shape
carat
color
clarity

Water Opal

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Ugh. Lots of documentation to track down for the PayPal’s resolution center and it’s not very user-friendly, either. I am so annoyed. :(

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Just to be clear, and not trying to be discouraging, you have looked at the stone in direct sun, and you do have pictures, right? In the pictures you showed, the lighting seems pretty soft:
opal1.jpg

opal2.jpg

I ask because the Mexican fire opal I've shown before looks much less dramatic in softer light. Here's the pic I showed: Mexican.jpg

Unfortunately, it's out being set now, so I can't show soft light pics for comparison. But I can say that while these pics aren't enhanced (or at least, not much), the stone was deliberately and unashamedly lit to perfection. I wasn't trying to sell anything, rather trying to show the wonders of nature.

Did the vendor claim an unconditional return policy? If so, you would seem to have a watertight case. If not, trying to argue 'not as described' could be tricky. FWIW, the vendor's pic doesn't obviously look enhanced to me, but it does look carefully lit and angled. It shows some fogginess, and you would be arguing about the degree. So you may not have a clear-cut case.

I hope this turns out well.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I asked seller for the address to return the opal to. He responded, informing me in spanish something about how the color flashes don’t always show and telling me to send photos of the opal before he will discuss a return.

I feel like this is disingenuous game playing. He is the one who posted the enhanced photos and sold me an item that looks nothing like them and that is certainly not worth over $500. Now on top of my having to deal with that, he is acting like I need to prove something to him, instead of apologizing.

Instead of going down that road, I told him again the opal is not as portrayed, and that I need the return address to avoid a Paypal case and poor review.

He answered, repeating that I need to send pictures, in daylight.

I no longer trust him so instead have reported the issue to PayPal. At this point, I can not recommend this vendor.

Don't mess with this guy. File the PayPal case. You will win it.

Show his picture & yours. Show what he has written you back regarding a return for refund.

While it is true that just like any other gemstone Opal can look better in some lights than others (diffused sunlight on a cloudy day will absolutely mute Opal color play) as long as there is good light Opal fares out pretty well in showing its colors.

To be honest, his picture was not impressive, but I did not want to say anything to hurt feelings. If the Opal looked like his picture, it would bump it up to $20.00 a carat at the most.

The problem with water transparent Opal is that in most cases the play of color is weak. There are exceptions but this Opal here is no exception.

File your PayPal case.

landscape

Shiny_Rock
This one is not quite like European water opal, it may be Mexican fire opal, which should be more stable than water opal. But this one really doesn’t look good. Returning it is a good option.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
This one is not quite like European water opal, it may be Mexican fire opal, which should be more stable than water opal. But this one really doesn’t look good. Returning it is a good option.

Many Welo Opal are water clear just like this. Had countless ones. I bet anything it is Ethiopian.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Update: Paypal refunded my money for the water opal. :)

I had checked the box "return for a refund" but wasn't asked to return it, probably because the seller didn't respond to PayPal. I doubt I'll ever do anything with it, it but it's nice to avoid the hassle of an international return.

I'll have to be sure to look at Etsy seller return policies more closely in the future. This one said something about return policy being listed with the item, but then I don't think anything actually was listed with the item.

Anyway, thanks for the input, everyone. Much appreciated!

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Update: Paypal refunded my money for the water opal. :)

I had checked the box "return for a refund" but wasn't asked to return it, probably because the seller didn't respond to PayPal. I doubt I'll ever do anything with it, it but it's nice to avoid the hassle of an international return.

I'll have to be sure to look at Etsy seller return policies more closely in the future. This one said something about return policy being listed with the item, but then I don't think anything actually was listed with the item.

Anyway, thanks for the input, everyone. Much appreciated!

Good for you! :):):)

That is why I always say, have the vendor send a PayPal invoice for payment.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just say I’ve bought several opals from this vendor and his photos are always the same as the stones I’ve received. He has some really fine opals. If you search on my name or the sellers name you’ll see two that I’ve posted. One looked like an alien world and the other had a fabulous rainbow in it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

The vendor has good reviews and lots of them so I was surprised, not only at the huge variance between all of the vendor pics of the stone and its actual appearance in real life, but also about him arguing with me about it, when I received it and contacted him. He had a third chance to work out the situation with PayPal but did not reply to the case at all.

I would have just returned the stone for a refund. Or considered exchanging it for a different stone at first, but I can't deal with someone who insists that obviously highly inaccurate pictures are actually accurate and fair.

It's a shame my transaction went the way it did. But I'm glad yours worked out for you, anyway. :)

Last edited:

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
The vendor has good reviews and lots of them so I was surprised, not only at the huge variance between all of the vendor pics of the stone and its actual appearance in real life, but also about him arguing with me about it, when I received it and contacted him. He had a third chance to work out the situation with PayPal but did not reply to the case at all.

I would have just returned the stone for a refund. Or considered exchanging it for a different stone at first, but I can't deal with someone who insists that obviously highly inaccurate pictures are actually accurate and fair.

It's a shame my transaction went the way it did. But I'm glad yours worked out for you, anyway. :)

Number one importance, never buy an Opal on pictures. Always ask for a video if none is offered.

Also, hate to be a snob (not really) but most people have never bought a top Welo Opal or seen one. I may get flack for this but nevertheless, unless you've had the best, the rest are mediocre, and the only way to know that is through much experience or a honest vendor

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Number one importance, never buy an Opal on pictures. Always ask for a video if none is offered.

Also, hate to be a snob (not really) but most people have never bought a top Welo Opal or seen one. I may get flack for this but nevertheless, unless you've had the best, the rest are mediocre, and the only way to know that is through much experience or a honest vendor

Thank you. Will definitely do so next time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results