shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Vintage T&Co 21ct unheated star sapphire in OEC halo ring

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Celebrating reaching one year of being a mother with this amazing ring! So happy to share it with you. It’s really difficult to photograph star sapphire; only video truly can do it justice.

Attachments

• IMG_6416.jpeg
    IMG_6416.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_6417.jpeg
    IMG_6417.jpeg
    208.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6420.jpeg
    IMG_6420.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_6419.jpeg
    IMG_6419.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6414.jpeg
    IMG_6414.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6413.jpeg
    IMG_6413.jpeg
    285.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6412.jpeg
    IMG_6412.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 115

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to follow you on IG (but had to delete my account and make a new one) so I know having a baby was a dream of yours, so I’m so happy you were able to make it a reality. This is a dream ring, congrats on all your blessings.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing! Congrats!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Congratulations!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
I love the setting and the OECs are bright white! Star sapphires are mesmerizing and what a treat for it to be a Tiffany!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to follow you on IG (but had to delete my account and make a new one) so I know having a baby was a dream of yours, so I’m so happy you were able to make it a reality. This is a dream ring, congrats on all your blessings.

Thank you so much! And thank you for following me (for as long as you did)!

It took us 7 years and sooo many surgeries and ended up almost killing me. I coded 5 times and ended up in the ICU. It’s changed my perspective on life so much.

I spent many years avoiding jewelry, selling it to fund other things (including IVF), feeling guilty about loving jewelry as it’s “extra”, etc.

But I’m trying to get back to not feeling shameful about it anymore, enjoying life as it happens, doing what makes me happy (within reason) including building back up my jewelry collection.

And now I have an excuse— progeny to pass it down to. Haha!! If my baby doesn’t like jewelry, maybe their future partner or children will.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone needs to explain the science of star sapphires to me like I’m 5. Does the star location angle change based on the direction of the light source? Bare with me here, I know it moves around…. But earlier in the day, I had to hold my hand at an angle for it to be centered. Right now, it’s centered smack dab straight on.

IMG_6423.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The silk inside the gem refracts the light to make the star, and usually the center of the star where the legs meet will be where the light source is coming from. Imagine the light source shooting a ray of light at your gem and where the ray hits the gem will be the nexus point of the star.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
It’s absolutely beautiful! And wow you’ve been through so much! I’m glad you’ve come back to jewels and are able to treat yourself!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, @madelise - this is such a significant piece, and so warranted. It's utterly beautiful - but not as beautiful as the gift you received a year ago.

Hoping you wear it in joy and good health for many years and that your daughter will always know how precious she is to you.

<3

ETA Also hoping she grows up to love bling as much as her mamma!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your baby and your bling. Your new ring is gorgeous.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, pregnancy in itself is hard but you’ve really been through it. I’m so glad you had a happy ending and now a baby AND beautiful star sapphire. I just got my first one and they are magical, I’m not even into colored stones much but stars are an exception. You can’t get much better than a Tiffany star sapphire, that is all kinds of special.

Can’t wait to see your other whopper you’ve got coming too :D

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The silk inside the gem refracts the light to make the star, and usually the center of the star where the legs meet will be where the light source is coming from. Imagine the light source shooting a ray of light at your gem and where the ray hits the gem will be the nexus point of the star.

This is very helpful, thank you. For a moment, I thought I had a subpar cut sapphire that cut off the star wrong hahaha. Phew.!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, pregnancy in itself is hard but you’ve really been through it. I’m so glad you had a happy ending and now a baby AND beautiful star sapphire. I just got my first one and they are magical, I’m not even into colored stones much but stars are an exception. You can’t get much better than a Tiffany star sapphire, that is all kinds of special.

Can’t wait to see your other whopper you’ve got coming too :D

I’m not that into colored stones, either, because they don’t translate well in still photography. Like beautiful bright colored stones sometimes look better in pics, and have zero appeal in person because they don’t actually sparkle the way diamonds do. But I found I like colored stones that have movement— opals and star sapphires just do something to me! So fun to sit there and move your hand around to watch the movement just like diamonds. A different type of “sparkle”!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m not that into colored stones, either, because they don’t translate well in still photography. Like beautiful bright colored stones sometimes look better in pics, and have zero appeal in person because they don’t actually sparkle the way diamonds do. But I found I like colored stones that have movement— opals and star sapphires just do something to me! So fun to sit there and move your hand around to watch the movement just like diamonds. A different type of “sparkle”!

This is what I love about star sapphires too! They are so special on sunny days.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That’s a stunner!! I adore star sapphires so much!! And to have the OEC halo and Tiffany to boot…did I already say wow?
Congratulations on your new gorgeous bauble and adorable bundle. Wishing you a lifetime of happy moments with both!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your little one and an absolutely gorgeous ring! Star sapphires are so magical.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Someone needs to explain the science of star sapphires to me like I’m 5. Does the star location angle change based on the direction of the light source? Bare with me here, I know it moves around…. But earlier in the day, I had to hold my hand at an angle for it to be centered. Right now, it’s centered smack dab straight on.

IMG_6423.jpeg

The star moves with the angle of the stone (tilt the stone to the right, the star moves to the right), against the viewing angle (move your head to the right, the star moves to the left) and against the angle of the light (if you light the stone with a flashlight and move the flashlight to the right, the star moves to the left.) That's what makes star stones so fascinating.

In a properly cut stone, if you tilt the stone to align the centre of the star with the surface reflection of the light, both should be at the top of the stone.

If you want to think about the theory, note that (in a properly cut stone) the needle-shaped rutile inclusions that cause the star all lie 'horizontally' (i.e. parallel to the base of the stone) There are three sets of them, oriented 120 degrees apart I'll leave the ray-tracing to you...

But I found I like colored stones that have movement— opals and star sapphires just do something to me! So fun to sit there and move your hand around to watch the movement

Yes! These stone are magical. Moonstones do this too.

Congratulations on your purchase and your child.

You may like to add this to the star sapphire thread:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-your-star-sapphires-and-rubies.231433/

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Star sapphires are so mesmerizing and your stone combined with OECs is spectacular! Congratulations on your ring and baby!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! I know nothing about star sapphires but yours looks like it is a really amazing one, the star is so clear and bright. And many congrats on the baby after all your struggles.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your baby and surviving the first year. What a wonderful way to celebrate and a lovely ring to go with it.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful and congrats!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gorgeous! Beautiful hands and nail polish!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Congratulations!!!! Sorry for your fertility troubles but very happy for your baby! And I have no idea where you could have found such a gorgeous ring--but you did and wear it in health and happiness!

cheers--Sharon

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness that is GORGEOUS!!! And it's Tiffany too!!!! Congratulations on your motherhood milestone!!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all, and thanks PS for the honor!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it. It’s stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results