shape
carat
color
clarity

Water Opal

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So pretty! I just love opals.

I've been eyeing it for a while. I hope it looks that good in person. Lately I've been sending back about half of what I buy. It's just hard to tell from a photo, for me anyway. :)

Last edited:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've loved their IG posts of these water opals. Enjoy!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I have one of these and it's magic. How are you planning to set it?

I haven't gotten that far yet. Do you have pics of yours? :)

ETA: I'm thinking definitely white gold though. Diamonds surrounding it somehow if it's a ring. Or I might use small colored stones instead, if any of the opal colors stand out enough for it.

I also might set it in a simple solitaire pendant, with the opal sideways and the chain attached on each side.

Not sure if it matters more to me to protect the opal (pendant) or be able to see it when I wear it. :)

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have this new pretty on the way from OpalosTamayomx on Etsy. Stats: 12x10x9mm, 5.25 cts. A little over $500 on sale. I have been very bad lately. :evil2:

1702753751485.png

Not familiar with the term "water" Opal, however, this is a great jelly Opal!

DK :kiss2:

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
I'm always so nervous buying opals online, not knowing what it'll look like in regular daylight. My water/jelly opal looks a lot like this both online and in person so crossing fingers yours will as well! If you do go for a ring/be able to see it, just get a chunkier or bezel setting perhaps to protect it?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I'm always so nervous buying opals online, not knowing what it'll look like in regular daylight. My water/jelly opal looks a lot like this both online and in person so crossing fingers yours will as well! If you do go for a ring/be able to see it, just get a chunkier or bezel setting perhaps to protect it?

Thanks. Will definitely have to keep the softness of the opal in mind. Now I'm wondering if a bracelet is more protected than a ring or not. If so, that would be a good compromise, if the opal was more protected AND I could see it when I wear it. ?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve bought quite a few from that seller and never been disappointed. I’m sure you’ll love it when it arrives.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
is it here yet?
probably not a good week to be waiting for a package

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It doesn't look like it's even been shipped yet. ;(

oh for goodness sake :x2
its not like you guys take all of January off like down here
i got really lucky ordering a few things from an online bottle store i woiuld think based in Auckland on sunday night and they got here yesterday and that was slow cartage, not even a courier

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It's here and here are a couple of my attempts to get color to show up in it. In real life, it mostly just looks clear-ish without color or only vague color, not the vivid colors showing up in the vendor's photos. I was wondering why it was only listed as "AA" quality when it looked so colorful in the pics.

Also, it just came in a little plastic bag along with two freebie gems that look like harder stones than the opal. In other words, there was nothing protecting the opal from the other two stones. Correction: there was a lot of bubble wrap around the whole baggie at least but I'm still surprised the opal didn't arrive damaged from the other two stones.

Will probably return it or maybe upgrade, if there's something I like, after further discussion with vendor. I should probably start buying gems in person only but it's a lot harder to get to them that way!

opal1.jpg

opal2.jpg

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's here and here are a couple of my attempts to get color to show up in it. In real life, it mostly just looks clear-ish without color or only vague color, not the vivid colors showing up in the vendor's photos. I was wondering why it was only listed as "AA" quality when it looked so colorful in the pics.

Also, it just came in a little plastic bag along with two freebie gems that look like harder stones than the opal. In other words, there was nothing protecting the opal from the other two stones. Correction: there was a lot of bubble wrap around the whole baggie at least but I'm still surprised the opal didn't arrive damaged from the other two stones.

Will probably return it or maybe upgrade, if there's something I like, after further discussion with vendor. I should probably start buying gems in person only but it's a lot harder to get to them that way!

opal1.jpg

opal2.jpg

the 2nd picture looks pretty
but i feel dissapointed for you

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock

opal1.jpg

opal2.jpg

I'd move on and forget this vendor.

This was on sale for almost $100 a carat, right?

So many better Welo Opals in that price range and less (I take it this is a Welo Opal) out there by leaps ands bounds. This, $10 a carat by its self and less than that in a parcel of Opals.

I don't mean to be rude. I just don't like seeing people get taken.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock

So many better Welo Opals in that price range and less (I take it this is a Welo Opal) out there by leaps ands bounds. This, $10 a carat by its self and less than that in a parcel of Opals.

No, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. Thanks. :)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

@fredflintstone , can you suggest good opal vendors, especially of Ethiopian opal? Or is there a thread I missed about what to look for and who sells it?

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

opal1.jpg

opal2.jpg

Thank your for sharing your experience. I’m clueless about opal and am learning from you.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
@fredflintstone , can you suggest good opal vendors, especially of Ethiopian opal? Or is there a thread I missed about what to look for and who sells it?

There are some good American ones but I really don't want to suggest as I try not to show prefences for vendors, but again like I wrote it in another thread, it is all about security. FB, IG, Esty have some good dealers from America.

Just search them out on the search engines. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Well, I asked seller for the address to return the opal to. He responded, informing me in spanish something about how the color flashes don’t always show and telling me to send photos of the opal before he will discuss a return.

I feel like this is disingenuous game playing. He is the one who posted the enhanced photos and sold me an item that looks nothing like them and that is certainly not worth over $500. Now on top of my having to deal with that, he is acting like I need to prove something to him, instead of apologizing.

Instead of going down that road, I told him again the opal is not as portrayed, and that I need the return address to avoid a Paypal case and poor review.

He answered, repeating that I need to send pictures, in daylight.

I no longer trust him so instead have reported the issue to PayPal. At this point, I can not recommend this vendor.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results