shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage style setting opinions.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I have found the stone for my FBIL ring. The recipient will be referee to as L, goes forward, to make it easier on me :lol:
Here is the stone

We were thinking of setting it in a plain diamond band and having it E/W, but as she really likes vintage, and has slender hands, my FBIL and I like a different idea. She has no idea about the setting part. We want to keep that a surprise.

Please forgive my terrible Photoshop as it was done on my phone. But what dicyou think? Its a DZ setting. They said they could do it with an ec basket. I think it could be really killer but I have a few questions. Should the prongs be in yellow gold? She prefers white to yellow gold. I want to make the green stand out. So what would do that best.

Also have people used DZ before. Good quality melee?

Also general thoughts on the design are welcome. The budget for the setting is ideally less than 500 if others have idea.

uploadfromtaptalk1379003925638.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379003946616.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379004145543.jpg

TheGeckoLady

Shiny_Rock
I think that would be beautiful! I've only bought from them once and unfortunately I had to return the setting. It was a *really* inexpensive gold setting (no stones) I was going to use as a temporary setting. The casting was kind of lopsided so I returned it. But as little as I paid I think I got what I paid for. Their customer service was amazing though and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. I would just be clear about your expectations up front. Their prices are very appealing when you're on a budget!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a setting from DZ a few years ago and the melee quality was excellent, definitely better than settings I've purchased from other eBay vendors. I think that setting would be stunning with the stone you've picked, I would go for it! And I would do the whole thing in white gold if that's what she prefers. I personally think white metal makes the green stand out more.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1379079403|3520029 said:
I purchased a setting from DZ a few years ago and the melee quality was excellent, definitely better than settings I've purchased from other eBay vendors. I think that setting would be stunning with the stone you've picked, I would go for it! And I would do the whole thing in white gold if that's what she prefers. I personally think white metal makes the green stand out more.

Yeah see that's what I was considering. I think the yellow gokd would emphasize the yellow and I want to emphasize the green. I just don't want it to wash it out. KWIM?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Niel, I think you'll be happy w the DZ quality! I've seen several in person during my Chicago visits and my 3 stone OMC is set in a repro setting - they are beautiful melee!! I'm very happy with my ring (s! - I have the yellow sapphire baguette/diamond stacker band from them as well!) and the setting you've chosen is beautiful!

I hope she loves it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1379085413|3520090 said:
Niel, I think you'll be happy w the DZ quality! I've seen several in person during my Chicago visits and my 3 stone OMC is set in a repro setting - they are beautiful melee!! I'm very happy with my ring (s! - I have the yellow sapphire baguette/diamond stacker band from them as well!) and the setting you've chosen is beautiful!

I hope she loves it!

Awesome enerchi I was hoping you'd chime in as I think youre probably the PSer with the most DZ experience

What do you guys think of the overall design?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
No problem, Niel -- I have bought a few pieces from Ilya and know he`s a great person to work with - he`ll work with modifications and is very budget aware, so I think you`ll end up with a ring that she will ADORE!!

I love the setting you have selected, its keeping the `step`look going as the side diamonds mimic what the stone is doing. Very nice! do you have a profile shot

(something weird w my key board -- hope this is showing up as normal font and punctuation...)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it Niel! I agree with Enerchi, the angles of the setting complement the shape of the stone really well...and the diamonds are going to add a nice touch of bling! I think it's a great choice.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its current set with what I think is called a picture frame head (??) They said they could swop it out for a basket. Here's the pics as it sits currently. Also, do you think they could do a claw prong?

uploadfromtaptalk1379087912234.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379087925575.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1379087947074.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1379087363|3520110 said:
I love it Niel! I agree with Enerchi, the angles of the setting complement the shape of the stone really well...and the diamonds are going to add a nice touch of bling! I think it's a great choice.
Thanks. It'll end up being about $100 over my target budget unfortunately :(

But of course he was willing to pay even more if the ring was perfect, I've been the one out of the two of us keeping the budget near the original set amount. He's very content paying the $100 over. I just think an engagement ring should have diamonds, so just couldn't pull the trigger in a solitaire color stone ring. Plus, she wants diamonds I know that. She wants a colored center, but diamonds too And she sees herself as a rosie the rivetter type character so a vintage style is approiate. Plus, I think it plays well with the art deco type step cut of the center stone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't remember noticing claw prongs on all the pieces we looked at... let me go back and look at my pictures (they are all on the DZ Chicago GTG thread...) but maybe I've got a few close ups I did not post. (nope, no claw prongs on any of my pics)

I think if you ask, he will do his best. They have a bench on site and they are very good at engraving and milgraining, because they replicated those 2 elements on one of my rings, to a "T"!

One of the rings we saw was set E/W and had flat prongs - would you consider those on the corners of the EC chryso?? It might play well w the step aspect of the setting and the stone... Just a thought :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll have to see I think they were going to use an old mod of a ec head. They want me to send the stone so they can find a head that fits.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the stone came today. I am utterly certain the stone has to be set with yellow prongs. If you look st the photos the stone just comes alive on yellow gold compared yi white. My only concern is ; will yellow prongs be enough. I know she desires white gold. But I don't want to wash the stone out. Will the stone be sufficiently green if set in yellow gold next to white gold? uploadfromtaptalk1379176959960.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1379176949826.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results