shape
carat
color
clarity

Walked into Costco to change my membership card...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this 1.69 ct central stone intense yellow diamond ring and liked it. I compared it with the one I have - need to send it to GIA but it will probably be appraised as intense, I assume. But it is antique hence the cutting is not as brilliant. Anyhow, I liked the oval, it is VS1, I think elongated rings look good on me. I bought it. What do you think? Costco stuff is returnable

ETA the oval is the new one.
The second picture is when I put my antique next to it to compare and we closed them from the bright light. The lowest one inside my car. 5ED2F1D5-44DE-44B5-96FC-62AE12DE7268.jpeg

Attachments

• D6520953-6AB6-4C6C-A88B-ABAE60C2D877.jpeg
    D6520953-6AB6-4C6C-A88B-ABAE60C2D877.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 25DC3FEA-830C-402D-8EE2-C90A08A8D4B3.jpeg
    25DC3FEA-830C-402D-8EE2-C90A08A8D4B3.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 71

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Ooo pretty!
I bet it is divine in soft lighting too!

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Oval looks more intense from the 1st picture. Love

Your spinel grabs my attention on the 2nd picture.

Your antique FYD looks slightly more greenish to me, which I like!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more - me, dangling out of the car, under our sky, trying to take pictures, lol! It is hard to take photos. I assume my old one has strong fluorescence so under any Fluor light it looks great. I can only guess but I think the newer one doesn’t but it stays yellow everywhere. It has no green or orange but the color is very clean. 3DF60D2F-124F-477C-B640-6C0DA92B2896.jpeg B000F8E6-3951-4E98-9F61-A7680C31E2D2.jpeg B4030ED4-6AB6-47FC-889E-943E90F3379F.jpeg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oval looks more intense from the 1st picture. Love

Your spinel grabs my attention on the 2nd picture.

Your antique FYD looks slightly more greenish to me, which I like!

Well, this spinel is a keeper, but I plan to certify and sell some other spinels now. And maybe some other stones, to cover part of the cost.

I don’t understand the diamonds at all but I think it is a decent start for someone who is all color.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
The new oval looks great against your skin tone! FYD doesn’t seem to work well on me. Washed off most of the time.

i lover all things about your silpinel ring! 3-stone setting and the spinel! No halo...yeah! Had to point that out again every time I see it. What color are those side diamonds?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is absolutely stunning! Love it!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new oval looks great against your skin tone! FYD doesn’t seem to work well on me. Washed off most of the time.

i lover all things about your silpinel ring! 3-stone setting and the spinel! No halo...yeah! Had to point that out again every time I see it. What color are those side diamonds?

If I remember correctly, H.

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Does the oval have a “cup” under the basket?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

We have similar skin, only my hands are red from the cold ))) But I like the color and the cut. I looked at the certificate, it has no fluorescence- maybe this is why it is more stable in different lights?

What Costco seems to have is good return policy.
If I find any vivid to my liking, then I hope I can still return it. If it got worse, I shall let you know.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful but is it a natural yellow or treated? Yellow diamonds can be brown ones exposed to HPHT treatment to change their colour. i think you need a good lab report to detect the treatment but it is permanent (doesn’t fade or anything).
your spinel is in a class of its own.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hubba hubba, I like the yellow and classic setting. Ditto on lab memo and what everyone else says about the spinel. THE spinel.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful but is it a natural yellow or treated? Yellow diamonds can be brown ones exposed to HPHT treatment to change their colour. i think you need a good lab report to detect the treatment but it is permanent (doesn’t fade or anything).
your spinel is in a class of its own.

By GIA, the color origin is natural. It has GIA cert, and it is laser-inscribed.

(I read that IF fancy nowadays can not even be told apart from artificially made, but this one is VS1, so should be OK?).

I don't know how else to check? I shall ask my jeweler to check laser inscription under the microscope. This is all that I can do, I guess.

I think the flaw is that it is rather thin as compared to W/L - 8.66 x 6.42 x 3.92. But no bowtie, and looks very brilliant.

I look at it and look and on one hand, I would prefer a vivid, but on the other, I like this color. It stays yellow under artificial light, too.

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
GORGEOUS spinel and oval yellow diamond! :kiss2: Enjoy them in good health!

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t know Costco sold antiques. :twirl: What a lovely find.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You new ring doesn't seem to have that cup or that little "bezel" could be it? Can't tell from the picture.

Here are the threads about it...

Pros and cons of cupping yellow diamonds?

yellow diamond enhancement cup -- would this one work?

Yes, now i understand. I heard one jeweler calling it "mirrors", lol. I have another ring with a cup.

No, there is no cup in this ring. It is set high - my preference - and pretty open to light.

ETA: I read Kenny's comment about cups trapping dirt - can not agree more!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn’t know Costco sold antiques. :twirl: What a lovely find.

No. ))) I walked with the antique one on and saw a yellow diamond. I was after a vivid one, but I like the clean color of this one and also, it is elongated and I need elongated rings.
Costco sells a lot these days.
My "catch":

- a diamond ring
- two Samsonite bags
- two iPhone chargers

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
...I don't know how else to check? I shall ask my jeweler to check laser inscription under the microscope. This is all that I can do, I guess...

I am able to read the GIA inscription with just a 10x loupe, have you tried? Might need to flash the light at a right direction sometimes.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
No. ))) I walked with the antique one on and saw a yellow diamond. I was after a vivid one, but I like the clean color of this one and also, it is elongated and I need elongated rings.
Costco sells a lot these days.
My "catch":

- a diamond ring
- two Samsonite bags
- two iPhone chargers

Hahaha silly me. I was like “what fancy Costco is this?”

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am able to read the GIA inscription with just a 10x loupe, have you tried? Might need to flash the light at a right direction sometimes.

OMG, no, for this, I have bad eyesight. I was slightly far-sighted when born, and at that time it was considered “great eyesight”. (I understand the mechanic behind it - in ancient times, “good eyesight” meant “can hunt”, as to craft, well, one can hold items farther away while working at them, right?) With age + inevitable pressbyopia = I can not see small items close. Farther, yes, still very well.

I have jeweler’s goggles. Maybe them plus a loupe?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, it is a totally different animal, a diamond. I like its dispersion. I would like a vivid but at the same time, I twice confused someone’s sapphires with FVD. Obviously, I need to look at them.

I don’t know what I shall end up doing, but it looks OK tonight. And you are right, it pales in comparison to a spinel so maybe not a good idea to wear them together.

If someone feels I should return it, please post, I shall not be upset, as it was an impulsive buy.

Last edited:

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
I personally & normally enjoy rings from an arm length distance. Are you enjoying the view of the new oval yourself...?

Just posting this out for fun. HW didn't pair yellow with fire red either. ;)2

hw.jpg

Last edited:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! Well done in the yellow!!! Your rings are amazing and another compliment on that spinel!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results