shape
carat
color
clarity

Vrai settings

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Hi there. I'm looking for some advice on settings.

My fiance proposed with a custom designed ring from Vrai. But it's started to bend a little and it's only been a month and a half, which breaks my heart because I love my ring.

The (very kind) rep at Vrai offered to fix the setting for free, or suggested resetting the stone in their new settings which are .25mm thicker in the band and have a slightly different (stonger) basket.

She said they can rotate the setting so it is east to west like the one he proposed with.

I'm hoping someone here knows about the quality of Vrai's current settings or can make an educated guess on durability of the setting based on the photos.

new settings:

Current bent setting (I bent it back by hand after this):

Attachments

• 20191226_135150.jpg
    20191226_135150.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 20191226_135016.jpg
    20191226_135016.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 123

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Do you all think these tweaks would be enough to make the ring durable, or should we look elsewhere for a new setting?

My diamond is a lab 1.65 VVS emerald cut.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
photo of newer setting design from their site for those who don't like links :)

Screenshot_20200106-141352_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200106-141336_Chrome.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry to hear of the problem with your setting :( it looks very nice!

May I check what width the current and potential replacement ring are? They both look pretty thin, and (IIRC...) anything under 2mm has the potential to be weaker than a thicker shank.

Personally speaking I prefer the basket on the first ring - it looks a lot more elegant to my eyes than the basket on the second ring - but if it is not a strong arrangement, strength will need to trump beauty.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for taking the time to comment!

I believe is 1.5 original, 1.75 new. So still really thin.

We could ask for no pave, which might make it a little stronger but my fiance specifically mentioned he chose it because of the pave detail.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not at all surprised that a 1.5mm thick ring with pave and the basket attached in only one place began to bend. That's just asking for it, really. To me it looks like you might be lucky to have not lost the entire head of the ring. The suggested replacement does look more durable, but only slightly so, and if you bent your ring after only 1.5 months, I'd bet even with the suggested replacement you'd see bending within a year or two. The hand-forged makers, whose work is a lot stronger than that of Vrai, usually won't do pave bands under 1.8mm, and in cast metals we usually suggest not under 2mm, and they still require care in wearing. I would either find a setting elsewhere, or go with a plain shank on this ring (which will make it not a little stronger but a LOT stronger), and get a pave wedding band.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for taking the time to comment!

I believe is 1.5 original, 1.75 new. So still really thin.

We could ask for no pave, which might make it a little stronger but my fiance specifically mentioned he chose it because of the pave detail.

Blimey... 1.5mm is more delicate than I've seen mentioned on here before, so I'm not surprised if it has bent a little!

1.8mm seems to be the generally recommended minimum shank width, so you should be safer if you change it, but it could be worth checking what the position is if you find you have issues with that one as well.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also want to ask about your wear habits - do you take your ring off when you are lifting things, carrying groceries, washing dishes, doing laundry or other chores, exercising, sleeping, etc? Or are you wearing it for many if not all of those things? Do you WANT to wear it all the time or are you fine with taking it off then? If you want to wear your ring all the time, pave, a head that sticks up, and a skinny band are very much not recommended.

The only Vrai setting for an emerald cut that looks to me like it would hold up to wear-all-the-time habits without getting damaged is this one: https://www.vrai.com/engagement-rings/hover?metal=yellow-gold&bandAccent=plain&diamondType=emerald

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
I am not at all surprised that a 1.5mm thick ring with pave and the basket attached in only one place began to bend. That's just asking for it, really. To me it looks like you might be lucky to have not lost the entire head of the ring. The suggested replacement does look more durable, but only slightly so, and if you bent your ring after only 1.5 months, I'd bet even with the suggested replacement you'd see bending within a year or two. The hand-forged makers, whose work is a lot stronger than that of Vrai, usually won't do pave bands under 1.8mm, and in cast metals we usually suggest not under 2mm, and they still require care in wearing. I would either find a setting elsewhere, or go with a plain shank on this ring (which will make it not a little stronger but a LOT stronger), and get a pave wedding band.

Do you have a suggestion of someplace to go for a more durable setting?

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
Do you like the first style of setting better than the second? If so, I’d ask for a refund for the setting and take the stone to an experienced designer / jeweler. That style is beautiful, but delicate and I think calls for someone who really knows what they are doing. The craftsmanship looks shoddy to me, and that beautiful stone deserves an equally beautiful and well made setting. I like what Vrai is trying to do within the industry, but their settings aren’t well made enough yet, hopefully their quality will improve.

Don't give up the pave for added strength, you shouldn’t have to! If they can’t deliver, that’s on them. You shouldn’t have to compromise. I wouldn’t want a band less than 2mm.

I’m biased, I know, because David Klass made my ring, but I highly recommend his shop. His prices are reasonable, his designs are breathtaking and they are a dream to work with. Too long of a story, but my ring ended up in Alaska (I live in California) and they immediately (with 5 mins) responded to my email and got it back on track. Vrai’s ring is pretty, but David or another experienced shop can make you one that is much more personal and special to make up for having to give up the ring you were proposed to with.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2mm is the magic number most jewelers recommend at a minimim (either width or height of the band). You can look up Stuller settings for some reasonably priced premade options that most jewelers can source, there are a bunch of threads on those and also on thin/delicate bands. Good luck!

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
I also want to ask about your wear habits - do you take your ring off when you are lifting things, carrying groceries, washing dishes, doing laundry or other chores, exercising, sleeping, etc? Or are you wearing it for many if not all of those things? Do you WANT to wear it all the time or are you fine with taking it off then? If you want to wear your ring all the time, pave, a head that sticks up, and a skinny band are very much not recommended.

The only Vrai setting for an emerald cut that looks to me like it would hold up to wear-all-the-time habits without getting damaged is this one: https://www.vrai.com/engagement-rings/hover?metal=yellow-gold&bandAccent=plain&diamondType=emerald

I take it off for cleaning/gardening/showering/sleep, and work a desk job, but really don't want to have to baby it for 60 years.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always hate to talk money, but if you did wish to look elsewhere, what sort of budget could be available for a setting?

Knowing that might help narrow down or open up options! :)

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
I'd have to think about it. I believe this setting was around $800-900 from looking at their site, but I don't know how that works if we could get money back or not.

If not I'd expect a similar price range maybe? Open to suggestions.

I prefer a simple, clean design and sleek lines. I want the main stone to be the focus. And I really love the east to west.

I need to talk to my fiance. I let him know it bent, but I fixed it before he saw it and I need to figure out how to approach discussing a new setting.

He's pretty sentimental.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's important to remember that you are not at fault here - you have worn the ring as it is intended to be worn, arguably taking more care of it than some people would by taking it off to do manual jobs, but because they have designed such a narrow ring, it is not as strong as other options could be.

You and your fiancé chose it and bought it in good faith - if it was not made explicitly clear that it was not a daily-wear ring, they must surely take some responsibility for that.

$800-900 certainly isn't a small budget but I am not sure if it would enable you to purchase a hand-forged ring from one of the usually recommended vendors, such as Leon Mege or David Klasse, who tend to be on the expensive side, so I feel it could be worth having a look around for potential replacement options from other vendors - you might be able to find another option that is similar in design but stronger :)

You could also go ahead with the replacement from Vrai in the meantime and see how that goes, if you are happy with the design.

I am wondering if it could be an option to purchase something like an eternity ring or even just a plain band of similar width, and then get it welded/joined to the current ring - it would add some strength and could look nice, and when you get married, you could have it removed and your wedding ring joined to it :) I'm not sure if you might still have issues with the basket, but it could be an option!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thing to consider is any ring where the head (top) connects to the band at one point is going to be vulnerable. Maybe Vrai would let you change to a different type of setting that has 2 points of contact with the band for free or a small fee. That's probably what I'd try before buying a whole new setting....frankly I think it's irresponsible of them to sell that design with such thin metal for something that takes a lot of abuse like an engagement ring.... :/

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
I think it's important to remember that you are not at fault here - you have worn the ring as it is intended to be worn, arguably taking more care of it than some people would by taking it off to do manual jobs, but because they have designed such a narrow ring, it is not as strong as other options could be.

You and your fiancé chose it and bought it in good faith - if it was not made explicitly clear that it was not a daily-wear ring, they must surely take some responsibility for that.

$800-900 certainly isn't a small budget but I am not sure if it would enable you to purchase a hand-forged ring from one of the usually recommended vendors, such as Leon Mege or David Klasse, who tend to be on the expensive side, so I feel it could be worth having a look around for potential replacement options from other vendors - you might be able to find another option that is similar in design but stronger :)

You could also go ahead with the replacement from Vrai in the meantime and see how that goes, if you are happy with the design.

I am wondering if it could be an option to purchase something like an eternity ring or even just a plain band of similar width, and then get it welded/joined to the current ring - it would add some strength and could look nice, and when you get married, you could have it removed and your wedding ring joined to it :) I'm not sure if you might still have issues with the basket, but it could be an option!

I really want a plain gold band to wear together or separate after we get married, so no welding.

That's always been my dream ring for some reason!

We are in a place financially where we can afford a more expensive setting if it means a more durable one. I just hate to ask him to spend more when we thought this was a completed purchase you know?

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Another thing to consider is any ring where the head (top) connects to the band at one point is going to be vulnerable. Maybe Vrai would let you change to a different type of setting that has 2 points of contact with the band for free or a small fee. That's probably what I'd try before buying a whole new setting....frankly I think it's irresponsible of them to sell that design with such thin metal for something that takes a lot of abuse like an engagement ring.... :/

The redesigned/new design attaches in 2 places if we opt for that.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I have serious concerns for the durability of the new setting that they're offering. Even at 1.7mm wide, the depth is only 1.6mm per their site. I worry that the pave diamonds will eventually fall out, and/or the band will warp. I also love delicate, thin rings, but they have to be really well made and I don't think Vrai is there yet.

If it were me, I'd rather spend extra money and go custom so the ring can be made at the proper depth to be really thin. If your fiance is sentimental, perhaps you could have an anniversary band made from the diamonds of the original setting, and wear it on your right hand.

Kayelle

Rough_Rock
Interesting to see a Vrai ring in 'person'. I was considering their rings but didn't like the new settings - like you I thought the old style seemed more elegant.

Learnt a lot just from reading your thread - I was also considering a 1.5mm band but don't want to have to baby it so I may do 2 or 2.5mm.

How did you go getting it fixed?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting to see a Vrai ring in 'person'. I was considering their rings but didn't like the new settings - like you I thought the old style seemed more elegant.

Learnt a lot just from reading your thread - I was also considering a 1.5mm band but don't want to have to baby it so I may do 2 or 2.5mm.

@sprinklesparkles

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock

I wound up sizing it down for now. I thought I was a 6.5 but actually am a 4.75....eeek. That made a big difference.

It seems more stable now, so I'm leaving it until I can make a decision on whether or not to reset it.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Well yikes. It seems the decision has been made for me, as I fell down some steps today and my landing did this. We lost two stones.
20201229_214947.jpg
20201229_214935.jpg 20201229_215009.jpg

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Update!

Vrai is now saying they won't reset unless we pay $1200 for a new setting.

It would be a whopping 0.2mm wider, so not going down that rabbit hole.

♀️

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ugh, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. How stressful!

Their settings seem very flimsy. The way the head is designed - one whack and you could break it off, not to mention the thin shank.

Folks here can help you find other designs! David Klass is not terribly expensive (much less expensive than Leon Mege - hand forged will cost you a pretty penny)

Definitely the ring off until you can get a new setting if you haven't already.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
wow...so sorry to hear that. All my rings are 1.5mm (micropave) and I have been wearing them without issues. I used a plastic ring snugger at the back of the ring to prevent scratches and absorb stress when I was dong heavy duty stuffs.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
If your fiance is adamant about getting a pave ring, it's worth reading this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ke-off-what-would-you-do.261901/#post-4865520

img_7858-jpg.795262

In short, a lady had her 2+ct MRB set on a fairly thin pave band and the head broke off with the diamond. It wasn't insured and she had been out all day so could have broken off anywhere. Fortunately it had ended up in the ice compartment of her fridge so I'd say that's where it broke off. The overall consensus was that the setting was way too delicate to support the rock.

I think your delicate setting is perfect for a petite stone but at 1.6ct, your stone deserves to sit on something more sturdy. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this stress and that Vrai hasn't stepped up to the plate terribly well (I'll keep that in mind!) but maybe see if you can get a Stuller setting brought in by a local jeweller? You can most definitely have a pave ring that is durable but I'd get as close to 2mm as possible.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
If your fiance is adamant about getting a pave ring, it's worth reading this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ke-off-what-would-you-do.261901/#post-4865520

img_7858-jpg.795262

In short, a lady had her 2+ct MRB set on a fairly thin pave band and the head broke off with the diamond. It wasn't insured and she had been out all day so could have broken off anywhere. Fortunately it had ended up in the ice compartment of her fridge so I'd say that's where it broke off. The overall consensus was that the setting was way too delicate to support the rock.

I think your delicate setting is perfect for a petite stone but at 1.6ct, your stone deserves to sit on something more sturdy. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this stress and that Vrai hasn't stepped up to the plate terribly well (I'll keep that in mind!) but maybe see if you can get a Stuller setting brought in by a local jeweller? You can most definitely have a pave ring that is durable but I'd get as close to 2mm as possible.

Ooof, thank you for that thread. Read the whole thing.

We'll be asking the jeweler for something more sturdy for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results