shape
carat
color
clarity

VP pick named.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One like is not enough for this post, @Rhea !!!

Thanks for writing it out so succinctly

Trump does appear to be dismantling the USPS, just in time for absentee ballots to not make it back. It will hurt both major parties. It disenfranchises people and that's a problem. We need more people voting, not fewer. Let's not stick our heads in the sand, this is a direct attack on absentee voting.

Funding to the USPS has been cut so severely and now with Louis DeJoy as Postmaster General, Trump's cronnie who took over in May, it's gotten even worse. Once the USPS goes away or is cut down to make it completely ineffective it won't just come back easily, if it comes back at all. Americans rely on it, especially those in smaller, more rural communities, who by-the-by do tend to be more conservative voters. My concern is that Americans seem to be fine with rights being infringed (ie, less polling stations in poorer or black communities) on until it's them. I get the impression that until rural conservatives realise it might be them this November they just won't care about USPS.
(:wavey: Hi, Dad! I'm talking to and about you.)

It's such a divided country and divisive period in history. It cannot, absolutely cannot, be all fine until they come for you. It has to be a problem when anyone in power attempts to silence anyone weaker or less powerful. I don't think that's ever going to happen. It's getting worse and that scares me.

I'm not sure that any of these sources are "both sides" enough to get everyone up in arms, but it seems true, and this shit has got to stop.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/13/donald-trump-usps-post-office-election-funding

www.edition.cnn.com/2020/08/13/politics/trump-usps-funding-comments-2020-election/index.html

www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2020/08/13/trump-admits-to-blocking-usps-postal-service-funding-over-mail-in-voting

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Yup...This is why Trump will win re-election. LAW AND ORDER!

Thank you for examples of the lawless President’s use of his own personal CBP militia to terrorize US citizens (usually they just stick to terrorizing immigrants).

I saw this poster recently. Many parallels can be drawn here between Trump’s recent actions and this list.

29330381-C09C-44FD-80C4-D819B7E232D1.jpeg

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Trump does appear to be dismantling the USPS, just in time for absentee ballots to not make it back. It will hurt both major parties. It disenfranchises people and that's a problem. We need more people voting, not fewer. Let's not stick our heads in the sand, this is a direct attack on absentee voting.

Funding to the USPS has been cut so severely and now with Louis DeJoy as Postmaster General, Trump's cronnie who took over in May, it's gotten even worse. Once the USPS goes away or is cut down to make it completely ineffective it won't just come back easily, if it comes back at all. Americans rely on it, especially those in smaller, more rural communities, who by-the-by do tend to be more conservative voters. My concern is that Americans seem to be fine with rights being infringed (ie, less polling stations in poorer or black communities) on until it's them. I get the impression that until rural conservatives realise it might be them this November they just won't care about USPS.
(:wavey: Hi, Dad! I'm talking to and about you.)

It's such a divided country and divisive period in history. It cannot, absolutely cannot, be all fine until they come for you. It has to be a problem when anyone in power attempts to silence anyone weaker or less powerful. I don't think that's ever going to happen. It's getting worse and that scares me.

I'm not sure that any of these sources are "both sides" enough to get everyone up in arms, but it seems true, and this shit has got to stop.

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/13/donald-trump-usps-post-office-election-funding

www.edition.cnn.com/2020/08/13/politics/trump-usps-funding-comments-2020-election/index.html

www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2020/08/13/trump-admits-to-blocking-usps-postal-service-funding-over-mail-in-voting

Thank you for writing this. One point you made that really struck me was regarding Americans not caring until their own personal rights are infringed upon. I wholeheartedly agree with this, the lack of empathy in some is astounding.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Below are excerpts from "Kamala Harris, The Prosecutor Trump Fears Most" by Timothy Egan.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, our case today is against the most powerful man in the world. And using the most powerful weapon of government by the people, you can hold this man accountable for the first time in his life, when you pass judgment on Nov. 3.

We will show that President Trump has made a mockery of the Constitution, has lied to you more than 20,000 times and is currently trying to sabotage the Postal Service in a desperate bid to cling to power. But worse than any of that, he is responsible for thousands of Americans who have died during his willful mismanagement of the pandemic. The case against him is 'open-and-shut,' as your prosecutor said Wednesday, and factually incontrovertible.

(snip)​

Let the record show that she has already called him what he is. 'I know predators, and we have a predator living in the White House,' she said last year. 'The thing you must importantly know, predators are cowards.'

So, to the case: Let’s begin with the loss of more than 165,000 lives from Covid-19 in the United States, on Trump’s watch, and maybe as many as 200,000. Each of them had a story, a life, people they loved and were loved by. Now gone before their time. Their voices cry out from the grave.

You’ve already heard that the United States, with barely 4 percent of the world’s population, has 25 percent of the coronavirus cases. And that the U.S. leads the world in total number of deaths, with a fatality rate five times higher than the global average. Remember that the next time he praises himself.

But just consider a single day, Tuesday, when Joe Biden announced Harris as his pick. Covid-19 took the lives of 1,450 people in the United States on that one day. For Canada, it was four. Trump owns this failure. We are a pariah nation, shunned and pitied, unable to travel outside our borders, prisoners of his fatal malfeasance.

Some of you have excused this president’s incompetence, his quackery, his buffoonery, his vile character, his consistent insults of women, minorities, the free press, the courts — so long as it was just the daily respiration of a narcissist. But we know now, and you must never forget, that his ignorance is lethal.

Other countries in the world — the places where people are watching sports in stadiums, where kids are going to school without fear, where businesses have been saved — had a national plan. Trump has never had one. Instead, he tweeted conspiracy nonsense from an ex-game show host and promoted ingesting household disinfectants.

The presidency, as Biden says, 'is a duty to care.' This president has failed at the primary duty to keep you safe. Every day, he’s finding new ways to make your life miserable. He is actively working to take away health care from millions, through his assault on Obamacare. His attack on the Postal Service, if successful, is not just an attempt to break this democracy, but could also deprive many of you from getting your lifesaving meds on time.

But the economy, he will say. It was the best ever until the pandemic. Not true. With his tax cuts for the rich that blew a trillion dollar hole in the federal budget, he promised economic growth of up to 6 percent. It never got to even half that high in the first three years of his presidency. Unemployment now is at Depression-era levels.

'He inherited the largest economic expansion in history,' as your prosecutor said. 'And then, like everything else he inherited, he ran it straight into the ground.'

What has this president done to protect his base of working-class whites, many of them deemed 'essential' workers? Nothing. As we speak, he’s trying to take away the rights of workers to sue an employer in an unsafe workplace.

He will distract you by trying to tie the Democratic ticket to the intolerant, mob-ruled far left, epitomized by the Jacobins on the Seattle City Council who recently hounded out the city’s first female African-American police chief. But those who rule by bullhorn and bullying have nothing in common with your prosecutor and her running mate. As she has said, 'No good public policy ends with an exclamation point'”

He will even say that Joe Biden, a Roman Catholic who regularly attends church, is 'against God'” The last time Trump went to church he used chemical irritants against peaceful protesters to get there, for a photo op.

Most of you have made up your mind. For those who haven’t, the prosecutor will close with what she opened with. The United States is 'in tatters' Look around at the shuttered businesses, the hospitals stuffed with those struggling to breathe, Americans at each other’s throats. This president offers you no way out. You alone can show him the door."

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
People get prescriptions by mail. Some people still get SS checks by mail. And can anyone tell me what purpose shutting off/removing the sorting machines at the post office has, other than making it hard to vote by mail?

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
People get prescriptions by mail. Some people still get SS checks by mail. And can anyone tell me what purpose shutting off/removing the sorting machines at the post office has, other than making it hard to vote by mail?

I’m currently waiting for an updated SS card with my married name to be delivered to me thru USPS. The only option to change my name was by mail-in application as the SS offices have been closed since March due to Covid. I am also currently waiting on a new driver’s license which will be delivered to me by USPS. Also, I need to update my passport and you guessed it, only USPS can deliver to the passport agency PO Box. I can not fathom how these agencies will operate without USPS. If USPS fails who will coordinate the switch over to commercial mail services?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is none, but it doesn't matter. It is a moot point because no one has to prove that he wants to suppress the vote. He is admitting it

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I’m currently waiting for an updated SS card with my married name to be delivered to me thru USPS. The only option to change my name was by mail-in application as the SS offices have been closed since March due to Covid. I am also currently waiting on a new driver’s license which will be delivered to me by USPS. Also, I need to update my passport and you guessed it, only USPS can deliver to the passport agency PO Box. I can not fathom how these agencies will operate without USPS. If USPS fails who will coordinate the switch over to commercial mail services?

Oh well. Too bad for you. Its more important that Trump is able to make it difficult to vote by mail so he can try to manipulate the election.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
There is none, but it doesn't matter. It is a moot point because no one has to prove that he wants to suppress the vote. He is admitting it

Oh I know. I'm just wondering what justifications will be made by Trump supporters.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

He said this yesterday. Read article.

"President Donald Trump escalated his attacks on mail voting on Thursday, when he seemed to say clearly what he has insinuated for months: that his opposition to funding the U.S. Postal Service, and additional election resources, is part of a deliberate effort to make it more difficult for Americans to vote by mail in November".

scouty

Brilliant_Rock

Oh well. Too bad for you. Its more important that Trump is able to make it difficult to vote by mail so he can try to manipulate the election.

Thursday morning Trump railed against USPS and mail in ballots, admitting that he is withholding necessary funding for USPS due to this. (mail in ballots = BAD!!).

But the day before, on Wednesday, Trump and Melania applied for their mail in ballots for Florida primaries. (mail in ballots = GOOD!!)

Does the man have multiple personalities or something? Do they change with the day of the week?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Thursday morning Trump railed against USPS and mail in ballots, admitting that he is withholding necessary funding for USPS due to this. (mail in ballots = BAD!!).

But the day before, on Wednesday, Trump and Melania applied for their mail in ballots for Florida primaries. (mail in ballots = GOOD!!)

Does the man have multiple personalities or something? Do they change with the day of the week?

They don't change. They're always for what's best for Trump. Voting by mail is best for Trump. Everyone else? Go stand in line, possibly for hours.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
They don't change. They're always for what's best for Trump. Voting by mail is best for Trump. Everyone else? Go stand in line, possibly for hours.

The epitome of hypocrisy and narcissism.

I’m convinced he’s so obsessed with winning the election because he thinks being President will keep him out of jail.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
The epitome of hypocrisy and narcissism.

I’m convinced he’s so obsessed with winning the election because he thinks being President will keep him out of jail.

I can't think of any other reason.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for the vote by mail idea. I think you should have to show an I.D. to vote. Otherwise it's useless

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
There's no problem with voting by mail. That's nothing but a bunch of obvious lies by Trump.

Trump has even admitted he only wants to curtail it because he thinks he has a better chance of winning if certain voters are suppressed.

Voter suppression is a federal crime, by the way.

It's sad that so many people have fallen for Trump's propaganda and do not realize that our democracy is currently under fascist takeover by Trump at this time. If he "wins" again, we are toast.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
There's no problem with voting by mail. That's nothing but a bunch of obvious lies by Trump.

Trump has even admitted he only wants to curtail it because he thinks he has a better chance of winning if certain voters are suppressed.

Voter suppression is a federal crime, by the way.

It's sad that so many people have fallen for Trump's propaganda and do not realize that our democracy is currently under fascist takeover by Trump at this time. If he "wins" again, we are toast.

Even without Trump's input, there are some that want to make it as difficult to vote as possible, because a low turnout often favors republicans.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yup, on full display here. Facts are indeed meaningless. What happened to critical thinking skills?
The criticism from the right is that even if Trump said the sky is blue the left would call him a liar. I never want to think delusion could be that strong but I believe it is where Trump is concerned.

Trump is the boy that cried wolf too many times, so it's inevitable that some people will think twice even if he were to say that the sky is blue.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care for the vote by mail idea. I think you should have to show an I.D. to vote. Otherwise it's useless
I have had done both by mail and inside a voting booth.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump votes by mail, so does his cabinet, so do soldiers away at war, citizens in the wide world, old people and people with low/no mobility and.......

Republicans always do better than Democrats with the mail-in (absentee) votes. (They are the same thing.) Always. Long time Republicans are angry that Trump (a lifetime Democrat) is totally unaware of this.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me voting in person is impossible this year. Either mail in or no vote.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results