's pretty darn clean for this material.

And here's a watermelon tourmaline that's weaker in saturation than the one in my OP. And it still has that brownish-red tinge that I dislike. Super clean though.

Now THIS is the color I'm after... it's a dull video but the stone is still so saturated. Along with the vivid color though, you have the inclusions. And these are still considered pretty minor for this coloration. Some of them are downright opaque.

Oh and here's an example of a terrible fake I'm seeing everywhere. :roll2:

Usually red or pink tourmaline gets its best color in daylight, and gets muddy in incandescent light. What is interesting about the stone in the video is how would a jeweler mount it? Normally an emerald cut the prongs are on the cut corners or ends, but this stone has no girdle on the short end or cut corners. I'm guessing they did this because of a very dark or closed C axis, but it would drive a jeweler crazy trying to mount it.

That's a really interesting perspective!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
co
When it's just right, it's my favorite summer food period! I had this manicure last year. lol

watermelon-nails-02.jpg

they are so pretty :kiss2:
completly off topic but in the summer i make watermellon salad with cubed watermellon, spinach, lamb and capsicums (bell pepper) plus lots of fresh finally chopped mint, i dress it with mint sauce but you could use any clear dressing like a Thai salad dressing, its ment to have feta but we hate feta so we use parmasan

somewhere i have this cool rock (brought from scratch patch in Cape Town) it looks like a slice of watermellon, -its in a box in the garage somewhere ????

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is an example of a pastel version... I wouldn't call these watermelon tourmalines though... I think bi-color is more appropriate. But it's pretty darn clean for this material.

And here's a watermelon tourmaline that's weaker in saturation than the one in my OP. And it still has that brownish-red tinge that I dislike. Super clean though.

Now THIS is the color I'm after... it's a dull video but the stone is still so saturated. Along with the vivid color though, you have the inclusions. And these are still considered pretty minor for this coloration. Some of them are downright opaque.

Oh and here's an example of a terrible fake I'm seeing everywhere. :roll2:

well i love them all but the pastel is very very pretty ..but ive never seen a pastel watermellon -
i dont mind the inclusions, they remind me of the seeds of the mellon

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
There just aren't that many in existence that are clean like that in such large sizes. I imagine when they rarely find them in that quality in Maine it's immediately whisked into private collection. I think the only way you'd find any that clean would be to have a buyer tour gem shows to procure or something like that. There's one out there tucked away somewhere.

And for me, if I'm paying 60k, I want less brown!

ShinyPleeease

Rough_Rock
I think watermelon tourmalines are super cool! I actually just received one today (my first!) - a relatively small one with pastel colors. I would love to have a slice with nice saturation in the future. I’m totally following this to see what you end up with! :) IMG_6869.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6871.jpeg
    IMG_6871.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 3

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a 25 carat one that is saturated, but super included. It’s in my bank vault so I don’t have any photos, sorry :(

For some reason, the prices on this material is going through the roof, and like you say, most are pastel, or brownish in the red end, like the one you posted.

I prefer the Afghan pastel stones to ones that are deeper in color, but too brown on the red end or too olive/yellow on the green end.

In any case, I’ll try to look for a photo of my tourmaline. I bought it decades ago, but it’s too included for a piece of jewelry. I’m afraid it will crack.

ETA; found an old rubbish photo of my tourmaline. It’s more saturated IRL. IMG_1772.jpeg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them, however, I am not going to get one as the ones I liked were very expensive as pendants.

In addition, I am restricted with what I could wear clothes wise, as in monochrome only in order to avoid clashing of colours.

DK :))

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Am I the only one who looked at the 60k one and thought "bleh"? That brownish-orangish tint to the red really puts me off.

Now that one's a banger. And honestly, the inclusions don't bother me much. You know, it's curious, there was a point some time ago, maybe 6-12 months, when I'd see pretty watermelon tourmalines all over instagram. I haven't been there much lately though, so I don't know what the situation is now.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this one. I wanted one with a distinct white line, but also vibrant color. Is the line undesirable? I don't know, but I thought it was cool.
Not 50/50 color split, but I like it!

Like emeralds, very hard to photograph!
IMG_20190722_083431~2.jpg

IMG_20240308_072657406~2.jpg

You can really see the white line in this photo.
IMG_20240308_072219955.jpg

Last edited:

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It gives me fond memories of paging through library books about gems and minerals as a kid! I saw a piece that was accented by matching colored gemstone halo that I thought was pretty neat. Can't remember the designer now for the life of me but it was nicely done.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I check one of my pricing guides, and they are showing for stones 10 to 20 ct. bi color with very vivid red and green, wholesale price of $460 per ct for eye clean stones. Another guide has similar prices.

I see these in rough from time to time, but they are a gamble when cutting. The bi color tourmaline are more prone to crack along the color division than other tourmaline. This can happened when the stone is warmed in the dop process, or during cutting. I have had a few break in half as soon as you touch them to the cutting lap as the stones have an internal stress. Once they make it through the cutting process I wouldn't think you would have any issues.

The stones that are cut as slices with a green outside and pink/red inside are called Watermelon tourmaline, the ones shown in this thread are usually referred to as bi-colored tourmaline. They can be red/green, green/blue, red/blue, and a few other colors.

co

they are so pretty :kiss2:
completly off topic but in the summer i make watermellon salad with cubed watermellon, spinach, lamb and capsicums (bell pepper) plus lots of fresh finally chopped mint, i dress it with mint sauce but you could use any clear dressing like a Thai salad dressing, its ment to have feta but we hate feta so we use parmasan

somewhere i have this cool rock (brought from scratch patch in Cape Town) it looks like a slice of watermellon, -its in a box in the garage somewhere ????

Now I'm hungry... that sounds so refreshingly delicious!!
drool.gif

There just aren't that many in existence that are clean like that in such large sizes. I imagine when they rarely find them in that quality in Maine it's immediately whisked into private collection. I think the only way you'd find any that clean would be to have a buyer tour gem shows to procure or something like that. There's one out there tucked away somewhere.

And for me, if I'm paying 60k, I want less brown!

Indeed! This coming from the girl who just set a truly brown stone. lol But still, I hate brown where it's not "supposed" to be, if that makes sense.
nuts.gif

I think watermelon tourmalines are super cool! I actually just received one today (my first!) - a relatively small one with pastel colors. I would love to have a slice with nice saturation in the future. I’m totally following this to see what you end up with! :) IMG_6869.jpeg

Isn't that lovely... such a calming color combo. Nice and clean too! Definitely a watermelon tourmaline in my book, just a softer version.

I have a 25 carat one that is saturated, but super included. It’s in my bank vault so I don’t have any photos, sorry :(

For some reason, the prices on this material is going through the roof, and like you say, most are pastel, or brownish in the red end, like the one you posted.

I prefer the Afghan pastel stones to ones that are deeper in color, but too brown on the red end or too olive/yellow on the green end.

In any case, I’ll try to look for a photo of my tourmaline. I bought it decades ago, but it’s too included for a piece of jewelry. I’m afraid it will crack.

ETA; found an old rubbish photo of my tourmaline. It’s more saturated IRL. IMG_1772.jpeg

Just... wow. She's huge. I have never, ever seen such a richly saturated, deeply toned watermelon tourmaline. Like, ever. I'm not surprised to hear it's also heavily included. That sort of speaks to my "theory" (not that it's rocket science) that as the color deepens with the addition of more trace elements, the internal characteristics also increase. It's beautiful though! Do you think it'd be safe to set in a pendant? Such a great size for it!!

Am I the only one who looked at the 60k one and thought "bleh"? That brownish-orangish tint to the red really puts me off.

Now that one's a banger. And honestly, the inclusions don't bother me much. You know, it's curious, there was a point some time ago, maybe 6-12 months, when I'd see pretty watermelon tourmalines all over instagram. I haven't been there much lately though, so I don't know what the situation is now.

Me too! It seems like the truly vivid (but slightly included) watermelons were more plentiful maybe a year or 2 ago. Now that I'm looking for them... nothing spectacular. Figures. :roll2: The one you liked has perfect coloration and a nice, even 50/50-ish split of color (which is important to my OCD-suffering brain). It was listed for almost $9,400 though, and I just don't want to spend that kind of money on this gem.

Yeah, I agree, the clarity on that $60k stone is fabulous and just the sheer size is impressive. But to me, the colors are definitely meh. I'd rather have a "banger," as you say (love it), that's smaller but with a better hue/saturation.

I have this one. I wanted one with a distinct white line, but also vibrant color. Is the line undesirable? I don't know, but I thought it was cool.
Not 50/50 color split, but I like it!

Like emeralds, very hard to photograph!
IMG_20190722_083431~2.jpg

IMG_20240308_072657406~2.jpg

You can really see the white line in this photo.
IMG_20240308_072219955.jpg

No the white line is desirable! (It's the rind of the watermelon!! lol) The more distinct the color transition, the more valuable. And the colors on this stone are nice and vivid... no brown at all. I also think the clarity looks pretty darn good. She's a winner in my book. :dance: How big she be?

I check one of my pricing guides, and they are showing for stones 10 to 20 ct. bi color with very vivid red and green, wholesale price of $460 per ct for eye clean stones. Another guide has similar prices.

I see these in rough from time to time, but they are a gamble when cutting. The bi color tourmaline are more prone to crack along the color division than other tourmaline. This can happened when the stone is warmed in the dop process, or during cutting. I have had a few break in half as soon as you touch them to the cutting lap as the stones have an internal stress. Once they make it through the cutting process I wouldn't think you would have any issues.

The stones that are cut as slices with a green outside and pink/red inside are called Watermelon tourmaline, the ones shown in this thread are usually referred to as bi-colored tourmaline. They can be red/green, green/blue, red/blue, and a few other colors.

I was thinking of what a nightmare they must for lapidaries... not only the fragility issues due to inclusions, as you said, but also properly orienting the color zones. :shock: I honestly don't know how you guys do it. It's a magical talent.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Hi there. Add this classic piece to your watermelon tourmaline eye candy folder. One of the best I've seen.

I have more of an interest in the tri-color material (thead here). The addition of another color means more factors to balance like even color split. I didn't a want 70% green, 20% red, 10% blue stone. So my experience is not 100% relevant to your search but hopefully a little helpful.

I only found a tiny amount of very expensive, small, beautiful Brazilian pieces and the pastel pieces, mostly from Afghanistan, which may have been irradiated. I ruled out the Brazilians due to the size and price factors. After some thought I also lost interest in the pastel look.

Time passed and I comissioned a ~3ct Mozambique tri-color from GemGalleryAfricaZA on Etsy (pics below). This material is uncommon and I was lucky to come across it.
While none of the colors are the pinnacle of what a rubellite, indicolite and green tourmaline can achieve, for me this stone is an excellent compromise bewteen all the factors that were important to me. I feel my ones red is not as good as your 'Now THIS is the color I'm after' video but is certainly redder than some of those you posted (that 60k one is brownish orange to me, not red... sorry!). The Etsy vendor has more of this material, so they might also have good watermelon ones. I did not ask about those.

Photo 1 is the uncut crystal, 2+3 by window light, 4 in the shade, 5 direct sun, 6 overhead white artificial light, 7 yellow artificial light.

Hi there. Add this classic piece to your watermelon tourmaline eye candy folder. One of the best I've seen.

I have more of an interest in the tri-color material (thead here). The addition of another color means more factors to balance like even color split. I didn't a want 70% green, 20% red, 10% blue stone. So my experience is not 100% relevant to your search but hopefully a little helpful.

I only found a tiny amount of very expensive, small, beautiful Brazilian pieces and the pastel pieces, mostly from Afghanistan, which may have been irradiated. I ruled out the Brazilians due to the size and price factors. After some thought I also lost interest in the pastel look.

Time passed and I comissioned a ~3ct Mozambique tri-color from GemGalleryAfricaZA on Etsy (pics below). This material is uncommon and I was lucky to come across it.
While none of the colors are the pinnacle of what a rubellite, indicolite and green tourmaline can achieve, for me this stone is an excellent compromise bewteen all the factors that were important to me. I feel my ones red is not as good as your 'Now THIS is the color I'm after' video but is certainly redder than some of those you posted (that 60k one is brownish orange to me, not red... sorry!). The Etsy vendor has more of this material, so they might also have good watermelon ones. I did not ask about those.

Photo 1 is the uncut crystal, 2+3 by window light, 4 in the shade, 5 direct sun, 6 overhead white artificial light, 7 yellow artificial light.

This was such an interesting post! And your gem is so unique!! I love the distinct transition into all 3 colors... and it's really clean. It's just stunning. Kudos.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results